The New Rangers Thread

Jockstar

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two leagues of twenty is the only sensible option imho.

What about the other 2 clubs smokes? Oh wait a minute, if Rangers come to England. What about the one other club tongue.png

Buy him a hat and sunscreen and send him on his holidays will ya Jockstar?

Arbroath in the top division....I dream of the day....! biggrin.png

Seriously though the current three or four division thing is crap....two of twenty might not be popular in Glasgow but its the best thing for the game in Scotland.

• 3 weeks later...

Have a read of this then.

Cam on down: PM David Cameron backs Rangers and Celtic move to Premier League
30 Mar 2013 23:00

Old Firm are the Prime Minister's secret weapon in a bid to win the Scottish independence vote

A sensational new bid by Rangers and Celtic to join English football is receiving top-secret backing from Prime Minister David Cameron, writes the Sunday People.

Sunday People Sport can reveal that Number 10 is taking a ‘massive interest’ in the ­potential switch of the Scottish giants.

Cameron’s surprise part in the controversial move is two-fold:

* Because of fears over safety if the Glasgow clubs go into England’s lower leagues and ‘swamp’ small grounds with their massive support.

* And, bizarrely but significantly, to catch votes in the upcoming vote on Scottish independence.

Two major powerbrokers involved in the process confirmed that meetings have taken place ­recently with Cameron and other leading figures. And the Prime Minister’s team are planning to pull strings to make the move happen sooner rather than later.

Both Rangers and Celtic have tried to find ways of coming to England in the past few years, only to run into resistance.

Rangers – under the leadership of Yorkshireman Charles Green – have even looked at joining the Conference.

PM: David Cameron has his reasons for welcoming the Scottish giants
PA

And Celtic were manoeuvring to join the Football League at the third tier a year ago – as we exclusively revealed. Until now the game’s authorities have found ways of stopping the border raiders coming to England despite many clubs welcoming it for financial reasons.

But if Cameron and his government allies can help persuade the leaders of the FA, Premier League and Football League behind the scenes it could be breakthrough time.

One prominent figure, who wishes to remain anonymous, insists Rangers and Celtic have “never had a better chance” of coming to England because of the political climate. He said: “This is a major issue and the talks have gone all the way to the very top.

“There would be huge potential problems if Rangers decided to buy their way into a Conference club. It is something they are openly talking about.

“Could you imagine thousands of their fans turning up at tiny grounds and all of the policing and security problems that would cause.

“That is a major worry for Cameron and that has been pointed out in discussions about what would happen in those circumstances.

“And, of course, there is the vote on independence which is currently splitting Scotland and putting Cameron under pressure as the Queen would see the union being broken up on his watch.

“Rangers fans are squarely behind the unionist cause and will always wave the flag. But if Celtic were to be playing in England it might prove to their fans that they should be British. This may sound strange to people in England but there are hundreds of thousands of votes here – and football is at the middle of a lot of debates up here.”

Hot Scot: Rangers coach McCoist celebrates with the league trophy
PA

The Conference issue could be kicked into touch, as fresh moves are being talked about among Championship chairmen to find a way of bringing Rangers and Celtic into the second tier.

One top source confirmed: “It is the only sensible solution. We all know the clubs want to come here and would do virtually anything to make it happen. It would be very difficult under the present rules. But there are moves afoot. Any government support could only help.”

One scenario is that the larger clubs in the Championship form a breakaway – in effect Premier League Two – and invite Rangers and Celtic to the party.

It would only take a year to set up, which would no doubt meet with approval in high places, where a deal BEFORE the Scottish independence vote in September 2014 is seen as crucial.

The most drastic plan would be for Celtic or Rangers to BUY a Conference side, or a struggling League One or League Two club, but this would also increase government safety concerns.

Such an option could see the astonishing prospect of Rangers and Celtic moving lock stock and barrel to England before eventually returning to Ibrox and Parkhead.

The Scots giants are even willing to pay to come to England – with talk of a £15million bounty each which would go to Football League clubs who could lose out.

But those amounts would be peanuts compared to the money that would roll in from TV revenue when they reach the Premier League promised land.

Top clubs in England pocket in the region of £60m each from TV rights – that figure will be closer to £100m from next season when an astonishing £3billion new deal kicks in.

Celtic, in contrast, pick up £2.4m for winning the Scottish league.

By EWING GRAHAME
Published on Sunday 31 March 2013 00:00

Rangers manager Ally McCoist insists that he would not welcome an invitation from the Scottish Premier League to join a breakaway second tier should their proposals for a new 12-12-18 structure next season fail to find favour with Scottish Football League clubs.

A majority of 75 per cent (22 members) in favour of the proposals is required and it’s understood that there is insufficient interest in rushing the new structure through.

However, while SFL chief executive David Longmuir is asking to postpone any change for a year, it’s believed that his SPL counterpart, Neil Doncaster, and his board are preparing to invite selected clubs to join them in a new set-up.

McCoist, however, would be hostile to any approach. Still resentful over what he views as the vindictiveness of the SPL clubs towards Rangers last summer, he would not wish to confer credibility on any kind of breakaway by attaching Rangers’ name to it. However, he realises that the inclusion of Rangers would significantly aid the SPL when it comes to attracting sponsors and broadcasters and that their name will be top of Doncaster’s wish-list.

“We probably would be,” he said. “I’d be very uneasy with it — stabbing the SFL in the back after they looked after us.

“I’d be very uneasy with it. That’s only my personal opinion. The SFL have given us a platform to play this season and all of a sudden we get an opportunity to go? It wouldn’t leave a good taste in my mouth, that’s for sure.

“That’s not to say we won’t do it – I can’t be more honest than that.

“But I’d be flabbergasted if anyone from the SPL came to speak to me.”

There is also the small matter of clubs being legally bound to provide the SFL with two years’ notice of their intention to leave the organisation.

“Only in this country!” said McCoist. “It’s unbelievable we’re in this position six games from the end of the season.

“You’d guess they’re running out of time. That would be my guess but I wouldn’t put my money on it.

“At this moment I expect to be in SFL2 next season. I would expect Queen of the South to be promoted and I would be hope that happens.

“[Rangers’ head of football administration] Andrew Dickson was at the meeting of the SFL clubs on Thursday and I have discussed it with him at great length.

“It went the way he expected it to go. The sense of self-preservation is massive, as you can totally understand.”

Nothing sums up the rollercoaster last 12 months for Rangers fans better than Saturday, March 30, 2013. With all the moans and subsequent worry the direction in which the football is going after seeing a truly dire 0-0 draw with Montrose at Links Park earlier in the day, Rangers still go on to win the Scottish Football League's Third Division trophy because second-place Queen's Park lost at home and can no longer catch the Ibrox club.

There will be few wild celebrations as many supporters will only see it as a necessary step back to the top. Yet when put into the perspective of this time last year, when no-one knew if the club would continue, it must be seen as a positive moment.

Rangers FC had three goals at the start of the season. The first, and most important was to ensure survival. The successful share issue, sponsorship deals and 38,000 season ticket sales achieved that.

The second was to win the league, or more specifically get promoted, as staying in the fourth-tier for another season would be a disaster. This has now been reached.

The third goal was to start a new football strategy and philosophy at the club. Without a time machine it can never be known if this is truly a failure, but the terrible football on show is unlikely to be the start of anything big.

The 'two out of three' victory has left the fans confused. Should they celebrate winning a Third Division they could only lose? Should the summer of 2012 and unfair transfer registration ban (which the Court of Session proved wasn't even a valid punishment) be a factor in how badly the team are playing, or is that just an excuse? Is having a club to support enough, or should the same high standards be adhered to at all times - even with the problems at the start of the season?

Future football historians will be able to cleverly point out all the correct answers to these questions, but hindsight is a luxury current Rangers fans don't yet have, except for looking back over the last year and seeing what might have been - which in itself could be the best medicine to the uncertainty.

Not only could Rangers have ceased to exist, but even if they trundled on in the Third Division the fans could have deserted them. Neither happened.

But this wasn't all. A 'failed' tax case with HMRC and wrongdoing in past player contracts was largely thought to be fact. So much so that the 'guardians' of the game in the Scottish Football Association (SFA) and Scottish Premier League (SPL) drew up a draft document where Rangers would have to forfeit titles, for no reason, in return for the club to play in the First Division.

That Rangers won the tax case and the Lord Nimmo Smith report showed that there was no sporting advantage in the way Rangers paid their players was the most important victory of the season. Without it the club would have been attacked mercilessly and would be badly weakened and embittered for decades to come.

So although the Third Division is not the best league, nor are the current Light Blues the best team, remember this: the Rangers are still here; the support is still loyal and the trophy room is still bursting.

And there will always be more.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What did he say 'bout Ahmad? Hope it wasn't racist.

So Green & Whyte are gone (bedmates) let's see what lies ahead.

Referred to him as his 'Paki friend'..

Lovely. Just the type of person you would want as CEO.

To see how much this all stinks have a wee gander at this website that one of my sources put me on to wink.png www.philmacgiollabhain.ie

Phil has written some great stuff on all of this and the archives are well worth a nosey (and readers comments are priceless). Look at 'Only A Matter Of Time' for interesting up-to-date info on the Green & Whyte saga.

• 2 weeks later...

What did he say 'bout Ahmad? Hope it wasn't racist.

So Green & Whyte are gone (bedmates) let's see what lies ahead.

Referred to him as his 'Paki friend'..

Lovely. Just the type of person you would want as CEO.

To see how much this all stinks have a wee gander at this website that one of my sources put me on to wink.png www.philmacgiollabhain.ie

Phil has written some great stuff on all of this and the archives are well worth a nosey (and readers comments are priceless). Look at 'Only A Matter Of Time' for interesting up-to-date info on the Green & Whyte saga.

So your point Mr C B is that philmacgobetc is to be treated as a serious commentator and not a bigoted, Rangers-hating, IRA-loving fenian.

Well that tells us a lot, so thank you for finally coming out.smile.png

Private Eye reported that Green had sold quite a lot of cheap Rangers shares to shell companies, with a view to him and a few unnamed associates making a good deal of money when they floated.

Him leaving has nothing to do with the racism incident, I think the Board read the article.