Macbook

redsox44

Can anyone shed some light on the following:

1. Have a MacBook, purchased June 2007. With new OS soon coming out does anyone know a web site that can tell one if their computer is included in, able to accept the new OS? All I can find are sites that say mid-2007's can be upgraded. How can one tell if their 2007 is mid-2007?

2. New OS requires 2MB ram. If I actually have an upgradeable laptop where can one go to upgrade the amount of memory? Istore repair outlets say the type of memory is no longer available thru them. Almost like they want one to buy a new computer.

Ant assistance will be greatly appreciated.

great hint .. "try the apple website"

good to have peoples around here know exactly what to do ;)

anyway (just in case)

if you have 10.7 installed (Lion) simply click to the apple on top-left at the screen select "About this mac"

then click "more info ..." there you will see the production series of the device.

if you have 1.6 or oder .. do the same but you have to open then the system diag "system report" select hardware .. there you will find the serial number of the Mac

copy that. (yes i know you can see it on other places too but you can easy copy the number there)

go then to: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do and paste the serial into the text box.

the apple support will then immediately tell you the production details of the device.

about the memory, i would go to unlimitmac (www.unlimitmac.com) at Ratchada 36 .. they are very smart about mac and about servicing them.

i think i have a few GB modules flying around here from my last upgrades ....

if you got the production date, let me know .. maybe i can help you out on that too.

cheers

• Like 1

keep in mind that older memory modules are harder to find and much more expensive than newer ones. memory starts out expensive, then goes mainstream and gets cheap, then is phased out and not made anymore and at that point the price remains the same or even goes back up a little. For 1GB 2007 memory you'll have to pay whatever 1GB cost in 2007/2008, not what it costs in 2012.

. For 1GB 2007 memory you'll have to pay whatever 1GB cost in 2007/2008, not what it costs in 2012.

Not really. OWC is your friend US$31.00 for 2GB 2006/2007 memory.

You only need DDR2 SODIMM - could probably pick them up in Pantip Plaza easily.

Was about 4x that in 2006

http://eshop.macsale...y/MacBook/DDR2/

Edited by negreanu

. For 1GB 2007 memory you'll have to pay whatever 1GB cost in 2007/2008, not what it costs in 2012.

Not really. OWC is your friend US$31.00 for 2GB 2006/2007 memory.

You only need DDR2 SODIMM - could probably pick them up in Pantip Plaza easily.

Was about 4x that in 2006

http://eshop.macsale...y/MacBook/DDR2/

Good luck with that, when I tried to find old memory modules in the local shops, it was unsuccessful. Just my experience.

you can boot up in command line mode (console) .. change the nvram to the setting a Late 2007 model has .. and you will be able to install with no issues at all.

after the next reboot the nvram will reset to the original value .. with 10.8 installed already (only the installer does test this)

i have 10.5.8 installed on a imac G3 and G4 working like a charm .. (even faster then tiger) where officially is no way of doing this ...

a few keystrokes and you good to go.