My Tot Adsl Experience In Cm

wincen

Just leased a house for a year in Chiang Mai and the owner signed me up for TOT ADSL. I have the gold cyber 1024kbs for 1000b a month. I got the combined modem / wireless router. It was slower then a dial up service when it worked good and almost unusable the rest of the time. It would take 30 seconds just to open a text email on yahoo.

I complained and they did give me good service. They checked the line remotely that day and sent some one out the next day. They said the line was working at full speed and when the guy got to my home it happened to be working better. It never came close to 1024kbs but it was tolerable so I let him go.

Then the slowness and lost connections came back. I told the owner they should return all my money since they sold something they can't deliver. In a few days it started working fast and reliable. 30-70kbs when downloading. I doubt this is gold cyber speeds but it was 2-10kbs before.

The owner called me and the service center at the same time and we all talked. The owner translated. They asked me if it was better , I said yes. They told me they switched my line from a home line to something else (owner translation). They said there were too many customers on the line I was on and that the new line wouldn't be full for another year or so.

I thought this might interest people with similar problems. I don't know how there infrastructure works so I don't know if they physically switched a wire some where or if its a configuration thing on there computers.

Chok-dee

Edited by wincen

Just leased a house for a year in Chiang Mai and the owner signed me up for TOT ADSL. I have the gold cyber 1024kbs for 1000b a month. I got the combined modem / wireless router. It was slower then a dial up service when it worked good and almost unusable the rest of the time. It would take 30 seconds just to open a text email on yahoo.

I complained and they did give me good service. They checked the line remotely that day and sent some one out the next day. They said the line was working at full speed and when the guy got to my home it happened to be working better. It never came close to 1024kbs but it was tolerable so I let him go.

Then the slowness and lost connections came back. I told the owner they should return all my money since they sold something they can't deliver. In a few days it started working fast and reliable. 30-70kbs when downloading. I doubt this is gold cyber speeds but it was 2-10kbs before.

The owner called me and the service center at the same time and we all talked. The owner translated. They asked me if it was better , I said yes. They told me they switched my line from a home line to something else (owner translation). They said there were too many customers on the line I was on and that the new line wouldn't be full for another year or so.

I thought this might interest people with similar problems. I don't know how there infrastructure works so I don't know if they physically switched a wire some where or if its a configuration thing on there computers.

Chok-dee

Thanks, very useful info.

"Very useful" - but for what ??!! I signed my name (and paid Bht200.-)to join a list waiting for ADSL in the Doisaket area of Chiangmai aboput one year ago. TOT phoned 4 weeks ago to say they were ready to instal. They came & did - it worked OK - much slower than True in BKK - but faster than I was getting with old loxinfo - and then it cut after only a few days. Called TOT who came again and "fixed" it - it worked OK when the technician left but cut again after only half an hour. Called & TOT came again with the same techie and another guy - his 'boss' ? It worked OK when they left and then quit again the next day. This time, called TOT and complained strongly - the office said they had a problem with the TOT modem but the techie who later came said it was their "network" - his word in English ??? The techie again "fixed" it - but now you are getting the idea - right ? All during this time, I could still do emails and internet by my old loxinfo - so I was surviving like before TOT's ADSL. Then last week, I couldn't send emails but could receive emails and internet was OK. Then I couldn't use loxinfo. And finally, now the house phone doesn't work either. All this within one week !!!! Called TOT several times and they give different answers each time - they sent another techie on Thursday 12.01.06 and he was here only about 10 minutes and pronounced the TOT line was at fault - and went away to "fix" it he said. As Tsar Nicholas is once attributed to have said (by Groucho ?), "That was the last that was heard of the Romanov diamonds". So we are now waiting - again. Do we have any choices ? Without paying a lot more for wireless/satellite etc ? Of course, did I mention ? This is a "trial" period (for 2 months) and we're not paying anything yet. So how can we complain ? Well, if TOT can't do any better than this, will we want to continue with them or .......... after the second free month ?

So, all you guys who claim to be suffering with True in BKK, just see how lucky you're not in the Thai chanabote (country). MalcolmL

That sucks! I would go crazy after that.

Mine never got fixed untill I had the Thai owner call and tell them to cancel. She and her family built and rent several houses in this area and own the hotel at the end of the street.

I wonder if her status got me extra attention.

good luck

Chok-dee

Wincen,

I got TOT ADSL here in CM about two weeks ago. The line was dropping for the first couple of days but it's working great now.

Are you using any torrent software? If so, are you getting any NAT errors? I'm getting good DL speeds with Asureus (up to 100kB/s) but no green faces. I've got the ADSL modem w/o wireless.