Tablet Computer Distribution Kicks Off In Thailand

webfact

My cheap 2500B chinese Ipad 6 lol has charging auto cutoff and has worked very well for almost a year now, but I will admit the battery is the Achilles heel of it. I also find that with wifi on the battery really dies fast. The sad thing here is there is prob no one qualified to fix them when they die a premature death. The whole tablet program is a scam Im sorry to say for the kids.

Taking the cheapest - is not a good policy,you should learn this lesson from thai night life.

Next time you buy tablet,first you go to this website: www.amazon.com/electronics and www.amazon.co.uk

check what Chinese tablets they sell there,read reviews,remember prices and go to Panthip looking for same maker and similar models.

In US and UK they do not sell every rubish,they can not do it.You will see how much you will save and it will give you deep sense of satisfaction.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(quote)He added that the OBEC has been informed of some minor technical problems with some of the tablet PCs shipped to schools during the first 2 deliveries.

Despite this, he assured that all units have been working properly.(/quote)

'have been working', 'are working', 'might work'? If a tablet has 'minor technical issues' can it still be called to function? The fact that 'minor issues' are mentioned suggests a few failures. Insufficient data to judge though.

So, now the question: how many of the 190,000 tabletPCs received from China are actually in the hands of P1 kids?

Are you really interested?

Goh, your holiday might have been longer than I remember if it took you so long to ask this very interesting question.

Since you ask, are you interested and are you maybe able to provide an answer to my question ?

I wasn't on holiday rubl, I was banned. I thought you knew that, I recall you did mention it was well deserved, the holiday, that is............

First the on topic part. I was wondering how many tabletPCs got to the kids and asked. Now three weeks later I'm still wondering, even more so as the news on the OTOP project has been minimal.

So, anyone out there with an answer to my question, rather than trollish questions?

Edited by sbk
discussion of moderation
  • Like 2

Tablets in schools will be used in classrooms mostly,yes?during that time they can be powered from chargers.It is very obvious for anybody but complete technological nitwits.

Couple of months ago there were threads in TV Computer Section about tablets from China,full of interesting details and positive opinions.

Computer section is devoted to technology,you will not find there any poltics or politicos...

Unfortunately the nitwits forgot the budget for enough plug sockets in classrooms biggrin.pnglaugh.png

While still other nitwits are still waiting on electricity to their schools.

Plug socket in classroom?this is not a problem for the ministry!this problem for school janitor!

give janitor 100 baht and he will bring couple of power extension cords from village shop.

If you have problem finding extension cords in your village? - my village shop can supply you with any amount,PM me with your requirements!

Mr B. what do you think? - how many mobile phones are in use in Kingdom Of Thailand today?30 million?They are being charged everyday;

nobody have any problem with this.

I never said,that there are no nitwits in Thai school teaching staff;probably the same percentage as in their ministry - nepotism prevails.

First the on topic part. I was wondering how many tabletPCs got to the kids and asked. Now three weeks later I'm still wondering, even more so as the news on the OTOP project has been minimal.

So, anyone out there with an answer to my question, rather than trollish questions?

Well for the on topic part have you tried the TV search engine, I've heard it's very good? Rather than wait three weeks for info you're not getting on here I'd thought you try elsewhere, look in the government projects webpage or something if it's that important to you. Otherwise people could be led to believe you only wanted a "bad" statistic so could comment on the governments failure just like so many other posts on here.

Edited by sbk
discussion of moderation
  • Like 2

Any reply to the actual question that you were asked for your take on?

And yet in the 'other ' newspaper there have been reports that they are not 'fit for purpose'

What's your take on that?

I cannot comment fully , I haven't read the article. If the only not "fit for purpose" comment of note is yours telling the forum that the battery provided, compared with that of your iPad, is a lower capacity and therefore will last for less time well, frankly, that is a waste of space. The target group and price are miles apart.

So how do you solve the problem. Use them for 2 hours a day, or however long the battery lasts. The tablets are there to compliment the teaching (such as it is) not take over from it........................

Tablets in schools will be used in classrooms mostly,yes?during that time they can be powered from chargers.It is very obvious for anybody but complete technological nitwits.

Couple of months ago there were threads in TV Computer Section about tablets from China,full of interesting details and positive opinions.

Computer section is devoted to technology,you will not find there any poltics or politicos...

Unfortunately the nitwits forgot the budget for enough plug sockets in classrooms biggrin.pnglaugh.png

While still other nitwits are still waiting on electricity to their schools.

Plug socket in classroom?this is not a problem for the ministry!this problem for school janitor!

give janitor 100 baht and he will bring couple of power extension cords from village shop.

If you have problem finding extension cords in your village? - my village shop can supply you with any amount,PM me with your requirements!

Mr B. what do you think? - how many mobile phones are in use in Kingdom Of Thailand today?30 million?They are being charged everyday;

nobody have any problem with this.

I never said,that there are no nitwits in Thai school teaching staff;probably the same percentage as in their ministry - nepotism prevails.

And what is the rated power of said socket you are plugging the tablet into. Oh. And remember we are talking about P1 (6 years old) I wouldn't like my kid to be plugging instuff to a dodgy ext lead. Would you?

the point is do it properly or do something else.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

And what is the rated power of said socket you are plugging the tablet into. Oh. And remember we are talking about P1 (6 years old) I wouldn't like my kid to be plugging instuff to a dodgy ext lead. Would you?

sent from my Wellcom A90+

One would hope that all school's electrical systems are fitted with earth leakage circuit breakers. Alas, I fear most don't have earths, and quite a few don't even have electricity.

Well duh, ya think if I spend 7-10 times the amount of a cheap chinese tablet Im going to get one with a quality battery ? Whoo Hooo rocket scientists here. I bought mine just to read books. I have no use for a tablet as I have laptops, netbooks and dektops.. Any tablet whatever quality bought for P1 students is a total waste of money, as there are many much cheaper methods to teach that are much more effective. This program like every other in the thai education system is a farce. Hogs at the trough again.

From the MoE's policy statement, 25th of January 2012:

"Enhancement of Educational Opportunities

1. Opportunity to access resources, facilities, to get education

equitably Equity is not identified by location because most students

live in upcountry with poverty, the government therefore has projects

- One Tablet per Child Smart Thai children will take tablets to

schools. The tablets will be distributed to primary children year 1

with free Wi-Fi in public areas."

Article in the other paper this morning is reporting on problems with the tablet's battery life not measuring up to advertised specs.

Numerous students in the classroom are having to power down and share a tablet with another student when theirs runs down. A teacher explains they are unable to recharge all the tablets at the same time because the school doesn't have enough electrical outlets to do so and it takes 5 hours to full charge the tablets.

Another teacher noted the tablets can only run for a few hours before needing a full 5-hour recharging.

They knew this BEFORE they ordered.. the battery size which is 3,000 mah i believe is to small.. on the Samsung WIFI tab i have, the battery is 4,400mah and it lasts approx 6-7 hours with NORMAL usage ( internet, occasional youtube etc) the smaller battery on the Scope would last about 3-5 hours.

Thanks for that info. I was unaware what our iPad was and discovered it is 11,666 mAh.

Today's article referred to a teacher limiting their student's ScoPad's use to one hour of classroom time a day because of battery and charging issues.

I'm sure your iPad does have a much larger battery capacity. However this partly results in a much larger cost and is not really aimed at this market anyway. I hear that these tablets can be used for about 2 hours before needing recharging but have yet to see any real results as opposed to guestimates and anecdotes in the newspapers and elsewhere.

2 hours use a day would be OK in my opinion as these tablets are designed to be used as an aid to teaching not a replacement of the teacher. Much to some of the teachers disgust no doubt.

If you wish to modify this post as well buchholz, could you at least leave enough text so that people can understand the gist of it. Thank you.

From the Policy Statement of MoE Suchart, 25th of January, 2012:

"Enhancement of Educational Opportunities

1. Opportunity to access resources, facilities, to get education

equitably

1.2 - Learning Rooms will be built in many areas and teachers paid

by the government will teach primary students. Educational

software and e-books will be installed to replace normal books to

create e-learning and knowledge-based society

He also said his ministry anticipated passing on 860,000 tablets through to the Education Ministry by next month. Half that total have been received by the ICT Ministry and tested with the remaining 430,000 tablets expecting to be shipped to them by the end of this month.

What happened to the 18th August? Weren't they all supposed to be delivered by then?

He also said his ministry anticipated passing on 860,000 tablets through to the Education Ministry by next month. Half that total have been received by the ICT Ministry and tested with the remaining 430,000 tablets expecting to be shipped to them by the end of this month.

What happened to the 18th August? Weren't they all supposed to be delivered by then?

Similar to the Education Ministry and ICT Ministry themselves, I've lost track of what either has said with their ever-changing goal posts and with 40 or so tablet computer threads, can't be bothered with rechecking them all.

Edited by Buchholz

Most of us do not visit the Computer section and I am quite sure the new tabs are not a big item there yet. Wait until about a month after the kids have had them and then check the computer section.

Just out of curiosity do you run one while it is charging in a school with no electricity.

I bet that none of the politicians kids are in those schools. That means all politicians regardless of there party or color of their shirt.

Give it six months and see if the schools start to turn out smarter kids.

• Like 1

My Thai GF is 27 years old and I bought her her first ipad about 4 months ago, and now there is little/no conversation between us..just her on facebook and playing games 24 hours 7 days a week...if that is how a first tablet affects a developed mind, how the hell is it going to benefit P1 kids in a constructive way?? Sounds like more lazyness or small minded ideas on how to keep up with the western world... problem is most of us in the west have at least flunked out of school before we get such luxuries...

Most of us do not visit the Computer section and I am quite sure the new tabs are not a big item there yet. Wait until about a month after the kids have had them and then check the computer section.

Just out of curiosity do you run one while it is charging in a school with no electricity.

I bet that none of the politicians kids are in those schools. That means all politicians regardless of there party or color of their shirt.

In place without electricity you can not run electrical appliences - no tv,no electrical fan,no light,no computers,no air-con

what is your point?

Edited by borovik

Expert: Tablet PCs slow brain development in children

BANGKOK, 6 September 2012 (NNT) – An expert in children brain and development has revealed that tablet computers for first grade students can slow down their brain development.

Dr Chanpen Chooprapawan, an expert in children brain and development commented that tablets may create negative effects to the society. She said that by using tablets, children under 12 will not use their upper brain, as they are not learning from the real environment.

According to her, a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan shows three parts of human brain. The first part is for survival such as breathing. The second part makes human a social creature by loving their families and friends, and the third part is the upper brain, which builds creativity and imaginations. Dr Chanpen stated that by being in the virtual reality when using the tablet, the upper brain stops functioning, leading to a slowdown in brain growth.

The expert stated that children under 12 have to be exposed to as many different environments as possible so they can use all of their six senses. She pointed out that human cannot skip development, especially at young age. She implied that teenagers, who already have strong foundation with natural steps of brain development, can then choose to learn through tab0lets.

The government has launched the one tablet per child policy in the middle of this year as part of its populist policy.

The tablets are being distributed to schools in an alphabetical order of provincial names.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-09-06 footer_n.gif

In place without electricity you can not run electrical appliences - no tv,no electrical fan,no light,no computers,no air-con

what is your point?

More like what is your point. They promised them a pad in those places.

There is not one kid in Thailand who should receive a pad until all schools have the basics. Yes Electricity is a basic.

Even if they had electricity do you really think A first grade Thai student will be on Thai Visa going through the computer section.

Did you read the article posted by Buchholz about slowing down the brain development. How old were you when you started using a computer?

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

His point is your an arse with no real idea about Thai schools.

I have kids in public school:smalish NkhonNowhere town,3000 pupils,among Thai staff - half a dozen of foreign teachers,

comp.lab,school wi-fi network,town has fm station,asphalt streets,running water everywhere.I have been in plenty of places in Thailand and I have to admit with shame - I have not seen any place without electricity.

May be you live in that God forgotten backwater - Pattaya/SriRacha?

If you had a tablet in your hand - you would know,that it runs on 5(five)volts.Car runs on 12Volts.

You can stuck 5volts up your own arse - and you will feel nothing.

• Like 1

Article in the other paper this morning is reporting on problems with the tablet's battery life not measuring up to advertised specs.

Numerous students in the classroom are having to power down and share a tablet with another student when theirs runs down. A teacher explains they are unable to recharge all the tablets at the same time because the school doesn't have enough electrical outlets to do so and it takes 5 hours to full charge the tablets.

Another teacher noted the tablets can only run for a few hours before needing a full 5-hour recharging.

They knew this BEFORE they ordered.. the battery size which is 3,000 mah i believe is to small.. on the Samsung WIFI tab i have, the battery is 4,400mah and it lasts approx 6-7 hours with NORMAL usage ( internet, occasional youtube etc) the smaller battery on the Scope would last about 3-5 hours.

Thanks for that info. I was unaware what our iPad was and discovered it is 11,666 mAh.

Today's article referred to a teacher limiting their student's ScoPad's use to one hour of classroom time a day because of battery and charging issues.

I'm sure your iPad does have a much larger battery capacity. However this partly results in a much larger cost and is not really aimed at this market anyway. I hear that these tablets can be used for about 2 hours before needing recharging but have yet to see any real results as opposed to guestimates and anecdotes in the newspapers and elsewhere.

2 hours use a day would be OK in my opinion as these tablets are designed to be used as an aid to teaching not a replacement of the teacher. Much to some of the teachers disgust no doubt.

If you wish to modify this post as well buchholz, could you at least leave enough text so that people can understand the gist of it. Thank you.

As the tablets are a REPLACEMENT for textbooks (previously subsidised), what are they going to use to learn from for the rest of the day?

what is your point?

How will the 2000 schools without electricity manage these new tablets?

Electrification of Thailand is not the subject of this thread,we are talking about tablets batteries life span.

But...

In Black Africa they have this program - 100$laptop in every school.

Electricity in Africa is far away from most of the population,it is not a distance of 5mtrs power extension cord,rather 500km.

But they implement this program using:solar power,wind power,microhydro and diesel generators.

Some local studends came with brilliant idea -

they coupled bicycle with big dynamo and they charge laptop ...pedaling.

If you want - you can.

It is called "Can Do" attitude.

You can donate solar panels to you poor school next door.I can supply.PM me.

Edited by borovik

Expert: Tablet PCs slow brain development in children

BANGKOK, 6 September 2012 (NNT) – An expert in children brain and development has revealed that tablet computers for first grade students can slow down their brain development.

Dr Chanpen Chooprapawan, an expert in children brain and development commented that tablets may create negative effects to the society. She said that by using tablets, children under 12 will not use their upper brain, as they are not learning from the real environment.

According to her, a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan shows three parts of human brain. The first part is for survival such as breathing. The second part makes human a social creature by loving their families and friends, and the third part is the upper brain, which builds creativity and imaginations. Dr Chanpen stated that by being in the virtual reality when using the tablet, the upper brain stops functioning, leading to a slowdown in brain growth.

The expert stated that children under 12 have to be exposed to as many different environments as possible so they can use all of their six senses. She pointed out that human cannot skip development, especially at young age. She implied that teenagers, who already have strong foundation with natural steps of brain development, can then choose to learn through tab0lets.

The government has launched the one tablet per child policy in the middle of this year as part of its populist policy.

The tablets are being distributed to schools in an alphabetical order of provincial names.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-09-06 footer_n.gif

I would´nt worry about it, the tablets will soon be scrap. Or the batteries will stop recarge.

what is your point?

How will the 2000 schools without electricity manage these new tablets?

Electrification of Thailand is not the subject of this thread,we are talking about tablets batteries life span.

But...

In Black Africa they have this program - 100$laptop in every school.

Electricity in Africa is far away from most of the population,it is not a distance of 5mtrs power extension cord,rather 500km.

But they implement this program using:solar power,wind power,microhydro and diesel generators.

Some local studends came with brilliant idea -

they coupled bicycle with big dynamo and they charge laptop ...pedaling.

If you want - you can.

It is called "Can Do" attitude.

You can donate solar panels to you poor school next door.I can supply.PM me.

It's good that you have a can do attitude. I hope the Thai government also have that attitude. I think they need to do a bit more work on that though.

I have kids in public school:smalish NkhonNowhere town,3000 pupils,among Thai staff - half a dozen of foreign teachers,

comp.lab,school wi-fi network,town has fm station,asphalt streets,running water everywhere.I have been in plenty of places in Thailand and I have to admit with shame - I have not seen any place without electricity.

May be you live in that God forgotten backwater - Pattaya/SriRacha?

If you had a tablet in your hand - you would know,that it runs on 5(five)volts.Car runs on 12Volts.

You can stuck 5volts up your own arse - and you will feel nothing.

And the charger with a 2m cord is plugged into a 220V lead plugged into another lead...........until it gets back to a point which may or may not have an earth. And 220V will stop a kid's clock in about 3 cycles.

Do you think the 2000 schools without electricity is BS, and that it has nothing to do with education?

If you had a tablet in your hand while it was charging, it will get bloody hot. It will also overcharge. And there is the possibility that it may explode.

a couple of examples:

photo-790046b.jpg

Thai school with no electricity in Sangkhlaburi

http://abroadwithrob...angklaburi.html

Thailand_Hill_tribes_educat.jpg

Thai school with no electricity in Mae Sariang

http://www.bangkokst...on_Project.html

But upon further reading, the whole aspect is apparently moot.

The students in those schools that don't have the infrastructure already in place, eg. electricity, won't be receiving their tablet computer in the first place.

Schools without electricity or adequate facilities to support tablet use in classrooms (e.g., electrical outlets and televisions), or whose teachers are unable to make use of such technological tools, will not be eligible to receive the tablets

http://www.nationmul...e-30174293.html

The education of those students will just have to wait.

Edited by Buchholz