3 Options For 1 Year Stay, Each With Problems

Hey guys,

My girlfriend (22) and I (24) are looking to move back to Thailand for at least a year after spending 8 months in the country last year. We're both British.

I've been researching through the forums and I'd just like to get your feedback on which of the following solutions would be best suited to our needs.

1. ED visa - This was our original intention. We both want to learn Thai, and until recently it seemed like the easiest way to secure a year long visa. Our problem is that we both have occasional work commitments back in Europe and America. We'd also like to be able to leave the country in the event of an emergency as I have an unwell grandfather. From what I gather, the Multi-Entry ED visa is no longer available in Hull - only a single entry. Would we be able to leave the country on a single entry visa by way of getting permission first? Or is it what it says on the tin... one entry then you're done?

2. Triple entry Tourist visa - From what I understand, Hull still offers a triple entry Tourist visa extendable up to a maximum of 270 days? Does anybody know whether it's possible to get back-to-back Triple Entry visas if I returned to the UK to process it at the end of the first visa? I suppose more importantly... is it likely to be rejected? I got stiffed last time I left Thailand for over £3000 from the deposit of the property I was renting (they wouldn't let us end the contract before the 12 months) I'd like to make it to at least a year!

3. Regular 30 day visas on arrival - We would be happy to leave the country every month via air. Is it realistically possible to stay in Thailand indefinitely simply by flying in and out every 30 days? If this is the case, it may be our easiest option.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a triple entry Tourist Visa, followed by flights out of the country every 30 days to make up the year - if that is plausible.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can make sense of the above and lend me some good advice!

Go the ED Visa route. You can get a single entry ED visa and apply for a multi re-entry permit at the local immigration office afaik.

You can also do the 30 day thing. I did this for about 14 months ( 2009 - 2010) including the occasional overstay of a few days. No problems.

How did you end up losing 3k? Did you prepay 12 month's of rent in advance? Where did you rent? (apartment/condo name)

Edited by WebBKK123

For 12 months or longer, you can start with a triple-entry tourist visa from the UK, then go to Vientiane or Savannakhet for a double-entry tourist visa. With the tourist visa, you are free to study Thai and won't have to sign up with the school for one whole year and pay in advance as you probably would have to do with an ED visa.

A re-entry permit is only valid for the current permitted to stay - and for part time study that is 90 days - so a multi re-entry permit would likely not be a good investment and any extended absence would put the next extension of stay in doubt. But all three methods would work but number 3 seems less than desirable as at least some tourist visa entries would appear better than monthly flights being required.

Remember that the triple entry TR still only gives you 6 months (same a double), not 9 months.

The 6 months applies to the time frame in which you must make your entries. If you enter for the third time just before those 6 months end, you can get up to 9 months out of the triple entry.

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't actually aware that the triple entry had to be taken within 6 months - I thought it was just 3 back-to-back Tourist visas.

How did you end up losing 3k? Did you prepay 12 month's of rent in advance? Where did you rent? (apartment/condo name)

I signed a contract for 12 months and had to put down 2 month's rent deposit for 140,000 baht. About 8 months in to the contract I needed to leave the country to come back to England, tried to get the deposit back, and they were pretty adamant that it wasn't happening.

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get. I can understand that a contract is a contract. But paying 70,000 baht a month, you'd expect the facilities to be up to scratch. The sauna, pool room and gym were all busted for about half the time I stayed there! Crazy, but oh well, I won't be making that mistake next time.