So I Was Cruising Along On My 'Cycle Today In Jomtien, And.........

Deaw

Oooops, my apologies.....thought you were saying *I* am somehow paranoid for starting the whole thread.

In any case the copper has no way to find me [save for the license plate on the rented bike, now turned in] and I am staying about 10 miles from there, I will never see that guy again; thank God

But his connected mate in New York now has your home address?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming you live here, why haven't you got a Thai license or an International Drivers Permit?

Is it legal to drive here on a NY License?? Not having the correct driving permit will affect your insurance!

Why put yourself in that situation...

Yes, I live here 1/2 of every year, sometimes more, but again I live on Koh Phangan and we never have police pullovers for no reason. Once in a very blue moon they will set up road blocks and ticket people with no helmets, usually when they need to raise some cash. Pay the 200 and on your way, never once have I or anyone I know been asked for a license.

If today's incident did nothing else it reminded me that I need to get one eventually, at least for the times I leave KPG.

So you are quite happy to pay 200 Baht for not having a helmet (a legal requirement) but get uppity with the cops when they ask you for a licence as they are entitled to ask for???

I didn't realize you couldn't ride a rented motorbike with a NY license.

I think you can't but normally no one ever cares

Most little shops never ask for licenses. As for the law, you need a motorcycle license from your home or a Thai motorcycle DL. Tourists rarely have motorcycle licenses and this cops usually accept a car license for tourists.

I was pulled over a month ago in Pattaya proper; same deal, they want to see a helmet, a registration, and a drivers license. For falangs, it must be an international license; truthfully, I don't know even one person who has this and I know a lot of expats.

I got a 200B fine that day, with a receipt, and there were cops everywhere, it was a road block for ALL motorcycles.....they do it whenever they need to raise some funds for the policeman's benevolent society sad.png

Did they specifically ask you for an international drivers permit? An English language license with a photo is already an international license. And of course farangs can drive on a Thai DL as well.

Not true, the cops will accept a local Thai licence if you don't have an in international licence, which you should always have if you don't have a local license.

Depends. If you are a visitor/tourist you can use your home license. Of course as a tourist you can still use a Thai DL if you have one. If you are a resident you need a Thai DL. Whether home DL or Thai DL, if you are on a motorcycle you need a motorcycle license, if you are driving a car you need a car license, . Hopefully after the OP responds we will find out if he has a motorcycle license. I doubt it, thus the ticket is legit. A photo DL in English is an international license in Thailand. Despite what websites claim, you don't need an IDP. I would also like to know if the cop asked for an IDP. I doubt it, as you don't need them here. Not for renting, insurance, driving, nothing.

the whatwasit 130b? local license would pay off in half a day.

Please tell me where to get this; I will buy one tomorrow, no joke.

Keep in mind I don't live here full-time, only during high seasons.

I am in Pattaya south - Thank you!

The department of Land Transport for Chonburi is located near the Regents school on highway 26 to Rayong. You'll need (the last I checked, a few years ago) a non immigrant visa and a proof of residence from immigration. Search this forum for more details.

Problem......I don't have any proof of residence, I only stay in Thailand about 6 or 7 months per year.

I do have a non-immigrant Type O visa.....and next year I will look into this a lot better and get myself either a local license or an IDL. Truth be told I didn't even know a falang could get one of those since, ummmmm, most of us can't speak the language? Again, with the NY state analogy; imagine a Thai guy living in Albany and they go to the local DMV and try to get a license but they can't speak English? Not happening.

Edited by Deaw

Assuming you live here, why haven't you got a Thai license or an International Drivers Permit?

Is it legal to drive here on a NY License?? Not having the correct driving permit will affect your insurance!

Yes, I live here 1/2 of every year, sometimes more, but again I live on Koh Phangan and we never have police pullovers for no reason. Once in a very blue moon they will set up road blocks and ticket people with no helmets, usually when they need to raise some cash. Pay the 200 and on your way, never once have I or anyone I know been asked for a license.

If today's incident did nothing else it reminded me that I need to get one eventually, at least for the times I leave KPG.

So you are quite happy to pay 200 Baht for not having a helmet (a legal requirement) but get uppity with the cops when they ask you for a licence as they are entitled to ask for???

Again, it's all about getting credit for paying.....the 2 times I was stopped in Phangan [not bad for living there for 6 high seasons, really] and the one time I was stopped last month in Pattaya for no license, there were a handful of cops around or even more; the roadblock in Pattaya was near the Central Festival and there were about 20 of them there, and they made a ton. So because there were bosses around, the guys who stopped you couldn't get "tea money"; you paid at a desk and got a RECEIPT to show you paid. 200 each time on Phangan and 200 in Pattaya for no license.

Today the guy asked for 500.....sounded a bit high, but OK, here you go.....now where the heck is my receipt? Was I really so out of line to ask the guy for proof that I paid him? What if I got stopped down the road a mile or 2 and someone else asked me for 500 more?

• Like 1

the whatwasit 130b? local license would pay off in half a day.

Please tell me where to get this; I will buy one tomorrow, no joke.

Keep in mind I don't live here full-time, only during high seasons.

I am in Pattaya south - Thank you!

The department of Land Transport for Chonburi is located near the Regents school on highway 26 to Rayong. You'll need (the last I checked, a few years ago) a non immigrant visa and a proof of residence from immigration. Search this forum for more details.

Problem......I don't have any proof of residence, I only stay in Thailand about 6 or 7 months per year.

I do have a non-immigrant Type O visa.....and next year I will look into this a lot better and get myself either a local license or an IDL. Truth be told I didn't even know a falang could get one of those since, ummmmm, most of us can't speak the language? Again, with the NY state analogy; imagine a Thai guy living in Albany and they go to the local DMV and try to get a license but they can't speak English? Not happening.

1. you can get a letter from your local immigration office saying that you live in Thailand sio you can get a local licence, based on your O visa.

2, I'm sure in US you can find many nationalities that don't speak English but have a driving livcence,

Edited by PattayaParent

I like this story. I am glad you complained. The only issue I have with this is that you handed the cop 500B which you knew was a bribe, not an official fine, and then asked for a receipt knowing full well you weren't going to get one. You initiated the wrong doing by trying to bribe him, which would be jail time in your home country. Of course that doesn't make what he did acceptable. Not in the least. But sadly still the norm here.

BTW, for people that don't know, NY is one of the few places in the US that you can actually bribe a cop out of a traffic ticket. Back when I was a cop in California, some cop friends of mine were visiting NY and got pulled over. They didn't immediately tell the NY cop they were California cops and the cop actually asked for cash to let them go. We were all kinda shaking our heads at this. This was so foreign to us in California where we get it drilled into us that if we are caught accepting a free cup of coffee it's instant termination, apart from maybe LAPD.

You broke the law and are making a mountain out of a molehill.

If he is a tourist (sounds like he can't really make that claim) and the license is also a motorcycle license, then he is not breaking the law.

You are stupid if you think you can change things.

Thinking like a Thai that. People in Thailand usually initiate the bribe hoping they don't have to waste time. If they didn't the cops wouldn't be trying this all the time. Both parties are at fault, and breaking the law. Whether you think you can change things or not, the OP did the right thing. Good on him. thumbsup.gif

Driving without a license is stupid - you deserve a lot more sever punishment.

He had a license, just not the correct one. But I agree, the punishment should be more severe if you don't have one. Pointless really though with the corruption issue.

BTW, part of each fine goes into a pool and is (legally) disseminated to the officers at the station as a work incentive.

Edited by NomadJoe

Hopefully after the OP responds we will find out if he has a motorcycle license.

Still reading here Joe, and thanks for the input. Your post is eye-opening to say the least; I DO have an MC license, but it's from NY state, it just has a little "MC" notice on it that proves I passed my tests.

This part - "A photo DL is an international license in Thailand" wow, I just learned something right here [and surely so did a bunch of others above who thought they knew all].

Just to be sure you understand......the guy waved me over but didn't really say a word because he knew hardly any English.......been coming here since '98 so I knew the drill anyway, and opened up my seat and gave him my paperwork on the bike rental, and handed him my license which was in my wallet. I had a helmet on, so no issue there. My NY state license is valid, says "MC" on it, and I am not a resident here, just a tourist [granted, I do stay a long time, but I have no residence and I go back to the states for 1/2 of every year]. He really didn't say anything, just some grunting and Thai I didn't understand, and then he pointed to the little police book he had; it had prices on it for every infraction and next to "no license - invalid license" it said 500 baht and he pointed to that.

Are you telling me he had no right to give me a ticket of any kind? I won't push the issue any further, I just wanna know.....thank you.

[Most little shops never ask for licenses. As for the law, you need a motorcycle license from your home or a Thai motorcycle DL. Tourists rarely have motorcycle licenses and this cops usually accept a car license for tourists.

I was pulled over a month ago in Pattaya proper; same deal, they want to see a helmet, a registration, and a drivers license. For falangs, it must be an international license; truthfully, I don't know even one person who has this and I know a lot of expats.

Did they specifically ask you for an international drivers permit? An English language license with a photo is already an international license. And of course farangs can drive on a Thai DL as well.

Not true, the cops will accept a local Thai licence if you don't have an in international licence, which you should always have if you don't have a local license.

Depends. If you are a visitor/tourist you can use your home license.

Says who?

Everything I've read says you need an IDP to drive here as a tourist.

I like this story. I am glad you complained. The only issue I have with this is that you handed the cop 500B which you knew was a bribe, not an official fine, and then asked for a receipt knowing full well you weren't going to get one. You initiated the wrong doing by trying to bribe him, which would be jail time in your home country. Of course that doesn't make what he did acceptable. Not in the least. But sadly still the norm here.

Again, just to clarify......I did try to pay him off first, 200 baht; he said no. So when he showed me the fine in his little log book which said 500, I dutifully paid that. At that point, I didn't think it was a bribe, I thought that was the legal price and I even said "In pattaya that fine is only 200 baht" but he didn't understand me and kept pointing to the book. Then he put the cash in his pocket......it may have registered in my mind that it was a bribe at THAT point, but I was already committed to getting my receipt for what I thought was a valid fee. When I asked for one and didn't get it, THEN I knew it was a pay off; to him.

Don't worry about Johnniey and his nonsense, I haven't. Anyone who says "stupid" that many times about someone they have never even met isn't someone even worth arguing with. But I must admit seeing you prove him wrong on all his foolish little bullet points has made my night :)

, with the NY state analogy; imagine a Thai guy living in Albany and they go to the local DMV and try to get a license but they can't speak English? Not happening.

From the NY DMV website:

Effective October 4, 2007, the written tests for a Class D, Class DJ, or Class E driver license are available in the following languages only:

Albanian

Arabic

Bosnian

Chinese

English

French

Greek

Italian

Japanese

Korean

Polish

Russian

Spanish

If you cannot read your native language, you can take the test through an interpreter that is certified by a recognized organization. You must pay for the interpreter.

Edited by NomadJoe

He had a license, just not the correct one. But I agree, the punishment should be more severe if you don't have one. Pointless really though with the corruption issue.

So if you stopped me in California driving on a Uzbeki licence you would say 'no problemo, it's a license, just not a legal one in this country but that Ok I'll let you go'?

Edited by PattayaParent

It's so easy to live here just obey the rules. I can just imagine what would happen if a foreigner is stopped in NY without the the correct permit.....and it would cost a dam_n site more as well.

Yes, very valid point....some NY state trooper would look at the Thai license, have a good laugh and throw the guy in the back of his squad car! So by comparison I got off very lightly.

No you are wrong. As a tourist you are allowed to use a foreign drivers license in NYS, and I have rented a car with a Thai DL there as well.

Edited by Time Traveller

One question, in case this happens again and you are right on and all the haters above are wrong; if the copper who pulls me over doesn't speak any english [or pretends not to] how do I get my point across that my license IS indeed valid?

BTW, I go home on 7/29 for 3 months so this won't be an issue for a while, but when I return it's good to know these facts; thanks a lot for coming into this thread with your biker knowledge.

You USA people can use your valid DL for a 1/2 year here without doing an IDL or a local one - looks like you still got ripped off...

1/2 a year? Where did you pull that number from?

A resident needs a Thai DL. A tourist can use home DL. If that home DL is in English and has a photo it is considered an international license here. If a tourist becomes a resident, which can happen through various ways such as obtains a WP, gets a Thai bank account, enrolls children in school, etc, then they need a Thai DL.

Been stopped more times than I care to mention, always wear a helmet, have a Thai license = No Hassle; No Fine; No Tea Money. So Easy!!

An international drivers permit (a translation of your home license into 11 languages, none of them Thai which in most countries issued by auto club) is not for people that live here. It's for visitors/tourists. Residents must have a Thai DL. You can get an IDP before coming here to visit if you wish, but if your license is already in English and has a photo, you don't need it.

[Most little shops never ask for licenses. As for the law, you need a motorcycle license from your home or a Thai motorcycle DL. Tourists rarely have motorcycle licenses and this cops usually accept a car license for tourists.

Depends. If you are a visitor/tourist you can use your home license.

Says who?

Everything you have read is wrong. Multiple police officials have made the comment publicly that despite what the UN Traffic Act says, they choose to accept English language licenses for visitors if they have a photo. You can't argue with the logic. Why would an IDP, which remember is just an translation of your home license into English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, German, Arabic, Italian, the Scandinavian languages, and Portuguese, be of any value in Thailand?

BTW, since the OP has a car and motorcycle NY license, this makes getting a Thai DL very easy. You don't have to watch the video, sit for the written tests, or take the driving tests. I was in and out in less than an hour if I recall. You may need to bring a copy of the NY DMV page which explains the classes of license you have if it's not clear on the license.

• Like 1

If a tourist becomes a resident, which can happen through various ways such as obtains a WP, gets a Thai bank account, enrolls children in school, etc, then they need a Thai DL.

It seems there is a fine line between Tourist and Resident, and I don't think I have ever come close to being a resident! sure, I do come here a lot, but I have never had a home, a car, a motorbike [always rent], a job, a work permit, etc.....I move around a lot, and on Phangan Island I have had 5 different residences [ 2 were hotels] in 6 years. I am in Pattaya right now having some medical stuff done at BPH before I head home, and staying in a hotel close to Jomtien.

I think I would be considered a tourist by anyone's definition.....now, how do I go about convincing the non-english-speaking copper who pulls me over that this is so?

So if you stopped me in California driving on a Uzbeki licence you would say 'no problemo, it's a license, just not a legal one in this country but that Ok I'll let you go'?

That's what I don't get about the guy above who said he got stopped in NY state with a Thai license and it was no problem. I have been pulled over many times in my 49 years and couldn't even imagine what would happen if I handed him a license from Yemen or Brazil or something. I think they would have a chuckle and throw it back at me and say "nice try, now where is a valid license issued in the USA"?

I can't answer that because you have made a false assumption in your supposition. Foriegn licenses used by visitors/tourists are legal in California full stop. IDP's are not accepted. So as long as you are a visitor and not a resident, yes, "no poblemo." as it is perfectly legal.

Drive safe. Have a nice day. smile.png

Edited by NomadJoe

That's what I don't get about the guy above who said he got stopped in NY state with a Thai license and it was no problem. I have been pulled over many times in my 49 years and couldn't even imagine what would happen if I handed him a license from Yemen or Brazil or something. I think they would have a chuckle and throw it back at me and say "nice try, now where is a valid license issued in the USA"?

Yeah, lots of people think the same. Truth of the matter is your Thai DL is perfectly legal back home as long as you are visiting and not a resident there. Understand that drivers licenses requirements operate irrespective of citizenship.

From California DMV website:

The State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP) as a valid driver license. California does recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident.

The IDP is only a translation of information contained on a person’s foreign driver license and is not required to operate a motor vehicle in California.

Edited by NomadJoe

A couple things I forgot to mention.

OP you said you spoke Thai the officer: "Song roy" or whatever. This was the wrong thing to do when handing him a license from home. It indicates you may be a resident. Hand him the DL, if he tries to do you, ask why. Point out it's still valid (as in dates) and has a motorcycle endorsement, and that you are a tourist.

Also, may have been mentioned, but you can use your rental contract as evidence of residence.

Says who?

Everything you have read is wrong. Multiple police officials have made the comment publicly that despite what the UN Traffic Act says, they choose to accept English language licenses for visitors if they have a photo. You can't argue with the logic. Why would an IDP, which remember is just an translation of your home license into English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, German, Arabic, Italian, the Scandinavian languages, and Portuguese, be of any value in Thailand?

BTW, since the OP has a car and motorcycle NY license, this makes getting a Thai DL very easy. You don't have to watch the video, sit for the written tests, or take the driving tests. I was in and out in less than an hour if I recall. You may need to bring a copy of the NY DMV page which explains the classes of license you have if it's not clear on the license.

and by the same logic why would a translation of an English drivers licence be required in USA, Australia, Canada or New Zealand, where I have needed one? (except in USA where they wanted a licenSe).

If a tourist becomes a resident, which can happen through various ways such as obtains a WP, gets a Thai bank account, enrolls children in school, etc, then they need a Thai DL.

It seems there is a fine line between Tourist and Resident, and I don't think I have ever come close to being a resident! sure, I do come here a lot, but I have never had a home, a car, a motorbike [always rent], a job, a work permit, etc.....I move around a lot, and on Phangan Island I have had 5 different residences [ 2 were hotels] in 6 years. I am in Pattaya right now having some medical stuff done at BPH before I head home, and staying in a hotel close to Jomtien.

I think I would be considered a tourist by anyone's definition.....now, how do I go about convincing the non-english-speaking copper who pulls me over that this is so?

Actually the onus is on him to prove you aren't, but we know the reality of the situation. Stay here on a tourist visa would be one way. As I metnioned before, you can get triple entry (9 mo if you time things right) them at home very easily. Show them that, or a copy, when you get stopped if they really push it.

A couple things I forgot to mention.

OP you said you spoke Thai the officer: "Song roy" or whatever. This was the wrong thing to do when handing him a license from home. It indicates you may be a resident. Hand him the DL, if he tries to do you, ask why. Point out it's still valid (as in dates) and has a motorcycle endorsement, and that you are a tourist.

Also, may have been mentioned, but you can use your rental contract as evidence of residence.

OK, understood. I tried to give him song loi, 200 baht, based on what I had paid in Pattaya last month. I totally expected him to take the 200 and that would be that, either bribe or legal [in Pattaya it was legal]. Then he took me into his office and showed me his book with the 500 baht line in there.

so basically, act like a tourist, don't use any Thai, do everything legal, no bribes offered.....good stuff to know for the last 2 weeks of my visit.

My sister got stopped for speeding in England and she thought she'd be smart and give the cops her Dubai driving licence.

Cop took a look at it and said "this licence has expired ma;am" she was gobsmacked to find he was an ex Royal Omani Police Force training cop and could read the Arabic licence,and let her off with a warning not to try it on again.

• Like 2

I can't answer that because you have made a false assumption in your supposition. Foriegn licenses used by visitors/tourists are legal in California full stop. IDP's are not accepted. So as long as you are a visitor and not a resident, yes, "no poblemo." as it is perfectly legal.

Drive safe. Have a nice day. smile.png

But how do you know I've shown you my driving licence and not my library card?

Says who?

and by the same logic why would a translation of an English drivers licence be required in USA, Australia, Canada or New Zealand, where I have needed one? (except in USA where they wanted a licenSe).

I am not going to look up the laws for each territory and state of each country you listed, as that would take several hours, but the first one I did, NSW Australia, revealed you don't need an IDP if your license is already in English. I'm willing to bet most of the others are the same, you can prove me wrong if you want. I may well be.

From the NSW Transport Roads & Maritime Department

As a temporary overseas visitor, if you hold a current driver licence from another country, you are allowed to drive in NSW on your overseas licence as long as:

• You remain a temporary overseas visitor

• Your overseas licence remains current

• You have not been disqualified from driving in NSW or elsewhere and

• You have not had your licence suspended or cancelled or your visiting driver privileges withdrawn.

You are not required to obtain a NSW licence if you comply with these conditions and can continue to prove your genuine visitor status to NSW Police if required.

When driving in NSW you must carry your overseas driver licence. Your licence must be written in English or, if the licence is not in English, you must either carry an English translation or an International Driving Permit."

If any of those locations do require an IDP for a license that is already in English, then I agree with you, it isn't logical.

Edited by NomadJoe