Farang Buddhists

payak

I've never really cared for religion(I'm an atheist). I really don't know why humanity needs it. Cultural decoration perhaps?

A true religion explains existence - your place it in and the full nature and extent of existence. It's really hard to explain why people need religion or, more to the point, a spiritual practice, because it sounds very judgmental. Most people don't like being judged even if it may be true. Spend a few days or weeks with a true master and you will then see why religion and spiritual practice are necessary.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone can do or believe like they want as long as the don't try to disturb my life.

But actually all religions try to do. Muslims more, Christs medium and Buddhists less.

But still the Buddhists force people to not buy Alcohol on some days, can't recall that Buddha ever told to force people to their luck.

But always some people want be holier than God...

Holier than God would be difficult for Buddhists whistling.gif

Everyone can do or believe like they want as long as the don't try to disturb my life.

But actually all religions try to do. Muslims more, Christs medium and Buddhists less.

But still the Buddhists force people to not buy Alcohol on some days, can't recall that Buddha ever told to force people to their luck.

I would certainly consider myself better than the god of the bible....since he is angry, jealous, enjoys punishing some for the mistakes of others...etc....etc.

Those who get annoyed when forced to do without their daily intake of alcohol have obviously never heard of the fifth precept....or consider it meaningless.

Anyway, it is the Government who impose these restrictions, not the Buddhists.......and don't say the Government are Buddhist because they are Thai.....anyone not bothering to keep the five precepts are only barely human and do not deserve to be called people...let alone Buddhist.

• Like 2

I would certainly consider myself better than the god of the bible....since he is angry, jealous, enjoys punishing some for the mistakes of others...etc....etc.

Those who get annoyed when forced to do without their daily intake of alcohol have obviously never heard of the fifth precept....or consider it meaningless.

Anyway, it is the Government who impose these restrictions, not the Buddhists.......and don't say the Government are Buddhist because they are Thai.....anyone not bothering to keep the five precepts are only barely human and do not deserve to be called people...let alone Buddhist.

i know many good and decent people who like to drink alcohol

Personally I almost do not drink alcohol, certainly not every days nor regularly so I am not concerned at all by those restrictions!coffee1.gif

"and don't say the Government are Buddhist because they are Thai"

I regularly think this government is not Buddhist enough annoyed.gif

Buddhist long before coming for the first time in Thailand I do my best to be faithful the following words wai.gif

He is not versed in the Dharma Merely because he speaks much.

He who hears little of the teaching but mentally sees the Truth,

And who is not heedless of the Truth -

He is indeed versed in the Dharma.

"Holier than God would be difficult for Buddhists" said I for the simple reason there is NO god in Buddhism. biggrin.png

Drinking it in moderation is one thing....getting annoyed when denied it is another...

To be honest, I get annoyed when I am denied anything for petty and bureaucratic reasons. for example, I used to get fed up when people insisted on standing dumbly at a red pedestrian crossing signal when there were no cars in sight in either direction.

I prefer to choose when I drink, rather than some arbitrary calendar.

I accept that for the benefit of my neighbours, pubs may be required to be closed at certain times of day or night, but I don't really see how my neighbours benefit from me not drinking when they are down at the temple burning incense. It seems to me that is just a case of religious people bullying the rest of us.

It's not a problem for me, generally, but for tourists, I would imagine it is particularly frustrating, and it was particularly irritating for some former colleagues who had arranged an international get-together with old drinking buddies to fit around their work schedules, without consulting the appropriate religious calendar...

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Drinking it in moderation is one thing....getting annoyed when denied it is another...

To be honest, I get annoyed when I am denied anything for petty and bureaucratic reasons. for example, I used to get fed up when people insisted on standing dumbly at a red pedestrian crossing signal when there were no cars in sight in either direction.

I accept that for the benefit of my neighbours, pubs may be required to be closed at certain times of day or night, but I don't really see how my neighbours benefit from me not drinking when they are down at the temple burning incense. It seems to me that is just a case of religious people bullying the rest of us.

It's not a problem for me, generally, but for tourists, I would imagine it is particularly frustrating, and it was particularly irritating for some former colleagues who had arranged an international get-together with old drinking buddies to fit around their work schedules, without consulting the appropriate religious calendar...

SC

When in foreign lands hasn't it always been respect for anothers culture, rather than imposing ones own?

Planning ahead when travelling internationally is a must for anyone who has an attachment of any kind.

Without it, amagine a trip to Saudi Arabia with drinking friends.

With forward planning, nothing stops anyone from making advance take home purchases.

Don't the ten or so Buddhist holy days pale into insignificance if compared, in terms of invasion of ones liberties, with the U.S.A. (the land of the free) during prohibition?

Edited by rockyysdt

SC

When in foreign lands hasn't it always been respect for anothers culture, rather than imposing ones own?

Planning ahead when travelling internationally is a must for anyone who has an attachment of any kind.

Without it, amagine a trip to Saudi Arabia with drinking friends.

With forward planning, nothing stops anyone from making advance take home purchases.

Don't the ten or so Buddhist holy days pale into insignificance if compared, in terms of invasion of ones liberties, with the U.S.A. (the land of the free) during prohibition?

My point was simply that one did not need to be a raging alcoholic to find the occasional days of prohibition for religious holidays or elections inconvenient and annoying.

I remember many years ago setting off with a visiting friend for a pint at the Strangeways Brewery Tap in the afternoon (open 11 till 11) to discover, frustratingly, that the words "except weekends" should have been implicitly understood.

I don't see the relevance of prohibition; my view is that the law should be the same every day, not dependent on the local calendar, nor the sighting of the moon.

SC

Thanks for the reaction X.

May be I should answer the question if I am a Buddhist in the Jain dialectical way (quote from Wikipedia where you can replace “it is” by “I am”):

1. syād-asti – "in some ways it is"

2. syād-nāsti - "in some ways it is not"

3. syād-asti-nāsti - "in some ways it is and it is not"

4. syād-asti-avaktavyaḥ - "in some ways it is and it is indescribable"

5. syād-nāsti-avaktavyaḥ - "in some ways it is not and it is indescribable"

6. syād-asti-nāsti-avaktavyaḥ - "in some ways it is, it is not and it is indescribable"

7. syād-avaktavyaḥ - "in some ways it is indescribable"

But I doubt if this would make anybody any wiser (it might confuse so much that they call for an ambulance for me).

I agree that all religions point at the same truth, but I think this point is indescribable, beyond words. As soon as people begin to talk the trouble starts. Also we can not overlook the actual practices of the different religions.

The Buddha wanted to get rid of all “I amness”. So if you say “I am a Buddhist” you go already against his intentions. Every identification can be a bondage, an attachment. The mind is not free, not empty, and this can i.m.o. be a hindrance to come to a state of no-self, no-mind. (With this I don't want to say that organised religion or wise masters cannot be a great help for many people, including myself, to develop yourself).

The reason I come with the dialectics is because I am beginning to see more and more striking similarities between the Buddhist way of reasoning and principles (eg no inherent self, everything is interdependent and in a constant change) and the dialectics.

So if you say “I am a Buddhist” you go already against his intentions.

A bit far fetch but not completely wrong, crying.gif so I'll take an aspirin first, then will not tell any more "I'm a Buddhist" ( not that I said that often) rather "I do my best following Buddha's teaching rolleyes.gif

I'm a secular humanist-atheist-Zen Buddhist and I was a Zen monk for more then 10 years. This is my reality and I can live with it no matter if someone else's reality has difficulty accepting it because I do not need their acceptance nor do I feel the need to be part of their reality, in fact they can keep their reality if it means believing in superstition and magic. I have a hard time believing that scientific Western minds have religions with invisible friends that smite people now that is ridiculous! I do not judge others, I do not debate others, I do not bother others nor do I tell others (usually) what they think is ludicrous, laughable and absurd, I refrain because I am a Secular Humanist and a Zen Buddhist and I have metta for them and hope they too can escape ignorance and find some sort of liberation in this life without having to fear reality as it truly is.

I do not care if other Western people or Eastern people for that matter do not accept that I am Buddhist, my Eastern and Western family does accept it, my friends and colleagues accept it and the majority of Thai, Japanese and Chinese people do, in fact no one ever told me they did not accept it other than one of the Christian Thai people in my village that I laughed at and told I gave my place up in heaven for her... she hasn't spoken to me since then which pleases me immensely. I have lived in Asia for a total of 28 years now and I could really give a hoot what someone in an expat community thinks about me if they do not like it they have the choice not to associate with me as I have chosen not to associate with them. This is my reality and I am comfortable and happy with it and that is all that matters to me.

• Like 2

I'm a secular humanist-atheist-Zen Buddhist and I was a Zen monk for more then 10 years. This is my reality and I can live with it no matter if someone else's reality has difficulty accepting it because I do not need their acceptance nor do I feel the need to be part of their reality, in fact they can keep their reality if it means believing in superstition and magic. I have a hard time believing that scientific Western minds have religions with invisible friends that smite people now that is ridiculous! I do not judge others, I do not debate others, I do not bother others nor do I tell others (usually) what they think is ludicrous, laughable and absurd, I refrain because I am a Secular Humanist and a Zen Buddhist and I have metta for them and hope they too can escape ignorance and find some sort of liberation in this life without having to fear reality as it truly is.

I do not care if other Western people or Eastern people for that matter do not accept that I am Buddhist, my Eastern and Western family does accept it, my friends and colleagues accept it and the majority of Thai, Japanese and Chinese people do, in fact no one ever told me they did not accept it other than one of the Christian Thai people in my village that I laughed at and told I gave my place up in heaven for her... she hasn't spoken to me since then which pleases me immensely. I have lived in Asia for a total of 28 years now and I could really give a hoot what someone in an expat community thinks about me if they do not like it they have the choice not to associate with me as I have chosen not to associate with them. This is my reality and I am comfortable and happy with it and that is all that matters to me.

I'm surprised you take such delight in denigrating the beliefs of others, but I suppose we claim progress rather than perfection...

SC

• Like 2

I'm surprised you take such delight in denigrating the beliefs of others, but I suppose we claim progress rather than perfection...

SC

I'm not sure how you read that into my post but I was just being honest about how I felt which was the I got from the OP but my apologies if you feel in any way offended if that will make you feel better about my reality.

SC

I'm not sure how you read that into my post but I was just being honest about how I felt which was the I got from the OP but my apologies if you feel in any way offended if that will make you feel better about my reality.

I suggest you re-read your post carefully, now you know what others take from it, and consider whether your words accurately reflect your opinions. I think they probably do, and I think that you will be surprised when you see what your opinions are. Of course, you may struggle to understand what you have written, and may instead read what you think you wrote

"Oh would some power the gift to gie us, to see ourselves as others see us..." (Burns)

SC

• Like 1

Don't worry lu.

I've found others can see color in us, which we are often blind to.

As SC said, we are not perfect, but we are travelors.

One topic of focus for your contemplation could be:

to observe your view of yourself "I'm a secular humanist-atheist-Zen Buddhist" and

your feelings "which pleases me immensely", "I do not care", "I do not need", "I do not bother", "I could really give a hoot", "I laughed at", "that is all that matters to me", "

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1

Interesting I understand exactly what Linuxuser is saying and I fail to see how anyone does not. He/she is explaining it to people as if they were laity in a very Zen way and saying no need to worry abut what others think as long as you are happy in your own practice.

You did not focus on the most important line in what was said "I refrain because I am a Secular Humanist and a Zen Buddhist and I have metta for them and hope they too can escape ignorance and find some sort of liberation in this life without having to fear reality as it truly is".

Looks like a very good lesson to me thank you.

Personally, I thought he was spouting off regarding his contempt for other peoples' beliefs, and ridiculing those that believe in a Higher Power. Personally, when other people believe in something I don't, I accept their beliefs, and try to take account of them in my dealings with them, rather than ridiculing them or trying to hurt their feelings. I suppose that's what comes of living in a religiously tolerant society.

SC

• Like 1

I don't understand why you, somebody who's searching for enlightenment, would intentionally antagonize another person over their spiritual beliefs. In fact I don't understand a lot of the antagonism towards people of faith (usually Christians). I'm not religious but I grew up in a Baptist community and although when I was younger I grew annoyed by what I perceived as hypocrisy and a holier-than-thou attitude with some, I had no idea how bitter and judgmental people could be until I moved to California and lived with people more into crystals and energy portals. When I visit my Christian friends and family, they don't bother me at all. I know they all think I'm going to hell (that should be expected), but they don't bug me.

But more interesting to me is that you would proclaim here that you don't care what expats think and you've chosen not to associate with them... and this is a forum for expats. Why would you go to the bother of even coming here and engaging in a discussion and making the effort to type that into your computer?

Edited by beb
  • Like 1

The term 'farang' Buddhist seems a bit odd to me. Either you are a Buddhist or not. Thais don't own it, Thailand didn't even exist until long after the Buddha's time. I suppose its simmilar to 'Roman' Catholics thinking Italy is the home if a Middle Eastern religion. Buddhas message was to bring liberation from suffering to all sentient beings. Not just Thais, or Asians, or males. Every single thinking being. The Thai people have largely managed to convince themselves that it is 'their' religion and that farangs somehow cannot 'get it'. It seems a bit sad to me that they try to limit Dhamma in such a way when the message is universal and not national. If it was only relative to a people then they would be Indians who are genetically closer to caucasians than asians. Its not about our genes or our passports. I am not a 'farang' Buddhist. I am a Buddhist. Period.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What i like more of Buddhism, it isn't easily exploited by fanatics. I have yet to meet a Buddhist fanatic. Fanatism isn't good, it makes blood pression go higher, and it's a nuisance for the normal people wai.gif

You've obviously missed the footage of Korean monks belabouring each other with iron bars etc. Once they get going it makes the Anzio beachhead look like a cruising holiday.

What i like more of Buddhism, it isn't easily exploited by fanatics. I have yet to meet a Buddhist fanatic. Fanatism isn't good, it makes blood pression go higher, and it's a nuisance for the normal people wai.gif

You've obviously missed the footage of Korean monks belabouring each other with iron bars etc. Once they get going it makes the Anzio beachhead look like a cruising holiday.

Yes, it's not all good. Japanese Zen has a sorry history of supporting fanaticism and slaughter in World War Two. They distorted the doctrine of non-self to justify this. After all, they said, if a person is comprised only of processes, none of which has an abiding essence, then you can't really be killing anyone, can you? The sword slides through the illusion of substance. Nothing actually dies.

Soto Zen has subsequently apologized for their role in the War. Rinzai, to my knowledge, has still not done so. (The Japanese don't do apology as a rule.)

I don't understand why you, somebody who's searching for enlightenment, would intentionally antagonize another person over their spiritual beliefs. In fact I don't understand a lot of the antagonism towards people of faith (usually Christians). I'm not religious but I grew up in a Baptist community and although when I was younger I grew annoyed by what I perceived as hypocrisy and a holier-than-thou attitude with some, I had no idea how bitter and judgmental people could be until I moved to California and lived with people more into crystals and energy portals. When I visit my Christian friends and family, they don't bother me at all. I know they all think I'm going to hell (that should be expected), but they don't bug me.

But more interesting to me is that you would proclaim here that you don't care what expats think and you've chosen not to associate with them... and this is a forum for expats. Why would you go to the bother of even coming here and engaging in a discussion and making the effort to type that into your computer?

Oh dear, Beb...you've missed the point of his linuxuser's post completely and then projected all over it. He hasn't denigrated anyone's spiritual beliefs. He's simply stating he's a Buddhist and it doesn't matter whether others take him seriously or not. Frankly, I'm in the same position...I was a Buddhist long before I came to Thailand. It doesn't matter if others aren't able to accept, respect, or believe it - I'm still a Buddhist.

Regarding why linuxuser posts here (and your antagonism towards it)...well, it doesn't make sense. Do you think only people who agree with you should post here? That's silly - it sounds like all the Thaksin haters on the polticial and news forums who think only brain-dead morons could disagree with them.

Oh dear, Beb...you've missed the point of his linuxuser's post completely and then projected all over it. He hasn't denigrated anyone's spiritual beliefs. He's simply stating he's a Buddhist and it doesn't matter whether others take him seriously or not. Frankly, I'm in the same position...I was a Buddhist long before I came to Thailand. It doesn't matter if others aren't able to accept, respect, or believe it - I'm still a Buddhist.

Regarding why linuxuser posts here (and your antagonism towards it)...well, it doesn't make sense. Do you think only people who agree with you should post here? That's silly - it sounds like all the Thaksin haters on the polticial and news forums who think only brain-dead morons could disagree with them.

Your response is odd because obviously you read the post completely differently than I. Perhaps it's because you are interpreting it from an enlightened state. Not to beat a dead horse because of course that would be cruel and all that so let me just address your second paragraph.

1. I don't feel any antagonism towards anybody here. The idea that somebody sitting at home in their boxer shorts could get me upset is a little odd.
  2. You are actually gently chiding me because I disagreed with somebody and then making the leap or assumption that because I disagreed that I don't want people to disagree with me? Do you recognize the circular logic here? I disagreed, you disagreed... You are guilty of my sins. Preach on sister!
  3. You're carrying your assumption about my inner thoughts to a conclusion that is now simply outside of anything I'm even thinking about. I'm not wrapped up in the Thaksin or political debates here. Boy do you have the wrong guy.
  4. I do appreciate your use of the term of affection "dear" towards me. I can only imagine you're the most amazing and beautiful woman of my dreams who I've disappointed terribly. The story of my life.

I try to avoid prejorative descriptins of my fellow posters, lest I betray my bigotries and prejudices. I would have used a less emotive term than "Thaksin haters" - maybe 'people' would have been a polite euphemism, and perhap more inclusive. I would try to avoid calling them 'brain-dead morons' for fear of attracting comparison with myself and having in some way to differentiate myself, or accept my own insults on my own head.

I really don;t feel competent to judge my fellow posters, but I do feel I have the right to comment on what they post.

SC

I'm currently stuck in a cycle, as Mae Chee Kaew puts it, living with the rigors of my personal life and household, cluttering my mind with endless petty concerns.

Alas, I must continue to work until I complete my obligation of support to those who depend on me.

In the mean time, as Mae Chee Kaew puts it, it had taught me the value of effort. So, she fixed her mind and worked on her meditation as if it were a rice field, stolidly

plowing it through, furrow upon furrow, buddho upon buddho.

She had always known how to work with persistence and perseverance. These were qualities she could count on. Once she put her worldly life firmly behind, narrowing her focus on bare simplicity.

While performing my role, ever repetitive, mundane, and never ending, I play with my focus and my awareness.

Often awareness wanes, but, as if by magic it momentarily returns, and with it a broadening of everything which I see.

At my workplace I regularly hear colleagues conducting personal attacks on each other, rubbishing the competency of management, and generally over reacting to their environment.

I also see these very characteristics in me.

These days, my awareness switches on and off.

When awareness switches on I stand l see a brilliant distinction akin to turning on a light in a dark room.

One of the things which awareness gives me is the poise and composure to refrain from reacting.

Eventually responding (or not) only after careful consideration and reflection.

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1