Changing Thai Baht In Oz Or Here?

Australian banks are filthy thieving operations. If you try to buy/sell Thai baht over there, after all your pounds of flesh have been extracted, you can expect to lose about 5% compared to the true exchange rate.

The best thing to do is an International Money Transfer (IMT), in Austr dollars, to a bank account over here. Costs $22 (CommBank) for up to $AUD10k. Well you probably don't have a bank acct over here, but if you have reliable friends easy-peasy.

And there are plenty of ATMs at the international airports which accept Visa/Cirus etc. - but you will receive a slightly lower exchange rate, and pay a 150B 'convenience fee' to the ATM. Max you can withdraw is generally 20kB. AA

Buy it when you get here. The exchange rate in Australia is very poor. When you get to the airport in Thailand just change enough currency to see you through until you can exchange at a bank or money changer. Do not excahange at your hotel they have a very poor exchange rate.

My Lady is bringing back a grand into Australia from Thailand and exchanged it in Thailand.

MBK Shopping Centre just kept going around the booths until she found a rate she liked and someone who actually had the currency.

If you were going to exchange a reasonable sum, maybe do it later in the day as by then a few more fellow travellers will have deposited their Aussie Dollars.

Also NEVER the BTS stations nor the ground floor banks (at MBK)

On Sunday she got 31.75 Baht to the Dollar, but the Aussie has risen a few ticks since then because the Reserve Bank Statement was released and most likely no imminent interest rate cuts ... so a slightly higher Aussie

So about 32.75 or 33.00 would be an acceptable rate for Thai back into the Aussie.

Hope that helps.

Put your ozzie cash money in your sock, enough in your pocket to exchange at the airport to get you by until you need more, then go to the bank and exchange.

You really didn't read the Opening Post, did you?

The member SammieT has Thai Baht and is travelling to Australia.

Thanks guys interestingly enough I went to two banks today and neither had stock of Oz dollars.

Both said they cant order them either so Im not sure what to do..

My Thai gf in Bangkok just did 30,000 Baht exchanged into Aussie dollars on the weekend ... did you not like the method used?

If your in Bangkok check this web address.

www.superrichthailand.com (Green shop) phone (66) 02 254 4444

There is a map and directions (World trade center near the canal)

Best rates in BKK, very crowded need copy of I.D. Now 14.30 19-07-12 AUD/THB 32.80 THB/AUD 32.90

There is another exchange place on the right opposite Subway/Coffee World at enterence to Soi 7/1 Sukhumvit

VASU Money exchange 02253 1706, rate slightly lower than Super Rich

Hope this helps.......aussiep

There is another exchange place on the right opposite Subway/Coffee World at enterence to Soi 7/1 Sukhumvit

I use this one you mentioned always as my first choice.

Do you know if they do the reverse exchange because I have only ever seen them 'selling' Thai Baht, never buying Thai Baht. Not saying they don't .. just never seen it.

My Lassie used the MBK way because she is there and I am here.

Her timing was lucky because she did pick up a good rate ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1