Dodgy Bits Of Cm To Avoid Renting In.

Mousehound

I have visited CM several times but look like moving there to try it out on a longer term basis. I can either rent a small house, share, or rent a condo. Can anyone help by letting me know if there are any really dodgy bits outside the main Muang that should be avoided.

Thanks

I don't think there is any bad place, maybe some are not so clean put the Thais are all ok thought. PM me if you need help to buy or rent a home, I own a real estate company in CM

• Like 1

I agree with Cmweb, there are not, in my experience, any places that could be considered dodgy. I have been here a little over a year and lived in three different areas. The best one, IMHO and for my purposes, is the area I live now, Chang Pueak (north-east of the moat). It is primarily a Thai neighbourhood with very few falang but some nice new buildings. It is friendly, not too many soi dogs, tons of good Thai restaurants/bars. Walking distance to practically everywhere etc. BTW – I have walked all over CM and have never had an ounce of problems anywhere. It's a good place to live.

I agree with Cmweb, there are not, in my experience, any places that could be considered dodgy. I have been here a little over a year and lived in three different areas. The best one, IMHO and for my purposes, is the area I live now, Chang Pueak (north-east of the moat). It is primarily a Thai neighbourhood with very few falang but some nice new buildings. It is friendly, not too many soi dogs, tons of good Thai restaurants/bars. Walking distance to practically everywhere etc. BTW – I have walked all over CM and have never had an ounce of problems anywhere. It's a good place to live.

Thats right "Al" it was only a few weeks back you "threaded" that the biggest problem was literally where you live....I am recalling the words condoms/lemons/gay hotel

So I think you can highlight your vicinity as dodgy mai chai?

Thats right "Al" it was only a few weeks back you "threaded" that the biggest problem was literally where you live....I am recalling the words condoms/lemons/gay hotel

Mai! One stretch of garbage by one (or two) irresponsible business owners does not make an area dodgy. I talked to one owner and they cleaned up their act. I did not mention anything about condoms and the gay friendly hotel is never a problem so clearly you made that bit up for some reason, don't know what your problem is today but, maybe another cuppa coffee1.gif would help. Have a nice day.

too close to food, Akha Ama coffee, and too many college girls in the area.

Sumtitam - avoid it!

Why pray tell?

When I lived in Santitham in the early 90's it was bloody awful mak mak. I used to get woken up by inebriated bar girls and invited to their rooms on a regular basis.........a guy simply has to get his sleep. I wouldn't recommend that lifestyle to anyone.wink.png

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 2

I really don't consider Santitham to be a trendy, upcoming area. I think it's rather dirty, congested and run down. There is a bit of crime there too among the Burmese population and a lot of strung out people on yabaa and whatever else. But there a lot of interesting business all throughout the area and the market is great. I just wouldn't live there.

Mai! One stretch of garbage by one (or two) irresponsible business owners does not make an area dodgy. I talked to one owner and they cleaned up their act. I did not mention anything about condoms and the gay friendly hotel is never a problem so clearly you made that bit up for some reason, don't know what your problem is today but, maybe another cuppa coffee1.gif would help. Have a nice day.

yes I will take your advice; and apologise for an overactive and embellished memory. I hope the fact that I actually live in your vicinity doesnt make it dodgy also.

• Like 1

too close to food, Akha Ama coffee, and too many college girls in the area.

Sumtitam - avoid it!

Why pray tell?

When I lived in Santitham in the early 90's it was bloody awful mak mak. I used to get woken up by inebriated bar girls and invited to their rooms on a regular basis.........a guy simply has to get his sleep. I wouldn't recommend that lifestyle to anyone.wink.png

well I hope I am popular as you when I get into my 90's

• Like 1

Although not dodgy, I would stay away from Chiangmai Land as it is prone to lots of flooding. Believe me. I have first hand experience. After a major flood years ago and being told by Taksin there would be no more floods there, we had 2 more large floods within a month. Needless to say, me and about a quarter of the other residents moved out. So make sure you don't move to any area that gets a lot of water runoff.

• Like 1

Your best bet is to look for areas that appeal to you then talk to potential neighbors, or post more specific questions on TV. As noted above, though, you probably don't want to live close to Spice unless you plan to spend your nights in that dive. It's also worth noting that some areas near the river flooded last year and had some significant flooding six years ago.

Quite a bit of hate for Santitham hey? I find it quite all right here. I have some lovely neighbours and my little soi is at least quite quiet except for the chap that sometimes has his Harley out at odd hours. But I dont mind that, if anything on this street is going to be stolen it will be his bike, I am happy for him to draw any unwanted attention ;)

Its close to nimman, KSK and CM Ram without suffering too much from congestion, and there is a decent market. The roads could definitely be a bit better though, they are quite run down even compared to the general standards of Thailand which aren't exactly stellar.

Don't stay too close to the airport unless you enjoy the sound of jets flying over your place.

I live well within a kilometre of the airport and I can honestly say I rarely notice a plane at all. You seem to become completely immune to their sound very quickly - and there aren't many planes anyway...

If you choose to live on the South side of town (where the airport is) just be sure to not be directly under the flightpath; that is for sure unpleasant. If you are out to the East or West of the runway, even just by 3 or 400 metres, it really is a non-issue - and I like the South side of town very much; very hassle free. We're are also a good distance from the river - NO flooding here. thumbsup.gif

PS The planes are a hell of a lot quieter (if you notice them at all) than the tuk-tuks and kids on souped up motorbikes that used to wake me up when I lived in the old city... You can't help but notice them at 4 in the morning! Noisy bas***ds.

Edited by JimShortz

Can't find Santhitam on the map - can you give a few landmarks and general directions please?

It's in Chang Puek district inside the area North West of the moat and North of Huay Kaew Road, bounded on the East by Chang Puek Road and north and West by the Superhighway.

18.801841,98.978233 is Haa Yak Santitham (the traffic circle on Santitham Road Thai's often use in directions)