Can I Fly To Thailand With Out A Visa?

About 8 years ago I tried to fly to Thailand with oneway tickets. At the ticket counter the airline in the USA asked to see my visa. They said I could not go to Thailand unless I had a visa because if Thailand did not accept me the airline would have to pay for my flight back, plus fees. I was able to provide them a letter showing I had been accepted to study in Thailand. They let me on the plane.

Every other time I have flown into Thailand since I have had multiple entry one year visas. This time however I have a 2 month tourist visa that will end on the 20th of Aug.

A family member has died in the USA and I need to go back. I plan to return to my Thai wife in Thailand after the 20th of Aug but before the end of September. I have no problem with getting the 30 days at the airport and dealing with the Thai visa once I get back here, what really worries me is will the airline in the USA let me on the plane?

Does anyone have an experience like this? Should I be worried at all?

Thank you.

Without a visa you must have a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival. If not, the airline can deny you boarding. So depending on yur travel plans a new tourist visa might be advisable.

Interesting.

How can I get a new tourist visa before I leave Thailand? I will need my passport when in the USA as it is my only valid USA ID and I will be taking about 6 internal American flights to visit family.

If I can not get a visa should I just buy a plane ticket to Cambodia or something on AirAsia? Will they accept the printed out voucher as a ticket?

Also what are my odds of them not letting me on the plane? I've never had anyone run into this issue in real life.

Thanks.

The airasia ticket will be okay.

Why not apply for a visa whilst you are in America, should not take long to get one, even by post.

I was stopped at Frankfurt once, it took a few phone calls and all was okay.

Can you not obtain a visa in any of the cities you visit? Should only take a day or less and there are a number of Consulates and honorary Consulates in the US? Also you could obtain a non immigrant O visa if married to a Thai and 90 day say or a multi entry for a year of up to 90 day stays. Even getting visa by mail should be an option with your extended period of time in the US. Takes less than a week from honorary Consulates. Take marriage certificate and have copy of wife ID card and home register (although may not be required).

Regarding airlines checking for visa or onward tickets....

I recently returned from the US via United. I self-checked-in, scanning my passport at the podium. Reservation was found, I confirmed itinerary, indicated number of bags I'd be checking -- then I got a flag to summon an agent. Agent arrived and (I can't remember all the details) he asked for me to input date of my exit ticket from Thailand. I told him I didn't have one, and he said just punch in any date (I punched in a date 100 days hence). Voila. Tickets printed.

Now, I believe I told him I had a visa (but maybe not). Certainly, especially for countries requiring a visa, the summoned agent (who has to scan his badge) should have the option to punch-in "reviewed visa" or whatever. But for Thailand, telling the machine you have an onward ticket (regardless of date, apparently) is good enough to move on. And, obviously, some agents would want to look at said ticket. Mine didn't even care that I didn't have one....

Anyway, such was the experience of late with United (now using Continental software and procedures). But, I wouldn't count on getting an agent as unconcerned as mine was.

Anyone else have recent self-check-in experience with United (or Delta) heading for Thailand?

Can you not obtain a visa in any of the cities you visit? Should only take a day or less and there are a number of Consulates and honorary Consulates in the US? Also you could obtain a non immigrant O visa if married to a Thai and 90 day say or a multi entry for a year of up to 90 day stays. Even getting visa by mail should be an option with your extended period of time in the US. Takes less than a week from honorary Consulates. Take marriage certificate and have copy of wife ID card and home register (although may not be required).

Problem with trying to get the visas in the USA is that I will be getting on an airplane on average 2 times a week. 5 days with out the passport might be okay. But 2 weeeks there is no way. I have been here so long I have no other valid form of US ID to get on a plane.

Is there anything I can do in the next few days in Thailand?

Thanks.

Get a 60 day extensuion of stay from immirgation, based on having a Thai wife (if she is living in Thailand). That will give you another 60 days. Then when you leave Thailand get a re-entry permit, that would allow you to return if your return date is within those 60 days granted by immigration in Thailand.

• Like 1