Farang Thai Boxers

Uma~~

Really? You think he is being reasonable?

Was merely stating that a mod that says 'bye bye' (indicating something in terms of booting the user) some 2-3 posts into an argument, insted of countering the arguments posted, isn't the best advertisement this site needs.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am all for the guys jumping in the ring as at least it is controlled/safer and the guy isnโ€™t out trying to start a fight with someone in a bar. Who may just do some real serious damage to him or at worse kill him. I guess if they have the balls to get in there to start with well I guess they arenโ€™t really poseurs are they. One of the local guys in the village wants to teach me Thai boxing but I really canโ€™t be bothered with all the extra exercise I would have to do as it would interfere with my other hobbies

actually TAWP I made one post asking him not to be so nasty & not 2-3 posts as you say so pls get your facts right. :o He chose to counter it with more insults & to be racially offensive. Suspended :D

actually TAWP I made one post asking him not to be so nasty & not 2-3 posts as you say so pls get your facts right. :o He chose to counter it with more insults & to be racially offensive. Suspended :D

I meant 2-3 posts _between_ you. Not that you alone sent him 2-3 messages.

Checkout the slight weight difference in the 1st fight from this clip.

Click on the link ( Who's the better fighter ) and then the 2nd link in green.

It's funny viewing but falls way short of proving the intended point.

Thai vs Farang Muay Thai Bout from the Sky Top bars complex in Pattaya

http://www.alphapro.com/looking/index.html

And no , the fat skinhead is not me............ :D:o

Edited by chonabot

yeah he is a big lad but agile for his size,

i see where your coming from on the pure boxer as opposed to the muay thai, i did some boxing with a friend of mine and he was good, the power generated in the punch from a boxer is timing with power generated from the body through the shoulder so when you connect you have punch + body weighy behind it. the thai seem to punch mainly just with arm power and not so much timing, having said that they put the power and timing into the kicks especially th thigh kicks ow!.

as for the op saying about untrained fighters taking on thais, why not i.ve seen some good fights and one thing to bear in mind, a martial arts teacher told me treat every body as a black belt, his reason behind this was if a man has been brought up fighting from a young age that in itself gives him preparation and awareness and training, never underestimate any one.

:D like bar fighters are conclusive proof that boxing is better, maybe they should try again with some ranked Lumpini or Ratchadamnern stadium fighters

Looks like Butterfly to me! :D

A lot of the boxing bouts in touristy places are a joke. A good Lumpini or Ratchadamnoen bout is where you see some genuine fighting. The old style of Muay Thai which uses no gloves is still seen in the provinces.

What was said regarding Thai boxers' punching is true; many of them lack the skills/power of their Western Boxing counterparts although this is starting to change. Most of the KO's come by way of elbow, knee or kick and punches are not awarded as many points as the others are.

In the same way that a recent thread appeared to be about Clenliness but was in fact about tidyness, I would have done better to put 'Farang Poseurs In The Ring' as the title to this thread.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. :o

Uma talked about the topless harley/honda riders who pose around the place thinking they look cool ....Now this would have to be in Patters right???

These guys go to a bar and get a skinful then decide to give it a go after bragging to their mates.... The fights in the bar boxing rings are usually fixed anyway....Both fighters get the same fee and they share any tips they can get from the punters. Sometimes a farang will get up and have a go..these fights usually becaome boxing matches as kicks arent allowed unless the farang wants to use them....Usually the Thai guy takes a dive at an appropiate time so the farang wins and can enjoy his time in the ring....Only once did I see it escalate and that was when the Thai guy lost his cool cos the farang broke the pre arranged rules...the other Thais quickly stopped this "bout"

A professional Farang Thai boxer wouldnt get into these bouts as they wouldnt want to risk injury and are probably under contract....

I have loved Thailand since my first visit and I have found most people, both farangs and Thai's to be very pleasant.

I'm not the type to turn my nose up at western men in Thailand who frequent the barscene and I try to treat everyone the same, but what I don't understand, especially when visiting the islands, is why do some farang men, usually the topless posers on fake Harley Davidsons or Honda Phantoms who tend to assume that any women will sleep with them because they are good looking, why do they, after womanising and posing and treating Thailand as if it is rightly theirs in which to party, why do they then, to top it all off, feel the need to learn Muai Thai boxing and get into the ring with a man from this country and beat him up?

Is it a macho, testosterone fulled territorial thing?

Why would the type of guy who think's he's it, and we have all seen them, want to partake in a violent sport in which the opponent is indigenous to the land in which he is abusing?

I am not tarring all with the same brush and can only speak from my own experiences but I for one am rooting for Thailand and hope that the farang gets a damned good hiding.

Who's side are you on?

Yeah, those kind of guys are everywhere, aren't they? Oh wait, hang on, I've never met anyone like that in all the times I've holidayed and lived here! Muay Thai is an extremely technical and measured sport which has almost nothing to do with testosterone and aggression. Having fought in Europe and trained here myself I can let you know that the more aggressive and testosterone fueled fighters are usually at a disadvantage. The cool-headed, patient and measured fighters almost always have the upper hand. Most, obviously not all, people who come here to train or fight are a lot more interested in Thai culture than some Farang lady tourists who're tramping around Buddhist temples in their beach gear without a modicum of respect for the culture here. If it's any consolation to you, foreign fighters do usually get beaten when fighting here so you can continue to wallow in your bitterness unabaited.

I have loved Thailand since my first visit and I have found most people, both farangs and Thai's to be very pleasant.

I'm not the type to turn my nose up at western men in Thailand who frequent the barscene and I try to treat everyone the same, but what I don't understand, especially when visiting the islands, is why do some farang men, usually the topless posers on fake Harley Davidsons or Honda Phantoms who tend to assume that any women will sleep with them because they are good looking, why do they, after womanising and posing and treating Thailand as if it is rightly theirs in which to party, why do they then, to top it all off, feel the need to learn Muai Thai boxing and get into the ring with a man from this country and beat him up?

Is it a macho, testosterone fulled territorial thing?

Why would the type of guy who think's he's it, and we have all seen them, want to partake in a violent sport in which the opponent is indigenous to the land in which he is abusing?

I am not tarring all with the same brush and can only speak from my own experiences but I for one am rooting for Thailand and hope that the farang gets a damned good hiding.

Who's side are you on?

Yeah, those kind of guys are everywhere, aren't they? Oh wait, hang on, I've never met anyone like that in all the times I've holidayed and lived here! Muay Thai is an extremely technical and measured sport which has almost nothing to do with testosterone and aggression. Having fought in Europe and trained here myself I can let you know that the more aggressive and testosterone fueled fighters are usually at a disadvantage. The cool-headed, patient and measured fighters almost always have the upper hand. Most, obviously not all, people who come here to train or fight are a lot more interested in Thai culture than some Farang lady tourists who're tramping around Buddhist temples in their beach gear without a modicum of respect for the culture here. If it's any consolation to you, foreign fighters do usually get beaten when fighting here so you can continue to wallow in your bitterness unabaited.

I have to say I agree with this post 100%, I've never seen the types you're talking about. Maybe i'm going to the wrong places?

it is no different than drunk Aussies going into a boxing tent. Women are women and men are men and we will allways be different. And I guess all the guys whining about young guys with out T shirts I guess when you were young you never acted like a retard. If she doesn,t like watching these type of things why does she bother going to these places. IMOI it is just another thread for a women to complain about westen men

One of the most successful Farang thai-boxers in Thailand was female, Niamh Griffin or Niamh Sor. Vorapin from Ireland who was World Womens Muay Thai Champion in 2003. It's a shame that there is still so much ignorance about the sport by people who consider it "macho" and only "beating people up".

One of the most successful Farang thai-boxers in Thailand was female, Niamh Griffin or Niamh Sor. Vorapin from Ireland who was World Womens Muay Thai Champion in 2003. It's a shame that there is still so much ignorance about the sport by people who consider it "macho" and only "beating people up".

Niamh was an extremely dedicated fighter, like many of the foriegners who come here to train and fight male or female, but there is an element as the op posted originally that think they can get up in the ring in a bar and bash the smaller Thai opponent. They usually quickly learn the hard way that it is a lonely place in the ring when you have someone who knows what they are doing in front of them. I have seen many dedicated boxers from abroad come here and commit to training and put themselves on the line in the ring in a fair fight and they deserve nothing but respect, but ive also seen the kind that the op wrote about in the first post that think they are gods gift and they usually get a short sharp shock and deservedly so

Many of the falang seem to think their size is what matters.

They forget that

1) The Thai has no fear

2) The Thai is motivated - he is in his country in front of other Thais and there is face at stake

3) Its an opportunity to stick it to a falang, legally.

4) Fighting is what the Thai fighter does, its not his "hobby" after work.

Edited by johnnyk

The Thai has no fear

I wouldn't say that; many Thai boxers have their worries about certain opponents whether they are Thai or farang. A Muay Thai champion who recently fought in K-1 (Japan) said in an interview, "when I saw who my opponent was I thought I was already dead." Size does matter in a fight although it's possible for a smaller, more experienced fighter to defeat a larger opponent. One thing I like about Thai fighters is that they give due respect to all opponents since they know that any one of them can be dangerous. Many farang who come to fight in the Muay Thai rings have a good background in Western Boxing which the Thai fighters have to watch out for.

There isn't much trash talk in the boxing world over here as opposed to the West; the Thai fighters tend to let their skills speak for themselves.

The Thais have plenty to fear. If they lose in Thailand it doesn't look good at all. I think a lot of the Farang/ Thai fights are mismatched to make sure the Thai fighters look good. Obviously they're way better at the sport than foreigners overall but they don't always appear confident about when they make their matches. Ramon Dekker talked about being deliberately driven around all over Bangkok before one of his fights to sap his energy. The Thais were very scared he would win here.

The Thais have plenty to fear. If they lose in Thailand it doesn't look good at all. I think a lot of the Farang/ Thai fights are mismatched to make sure the Thai fighters look good. Obviously they're way better at the sport than foreigners overall but they don't always appear confident about when they make their matches. Ramon Dekker talked about being deliberately driven around all over Bangkok before one of his fights to sap his energy. The Thais were very scared he would win here.

I don't mean fear of losing face or fear of losing money.

I mean fear of pain.

I wasn't talking about championship or pro level, but about the situation where a self-styled falang "tough guy" decides to get in the ring in Thailand.

Edited by johnnyk

Maybe they're not afraid of pain. Who knows. I just haven't come across these "tough guys" you're talking about. It's definitely a big challenge deciding to fight in Thailand and a real test of character. What do you mean by pro? Pro rules? Fighting for money? All of the Farang fights I've ever heardof here were for money with pro rules.

It's very easy nowadays for a farang to have a match against a Thai opponent unless he/she is really big. There are plenty of boxing gyms that will arrange for bouts all over the country. Since most Thai boxers have many fights under their belts, there's a good chance that the farang with little experience will have some trouble. Fighting under Thai rules here is a big challenge and Thai boxers have lots of respect for farangs who decide to try it out. The attitude of the average fighter here is so much better than back in the West. Most Thai boxers are very down to earth and humble in their mannerisms.

The money one can earn fighting here is very, very low by Western standards unless you get into the really big matches like Jean Charles Skarbowsky (France) or John Wayne Parr (Australia). The majority of foreigners who do fight Thai opponents do so mainly for experience which they then use in bouts back in their home countries.

Agreed. I think most people who do boxing are actually humble and respectful as opposed to testosterone fuelled hard men. Boxers who come to Thailand either to train or to fight are in a minority of visitors who really get involved in Thai culture in a meaningful way. It promotes the positive aspects of Thai culture when they return home too. People who make a living out of it like J.W. Parr do wonders for the Thai tourist industry attracting a type of tourist with a better appreciation of Thai culture.

I don't think I have ever seen a falang and Thai in the boxing ring together. I prefer to see boxing on TV because I don't like the music, EYE OF THE TIGER is the only boxing theme tune for me, not this garbage they play over here.

I have seen soccer games between Liverpool U.K. and Thailand and I feel I should support the Thai team as I love the country and they are away from home.

Many years ago there was a farang that was kicking all the local Thaiboxer's butts using mostly his hands.

Someone brought in a (champion) ringer from Bangkok, but the farang still won the first round by over-whelming the Thai with his fists.

Finally, the Thai got ONE kick in, broke his leg, and he never fought again. :o

Many years ago there was a farang that was kicking all the local Thaiboxer's butts using mostly his hands.

Someone brought in a (champion) ringer from Bangkok, but the farang still won the first round by over-whelming the Thai with his fists.

Finally, the Thai got ONE kick in, broke his leg, and he never fought again. :o

Butterfly?