Is Pattaya The Most Convenient City In The World?

MrZM

All it takes to appreciate where we live in Thailand, (in this case Pattaya)is a trip to our home country or just to another country for holiday. Many things I take for granted here (such as ATM machines at every Seven/Eleven;in expensive massages; beer for a $1.50 US dollar; Thai food or Western food; and a more relaxed atmosphere is sometimes taken for granted. Once I go on holiday or back home, I am happy to be back and the irritations seem to be wiped away (for awhile that is!)

• Like 1

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All it takes to appreciate where we live in Thailand, (in this case Pattaya)is a trip to our home country or just to another country for holiday. Many things I take for granted here (such as ATM machines at every Seven/Eleven;in expensive massages; beer for a $1.50 US dollar; Thai food or Western food; and a more relaxed atmosphere is sometimes taken for granted. Once I go on holiday or back home, I am happy to be back and the irritations seem to be wiped away (for awhile that is!)

I agree, I went to Bali for 2 weeks and apart from the surfing and Ullu Watu, I thought it was crap....But everyone praises Bali as the island of the Gods...I think the Gods left a long time ago. Massages were cheap but everything else was more expensive and of inferior quality...If only Pattaya had good surf and a clean beach....it would be more manageable.

• Like 1

Since the mid-80s, it has become less convenient. But I suppose that depends on what is meant by convenient. For me that means going places and getting things that I need with the least amount of trouble/challenges/effort. That does not mean that Pattaya-Jomtien does not have a certain degree of convenience; rather, it simply means that convenience is declining with each passing year. Why? I think it is declining because of people pollution, general economic decline, and an attitude change towards farangs that is not positive. The relaxed, no worries, EZ factor is going away fast.

The most convenient city in the world is Singapore

Maybe if you have 10mill US$ handy it would not be too bad. When I talk to the nice/polite/well educated local people there, they are stunned that my 2 story house cost less than their shoebox 75M2 condo.

Pattaya is a decent place but it many ways it is treated as a dump by the officials in charge. Clapped out sidewalks, virtually no noise control, yabba heads running around like yabba heads, a grubby beach, scammers run certain businesses etc.

On the plus side for the visitor

7-11s, easy availability of Non-Thai food, movie theaters which show movies in English, variety of accommodations etc.

But the most convenient in the world? I don't think so.

Which major Thai beach resort are you talking about. Being a bit too general here.

Sorry guys, I was replying to LTT' post and Wigman had sort of popped his head up!!!

I have to agree with that 'Lovetoravel'!

4 shopping malls,4 good hospitals including the Bangkok-pattya' . The 'yellow metered' cabs as well as the 10 Bt small( jump on) bus system every 20 seconds usually, Try the world class restaurants on Thrappya road or sit in a bar at the bottom of soi 8 eating cheep ,good,food from the vendor wheeling her cart past and as you get down to Najomtien it honestly matches all most any Euro resort and some of the sea food places down there are great! Take a look at the royal cliff hotel and the like! It has a great convenience in MHO with all these things as well as a 'sleazy' underbelly which can be fun if you are open minded about Thai ways.

It 'sure aint Kansas Dorothy' though rolleyes.gif

Take a look ,maybe, before making your mind up.

Edited by swanks

I walked from the far North of Pattaya Beach to Walking Street (and back) today around 5 pm. It was great. Yeah alot of tourists from places other than Farangland and some trash. They have made an effort to make it nice though and I appreciate it.

Nothing is perfect and today was a darn nice day. I'll tell you one thing, it's a darn sight better than Patong Beach.

We don't live in South or Central and there is a huge area outside the Klang to Tai area in Pattaya that is somewhat normal.

• Like 1

It's pretty convenient until your local gym closes and the beach is starting to resemble a rubbish tip. I suppose I should just hang out in the bars and massage parlours. whistling.gif

Yes, we could use at least one decent gym to replace California Wow. Alas, with Tony opening dumps all over the place that's not going to happen any time soon.

A further Pattaya Basher has had his post removed.

You're doing a good job - you knew you'd have your work cut out for you when this thread started.

What is it with these people? Do you also get Chiang Mai, Samui, Hua Hin, Bangkok or Phuket bashers, for example?

Edited by tropo

I went to Bali for 2 weeks and apart from the surfing and Ullu Watu, I thought it was crap

I agree. I did not like Bali and the rest of Indonesia even more so. I do not get all the hoopla.

I kinda agree with Bali. I did like Ubud...for a few days. The rest of Bali was OK, Kuta sucks. I've met people who rave about the rest of Indo. I haven't been yet.

NO

Actually, yes. We remove these topics/posts on a regular basis also. But Pattaya is number one for sure. Especially from people who have never been here or only been here 1 time.

Don't worry. There are plenty of Phuket, Bangkok and Chiang Mai bashers too. coffee1.gif

Yes its kind of sad really, those people must be bored like hell, nothing else to do than slam the places. Sure if you have actually lived in one of those places and you got something constructive to say, fair enough.

I don't enter Phuket forum and start bashing (Lived there for 3 years), why should I? I can't really see what I can achieve by doing it.

I been defending Pattaya in I don't know how many topics now and are getting feed up with it but this is my home and I love to live here and thus defend my place.

All over the world people are moving in & out of Cities for many reasons and most super rich have min 2 places on the Earth they live in, some even have their own Island so they don't have to listen to shit from anybody when they need a brake.

• Like 1

Maybe if you have 10mill US$ handy it would not be too bad. When I talk to the nice/polite/well educated local people there, they are stunned that my 2 story house cost less than their shoebox 75M2 condo.

10 Million USD would be convenient anywhere mate thumbsup.gif . Agree on the condo prices, I rent an old 1200sq/ft apartment which was just sold for about a million Sing $ !

Don't worry. There are plenty of Phuket, Bangkok and Chiang Mai bashers too. coffee1.gif

Yes its kind of sad really, those people must be bored like hell, nothing else to do than slam the places. Sure if you have actually lived in one of those places and you got something constructive to say, fair enough.

I don't enter Phuket forum and start bashing (Lived there for 3 years), why should I? I can't really see what I can achieve by doing it.

I been defending Pattaya in I don't know how many topics now and are getting feed up with it but this is my home and I love to live here and thus defend my place.

All over the world people are moving in & out of Cities for many reasons and most super rich have min 2 places on the Earth they live in, some even have their own Island so they don't have to listen to shit from anybody when they need a brake.

PLEASE! When you see a bashing post, report it. We can't read every post and rely on our members to help us out.thumbsup.gif

I agree, this is a very strange type of behaviour we encounter. Unless there was a specific news item emailed out to me, I have never entered a regional forum other than Pattaya and occasionally Bangkok because those are the only forums with information relevant to me.

I have zero interest in clicking on other regional forums yet people who hate Pattaya click on it, read it and leave comments.

Strange.

I agree, this is a very strange type of behaviour we encounter. Unless there was a specific news item emailed out to me, I have never entered a regional forum other than Pattaya and occasionally Bangkok because those are the only forums with information relevant to me.

I have zero interest in clicking on other regional forums yet people who hate Pattaya click on it, read it and leave comments.

Strange.

True, these people must not have a life. Who has the time to go to other forums that do not relate to you.

For a short time or intermediate time fun vacation with lovely women, YES. A fine mix of international food plus Thai food. I love the choice of German food. Sushi is OK. Thai food is good. Daily foot or oil massage is pretty fantastic. Right in the hotel room or walk down the street, have a beer, relax. Swim in the pool. even taking a baht bus over to Jomtien for a swim. 5 minutes? No. But sure beats traffic to the beaches in most Western cities. I love not having to drive. I drive across the USA regularly about once a year when I head to a new engineering contract. That I like. But driving in local traffic, and commuting day to day, "forgedaboudit".

• Like 1

For a short time or intermediate time fun vacation with lovely women, YES. A fine mix of international food plus Thai food. I love the choice of German food. Sushi is OK. Thai food is good. Daily foot or oil massage is pretty fantastic. Right in the hotel room or walk down the street, have a beer, relax. Swim in the pool. even taking a baht bus over to Jomtien for a swim. 5 minutes? No. But sure beats traffic to the beaches in most Western cities. I love not having to drive. I drive across the USA regularly about once a year when I head to a new engineering contract. That I like. But driving in local traffic, and commuting day to day, "forgedaboudit".

I just cleared my sked for this weekend. agree with all....but the German food part clinched my trip!

You aint travelled much then coz LAS Vegas is way better than pattaya.. Everything pattaya has vegas has and more

Las Vegas is the biggest ripoff in the planet. Poker is better in the Los Angeles area. NIght activities in Vegas are incredibly overpriced. I wil take Thai women and general Thai country over Vegas any day

• Like 2

The last night of my first trip to Pattaya, back in Sept 2004. Staying at the Flipper. After sleeping in, getting laundry back, swimming in the pool, taking a nap, etc. finally walked out the hotel door to see what to do around 8 PM. Didn't want to do too much. Had a great two weeks. Had a long flight back to the USA the next morning. Didn't want a late late night. Walked across the street to some bar that was having the "Free" pig roast. Pig cooking on the coals. Rice, and fruits and stuff. Stopped in sat down. bought the nice lady a drink. Her english was good. A nice person, but I was not interested in going out on the town with her. Then what I thought was a really attractive woman walked in. She spoke english well. Had lived in Los Angeles, Califorina, had worked in a Thai restaurant. Bought her a drink. After a while I asked if she wanted to go out for the night she said sure. Then she said I should also bring the girl host I was first talking with. I said, thank you but no. Just one date tonight thanks. I said I was a bit tired. She said: " no problem... You lay down, we do for you". Siiiiigh. Convenient? Good food good drink and good company 10 yards from my hotel.

I did just take the one girl out and I did tip the first girl for her hospitality. That was a good holiday.

but quite inconvenient to many wallets.

I have been working in Singapore for the last year and there are definitely some things to like about the place but I certainly would never want to live here if I wasnt making a bucket load of money. There is real hard edge to Singapore that becomes very old very quickly. Yes things get done here quickly and efficiently but there is a price to pay for that and Singapore is full of stressed out people trying to keep ahead of the 'Joneses'.

• Like 1

but quite inconvenient to many wallets.

I have been working in Singapore for the last year and there are definitely some things to like about the place but I certainly would never want to live here if I wasnt making a bucket load of money. There is real hard edge to Singapore that becomes very old very quickly. Yes things get done here quickly and efficiently but there is a price to pay for that and Singapore is full of stressed out people trying to keep ahead of the 'Joneses'.

One of the things that turns me off to Pattaya-Jomtien is the very large and growing number of "stressed out people trying to keep ahead of the Joneses." And there is a "hard edge" that used to be interesting, but now has gotten "very old" as the "edge" has turned ugly and violent. But, as far as Thai cities go, the area does have a lot of Western conveniences....just getting more and more inconvenient to reach them because of people pollution and a development plan that has failed to deliver a higher quality of life for the majority.

Food, sex, and booze is all within earshot here. It's why I love Pattaya so much.

Thailand is my favorite country in the world and Pattaya is my favorite city in Thailand. I've lived here for years and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. As you can see I really love this place.

+1
  • Like 1