Farang Buddhists

payak

since I have been posting here, I have noticed that if you mention you are Buddhist it is like waving a red flag.

Now I know many people go through the religious phases for a time, my phase has lasted from 12 years old to age 36 years, hardly a phase.

my question is does it really bother people or is it fuel to attack when debating other issues.

such things are said like,your Buddhist,you should not ask questions,should not judge others,should not do this should not do that,but if Thai do it it's fine yes.

we don't live our everyday lives as monks,we talk and question things and judge and debate to.

• Like 2

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any mention of religion or beliefs can cause a wave of judegment..

Same if I mention I am an athiest

I have a good friend who is a Baptist minister, another a muslim.

many Athiest, who is right, who knows or cares.

they are good to me.

• Like 1

Everyone can do or believe like they want as long as the don't try to disturb my life.

But actually all religions try to do. Muslims more, Christs medium and Buddhists less.

But still the Buddhists force people to not buy Alcohol on some days, can't recall that Buddha ever told to force people to their luck.

But always some people want be holier than God...

Everyone can do or believe like they want as long as the don't try to disturb my life.

But actually all religions try to do. Muslims more, Christs medium and Buddhists less.

But still the Buddhists force people to not buy Alcohol on some days, can't recall that Buddha ever told to force people to their luck.

the government forces people not to buy alcahol on certain days,one nations government.

and this is bought about not by the Buddha, but by certain interpritations or misinterpritations.

The religion is not to blame.

• Like 1

Personally its your life your decisions, if every body had the same attitude there would be no trouble,Trouble starts when people try to inpose there thoughts and beliefs on other people, live and let live I say.and respect other peoples ideas and thoughts.

This.

Also, a Buddhist is Buddhist. Unlike the Thai language, there is no seperating of this person and that. If that were the case, Thais would be falang Buddhist as well, as Buddhism came from India.

What i like more of Buddhism, it isn't easily exploited by fanatics. I have yet to meet a Buddhist fanatic. Fanatism isn't good, it makes blood pression go higher, and it's a nuisance for the normal people wai.gif

• Like 1

Why do Some people react negatively farangs being Buddhist?

It is simply a case of tribalism and has nothing to do with religion, some people don't understand Buddhism,just as much as they don't understand their own religion.

• Like 1

I suppose some people get irritated by blatant hypocrisy. Others might get annoyed by comparative religious boasting - my religion is btter than yours because our clerics have longer beards, or more humane slaughter techniques, or because kings don't pay lipservice to our religion in their imperialist wars.

It's rare that someone's religion is relevant to a thread, so why mention it? If it's a personal belief, keep it that way.

SC

• Like 1

the government forces people not to buy alcahol on certain days,one nations government.

and this is bought about not by the Buddha, but by certain interpritations or misinterpritations.

no the people are to blame, the government, the monks and the hypocrites.

Not the religion....Actually the religion is teaching tolerance (what is a big difference to what the bible or quran is teaching)

Not the religion....Actually the religion is teaching tolerance (what is a big difference to what the bible or quran is teaching)

Others might get annoyed by comparative religious boasting - my religion is btter than yours because our clerics have longer beards, or more humane slaughter techniques, or because kings don't pay lipservice to our religion in their imperialist wars.

• Like 1

wars are never fought over religion,people use religion to recruit.

they use it to promote there propogander, those leaders really have other motives such as greed.

the religion is blamed due to the greedy warmongers twisted ideoligy and false use of the religions to inspire people to fight.

the religions are fine, but certain people misuse gullible and desperate people for there own needs.

I will say I'm a Buddhist when asked, and I go through the motions, just like many Thais. I'm not really a Buddhist of course, but you can't be an atheist in Thailand and still fit in somewhere.

Jesus actually was pretty much a Buddhist in his actions.

• Like 2

Others might get annoyed by comparative religious boasting - my religion is btter than yours because our clerics have longer beards, or more humane slaughter techniques, or because kings don't pay lipservice to our religion in their imperialist wars.

yes that's their problem.....I compare religions by how much they annoy me by messing into my life.

Buddhism with just not letting me buy alcohol on some day isn't much disturbing. So it is better for me. But I prefer to keep alone from all of them incl. the lazy scrounging monks.

I will say I'm a Buddhist when asked, and I go through the motions, just like many Thais. I'm not really a Buddhist of course, but you can't be an atheist in Thailand and still fit in somewhere.

Yes Thais are very disturbed if you tell Atheist, but still I tell, normally. Sometimes if I don't want to speak about it, I tell roman catholic.

(My wife doesn't allow me to tell that I am a Gay Russian Muslim (I am neither Gay nor Russian nor Muslim, but I thought it is the best to stop any further conversation from taxi drivers or similar).

I've never really cared for religion(I'm an atheist). I really don't know why humanity needs it. Cultural decoration perhaps?

Well for the weaker minds it is hard to live with the facts.

1) There is no reason why you are here in live.

2) After your unimportant life ends there won't be anything, no soul, no afterlife or rebirth...just nothing.

That isn't easy to swallow. And religion you gives you purpose and hope.......

I do the same. Especially in western countries where the inhabitants are still ate up with the dumb ass about some great heavenly space fairy.

The truth will come out sooner than later. I just hope I live to that time as I want to witness the holy-rollers lose their s#1t when they realize they have devoted their lives to a lie.

I've never really cared for religion(I'm an atheist). I really don't know why humanity needs it. Cultural decoration perhaps?

Well for the weaker minds it is hard to live with the facts.

1) There is no reason why you are here in live.

2) After your unimportant life ends there won't be anything, no soul, no afterlife or rebirth...just nothing.

That isn't easy to swallow. And religion you gives you purpose and hope.......

Men of religion are of weaker minds - come off it, what a ridiculous thing to say.

• Like 1

I do the same. Especially in western countries where the inhabitants are still ate up with the dumb ass about some great heavenly space fairy.

The truth will come out sooner than later. I just hope I live to that time as I want to witness the holy-rollers lose their s#1t when they realize they have devoted their lives to a lie.

Is spitefulness and lack of respect for the views of others a fundamental part of atheism? Or is it just that you need something to believe in and look forward to?

SC

• Like 2

Actually Thai Buddhism doesn't believe in God either. You can be an atheist in Thailand AND a Buddhist.

I think most people who are say they are Atheists are actually Agnostics.

I find it that many "so-called" Atheists are desperate to tell everyone that they and are full of self-righteous indignation.

Edited by Johnniey