Moving To Chiang Mai Soon And I'M Open For Any Tips

Jelopi

Jelopi, you might find this interesting to watch. A farang couple who have newly arrived in Chiang Mai.

Havent watched all the episodes, but seems quite interesting so far. smile.png

Yes actually I watched a few episodes! It's not too too informative but they use some great camera effects and it's quite artsy. Their dog is so cute!!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad Eek! laugh.png (Kidding; sorry for being involved in starting the diversion.. And you cast a wide net there.. wink.png )

Anyway I agree we need to get back on topic, so lets wait for some more questions or comments from Jelopi.

And I actually have a question for her: How did they hear about Chiang Mai, and make the decision to go live there for an extended period? And what came first, the wish to go live abroad, followed by a search for (a) suitable place(s), or did you learn about Chiang Mai (Or Thailand) specifically, and then develop the plan to come live here for a while?

Reason I ask is that we see Chiang Mai pop up in all kinds of lists of 'best cities', or 'places to retire', or 'retire on $<infintely_small_amount' and so on. Would like to see if people may see that and start packing their suitcases.

Thank goodness haha, anyways yes we kind of just researched it a bunch. We have had plans of moving to Australia before and Italy, but when we though about it, Australia was much too similar to Canada. Italy is much too expensive for us at the moment. So I was on Facebook one day and my friend had posted pictures of him in Bangkok. That got me thinking, why not Thailand? I researched all the statistics in terms of crime and different blogs and forums about Thailand. I wanted to live somewhere somewhat safe to start out, the majority of what I've found said that Chiang Mai was a great place so we decided on that.

The place we are currently staying is very beautiful, we live downtown Victoria in Canada right by the ocean, it was fun the year we were here but we are wanting to start our travels. It is costly to stay in our loft ($920 CAD) per month along with over $1000 dollars in bills and school payments the both of us combined. We were wanting to stay in Victoria for another year and just find a cheaper place but the cost of living here is SOOOO expensive. In statistics it is one of the most expensive places to live in Canada in comparison to how much people make here. So we thought, why don't we just move once our lease it up and spend a month with each of our families then leave for Thailand?

If we get everything sorted out in time that is. My partner is quite busy so a lot of it is up to me, but if we can't leave at the expected time we want to leave our families are alright with housing us till everything goes through it's course.

On that note, if people are still reading this I have another question:

I've looked into becoming a non-resident of Canada and was wondering if anyone else in Chiang Mai has done the same. If so, what exactly does that mean for taxes. Do we have to apply to be a resident of Thailand and pay income tax there?

• Like 1

- Mattresses that are only a couple inches thick and made of foam

- Internet, TV and electricity that cuts off

- Constantly swatting at, or keeping an eletric racket nearby, for mosquitos

- Food packages that don't open correctly and rip when you try, then don't seal

- Thin cushions on furniture and chairs, so you have to buy an extra cushion for decent padding

- Luxuries you may be used to like, razor blades or after shave at higher then western prices

- Coffee at over 10 $US a pound

- Sitting on hard seats to get that cheap train ticket

1) Not had any mattress problem in guest-house or home.

2) Internet, best ever, power cut once a month for about an hour. I have a cheap UPS to solve that.

3) Mosquitoes don't bite after a while, or I have become immune to the poison.

4) I avoid packaged food.

5) We sit on the floor.

6) Not noticed they are any more expensive.

7) Coffee is cheap and plentiful, lots of the beans are organic and grown in the nearby mountains (Doi Suthep and Doi Saket)

8) I don't like the train, coach or fly.

Like I said, I think it's great here, but I guess some can find fault with anything.

I don't know about sitting on the floor? That sounds pretty uncomfortable.blink.png Just make sure you don't buy a mattress that costs less than 20K THB as it will most certainly be junk, uncomfortable and it won't last. We bought a Lotus brand for a guest room that was about 12K THB. It only lasted about 2 years before the mattress collapsed around the edges and now is a worthless piece of junk.

Maybe I'll steer clear of buying any mattresses haha. I think all of those things will be adaptable. I think my biggest concern is just figuring out how all the legal stuff and taxes work, learning the language and most of all the heat. I am white a milk, and used to cold winters but I think it is something that I'll get used to. I might be able to get a tan! Uncomfortable seats are fine but I need a good bed, otherwise the floor is fine. I really hope the internet holds out wherever we are at.

@Jelopi

Back on topic, you asked, "6. How much would it cost for classes to learn the Thai language?"

I highly recommend the Thai language program at Payap University. (http://ic.payap.ac.t.../thai/about.php) It is not the cheapest option but it will give you the tools you need to learn to read, write, and speak Thai in a relatively short time. Even I, who was less studious that my fellow students, was able to learn the tones, basic reading and writing, and a good working vocabulary. I assume you two are more studious than I. LOL

It is an intensive program: 3 hours a day/5 days a week. Definitely not recommended for those that just want an Ed Visa to allow them to stay in the country.

As the others have said, welcome to Chiang Mai. It is a wonderful place with nice people, good food, and lots to do.

David

Thank you very much, I'll be sure to bookmark that site. Is there part-time courses for it? Also another question, what is needed to attend a school like that? For example do I need to have a specific type of visa or work permit?

Language school,

if you get a condo in Santhitham area, YMCA is at the end of the road, 2000bht for a 5 week course, mon, wed, fri for 2 hours each day.

Not a torture test like Payap or AUA.

Thats also something to consider. Perhaps that'd be better for my partner, he works very long days often and couldn't do the daily courses.

Thank you.

Hahah! I'm sorry that is totally ridiculous! You really think after thousands of years of evolution, that there aren't SOME men that have developed bigger brains than that?

The small head often overrules the big one when it comes to sex. wub.png

Edited by Ulysses G.

"4. Is there any tips in terms of etiquette as far as interacting with the locals? What should and shouldn't you do in your experiences?"

You should expect that some local Thai women will attempt to "steal" your boyfriend from you. Probably many. How you handle it is up to you. If this happens, do not take the law into your own hands. You may have to ignore the "politeness" recommendations in the guidebooks and make it clear that he is yours.

My guess is this will be your number one issue.

Wow really that is so weird 0_0

What kind of things do they try to do? I could see that bugging me but he is an incredibly faithful person, I'm not too sure how I'd react in a situation like that. Maybe I'll just permanently hang off his arm to let them know he's taken? That's just...so strange.

Well, the others have pretty much summed it up. My guess is unless your boyfriend has a deep religious conviction against infidelity (as opposed to just a social one) or simply finds Asian women unattractive, he will not be able to resist the temptation.

And, the reverse is not true. Young attractive farang women are all over Chiang Mai, and are not highly sought after by either Thai or farang men. So you will probably not get much attention from the opposite sex, other than your boyfriend.

I'm not saying your stay here can't work out, but as others have stated, Thai women will go after you boyfriend.

Hahah! I'm sorry that is totally ridiculous! You really think after thousands of years of evolution, that there aren't SOME men that have developed bigger brains than that? My guy is not religious and as far as I know doesn't find asians unattractive, but I know for a fact that he would never cheat let alone flirt or even wink at someone while with me, just like I wouldn't. He's not desperate. I don't know what kind of relationships everyone else is having, what is the point of even being in a relationship without trust, thats just drama that is unnecessary in life.

I really could care less if I get hit on or not while I am there, that is not why I am moving there, unlike the thousands of men that tend to flock there for that very reason. We are going for the culture and a change, we aren't going to party, he rarely ever drinks and I only go out with girls so I see no problems at all. The fact people are saying to watch my man is kind of insulting to my own judgement honestly. If I was with a guy who left me like that then good riddance, that is not someone I would want to be involved with. Anyways I am not concerned with him at all.

He heh. This is going to be good. Please remember my post and your response for the future.

Hahah! I'm sorry that is totally ridiculous! You really think after thousands of years of evolution, that there aren't SOME men that have developed bigger brains than that?

The small head often overrules the big one when it comes to sex. wub.png

Not in this case.

Points taken, non the less we are trying to get everything figured and sorted out before we come. We don't mind if we get broke and have to come back, at least we tried. I've heard various things about health insurance, is that something you would get in Thailand or does it mean just having it set up from your home country or both?

You could buy International travel insurance from a company like IMG Global which would be very good coverage or you could buy health insurance here from Thai Health or one of the large insurance companies. It would be best to start with something like IMG because then your trip would also be covered in case something went wrong along the way here.

That's funny, because evolution favors the promiscuous. And spreading genes far and wide across the globe is something Evolution is a total sucker for. ;) Anyway I'm just teasing; no doubt many men are 100% monogamous. Heck, I know like four or five of them in Thailand.

Points taken, non the less we are trying to get everything figured and sorted out before we come. We don't mind if we get broke and have to come back, at least we tried. I've heard various things about health insurance, is that something you would get in Thailand or does it mean just having it set up from your home country or both?

You could do both. I think this forum also sells insurance, have a look in the links near the top. That should give you a good idea of cost in Thailand, versus getting extended travel insurance. (Which gets expensive / more difficult for longer periods of time.)

@Jelopi

Back on topic, you asked, "6. How much would it cost for classes to learn the Thai language?"

I highly recommend the Thai language program at Payap University. (http://ic.payap.ac.t.../thai/about.php) It is not the cheapest option but it will give you the tools you need to learn to read, write, and speak Thai in a relatively short time. Even I, who was less studious that my fellow students, was able to learn the tones, basic reading and writing, and a good working vocabulary. I assume you two are more studious than I. LOL

It is an intensive program: 3 hours a day/5 days a week. Definitely not recommended for those that just want an Ed Visa to allow them to stay in the country.

As the others have said, welcome to Chiang Mai. It is a wonderful place with nice people, good food, and lots to do.

David

Thank you very much, I'll be sure to bookmark that site. Is there part-time courses for it? Also another question, what is needed to attend a school like that? For example do I need to have a specific type of visa or work permit?

@Jelopi

I'm not sure what you mean by part time. The courses run in 60 hour segments consisting of 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. So they are roughly a month each. There is no requirement that you take the classes one after the other without a break, however, if you decide to take a class (e.g. Level 1) and not take the next class at the next available time (e.g. Level 2), it would be 2 months before Level 2 would be offered again. I would highly recommend doing Levels 1 and 2 before pausing and even Level 3 if you can. The first two levels are primarily pronunciation (learning the tones), vocabulary, listening, and speaking. The third level is basic reading and writing. If you do those three and apply yourself, you will have a great start to Thai that is useful in day-to-day life and is a good basis for learning more. I still remember the first day I was riding home from Level 3 (writing) and was able to read a street sight. :)

You will also make an interesting assortment of friends in class. When I took level 1 and 2, there were 3 Americans, 2 French guys, a woman from Poland, one from Burma, and one from Korea.

No specific visa or work permit is required.

David

True, but people who study Thai (or study anything, really) can use this to apply for a non-immigrant visa. Some schools use this as an additional service they offer, and will take care of the visa application process, and may get you a longer stay (or more extendable stay) than on a normal tourist or non-immigrant visa. This is worth looking into for younger people who aren't married to a Thai person, and aren't employed by a Thai company. (like Jelopi and her partner)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

True, but people who study Thai (or study anything, really) can use this to apply for a non-immigrant visa. Some schools use this as an additional service they offer, and will take care of the visa application process, and may get you a longer stay (or more extendable stay) than on a normal tourist or non-immigrant visa. This is worth looking into for younger people who aren't married to a Thai person, and aren't employed by a Thai company. (like Jelopi and her partner)

@WTK

Correct. Ed visas are available at Payap but not required for the classes.

David

There's no need. I'm not dating a moron.

Your just being rude, insisting that peoples relationships are going to fail whom you don't know.

I asked for advice on moving to Chiang Mai not a negative speech about how my boyfriend is going to leave me.

• Like 2

@WTK

Correct. Ed visas are available at Payap but not required for the classes.

David

I"d like to probably go the Ed Visa route. Just because I might take a few courses and unfortunately is also probably the only way I could stay for a long period.

There's no need. I'm not dating a moron.

Your just being rude, insisting that peoples relationships are going to fail whom you don't know.

I asked for advice on moving to Chiang Mai not a negative speech about how my boyfriend is going to leave me.

Well said. Further 'rude' posts will be removed. This is the second time I have had to step into this topic.

• 1 month later...

I could argue that Thailand is not really cheaper at all for many unless you cut lifestyle, but it depends on what you are used to. You do get to live in an exciting new place though, and that is something. smile.png

I think many of the people who move here end up running out of money because they start upgrading, and do not realize that it can cost the same as where they are moving from if they do this. Couple this with the impression that you can spend whatever you like because it's cheaper and it's easy to let your guard down.

I still think it's cheaper in Thailand, although I am not from US or Canada.

On accommodation alone I save about $350 US per month, and my apartment is better then what I had back home.

Other cheap staff include taxis, cleaning service, massage, practically anything that includes people giving you service.

I agree that if you want western food, you pay roughly the same, maybe more.

Also new cars and electrical appliances are similar price, and used cars are more expensive.

The Op you may want to rent a palce for 1 month before commiting for long term as there are always suprises that can come up and if you are locled into a 6 month or 1 year contract. I would recommend Smith Residence for a month or so while yopu learn your way around the city and get to know it. Smith is on the southside of the moat off Chiang mai gate. The staff are very good Dr. Smith the owner is very helpful and the place is clean. You can rent for a month at a time.

• 3 weeks later...

I strongly recommend you learn some basic Thai, both speaking, reading and writing when you are here - even try the basics before you come. It is not essential to know any Thai Language, but if you would like to integrate with the Thai people more comfortably its good to know some Thai.

It will also make you life more enjoyable and open up more opportunities to you. Even in a restaurant or on a small street stall, you will then be able to read and understand the signs and what they are selling! Its also fun to learn a new language.

You don't have to do full time study, you can get a private teacher or use the internet language services. I prefer to go to an actual language school, of which there a many good ones in Chiang Mai. You can also get an ED visa with the more recognised school. If you did not want to study so many hours you can choose how many hours and what you want to learn. I go to Pro Language School, and I get my ED visa off them, but I don't just do it to get a visa - I really am putting in a lot of effort to learn Thai, and finding it very interesting and good fun.

Welcome the Chiang Mai!

for a start, i would suggest renting around the old city. there are afew apartments that have some issues and problem with the tenant, can't mentioned names due to obvious reasons but you could search in this forum and take note of those apartments. once you have your own vehicle you can always move out to areas further away from the city if you prefer a quieter place

i would assume you are working online. get a UPS and a usb dongle 3g internet as a backup. black outs happen quite often here

if your a young couple,i feel you will be bored out of your mind in about 3 weeks staying in cnx,or less you have plenty money,and can afford trips to other parts of los, or asia learning thai is not that much of a advantage here, half the people you speak too dont understand you no matter how fluent you are,there is that many dialects here,but once you have it in your mind,give it a go but dont burn any of your bridges behind you,good luck.

if your a young couple,i feel you will be bored out of your mind in about 3 weeks staying in cnx,or less you have plenty money,and can afford trips to other parts of los, or asia learning thai is not that much of a advantage here, half the people you speak too dont understand you no matter how fluent you are,there is that many dialects here,but once you have it in your mind,give it a go but dont burn any of your bridges behind you,good luck.

stay a month or two before signing a lease. been here about 8 months and am itching for bkk next near, or a more lively beach area. i'm used to living secluded, but not much to do here after the first month or two. you end up wanting to keep taking side trips out.

if your in a small or cheap place, under 15k, i suspect the feeling would be much worse, since you will want to spend a lot of time outside and will get bored hanging out at the same places (where you will need to purchase food or drinks to hang out, by the way).

Edited by jacktrip
  • Like 1

Nonsense. Chiang Mai is filled with things to do and it doesn't have to be propping up a bar stool.

i agree,propping up a bar stool,is propaly one of the few things to do here,i mean even the main shopping areas,for the ladies are closed at eight o clock,

I guess some people seem to lead pretty sedentary lives.

was in warm up,till nearly 2.30 this morning,then went to a private party till 5ish,sedentry enough,555+

Guess thats exactly the point, which sort of makes me confused about your point..to be honest. Meaning there is actually quite a few different things people can do in Chiang Mai, depending on what kind of things they enjoy. Clubbing isnt personally my thing at all. Smokey bars and being up till 5am i find a bit boring, but maybe thats because im no longer in my 20's. None the less, i am never bored..and i have a very active life, and i loathe shopping..