Thai Language Course

Carry

Although I've been living in Thailand for several years, my Thai language skills are still not that great, I get most of the conversations between Thais and I knwo many words but still don't speak it anywhere near fluent!

Part of it is that my partner always spoke english very well and so did our staff and no place to go and learn in class...

See many adds about different courses, anyone a recommendation?

Appreciated.

Walen seems to be the biggest, and the instructors I have seen seem pretty good. They have several schools around Thailand. Where are you located? I have taken classes myself at a couple schools, and taught English at a couple schools. PM me if you want more details and I will be happy to help.

Edited by NomadJoe

I dont want to get a TEFL I want to improve my Thai language skills, located on Koh Chang....

Sounds like you speak a little Thai and are seeking to improve it. I have not to much knowledge of the Language but here in Chiang Mai have taken lessons twice.

I find that when I want to get a word rite I ask the wife to say it slow and I watch her lips and tongue. Plus hope I can remember the word.

Forgot to mention one time was in a class setting and the other time was with a private teacher.

The private teacher worked real well for me.The school scene put me in a class with people who had lived here a year and some had taken the same course before. I was two weeks behind on the first day in School.

Edited by hellodolly

Ok, but anyone knows of books and/or dvd/cd thats for sale and good?

How about that Learn thai quickly thats promoted here on Thaivisa, any good?

That sounds like Walen. They advertise pretty heavily on here. Mac Walen is nuts about social media. They use the Callan Method from the UK versus writing their own books which a lot of language schools do here. They often refer to it as the "Direct Method" in adverts which they say students learn 2/3 faster. It emphasizes repetition as well as question and answer. Walen is one of the schools at which I have taken Thai lessons and taught English

That sounds like Walen. They advertise pretty heavily on here. Mac Walen is nuts about social media. They use the Callan Method from the UK versus writing their own books which a lot of language schools do here. They often refer to it as the "Direct Method" in adverts which they say students learn 2/3 faster. It emphasizes repetition as well as question and answer. Walen is one of the schools at which I have taken Thai lessons and taught English

Joe,

Sorry, I am having difficulty with the English. What does this mean: "They often refer to it as the "Direct Method" in adverts which they say students learn 2/3 faster.?

Does this mean, a) "two to three times faster"; "two-thirds as fast" (i.e., one-third slower); c) "two-thirds faster" (i.e., 66% faster); or, d) something else?

Edited by DavidHouston

For professional, independent advise I suggest look at website "womenlearnthai" - You will find Todd Daniels valuable reports on many Schools on the website. Todd will also reply to you personally with any specific questions you may have

Learn to recognize the difference between Language Schools and Ed Visa Mills.

Edited by Parvis

Get a private tutor but make sure they can't speak English.

I've heard so many English teachers talk about not speaking Thai in the classroom, then when they want to learn Thai they want an English-speaking Thai teacher.

Edited by Johnniey

Joe,

Sorry, I am having difficulty with the English. What does this mean: "They often refer to it as the "Direct Method" in adverts which they say students learn 2/3 faster.?

Does this mean, a) "two to three times faster"; "two-thirds as fast" (i.e., one-third slower); c) "two-thirds faster" (i.e., 66% faster); or, d) something else?

I think the difficulty is mine. I should have said 1/3 (one third) the time. Which actually I had wrong, it's 1/4 (one quarter) of the time. http://www.callan.co.uk/ On Walen's site they are calling it he Walen method for Thai language students. http://www.thaiwalen.../the_method.php

Edited by NomadJoe

For professional, independent advise I suggest look at website "womenlearnthai" - You will find Todd Daniels valuable reports on many Schools on the website. Todd will also reply to you personally with any specific questions you may have

Learn to recognize the difference between Language Schools and Ed Visa Mills.

Yes, I know Tod personally, and he's a great help and a great guy. First name spelt with one D.

Where are you based? I am in Chiang Mai and have attended several different language schools over the years.

The biggest schools are all very good, but they do differ in their teaching styles. I recommend you go and try several schools to see what style suits you. I myself prefer to learn in a small group, but other people like private lessons. When you check out the schools be sure to look at the course books they have and also ask other students if they are happy. Some good schools I know are

Pro Language - this is the one I am at and find it the best for me!

Wallen School

AUA

All these schools should give you a free trial lesson too. I mentioned this school in particular as I know the teachers are all properly qualified and they have a good reputation.

Get a private tutor but make sure they can't speak English.

I've heard so many English teachers talk about not speaking Thai in the classroom, then when they want to learn Thai they want an English-speaking Thai teacher.

As an English teacher apart from maybe a few commands, I can say there is no need for Farang teachers to speak Thai in the class room. these kids are learning to read, write and speak English since they were five years old with Thai teachers in Prathom and right up into Mattayom classes and also in some cases, Farang teachers, some are interested and learn well, some are not. But in a Thai language school, Thai teachers should use English as they teach because unlike young school children, students learning Thai are doing it over a much shorter time, perhaps after two or three months learning to speak Thai, some of them go on to learn to write and read Thai. After about three months, there are still a long way of speaking Thai fluently. So I believe Thai teachers teaching Thai should also be using English to explain things to students in a Thai language school.

Young children in Thai schools are learning bits of conversation and vocabulary a short bit at a time over in most cases about 12 years. In a Thai language school adults are learning to speak, write and read Thai only over a few months.