What New Words That You Have Learnt Since Joining Tv?

David48

What new words – acronyms - terms that you have learnt since joining Thai Visa Forum?

English is a growing language, constantly embracing new concepts.

Plus words you used back home are sometimes new to us.

• Over on the Southeast Asia Forum I learnt the term crab mentality

• In Thai visas, residency and work permits I read the acronym FUBAR

• This week in on the Forum support desk I came across the word cooties

So the format please would be the Forum you found it in and the new words – acronyms - terms that you learnt

Related to Thailand how? … we expanded our knowledge base from TV … biggrin.png

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of the news section members came across "obfuscation" on here because they throw it around like confetti at every opportunity

Thanks for that ... new word learnt for me ... thumbsup.gif

So there is clarity about this topic ... please restrict your posts to new words that you have learnt.

Not words that you wish to teach others ... the thread will last a lot longer that way ... biggrin.png

Hummm ... some explainations needed!

"Newco" ... meaning "Radical plans for the biggest shake-up of Scottish football in 14 years will be placed before SFL clubs on Friday - in a desperate bid to persuade them to vote newco Rangers into the First Division"

"chang mae man" ... I don't know where to start with that? Chiang Mai Man maybe ... so it was a case of spell checking? or fat finger typing?

But "Doing a maigot" did stump, not only me, but Google also.

Somehow that search did point me back to a 4 year TV thread ??

I did search the database here and the only result was your referance.

Do tell us more ... biggrin.png

On the Farming Forum (I think) I read once where an Aussie Farmer named his (well, his wife’s really) Thai Farm ... 'didyoubringyourbeeralong'

Claimed it was an Aboriginal word ... but I think he was just pulling our chain.

I learned too many new words on TV, and i have to confess that is one of the main reasons why i am here...

...Now, slightly OT, one very funny word that i learned ( not on TV ) is " bamboozle " ... Which seems to have been created by the colonialists in India.

For example, i could say that we foreigners can be often bamboozled in the Land of Smiles..

Edited by mauGR1

"Newco" ... meaning "Radical plans for the biggest shake-up of Scottish football in 14 years will be placed before SFL clubs on Friday - in a desperate bid to persuade them to vote newco Rangers into the First Division"

"chang mae man" ... I don't know where to start with that? Chiang Mai Man maybe ... so it was a case of spell checking? or fat finger typing?

maginot perhaps in honour of the maginot line http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maginot_Line?

maginot perhaps in honour of the maginot line http://en.wikipedia....ki/Maginot_Line?

Best explaination that I've seen yet!

maginot perhaps in honour of the maginot line http://en.wikipedia....ki/Maginot_Line?

Best explaination that I've seen yet!

Could well be the meaning for that, as in "Over the Top".

Hey, I'm just a simple seafarer and not that fluent with keyboard jargon............as I am from the old school where gay used to mean "fun and happy", as we had a gay time at the carnival.

So I need an index to explain all the acronyms, synonyms, confusynyms and what the..ysms floating around.

So Dave.......new words I have learned......none! Cause I don't know what the bloody hell they mean. blink.png

• Like 2