Air Show Rehearsal Delays 40 Flights

sierra01

http://www.bangkokpost.net/Business/14Jan2006_biz03.php

Went past on my bike yesterday, I couldn't believe how low the F16's were flying. Ok they have to practice, but why do it over a very heavily populated area, surely they have areas sparely populated that they can use for such manoeuvres? I think it shows incredible stupidity, not to mention causing flight scheduling chaos at the airport during peak season.

Air show rehearsal delays 40 flights

BANGKOK: -- About 40 international and domestic flights due for takeoff and landing at Bangkok International Airport were delayed by air force aircraft including F16 fighters rehearsing for an air show as part of Children's Day today. Commercial flights were delayed from 10am until late afternoon as the airspace and runways were partly closed for practice ahead of the air show, stranding hundreds of passengers at the airport, said aviation officials.

The rehearsal worsened the congestion at Don Muang which has already caused flights, especially at peak hours, to miss their schedules. The situation improved in the evening after the drill finished.

Yesterday's problems were so critical that the organising committee decided to cancel the air show today. However, the air force's aircraft will continue to be on show on the tarmac and other ground celebration activities remain unchanged.

--Bangkok Post 2006-01-14

Not only stupidity, but incompidence. The airlines that were delyed durring yesterdays fiasco should refuse to pay the landing fee. Who in trheir right mind would close an international airport for an air show practice. Should have held the practice at the new airport with their cracked runways.

Barry

Not only stupidity, but incompidence. The airlines that were delyed durring yesterdays fiasco should refuse to pay the landing fee. Who in trheir right mind would close an international airport for an air show practice. Should have held the practice at the new airport with their cracked runways.

Barry

Agree. I believe that the air force and the related government agencies are responsible for the Children day air show. The use of common sense and safety issues not to mentioned inconveneince to other parties are secondary to what ever event they organize. Very sad. :o

Agree. I believe that the air force and the related government agencies are responsible for the Children day air show. The use of common sense and safety issues not to mentioned inconveneince to other parties are secondary to what ever event they organize. Very sad. :o

I have to laugh at this because most, if not all, third world countries pull similar stunts. I'll tell you one better. When I worked in Iran in the 70's the Shah of Iran would ground all flights in Iran whenever he was in the air. That's right, only one blip on the radar screen nationwide. If two showed up, the second one was shot down.

Barry

Common Sense! Don't make me laugh!

They don't have an once of common sense. They will never change.

Peak season, Don Muang is already a chaos every day... but mai pen rai, let's organize a show to make a lot of noise with some toys that fly, with green military colors, ouah... it's beautifull, you know it's for "children day"...

I go throught Don Muang 2 times per month... With the peak tourist season, the whole airport turn into a mess. Immigration... in both way is completly insane (last monday night can not even enter the hall for immigration exit, queues were too long....).

Don Muang is a disgrace.

I hope with the new airport that will be history.

Edited by cclub75

I got delayed over 2 hours last night from CM to Bkk 'cos of this.

My friend just contacted - he missed his flight to Japan 'cos of this, and had to wait an extra 2 hours

on top of the delay from Chiang Mai

I got delayed at CM this moning but I was lucky.My delay was only an hour . Some were delayed 3 hours!!

CM Airport was closed for 2 hours this morning while they had a flying exhibition, but of course nobody ever tells you this

:o:D

The problem is that most of the people in charge here are no more mature than small children.

Never grew up.

Priviledged little boys, raised by Nannys who were too timid to show them any discipline.

Never brought up to speed on morals, integrity, common sense.

Spoiled brats that grew up to be politicians and bigshots.

Air show rehearsal delays 40 flights

BANGKOK: -- About 40 international and domestic flights due for takeoff and landing at Bangkok International Airport were delayed by air force aircraft including F16 fighters rehearsing for an air show as part of Children's Day today. --Bangkok Post 2006-01-14

My wife & son arrived home several hours late due to this fiasco, the words 'P155up' & 'brewery' spring to mind:(

...and the balls up continued today, with nearly all domestic flights delayed, some up to three hours. The 12.15 to Chiangmai finally cleared the tarmac around 14.00. The excuse the captain gave was "aircraft rotational problems" this morning! :o