Farang Buddhists

payak

Just because things aren't said the way we would like them said or not in a manner we'd prefer, doesn't mean the speaker is wrong...maybe it's just the ego responding to being convicted on one of its own faults. I, for one, am not afraid to take a position or make a judgement - we must do this all the time in all aspects of our lives. Why would it be any different in our spiritual lives?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because things aren't said the way we would like them said or not in a manner we'd prefer, doesn't mean the speaker is wrong...maybe it's just the ego responding to being convicted on one of its own faults. I, for one, am not afraid to take a position or make a judgement - we must do this all the time in all aspects of our lives. Why would it be any different in our spiritual lives?

Hi J.

I agree with you.

It's important to take a position, particularly if another might be influencing others inappropriately.

However, what I've been learning through earlier posts and from dharma is that the way we respond is also important.

I believe the Buddha was quoted as saying:

'When talking about others, do not mention their faults, only their good points; but when talking about ourselves mention only our faults, and avoid talking about our good points..'

During times when I lack awareness my response/judgement may be directed to others and result in hurt.

When taking time to respond, I attempt to reframe my response with an example illustrating my own shortcomings.

This allows me to avoid direct criticism of anothers possible shorcoming, while ensuring my message and position is illustrated.

Edited by rockyysdt

Well as somebody who doesn't follow the philosophy but admires much of it and does try to incorporate some of its teachings, let me just say that I admire those of you who seem to truly try to follow those teachings with humility but others seem to have their ego totally wrapped up in their teachings and their comments here. And it shines right through in this forum.

Now I don't mean to attack anybody and I respect your efforts but there is an irony to that and it's as if a friend should really let you know.

• Like 1

... but others seem to have their ego totally wrapped up in their teachings and their comments here. And it shines right through in this forum.

Now I don't mean to attack anybody and I respect your efforts but there is an irony to that and it's as if a friend should really let you know.

You've not attacked anybody specifically, Beb, but you've made a blanket criticism. This doesn't help me much if you don't provide any examples of the ego-absorbed behaviour you see on the forum. If, "as a friend", you're letting some of us know something, can you give an example or two, so we know what it is?

Having one's "ego totally wrapped up in their teachings", etc. can be interpreted in different ways, can't it? A Buddhist fanatic? One who sees things from only one perspective. One who takes excessive pride in being Buddhist? One whose identity is exclusively bound up with one's religion? One who responds aggressively?

I would like to see some examples, or a clearer explanation of what you mean. After all, you're the one sitting in judgement.

... but others seem to have their ego totally wrapped up in their teachings and their comments here. And it shines right through in this forum.

You've not attacked anybody specifically, Beb, but you've made a blanket criticism. This doesn't help me much if you don't provide any examples of the ego-absorbed behaviour you see on the forum. If, "as a friend", you're letting some of us know something, can you give an example or two, so we know what it is?

Having one's "ego totally wrapped up in their teachings", etc. can be interpreted in different ways, can't it? A Buddhist fanatic? One who sees things from only one perspective. One who takes excessive pride in being Buddhist? One whose identity is exclusively bound up with one's religion? One who responds aggressively?

I would like to see some examples, or a clearer explanation of what you mean. After all, you're the one sitting in judgement.

I get your point but I don't want to cite specific examples because I don't want to point anybody out for criticism. That's not my purpose. My statement was not meant to be a blanket criticism as much as an observation on the differences in comments as I see them. I guess you could say it was a blanket-just-over-the-legs criticism.

I think that others probably recognize what I'm talking about, possibly even some of you that are buddhist.

I guess I would say that there is a similarity to some of my Christian friends and family who seem more focused on projecting their beliefs than living them.

Edited by beb

OK. Thanks. That's clear enough.

Food for thought.

Um, let me clarify just a little because I really do enjoy reading people's thoughts on this subject. I don't want to give the impression that I am offended or annoyed by people talking about these things. Far from it. It's all good stuff for me. What I'm talking about is a sense of judgement that bleeds through no matter how gently it is projected.

I get your point but I don't want to cite specific examples because I don't want to point anybody out for criticism. That's not my purpose. My statement was not meant to be a blanket criticism as much as an observation on the differences in comments as I see them. I guess you could say it was a blanket-just-over-the-legs criticism.

I think that others probably recognize what I'm talking about, possibly even some of you that are buddhist.

I guess I would say that there is a similarity to some of my Christian friends and family who seem more focused on projecting their beliefs than living them.

It really depends on your perspectice regarding all of this. A long time ago, a teacher explained the difference between Hinayana, Mahayana, and Vajrayana like this. The Hinayana treats the emotions as though they are weeds to be eradicate as each one arises. The Mahayana sees each emotion as a plant, also, each of which is used to produce medicine for healing sickness and disease, while in the Vajrayana, emotions are seen as poisons which are ravenously eaten by a peacock, digested, and transformed into beautiful tail feathers.

Edited by Jawnie

It really depends on your perspectice regarding all of this. A long time ago, a teacher explained the difference between Hinayana, Mahayana, and Vajrayana like this. The Hinayana treats the emotions as though they are weeds to be eradicate as each one arises. The Mahayana sees each emotion as a plant, also, each of which is used to produce medicine for healing sickness and disease, while in the Vajrayana, emotions are seen as poisons which are ravenously eaten by a peacock, digested, and transformed into beautiful tail feathers.

I tend to lose clarity when explanations are expressed in such ways. :)

Could you expound ?

Was the teacher Vajrayana?

Edited by hookedondhamma
  • Like 1

Was the teacher Vajrayana?

Yes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I personally think there is no such thing as Buddhist, nor 'farang Buddhist'.

Everything just is. (without a name)

There is only suffering and impermanence.

Many people learn to be equanimous without ever hearing the Buddha's teachings or knowing about meditation.

• Like 1

I will say I'm a Buddhist when asked, and I go through the motions, just like many Thais. I'm not really a Buddhist of course, but you can't be an atheist in Thailand and still fit in somewhere.

Jesus actually was pretty much a Buddhist in his actions.

No doubt Buddha would have been a good Christian as well smile.png

Everyone can do or believe like they want as long as the don't try to disturb my life.

But actually all religions try to do. Muslims more, Christs medium and Buddhists less.

But still the Buddhists force people to not buy Alcohol on some days, can't recall that Buddha ever told to force people to their luck.

But always some people want be holier than God...

they can hardly be blamed for disturbing your life if YOU have chosen to come to this forum and click on this thread.

Most people who call themselves "Buddhist"

are nominal Buddhists.

The Ajahn at our local temple says there are no such thing as good Buddhists - it's just that some are further along the path than others.

Wow! I hope your village realizes how lucky they are.