webfact

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a ridiculous article!

I think these countries would be much better served, if they urge there citizens not to come to Thailand at all. Now that will get some reaction from these children (Thai Government).

Are you going to recommend a destination that has the same things to offer as Thailand and no scams.

Burma. very much so. Unless you reckon that prostitution is something to offer. Ther are no crimes against tourists in Burma and it has everything. Also Sri Lanka has much more to offer.. Everyone speaks English and the country is far more beautiful.

Especially the Burmese health care system and highway and banking structure. If I needed to have a heart operation Burma would be the first place I would go.

• Like 1

Concerted efforts have been made by diplomats from Australia, Germany, the Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Britain

As far as French diplomats are concern, as one can read they don't give a dam_n!

Or is it a low profile after this Frenchman was caught with 97 credit cards 2 days ago? sick.gif

(I guessI am not the only Frenchman on Thai Visa)

No mention of American diplomats either.

And what about the Canadians.. or are they all wannabe French and Americans anyway!

Yes, I am positive that "urging local tourism operators to refrain from scam practices" will work. Because the jet ski and boiler room scammers, you know, listen to what the government tells them.

I think these countries would be much better served, if they urge there citizens not to come to Thailand at all. Now that will get some reaction from these children (Thai Government).

Are you going to recommend a destination that has the same things to offer as Thailand and no scams.

What is it that Thailand has to offer that is so great?

Is it all the polluted beches and national parks?

Is it the easy transportaion, that you take your life in own hands every time you step into a bus, van or taxi?

Is it getting poisoned in your hotel room?

Maybe getting food poisoning, thats always worthy of a return trip.

You tell me and I will give you a list of other places.

I am not saying there is not scams everywhere. Of course there is. is what I am saying is trying to get this government from the local to executive to do somthing. Maybe just try and enforce a law that is inplace.

I'm waiting on Burma to be sorted out good bye Thailand i can also see Burma doing really well also ...

Hey, c'mon folks, ya' gotta' give K. Chalerm a bit more time to clean up the mafia's. He did say 90 days would do the trick and by my reckoning he's got about 2 months to go. Just give the man a chance, will ya'?

Burma. very much so. Unless you reckon that prostitution is something to offer. Ther are no crimes against tourists in Burma and it has everything. Also Sri Lanka has much more to offer.. Everyone speaks English and the country is far more beautiful.

Especially the Burmese health care system and highway and banking structure. If I needed to have a heart operation Burma would be the first place I would go.

You are kidding, right?

My only question for the scratches on a jet ski, what are they hitting to do this? Floating rocks?

The jet ski's have already been damaged, and been repaired with a patch. So when someone first rents the jet ski and does a walk around, it looks like the jet ski is fine. However, once they get it out in the water and start bouncing around, the force of the water on the patch is often enough to dislodge the "repair". Then when the punter returns the jet ski, the operator points to the "old" damage, claims its new and demands thousands of dollars to repair it.

Also by law, all jet ski rentals are to include insurance which is supposed to cover any damage caused by the renter. This doesn't stop the operators from demanding large amounts of money to repair the damage, either claiming the insurance doesn't cover that particular type of damage or by demanding they be compensated for lost revenue while the jet ski gets repaired.

In addition, the jet ski operators usually surround the renter with a large group of toughs to intimidate the renter, and often have a friend on the police force who will come out to "negotiate" for the renter.

Edited by shawndoc

Is it the easy transportaion, that you take your life in own hands every time you step into a bus, van or taxi?

I am not saying there is not scams everywhere. Of course there is. is what I am saying is trying to get this government from the local to executive to do somthing. Maybe just try and enforce a law that is inplace.

I take it that you choose to live in some perfect country then? Could you tell us what planet it is on?

• Like 1

"Mr Suwat responded to the calls by saying that Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has instructed Deputy Prime Minister, Chalerm Yubamrung, who is in charge of security affairs, to devise measures to tackle the issue in a swift manner."

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I was about to make exactly your response, giggle.gif until I read down....

He's the &*#ker who controls all the ruddy scams, and she recommends him to devise measures. He already has, to cover his own ass and beneficial income... it's called the Pattaya/Phuket/Kho Phi Phi police constabulary - under the pseudonym - His Majesty's Bangkok Police. ohmy.png

-m. clap2.gif

Next time mel, next time.clap2.gifthumbsup.gifwai.gif

I take it that you choose to live in some perfect country then? Could you tell us what planet it is on?

clap2.gif He must be in the wrong forum.cheesy.gif

I wonder if any Government personnel or any other political employed people and the B.I.B. read the comments posted here on thaivisa?

They should realize what a hash they are making of the laws. Talking of laws .....I went to cross the road . I stopped and looked both ways. After proceeding 8 metres A motorbike came around the corner fast and nearly bowled me over. I also have seen a bus approaching a pedestrian crossing and the driver sounding his horn whilst children were crossing. I was disgusted with that.

My only question for the scratches on a jet ski, what are they hitting to do this? Floating rocks?

oooouuuu, the jet ski extortionists in Pattaya and Phuket. No Thai can touch that.

Chalerm, the man who harbored a murder suspect, is the best man for the job? .....the man who drinks whiskey on the job, claiming it's ear medicine ? Thailand must really be having a hard time finding decent people to fill top job positions. Alternatively, put farang cop in charge of cleaning up scams, and (if his efforts aren't continually impeded by entrenched interests) he'll probably do some good.

...... llegedly damaging jet skis or tricking visitors to pay through the nose for poor quality gemstones.

that sounds intresting....since about a month you will find DIAMOND shops in the entrance area of every TESCO LOTUS Market (the bigger ones)

I wonder since the beginning if these are really DIAMONDS they are selling there....I asked twice and they told me yes... Sorry but I doubt it,First I never heard of a DIAMOND industry and diamond mines in Thailand, second it must be millions in every shop then but I never see the BiB around like in Goldshops....

anyone a clue whats going on there? white saphires are not diamonds....and they not call it ThaiDiamonds, so are these things real diamonds?

Edited by moskito

...... llegedly damaging jet skis or tricking visitors to pay through the nose for poor quality gemstones.

that sounds intresting....since about a month you will find DIAMOND shops in the entrance area of every TESCO LOTUS Market (the bigger ones)

I wonder since the beginning if these are really DIAMONDS they are selling there....I asked twice and they told me yes... Sorry but I doubt it.

First I never heard of a DIAMOND industry and diamond mines in Thailand, second it must be millions in every shop then but I never see the BiB

around like in Goldshops.... anyone a clue whats going on there? white saphires are not diamonds....and they not call it ThaiDiamonds...so are these real diamonds?????

Typical thai goverment more interested in in correct spelling than trying to deal with a very serious problem that will in the long term hurt thailand and thai tourist industry were many many thousands of thai people work . t. i. t.

I note that several respondents state that foreign governments should recommend that their nationals not visit Thailand, yet these very same people are either resident in Thailand or are visitors. Think about it. The respondnets are aware of the "dangers" and yet still travel to or reside in Thailand. The warnings about jetski scams are on every major travel website. Most governments have advisories on their related websites and yet there are still people that will go and rent the jetskis. What exactly would a restrictive recommendation from a foreign government accomplish?

People have the option of not renting the jetskis. There iis absolutely no excuse for someone that has been ripped off by the jet skis to whinge. These people are engaging in irresponsible behaviour to begin with (and yes, the rental of the jetskis is a stupid selfish act because they are used in areas filled with swimmers, damage the environment with the noise and gas spillage and encourage organized crime, because it is common knowledge who and what is linked to the rental scams) and we're supposed to feel sorry for these renters? If a person wants to be irresponsible and has been warned, then tough tittie. Getting ripped off is well deserved and I have no sympathy.

Yes, the taxis and tuk tuks on Phuket rip tourists off. Is it as serious as the current LIIBOR scandal that once it unravels will show that multiple banks have cheated millions of people over the years? I don't think so. Overcharging someone A/US/C $20on a taxi ride is not worth a massive retaliatory response. Intervening when foreign nationals are harmed is justified. Unfortunately, in many cases, foreigners have engaged in irresponsible acts or have been responsible for their own demise (e.g. driving a motorbike without a helmet, transacting with nefarious types, associating with prostitutes). These "bad" foreigners make it very difficult for foreign governments to intervene. We've had several cases of foreigners stealing and making false claims. Everytime that happens, it undermines the efforts of the foreign diplomatic corps to protect the law abiding respectable foreigners. Visitors have to take control of their own destinies. It is their choice to take the junket to Thailand and to interact with many of these dangerous locals. It is common knowledge that their is lax approach to maritime safety and yet one will see tourists heading out on boats in dangerous weather conditions. All the foreign intervention in the world will not transfer common sense to some people.

You are right. Better than solving all of the above mentioned issues, better that all the tourists stay away, so they can't get scammed, hurt, disappointed or possibly killed.

Personally I would prefer that tourists coming to Thailand start doing so with their eyes wide open and remember to bring their common sense with them...

Agreed re awareness, my idea is that the only way to beat the scams is to dry them up, give them so much exposure so near all tourists will be aware. internet/media get as much info floated around. We will never see the end of scams if we ask the authorities to stop them--THEY RUN THEM. exposure/hot sun dries most things up.

oooouuuu, the jet ski extortionists in Pattaya and Phuket. No Thai can touch that.

Chalerm, the man who harbored a murder suspect, is the best man for the job? .....the man who drinks whiskey on the job, claiming it's ear medicine ? Thailand must really be having a hard time finding decent people to fill top job positions. Alternatively, put farang cop in charge of cleaning up scams, and (if his efforts aren't continually impeded by entrenched interests) he'll probably do some good.

You can't say things like that! He's the best PTP has. He's a hero.

It's a very sad state of affairs when foreigners, like myself, are afraid when driving past police, as many of us know from experience that when they see a white face they see an easy 500 baht.

The police have become what they are put there to protect us from.

saai.gif

Edited by mrbiggwigg

You can't say things like that! He's the best PTP has. He's a hero.

He's one of PT's favorite because he's such a dedicated lap dog (or attack dog, take your pick) for T. He saw where the most money was cached, and who was going to get the most power seats, so he jumped on board.

will it change anything ? NO of course .... As the corrupted police is a lot of involved in those scams nothing will stop . The only possible change would be when the amount of tourists bored to be seen as walking wallets will stop to come here.

Well I agree with you that it will not change any thing. But it does let the Thai government know that they are being watched. While they may not be in fact aren't the smartest in the world they are not dumb enough (I think) to completely ignore it.

As far as being seen as a walking wallet. That is common the world over in tourist destinations.

Really! They are not dumb enough?

You are joking right?

They are corrupt, not dumb.

... sure, crime is perpetrated in all countries ... no argument ... but, let's get real here:

• What separates Thailand from civilized cultures is that crime in Thailand is frequently official, institutionalized criminal activity in which Thai officials are themselves the criminal gang members.
  • What separates Thailand from civilized cultures is that victims in Thailand (especially foreign tourists) may expect no protection from the Royal Thai Police or the Thai judicial system ... Thai criminals may reasonably expect to easily get away with crimes against foreigners.
  • What separates Thailand from civilized cultures, is that when things go bad here, they get very bad, very fast ... "Thai bad" ... and when it goes Thai bad, there is nowhere for foreigners to turn for help ... foreign diplomats are largely helpless in the absence of rule of law.

... I am a long-time resident here and grow increasingly fearful of what I witness happening in Thailand... recognizing that foreigners are convenient, high value, low risk targets and totally defenseless, Thai criminals and the notoriously corrupt Royal Thai Police have grown increasingly bold and seem to have declared “open season on foreigners.”

... Christ, even the Royal Thai Police openly extort with impunity money from foreigners on the streets of tourist areas ... even I am accosted up and down Sukhumvit Road by Royal Thai Police, in the middle of the day, sitting at their roving card tables under their umbrellas, seeking to extort payments from me, the “foreign visitor” … if I speak no Thai to them, believing I am a foreign tourist, they squeeze and squeeze for anything they can get from me, the target-rich foreign visitor to their glorious Land of Smiles … the Royal Thai Police attempt visa violations (I am legal)… they attempt littering cigarette butts (I don’t smoke) … they attempt under influence of drugs (I don’t even drink) … they have even demanded to open my wallet and computer bag (which I absolutely refuse, for fear of the well-known planted evidence scam).

... how many capital cities in the civilized world can you name which have that going on in their streets? ... I've lived in 6 Asian natinos and worked on more ... I've witnessed this nowhere ... maybe there are examples in uncivilized African nations ... (ah! ... does a picture start emerging here?).

... former Far Eastern Economic Review reporter and long-time Asia correspondent Bertil Lintner published a fascinating book on the criminal gangs across Asia and their cross border networks … Blood Brothers: The Criminal Underworld of Asia … in 480 pages, Thailand conspicuously gets maybe four pages of coverage ... the author lived in Thailand … I wondered: “Why only four pages?” ... it occurred to me that the reason international criminal fraternities (Chinese Triads, Japanese Yakuza) proliferate throughout Asia, but fail to establish a presence in Thailand might be because the Royal Thai Police and their corrupt political and bureaucrat patrons are the mafia in Thailand.

... think about it ... look around us ... if you are believer in content analysis, the reporting of Thai officials criminal activities generates far more print volume than you would read in any civilized nation, even though the Interent is government censored and Thailand is credited with only a "partially free" press (as judged by international journalist organizations) ... criminal activity in Thailand may be safely perpetrated without the Royal Thai Police getting their cut.

the words “Thailand criminal nation” have begun to make more and more sense to me over the last decade.

… once foreigners are here and victimized, foreign diplomats are absolutely helpless to protect their citizens… I consider the foreign diplomatic corps here as irresponsible in not clearly informing their citizens of the criminal risks in visiting Thailand before they arrive here ... foreigners arrive here expecting Amazing Thailand ... as innocents, they far too often get something more akin to Sub-Saharan Africa.

Edited by swillowbee
  • Like 1

The best (and probably only) way to get some REAL results is when Australia, Germany, the Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Britain prohibit any tourist to go to Thailand, unless the problem is solved.

Then (a lot of) money is involved, and we all know that that would invoke a real response from the government. Money is ever so important (in Thailand)

If these countries just talk, whine and complain, nothing REAL will happen, only more blablabla from all involved.

This is a good one. Nothing ever gets done here, in regard to protecting tourists, unless there is extreme egg on the face, due to negative international media exposure. Then, and only then, does the feeble government kick into action, and make multiple pronouncements. The question is, will they arrest anyone, with the power and the cash to buy their way out of trouble? If so, will they get convicted? If so, will they actually serve any time? Thailand is probably the most lenient country in the developing world, when it comes to crime against tourists. It is not taken seriously by anyone, much less Chalerm or Yingluck. Very rarely does anyone serve prison time for an offense committed. Though I love this country dearly, they do little to protect the tourists, or the ex-pats living here. In many countries, it is the exact opposite. Here, mai pen rai.