Farang Buddhists

payak

I will say I'm a Buddhist when asked, and I go through the motions, just like many Thais. I'm not really a Buddhist of course, but you can't be an atheist in Thailand and still fit in somewhere.

Jesus actually was pretty much a Buddhist in his actions.

I do the same. Especially in western countries where the inhabitants are still ate up with the dumb ass about some great heavenly space fairy.

The truth will come out sooner than later. I just hope I live to that time as I want to witness the holy-rollers lose their s#1t when they realize they have devoted their lives to a lie.

Is spitefulness and lack of respect for the views of others a fundamental part of atheism? Or is it just that you need something to believe in and look forward to?

SC

Exactly what I was going to say.

I suggest they read some works by some of the Stoics.

What a sad thought - an Atheist with out any virtue.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone can do or believe like they want as long as the don't try to disturb my life.

But actually all religions try to do. Muslims more, Christs medium and Buddhists less.

But still the Buddhists force people to not buy Alcohol on some days, can't recall that Buddha ever told to force people to their luck.

But always some people want be holier than God...

the government forces people not to buy alcahol on certain days,one nations government.

and this is bought about not by the Buddha, but by certain interpritations or misinterpritations.

The religion is not to blame.

The state religion of Thailand is Buddhism. Alcohol restrictions are imposed for Buddhist religious holidays. I have yet to see anyone in the Buddhist religious hierarchy state that such prohibitions are unnecessary. Rather, the religious hierarchy encourages the prohibitions.

I am not arguing whether or not this is a good thing, merely, pointing out that if an organized religion populated with self professed holy men and deep thinkers adopts a position then it is reflective of that religion's theology.

I will say I'm a Buddhist when asked, and I go through the motions, just like many Thais. I'm not really a Buddhist of course, but you can't be an atheist in Thailand and still fit in somewhere.

I do the same. Especially in western countries where the inhabitants are still ate up with the dumb ass about some great heavenly space fairy.

The truth will come out sooner than later. I just hope I live to that time as I want to witness the holy-rollers lose their s#1t when they realize they have devoted their lives to a lie.

That's a new one, 'great heavenly space fairy.'

Actually Thai Buddhism doesn't believe in God either. You can be an atheist in Thailand AND a Buddhist.

I think most people who are say they are Atheists are actually Agnostics.

I find it that many "so-called" Atheists are desperate to tell everyone that they and are full of self-righteous indignation.

I think many atheists are not agnostics; they'd be less condemnatory if they were. The reason that they are so condemnatory is that they are worried that they are wrong, and think that if they condemn others, and try to persuade the agnostics to join them, then (should they prove to be wrong) the wrath of God will be spread amongst a wider group, and they individually will receive less of it.

The God in which they do not believe is a punitive, retributive Old Tetament god, not a forgiving and loving New Testament God. Personally, I believe in religious freedom, and they are free to disbelieve in whatever God they choose, but I would kindly reqest them to be more tolerant of their fellows (who happen also to be my fellows) who believe in whatever God they believe in.

SC

I posted here to test a theory i suspected to be true, and now it's confirmed.

I never often discuss my religion with people, and I never push it onto people,more importantly i respect all religions and philosophies.

so many just posted attacks aimed at all religions, even went as far as saying why we wear amulates blah blah, so we have a thread with many mind readers, who know why we became buddhists, and why we wear certain things.

for the record, when its hot i wear shorts and a singlet to,smart thing to do in hot weather, i wear amulates to, not to show wealth or brag about religion, after all who cares what religion i am when i'm out an about, I wear it for the purpose its meant to be worn.

ask yourselves when you look at someone wearing something and shake your head in judgement, who really has a problem because when you point your finger, don't forget where the other 4 are pointing.

for thos that have no religion i respect that choice also.

Is spitefulness and lack of respect for the views of others a fundamental part of atheism? Or is it just that you need something to believe in and look forward to?

SC

"Religion is the Opium of the people"
  • Like 1

You are probably aware of the idea that Jesus based his teachings on Buddhism? There are those who claim that Jesus was practicing Buddhism but decided to start his own business...

Those who claim that the above is plausible usually point to the fact that not much is known about Jesus's life between something like 15-30 years of age. Some say he went to India.

Dan Brown would make a best seller out of this one.

I posted here to test a theory i suspected to be true, and now it's confirmed.

I never often discuss my religion with people, and I never push it onto people,more importantly i respect all religions and philosophies.

so many just posted attacks aimed at all religions, even went as far as saying why we wear amulates blah blah, so we have a thread with many mind readers, who know why we became buddhists, and why we wear certain things.

for the record, when its hot i wear shorts and a singlet to,smart thing to do in hot weather, i wear amulates to, not to show wealth or brag about religion, after all who cares what religion i am when i'm out an about, I wear it for the purpose its meant to be worn.

ask yourselves when you look at someone wearing something and shake your head in judgement, who really has a problem because when you point your finger, don't forget where the other 4 are pointing.

for thos that have no religion i respect that choice also.

I started wearing an amulet recently of a Thai monk - about two weeks ago. It was a present from my wife and was very expensive. I'm not sure why I wear it - maybe to please my wifeblink.png maybe superstition, maybe faith or maybe fear.

I must admit to being that newbie farang trying to fit in when I had lived her for 3-5 years and wore an amulet then , although not Buddhist one. Actually, it was Ganesh and a lot of Thais asked me why I wore a Thai Deityblink.png

There seems to be a bit of confusion/ignorance in this country about Buddhism.

I can relate as I grew up Protestant and know nothing much about it, Although I went to church regularly up until aged 12 when my elder brother bought this single which led me to refuse to go.

SC

"Religion is the Opium of the people"

More like the yaaba....if it was opium we would not have to worry...people woud be too sleepy to hassle us.

You are probably aware of the idea that Jesus based his teachings on Buddhism? There are those who claim that Jesus was practicing Buddhism but decided to start his own business...

Those who claim that the above is plausible usually point to the fact that not much is known about Jesus's life between something like 15-30 years of age. Some say he went to India.

Well its plausible. India is very popular with Israelis. wink.png On the other hand I don't think young Yehoshua (Yes, that's Jesus actual name, as he was an Israelite and Israelites had hebrew names) was going to be traveling about as he had to help his terrestial father Youssef. I think in a household with 5 rambunctious boys (yes, Yehoshua had 4 brothers, all with equally fun Hebrew names) more effort would have been given to putting food on the plate than having a holiday in Goa or wherever the ancient Israelis went to vacation and play that raquet ball game they are addicted to. Besides, I don't think that India had the ability to offer Kosher food to Israeli visitors. I don't think that a religious jew like young Yehoshua would have abandoned his belief in keeping kosher, particularly since he never once told anyone they were excused. based on the aforementioned, I don't think Buddha and Yehoshua ever had any exchange of theology over a danish and coffee.

Religion or beliefs are the thorn in the side of man/woman. Few more centuries and it will be sorted. smile.png

John Lennon's song "imagine" springs to mind.

Yep, and he had the ball's to write it, strangely the song is known by most folk on the planet and accepted. smile.png

Well its plausible. India is very popular with Israelis. wink.png On the other hand I don't think young Yehoshua (Yes, that's Jesus actual name, as he was an Israelite and Israelites had hebrew names) was going to be traveling about as he had to help his terrestial father Youssef. I think in a household with 5 rambunctious boys (yes, Yehoshua had 4 brothers, all with equally fun Hebrew names) more effort would have been given to putting food on the plate than having a holiday in Goa or wherever the ancient Israelis went to vacation and play that raquet ball game they are addicted to. Besides, I don't think that India had the ability to offer Kosher food to Israeli visitors. I don't think that a religious jew like young Yehoshua would have abandoned his belief in keeping kosher, particularly since he never once told anyone they were excused. based on the aforementioned, I don't think Buddha and Yehoshua ever had any exchange of theology over a danish and coffee.

if he was he would not have the god belief, he did return from wherever he was with similar beliefs to zoastorism, and was believed by some to be sniffing around there.

connectionsto buddhism there are, but so does yoda,goes hand in hand when 2 talk about peace there will be similarities.

if he was he would not have the god belief, he did return from wherever he was with similar beliefs to zoastorism, and was believed by some to be sniffing around there.

connectionsto buddhism there are, but so does yoda,goes hand in hand when 2 talk about peace there will be similarities.

I found this interesting thought on a Taoist thing - makes me wonder.

The reason that god must be

absolute and this means oneness, omnipotence, omniscience, and

omnipresence. Naturally, anything separate and distinct would not

satisfy this criteria. If there was a god and a world that god created,

then there wold be two things - and god could not be considered

absolute. If there were an absolute god, there could not be anything

separate from god.

Everything is god. We are also god. However, we fail to realize this.

Why? Because we look for god outside of ourselves. We make the mistake

of taking ourselves as the viewer and then seek god as the object of our

examinations. Unfortunately, everything we perceive is tainted by our

subjectivity, and anything that we define ad god “out there”cannot be

god because it is not absolute. All you’ve found is something that

exists in relation to your perceptions.

You are god. The only way to confirm this is to remove the barrier of

subjectivity that prevents you from realizing your essential oneness

with all things.

The reason that god must be

absolute and this means oneness, omnipotence, omniscience, and

omnipresence. Naturally, anything separate and distinct would not

satisfy this criteria. If there was a god and a world that god created,

then there wold be two things - and god could not be considered

absolute. If there were an absolute god, there could not be anything

separate from god.

Everything is god. We are also god. However, we fail to realize this.

Why? Because we look for god outside of ourselves. We make the mistake

of taking ourselves as the viewer and then seek god as the object of our

examinations. Unfortunately, everything we perceive is tainted by our

subjectivity, and anything that we define ad god “out there”cannot be

god because it is not absolute. All you’ve found is something that

exists in relation to your perceptions.

You are god. The only way to confirm this is to remove the barrier of

subjectivity that prevents you from realizing your essential oneness

with all things.

• Like 1

I was Buddhist long before I came to Thailand. I follow Tibetan Buddhism with its Mahayana and Vajrayana teachings. Tibetan Buddhism is not well accepted in Thailand. I've heard a few reasons. One, Thais (Theravadins) say the Buddha did not teach Mahayana and Vajrayana. But, they are mistaken and simply missed it (like the Jews did not recognize Jesus). Second, because of the sexual imagery in tantric Buddhism, Thais are somehow 'offended' by this saying it is disrespectful of the Buddha - again, they miss the meaning even when it is explained, over and over. Moreover, a Theravadin 'scholar' once described the Bodhisattva Vow of the Mahayana, ie., the vow to renounce personal enlightenment until all other beings achieve it first, as nothing more than attachment to the world, calling it a sin. This was one of the most perverse understandings I've ever heard from a fellow Buddhist.

It is telling to me that HH Dalai Lama has not visited Thailand in over 40 years even though Thailand is a Buddhist country. This is such a glaring hypocrisy to me. I've got issues with monks who smoke and own guns, too. But that's just me. wai.gif

• Like 1

I was Buddhist long before I came to Thailand. I follow Tibetan Buddhism with its Mahayana and Vajrayana teachings. Tibetan Buddhism is not well accepted in Thailand. I've heard a few reasons. One, Thais (Theravadins) say the Buddha did not teach Mahayana and Vajrayana. But, they are mistaken and simply missed it (like the Jews did not recognize Jesus). Second, because of the sexual imagery in tantric Buddhism, Thais are somehow 'offended' by this saying it is disrespectful of the Buddha - again, they miss the meaning even when it is explained, over and over. Moreover, a Theravadin 'scholar' once described the Bodhisattva Vow of the Mahayana, ie., the vow to renounce personal enlightenment until all other beings achieve it first, as nothing more than attachment to the world, calling it a sin. This was one of the most perverse understandings I've ever heard from a fellow Buddhist.

It is telling to me that HH Dalai Lama has not visited Thailand in over 40 years even though Thailand is a Buddhist country. This is such a glaring hypocrisy to me. I've got issues with monks who smoke and own guns, too. But that's just me. wai.gif

At least there are many Thai monks who are vegetarians, unlike Tibetan ones.

• Like 1

Religion or beliefs are the thorn in the side of man/woman. Few more centuries and it will be sorted. smile.png

John Lennon's song "imagine" springs to mind.

Yep, and he had the ball's to write it, strangely the song is known by most folk on the planet and accepted. smile.png

Oh yes the song where he says imagine there is no heaven, and then spends the rest of the song describing heaven.

Edited by canuckamuck

Yet we have to reckon that's not so easy to grow vegetables on the rocky Tibetan plateau smile.png

Some time ago i was wondering too why Thai monks eat meat, until i learned that they have one rule that they cannot refuse offerings ( someone pls correct me if i'm wrong )

Yet we have to reckon that's not so easy to grow vegetables on the rocky Tibetan plateau smile.png

Some time ago i was wondering too why Thai monks eat meat, until i learned that they have one rule that they cannot refuse offerings ( someone pls correct me if i'm wrong )

yes such rules come handy.....I also saw group of monks eat meat in restaurants, saw their helper shopping on the market and buy some nice pork licklips.gif

There is no leader who make strong rules or kick out monks who just don't care....I got told it strongly depends on the temple. There are very good one and very rotten one.

to add: If you have 3000 half starving slaves like the Dalai Lama had, than you could farm also in Tibet......Or at least switch to milk products instead meat.

I wonder what the animals eat?

Actually, I've met HH the Dalai Lama and know the reason for their diet - it's because they get sick if eating only vegetarian diet - a genetic thing.

Thai monks - true but some will and have said to my wife that they would rather have vegetarian dishes. I've been on two retreats for 10 days and 13 days at different temples and the food was all vegetarian.

• Like 1

I certainly am not having a go at HH Dalai Lama, quite the opposite. I was merely trying to point out that, in the face of Thai criticism of farang Buddhist that, I as a farang Buddhist, note some questionable leanings among Thai Buddhists. Cheers!