A Modest Proposal To Thai Immigration Regarding Money Seasoning For Retirement Extensions

I rather like the option of simply posting an 800,000 baht bond in order to receive a retirement visa, with the bond refunded (with interest) upon leaving Thailand or death. That bond could be used to pay any debts to government hospitals.

I've seen too many cases where people played games with funds to maintain retirement visas -- and that's basically what JT's proposal is, yet another game scheme. But when the rubber meets the road (or more accurately the skin meets the pavement) what really counts is having a ready source of funds to met your medical bills at the public hospital -- which is where expats end up when they tell a private hospital they don't have funds.

It's amazing how fast dementia can set in with the over-70 crowd once they spend a few days in an ICU unit. People who were in control of their complex financial arrangements can soon become totally cluesless. I'm working with a man now who claims he has some off-shore accounts, something about Channel Islands, yet a search of his room didn't yield any helpful paperwork. (yes, he signed a limited power of attorney)

How much easier it would have been to simply post a bond with the Thai government to pay the bill at the government hospital! Sure, it wouldn't have earned huge interest rates, but at least it wouldn't have required the ability to play games to maintain.

I know I've be involved with other people who have simply forgotten where they stashed their money.

JT - you've started a very useful thread. It's as popular as the "What Happens when you beome old & infirm" thread, or whatever it was called. Perhaps there is a need for the mods to start a new "retirees in Thailand" forum.

Edit: Oopsie -- didn't realize Hubby was signed in. I borrowed his computer. I'm actually NancyL

Edited by RogerL
  • Like 1

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen too many cases where people played games with funds to maintain retirement visas -- and that's basically what JT's proposal is, yet another game scheme.

No.

Wrong.

Incorrect.

What I did post was simply a suggestion for a VERY TRIVIAL tweak to the already existing status quo. The concept of using the annually shown 800K (or its previous lower amount) is LONG STANDING option at Thai immigration for annual extensions based on retirement.

It used to be no seasoning was required. Then immigration decided to tighten it somewhat and require money seasoning. I am suggesting that established long term extenders have an option of avoiding starting all over just because they are late on their money seasoning. The full amount of course would still need to be there on application date.

Look, folks, Thailand offers NOTHING at all as far as increasing status/stability for LONG TERM retirees. The majority of other countries do offer a path for retirees towards permanent residence of even citizenship. I suggested a TINY little perk for longer term people. That's all. No game. No scheme.

If you're talking about requiring a 800K bond, how about something in return? A path towards permanent residence within a few years! Of course, Thailand will never offer such a thing to retired expats. We know that. So now expats are pushing for a crackdown when they know this is a country which will never offer US any stability, increase in status whatsoever. Crazy!

Edited by Jingthing

When and if I have to do it I prefer Darrel's method. keep the money in separate account whatever the amount.

Also I have not been a member of Thai Visa for more than 10 years. I seem to recall the Non Immigrant O based on marriage and the retirement Visa were 200,000 and 400,000 Baht respectively. It then doubled to 400,00 and 800,000 respectively with one change! If memory serves me right that happened while I was a member so it was certainly in the last ten years. i.e. a 100% increase.

Lets hope all these people wishing for the sum to be changed could cope with a doubling again???? Some threads never cease to amaze mewai.gif

Edited by maprao

When and if I have to do it I prefer Darrel's method.

Also I have not been a member of Thai Visa for more than 10 years. I seem to recall the Non Immigrant O based on marriage and the retirement Visa were 200,000 and 400,000 Baht respectively. It then doubled to 400,00 and 800,000 respectively with one change! If memory serves me right that happened while I was a member so it was certainly in the last ten years. i.e. a 100% increase.

Lets hope all these people wishing for the sum to be changed could cope with a doubling again???? Some threads never cease to amaze mewai.gif

Grandfathering on the old levels has SO FAR applied to previous raises in levels.

I also don't understand the expats cheerleading harsher requirements. I would have thought our role was to advocate for policies that are beneficial to us. They're the police. LITERALLY. We're the suspects from the point of view of the immigration POLICE. Is this some kind of Stockholm Syndrome phenom? Who ever heard of suspects demanding they be cracked down on harder? Again, other countries may require more, but mostly those that do OFFER much more! Paths to greater status. Sometimes even inclusion in national health programs. Thailand offers none of that to us and those who understand the culture here know for sure they NEVER will.

Edited by Jingthing

I've seen too many cases where people played games with funds to maintain retirement visas -- and that's basically what JT's proposal is, yet another game scheme.

No.

Wrong.

Incorrect.

What I did post was simply a suggestion for a VERY TRIVIAL tweak to the already existing status quo. The concept of using the annually shown 800K (or its previous lower amount) is LONG STANDING option at Thai immigration for annual extensions based on retirement.

It used to be no seasoning was required. Then immigration decided to tighten it somewhat and require money seasoning. I am suggesting that established long term extenders have an option of avoiding starting all over just because they are late on their money seasoning. The full amount of course would still need to be there on application date.

Look, folks, Thailand offers NOTHING at all as far as increasing status/stability for LONG TERM retirees. The majority of other countries do offer a path for retirees towards permanent residence of even citizenship. I suggested a TINY little perk for longer term people. That's all. No game. No scheme.

If you're talking about requiring a 800K bond, how about something in return? A path towards permanent residence within a few years! Of course, Thailand will never offer such a thing to retired expats. We know that. So now expats are pushing for a crackdown when they know this is a country which will never offer US any stability, increase in status whatsoever. Crazy!

This is not a battle between the Thai government and retired expats living in Thailand.

Improvements in immigration policy can benefit both Thailand and genuine retirees.

It seems you have some sort of "them against us" complex.

• Like 2

On one occasion a friend of mine was in trouble, and my situation was okay. I asked at my bank if I could do the back door smoke and mirrors thing, for my friend. I said, I know you do this.

They said, yes we do, but only Thai people can do. Farang cannot.

Jt needs to factor this into his proposal --- to paraphrase Bill Clinton -- it's about the economy, stupid.

Grandfathering on the old levels has SO FAR applied to previous raises in levels.

It's a risky assumption that this policy will continue. I say leave well alone. The Law Of Unintended Consequences will most certainly come into play, people deep into retirement could find themselves in an impossible and unsalvageable position. People approaching retirement now may find themselves with the rug pulled from under them.

Sometimes the best answer is do nothing. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

So the threadmaster is still around!

As for perks for long time retirees, I am surprised that no one has mentioned, that most (?) of those old folk are Thai married, which means you only need to show 400k=13.000$, which IMO is very generous rules by immigration. Seasoned or not really doesn't matter, with an amount that small. As for getting residency or citizenship, who cares, as long as we can stay here on fair terms and get on with our small lives.

You hear every day from people, who for different reasons cannot adjust to the system here, about the fantastic neighbouring countries. Do your homework! and realize how easy and CHEAP it is to be allowed to stay in this fantastic country, with all its faultswai.gif

• Like 2

I also don't understand the expats cheerleading harsher requirements. I would have thought our role was to advocate for policies that are beneficial to us. They're the police. LITERALLY. We're the suspects from the point of view of the immigration POLICE. Is this some kind of Stockholm Syndrome phenom? Who ever heard of suspects demanding they be cracked down on harder? Again, other countries may require more, but mostly those that do OFFER much more! Paths to greater status. Sometimes even inclusion in national health programs. Thailand offers none of that to us and those who understand the culture here know for sure they NEVER will.

I thought I read somewhere (on this forum) that retirees in Thailand are eligible to apply for citizenship (as long as they meet the same income and other requirements as other working expats applying for citizenship) but maybe someone can clarify.

My proposal of all retirees providing the Thai government with an 800k baht deposit (from which the retiree can still earn interest just as they would if they had it in their own bank account) to cover the cost of an emergency is hardly a crack down on expats.

Improvements in immigration policy can benefit both Thailand and genuine retirees.

Yes I would like improvements too. Like a trivial loosening the silly seasoning requirements for long standing retirees in good standing as I suggested. Like a path towards permanent residence which is something we all know we will never get but that is a reasonable thing to ask for. Like a special government health insurance program for retired foreigners where we can BUY into the plan. Why not private insurance you ask? Duh! Many older people can't buy meaningful private insurance, too many preexisting condition exclusions. Another thing we know we will never be offered Something offered by a number of other countries. Face facts, this is a country that already doesn't really want us much, we aren't really welcome we are only tolerated for money, and they will never offer us any longer term status longer than one year (everyone knows that, nobody can deny it) and you still want them to crack down on us more and offer nothing in return? Completely irrational. Edited by Jingthing

It's a risky assumption that this policy will continue. I say leave well alone. The Law Of Unintended Consequences will most certainly come into play, people deep into retirement could find themselves in an impossible and unsalvageable position. People approaching retirement now may find themselves with the rug pulled from under them.

It did when it went from 400,000 to 800,000 it increased by 100% in one step. So like me and the OP said let us hope all those advocating an increase can afford it when it happens. Expats should rally around and help each other and not pray for other expats demise!

I hope I am still around in 20 years time when the time comes for me!

Edited by maprao

I thought I read somewhere (on this forum) that retirees in Thailand are eligible to apply for citizenship (as long as they meet the same income and other requirements as other working expats applying for citizenship) but maybe someone can clarify.

My proposal of all retirees providing the Thai government with an 800k baht deposit (from which the retiree can still earn interest just as they would if they had it in their own bank account) to cover the cost of an emergency is hardly a crack down on expats.

No. There is NO path for permanent residence or citizenship for retired expats. First year, thirtieth year, SAME STATUS. No path whatsoever to increase status. That is wrong but I'm not suggesting that change seriously because that is the way this country is and retirees should know that BEFORE moving here. So you who have admitted you aren't even in this system have the unmitigated gall to suggest people on 800K not be able to spend on their accounts during the year when you should know we will never be offered anything better in return. You would be like the negotiator from hell. Edited by Jingthing

About "grandfathering" -- our condo building instituted a "no pets policy" effective 1/1/2012. We moved in with our cat about a month before. I talked with the condo manager, a fairly efficient Thai man and he said "it's OK you moved in before the rule". Then I said, "OK, that means my cat is grandfathered?" He looked very puzzled for a moment and said "No! No kittens!"

Someday the Thai authorities may be having kittens over all the unpaid medical bills from retired expats.

About "grandfathering" -- our condo building instituted a "no pets policy" effective 1/1/2012. We moved in with our cat about a month before. I talked with the condo manager, a fairly efficient Thai man and he said "it's OK you moved in before the rule". Then I said, "OK, that means my cat is grandfathered?" He looked very puzzled for a moment and said "No! No kittens!"

Someday the Thai authorities may be having kittens over all the unpaid medical bills from retired expats.

You come off as SMUG. You've got yours. Congrats.

Again if you are going to lobby that things get tighter for your fellow expats, at the very least suggest some conditional benefits in return, such as a path towards residence and a buy in insurance program. Don't suggest a tightening for ... NOTHING. So my logic is, sadly, we know we will get nothing even if we ask, so to lobby for a tightening is irrational and also very insensitive to people that are doing just fine but may not be as wealthy as you are. Let the tightening come from the Thai officials. Let our role to be more sympathetic to those that are in same boat as you, richer or poorer.

Edited by Jingthing

It did when it went from 400,000 to 800,000 it increased by 100% in one step. So like me and the OP said let us hope all those advocating an increase can afford it when it happens. Expats should rally around and help each other and not pray for other expats demise!

It's less than 4 four years in my case ( I'm 46 ), figures such as 800,000 baht and 65,000 baht are of no concern to me, good for me huh? However my point is it's not guys like me that will suffer, it's guys who are just on the edge of qualifying who will suffer.

My solidarity is with them. I think there's a bit of "I'm alright Jack" going on here, campaigning for minor changes to the retirement legislation may bring a spotlight on the fact that the figures haven't been reviewed for years.

Leave it alone, otherwise people are going to be faced with 1.6 million baht / 80,000 baht qualifying levels. As sure as night is day it's going to happen.

Even accepting the fact that current retirees may be grandfathered in, that raise in qualifying levels could devastate the plans of new retirees.

The concept that you can decide if a man is a worthy man due to the size of his bank balance offends me on every level, there are plenty of rich rats in the sewer. So yes, solidarity with fellow ex-pats, and no campaigning on a minor issue that could result in major changes to the qualifying levels.

• Like 1

Yes I would like improvements too. Like a trivial loosening the silly seasoning requirements for long standing retirees in good standing as I suggested. Like a path towards permanent residence which is something we all know we will never get but that is a reasonable thing to ask for. Like a special health insurance program for retired foreigners where we can BUY into the plan. Another thing we know we will never be offered Something offered by a number of other countries. Face facts, this is a country that already doesn't really want us much, will never offer us any longer term status longer than one year (everyone knows that, nobody can deny it) and you still want them to crack down on us more and offer nothing in return? Completely irrational.

As I keep trying to explain, I am suggesting an improvement to the immigration policy, not a crack down.

It would benefit most genuine retirees, especially those who feel an affiliation with Thailand and some care towards the Thai taxpayers.

Another group that will benefit, of course, are the frivolous retirees who over spend (possibly when under influence of alcohol or friendly native companionship) on unnecessary luxuries (like bottled water or soap) and get in a financial pickle at extension time and then try to blame their haphazard budgeting on changes in the seasoning rules. With the deposit bond, this couldn't happen because they wouldn't have access to the capital.

Edited by brit1984

It's less than 4 four years in my case ( I'm 46 ), figures such as 800,000 baht and 65,000 baht are of no concern to me, good for me huh? However my point is it's not guys like me that will suffer, it's guys who are just on the edge of qualifying who will suffer.

My solidarity is with them. I think there's a bit of "I'm alright Jack" going on here, campaigning for minor changes to the retirement legislation may bring a spotlight on the fact that the figures haven't been reviewed for years.

Leave it alone, otherwise people are going to be faced with 1.6 million baht / 80,000 baht qualifying levels. As sure as night is day it's going to happen.

Even accepting the fact that current retirees may be grandfathered in, that raise in qualifying levels could devastate the plans of new retirees.

The concept that you can decide if a man is a worthy man due to the size of his bank balance offends me on every level, there are plenty of rich rats in the sewer. So yes, solidarity with fellow ex-pats, and no campaigning on a minor issue that could result in major changes to the qualifying levels.

It pains me to admit it, but you were right. I naively hadn't realized my modest NARROW proposal would inspire such a WIDE lack of compassion towards fellow expats. It's weird and sad.

Again if you are going to lobby that things get tighter for your fellow expats, at the very least suggest some conditional benefits in return, such as a path towards residence and a buy in insurance program. Don't suggest a tightening for ... NOTHING. So my logic is, sadly, we know we will get nothing even if we ask, so to lobby for a tightening is irrational and also very insensitive to people that are doing just fine but may not be as wealthy as you are. Let the tightening come from the Thai officials. Let our role to be more sympathetic to those that are in same boat as you, richer or poorer.

What do you mean about insurance? Are retirees in Thailand not allowed to buy private health insurance?

Yes I would like improvements too. Like a trivial loosening the silly seasoning requirements for long standing retirees in good standing as I suggested. Like a path towards permanent residence which is something we all know we will never get but that is a reasonable thing to ask for. Like a special health insurance program for retired foreigners where we can BUY into the plan. Another thing we know we will never be offered Something offered by a number of other countries. Face facts, this is a country that already doesn't really want us much, will never offer us any longer term status longer than one year (everyone knows that, nobody can deny it) and you still want them to crack down on us more and offer nothing in return? Completely irrational.

As I keep trying to explain, I am suggesting an improvement to the immigration policy, not a crack down.

It would benefit most genuine retirees, especially those who feel an affiliation with Thailand and some care towards the Thai taxpayers.

Another group that will benefit, of course, are the frivolous retirees who over spend (possibly when under influence of alcohol or friendly native companionship) on unnecessary luxuries (like bottled water or soap) and get in a financial pickle at extension time and then try to blame their haphazard budgeting on changes in the seasoning rules. With the deposit bond, this couldn't happen because they wouldn't have access to the capital.

You can take your kindly concern and you know what with it (G rated). You don't fool me for a minute. You're not a retired expat and you don't care about retired expats. The status quo is fine for 800K qualifiers.

Changing a 800K requirement that you can SPEND from before the seasoning period and replacing it with a static account is YES a crackdown. A harsh one. Also, you don't even say if you would cancel the INCOME method and require everyone to buy that static bond.

I say, no thanks and hope you focus your energy on visa programs that apply to you and let us old people have our status quo, crummy as it might be, it's better than what you're peddling.

Edited by Jingthing

What do you mean about insurance? Are retirees in Thailand not allowed to buy private health insurance?

We're older. For a large percentage of us we can't buy meaningful insurance. For example, do you know how many older people are on blood pressure meds? If you have high blood pressure you can't buy coverage for anything related to the heart. Heart disease, strokes, etc. Maybe you're a Brit and don't understand such things. Some countries with retired expat programs offer buy ins to government insurance that yes does offer at least basic overall coverage. To put up a bond I would want something back, a path towards residence and an insurance scheme.

In any case, people considering retiring to Thailand. Please realize you will never be offered any long term meaningful status here. Why should we have great loyalty to the government of Thailand when we know we will never be offered a crumb of loyalty in return? That would be irrational.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

If you are so poor that you have to use that money, maybe it's time for you to go home?

You're joking right? Immigration officers LIKE to see spending on the account. That's our function. To spend.

It would be time to go home IF you are unable to top up the account for the upcoming extensions.

Sorry have to disagree with you on this one. the lady immigration officer I saw was so impressed I didn't need to use the 800K, she gave me the old "sweet eyes" look ! I kid you not! biggrin.png

If you are so poor that you have to use that money, maybe it's time for you to go home?

You're joking right? Immigration officers LIKE to see spending on the account. That's our function. To spend.

It would be time to go home IF you are unable to top up the account for the upcoming extensions.

Sorry have to disagree with you on this one. the lady immigration officer I saw was so impressed I didn't need to use the 800K, she gave me the old "sweet eyes" look ! I kid you not! biggrin.png

Maybe she just had the hots for you. There have been reports over the years of people with static accounts being asked about (or even to show evidence) how they DO get their spending funds here. Nobody has ever had a problem with haven't spent the account as long as the seasoning is met.

We're older. For a large percentage of us we can't buy meaningful insurance. For example, do you know how many older people are on blood pressure meds? If you have high blood pressure you can't buy coverage for anything related to the heart. Heart disease, strokes, etc. Maybe you're a Brit and don't understand such things. Some countries with retired expat programs offer buy ins to government insurance that yes does offer at least basic overall coverage. To put up a bond I would want something back, a path towards residence and an insurance scheme.

In any case, people considering retiring to Thailand. Please realize you will never be offered any long term meaningful status here. Why should we have great loyalty to the government of Thailand when we know we will never be offered a crumb of loyalty in return? That would be irrational.

As a Brit, the way I understood was that if you are planning to live abroad (without the safety net of the NHS) you need to get signed up with a global provider of private health insurance while you are still young (and stick with them) to avoid such scenarios, but maybe I am wrong.

@JT. quote:"and they will never offer us any longer term status than one year( everyone knows that, nobody can deny it"

With risk of called a troll, my visaextensions are five years at a time (present one expires 2016) and I don't have to show money. Not one single baht.

So I will actually deny your expertice.

But never mind. Thank you for starting a most enjoyable thread and for staying around to play with us.

Goodnight.

@JT. quote:"and they will never offer us any longer term status than one year( everyone knows that, nobody can deny it"

With risk of called a troll, my visaextensions are five years at a time (present one expires 2016) and I don't have to show money. Not one single baht.

So I will actually deny your expertice.

But never mind. Thank you for starting a most enjoyable thread and for staying around to play with us.

Goodnight.

Elite card? What are you talking about? We're talking specifically about those on RETIREMENT extensions. You got that detail right? Why bring up something so unrelated as if it proves anything? Edited by Jingthing

As a Brit, the way I understood was that if you are planning to live abroad (without the safety net of the NHS) you need to get signed up with a global provider of private health insurance while you are still young (and stick with them) to avoid such scenarios, but maybe I am wrong.

So I guess the 99 percent of people who didn't do that and are living in Thailand should just go home now. You want to improve the retirement system here? More like you want to thrash it.

You can take your kindly concern and you know what with it (G rated). You don't fool me for a minute. You're not a retired expat and you don't care about retired expats. The status quo is fine for 800K qualifiers.

Changing a 800K requirement that you can SPEND from before the seasoning period and replacing it with a static account is YES a crackdown. A harsh one. Also, you don't even say if you would cancel the INCOME method and require everyone to buy that static bond.

I say, no thanks and hope you focus your energy on visa programs that apply to you and let us old people have our status quo, crummy as it might be, it's better than what you're peddling.

Indeed, the status quo is probably better for you... I have tried to explain why changes could benefit other people but you seem to have no interest in matters of such irrelevance

Indeed, the status quo is probably better for you... I have tried to explain why changes could benefit other people but you seem to have no interest in matters of such irrelevance

You aren't interested in how your ideas could really HURT lots of OTHER people. You clearly have no interest in that and you clearly have no interest in real improvements for retirees here: path to residence and a buy in govt. insurance program. I don't believe you are being helpful at all. Also your ideas aren't even HALF baked. What about income people. How do you want to crack down on them as well? Only crack down on bank account people, is that your grand plan? Edited by Jingthing

You aren't interested in how your ideas could really HURT lots of OTHER people. You clearly have no interest in that and you clearly have no interest in real improvements for retirees here: path to residence and a buy in govt. insurance program. I don't believe you are being helpful at all. Also your ideas aren't even HALF baked. What about income people. How do you want to crack down on them as well? Only crack down on bank account people, is that your grand plan?

I showed an interest in both the insurance scheme and the citizenship scheme. Indeed, I would support both such proposals.

I think all retirees should have to deposit some funds with the Thai government in case of emergency (regardless of how they extend their visas).

As NancyL explained, this policy would deal with a very real problem (and could help both genuine retirees and the Thai taxpayers).

..... Like a special government health insurance program for retired foreigners where we can BUY into the plan. Why not private insurance you ask? Duh! Many older people can't buy meaningful private insurance, too many preexisting condition exclusions. Another thing we know we will never be offered.

Government health insurance is not the universal panacea (sorry) it may appear to be on the surface. In all instances it involves taking money from young, healthy, working people in order to pay for the care of old, unhealthy, retired people. And the sums don't and can't add up.

This notion (along with absurd unfunded pensions) is in the process of completely bankrupting the whole of the EU, yet hardly anyone mentions it. I dread to think what the consequences will be in just a couple of decades' time and I am absolutely delighted that I will probably have snuffed it by then and so hopefully won't see them.

Anyone under the age of 50 who doesn't have a shed-load of cash in the bank should be worrying today.