Dodgy Bits Of Cm To Avoid Renting In.

Mousehound

Love Santitham and have lived here for many years now. During that time it has changed almost beyond recognition, and still the construction goes on and on and on. It's reputation is not entirely justified, mixed with the packed student areas are several quiet back streets with some very nice houses occupied by very rich Thai's. The bad areas have been seriously curtailed and many Burmese have moved east as their old cheap lodgings have been demolished.

The influx of young people to the area has brought plenty of new business with loads of options for coffee, food, drink and plenty of entertainment venues. The whole area has a vibrant buzz without being pretentious like Nimmanheminda. It's biggest downside is the infrastructure development has not kept pace with the rapid population rise.

But, it's real Thailand, albeit a young modern version, and not the Farang friendly fantasy land to be found around parts of downtown. And best of all, you won't find any of the kind of whinging Farang who've posted about Santitham on this thread living here tongue.png

What a glowing report!

Sadly I dont recognise what you describe, and I was out of there like a shot when I first stayed in C.M, when I realised the reputation the area had for "people batting for the other side" and it essentially being the Le Crow for Thais.

It is still has a high number of short stay motels,car drive ins; pimps peddling their girls, bar girls, I have sat at the food carts along the main road there, and seen the noodle boys chasing rats along the gutter with knives. That stretch is full of rats jumping from the fields either side, I was scared and sick.

Granted the area is trying to make efforts to get on its uppers, and I have seen many new developments, but unless they make efforts to renovate and improve the run down buildings, then they will maintain that reputation, sadly.

Lets see how the area develops over the next 2/3 years;

I am just waiting for someone to come along who has a different idea to opening a coffee shop/massage/tour agency/bike rental.......I dont think santitham is ready for vidal sasoon/ nail chic /botox and face contouring yet...which is now a unique idea by everyone it seems in the Nimmen area

• Like 1

I dont think santitham is ready for vidal sasoon/ nail chic /botox and face contouring yet...

If it was then I wouldn't want to stay there, and probably couldn't afford it. 10-15 years ago Nimmanhaemin wasn't ready for those things. People who purchased at that time did well.

• Like 1

Two years ago I stayed for a month in a new apartment bldg on Marakot Rd just east ofSantitham. I was told that the area to the east (and west of Chang Puak Rd) is home of drug dealers and dangerous to walk through. Needless to say I did walk through it few times, and it certainly appeared to be on the edge with a nightclub with young boys dancing on stage wearing jokey shorts, and a row of cheesy cathouses. But that was 2 years ago, who knows if it's since changed?

Two years ago I stayed for a month in a new apartment bldg on Marakot Rd just east ofSantitham. I was told that the area to the east (and west of Chang Puak Rd) is home of drug dealers and dangerous to walk through. Needless to say I did walk through it few times, and it certainly appeared to be on the edge with a nightclub with young boys dancing on stage wearing jokey shorts, and a row of cheesy cathouses. But that was 2 years ago, who knows if it's since changed?

Have no idea of what the area is like.

Just a observation that based on the description of the size of the area Paagal has given it would be easy to mark of many areas of the city that size and find many of the things people point out that they have seen. In no way does it represent the whole area.

It would be like describing the Night Bazaar area as the same as Loi Kroh road.

I dont think santitham is ready for vidal sasoon/ nail chic /botox and face contouring yet...

If it was then I wouldn't want to stay there, and probably couldn't afford it. 10-15 years ago Nimmanhaemin wasn't ready for those things. People who purchased at that time did well.

I think its fairer to say the landlords did well and will continue to do well.

A good business is not often for sale, even if they had some good times, do business owners walk away with bulging pockets, rarely I would say.

A business idea here is usually valueless when it comes to selling because every bugger else is doing the same and diluting the catchment, and therefore the profit.

So yes, Shitty- tham may well prosper if you are lucky enough to be a landowner rather than a business owner. IMHO of course

Love Santitham and have lived here for many years now. During that time it has changed almost beyond recognition, and still the construction goes on and on and on. It's reputation is not entirely justified, mixed with the packed student areas are several quiet back streets with some very nice houses occupied by very rich Thai's. The bad areas have been seriously curtailed and many Burmese have moved east as their old cheap lodgings have been demolished.

The influx of young people to the area has brought plenty of new business with loads of options for coffee, food, drink and plenty of entertainment venues. The whole area has a vibrant buzz without being pretentious like Nimmanheminda. It's biggest downside is the infrastructure development has not kept pace with the rapid population rise.

But, it's real Thailand, albeit a young modern version, and not the Farang friendly fantasy land to be found around parts of downtown. And best of all, you won't find any of the kind of whinging Farang who've posted about Santitham on this thread living here tongue.png

I agree, I like the area and it is very much Thai to the north of Huay Kaew Road. I live in the south end of it so I'm close to KSK which also means falang central. I have wandered around aimlessly in this area for around 6 or 7 months now and have never had a problem. I will admit that I haven't hung out in the Thai bars since I don't speak Thai (yet - just stared classes.) so I haven't spent a lot of time at night wandering the streets. Although the times when I have gone wandering at night I have had no problems...well...except for soi dogs sometimes but they're everywhere in the city. Speaking of building, there are probably a dozen buildings going up withing a 6 soi radius of here, one of which, I was told today, is available since the guy who started building it disappeared with his investors cash...oops. Foundations are in, could be a good deal for someone with deep pockets wink.png

Oh yeah, an additional note to the OP - I totally agree with those who mentioned the flood areas. I lived a little south of Loi Kroh (soi 2) last Sept/Oct and most of the sois flooded and they are a long way from the river. It's a little disconcerting when you have to take your footwear off and walk through 12 inch deep mucky water with those little brown things floating past...sick.gif

Edited by DowntownAl

I wouldn't live anywhere on the east side between the moat and the river. There are very few places inside the moat that i would consider either. That's where all the tourists live. I'm not a tourist and I don't want to feel like one. But that's me and others may like all the western hangouts.

The west side of the city isn't anything like that. Most of Santitam is just fine and nothing like that. It's a residential Thai area populated mostly by young Thais with few farang. When I move from my current residence, Santitam is one of the areas I'd look at first.

just like anywhere else in Thailand, your individual street is more important than the general neighborhood.

What a glowing report!

Sadly I dont recognise what you describe, and I was out of there like a shot when I first stayed in C.M, when I realised the reputation the area had for "people batting for the other side" and it essentially being the Le Crow for Thais.

It is still has a high number of short stay motels,car drive ins; pimps peddling their girls, bar girls, I have sat at the food carts along the main road there, and seen the noodle boys chasing rats along the gutter with knives. That stretch is full of rats jumping from the fields either side, I was scared and sick.

Granted the area is trying to make efforts to get on its uppers, and I have seen many new developments, but unless they make efforts to renovate and improve the run down buildings, then they will maintain that reputation, sadly.

I am just waiting for someone to come along who has a different idea to opening a coffee shop/massage/tour agency/bike rental.......I dont think santitham is ready for vidal sasoon/ nail chic /botox and face contouring yet...which is now a unique idea by everyone it seems in the Nimmen area

Actually, one of the best places in CM to purchase cosmetics and personal care products is Chiang Mai Direct just west of Tanin Market. Oh, that market is considered one of the best traditional Thai markets in the entire country. They've won awards and been featured on national Thai TV shows. You regularly see Thai tour groups visiting.

Sanitam is really no different than other parts of the city in that the quality of life can change drastically from one soi to another and within 200 meters on the same soi. The best advice is to talk to the neighbors and hang out a few days during the quiet time -- times when you'd like to get to sleep. That's how you'll discover the pounding karaoke bar that looks abandoned during the day or the monks chanting at 6 am right outside your bedroom window.

Also the AKA AMA coffee shop in Santitum area is one of the best

What a glowing report!

Actually, one of the best places in CM to purchase cosmetics and personal care products is Chiang Mai Direct just west of Tanin Market. Oh, that market is considered one of the best traditional Thai markets in the entire country. They've won awards and been featured on national Thai TV shows. You regularly see Thai tour groups visiting.

Sanitam is really no different than other parts of the city in that the quality of life can change drastically from one soi to another and within 200 meters on the same soi. The best advice is to talk to the neighbors and hang out a few days during the quiet time -- times when you'd like to get to sleep. That's how you'll discover the pounding karaoke bar that looks abandoned during the day or the monks chanting at 6 am right outside your bedroom window.

I don't think there is any bad place, maybe some are not so clean put the Thais are all ok thought. PM me if you need help to buy or rent a home, I own a real estate company in CM

Hmm, several months back I was looking for a place and after looking through some ads, ended up in a location that the surroundings and people convinced me I didn't want to live in. It was in this general area http://goo.gl/maps/FceV Of course the price was too good for what was described so I should have remembered that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Santithum does seem to be a popular locale of discussion. In all honesty haven't been through there for a while. Last time was with my ex-wife many years ago where we met some people on business in a gay bar (yeah I know, but it is true) where the main attraction was a guy masterbating on the stage, didn't do anything for me but the crowd seemed to enjoy it. Recall hearing shouts for an encore.

Paagais' unashamed avatar basically sums it up. Santithum is the area for gays and katoeys, if that is your thing then you will undoubtably love it. Vibrant buzz, coffee, food etc is the justification for friends and relatives that don't know better, the reality is quick access to what rings your bell. Friend of mine recently discovereed a yearning for katoeys, he changed locale from southside straight into Santithum and it definitely wasn't for the coffee.

Chiang Mai currently is pretty good all over, but remember before buying that on holidays you might stay in a red light area, but do you really want to live there full time or better to just visit when the itch comes. Also if here gets bad like down south eventually then those areas will be the worst.

Santithum does seem to be a popular locale of discussion. In all honesty haven't been through there for a while. Last time was with my ex-wife many years ago where we met some people on business in a gay bar (yeah I know, but it is true) where the main attraction was a guy masterbating on the stage, didn't do anything for me but the crowd seemed to enjoy it. Recall hearing shouts for an encore.

Paagais' unashamed avatar basically sums it up. Santithum is the area for gays and katoeys, if that is your thing then you will undoubtably love it. Vibrant buzz, coffee, food etc is the justification for friends and relatives that don't know better, the reality is quick access to what rings your bell. Friend of mine recently discovereed a yearning for katoeys, he changed locale from southside straight into Santithum and it definitely wasn't for the coffee.

One has to question your motives for posting such utter rubbish when, by your own admission, you've never even been there recently. Your comment, "Santithum is the area for gays and katoeys" sums up your ignorance more than anything else. You should get with the program, it's 2012; the days of the gay ghetto have gone!coffee1.gif

Yes there are still four gay bars with shows of the type you describe. But, they are all in discreet locations largely out of sight. Three of them in quiet sois where no one would go by accident, and most are located just off Chang Puek road and not in the center of Santitham at all. A very stark contrast to the high visibility whore bars around the city's main tourist areas. If you want to find the really sleazy gay bars, where old farangs can be seen publicly fondling young guys, look no further than the Night Bazaar, and you'll find way more Kathoeys on Loi Kroh road than you will in Santitham.

Santitham does have several good restaurants and Cafes that are popular with gay farangs but they are all respectable places that have a mixed clientele and none are specifically gay. Compared with the four gay bars, there is a much bigger group of old local Thai style "lady bars", though these are now few in numbers, concentrated in a small area and largely off limits to Farangs, What Santitham does have is maybe a hundred plus small bars and restaurants, many with live music that are packed with Thai students having fun. Some of them maybe gays or kathoeys of course, but that's normal anywhere in Thailandwink.png .

Edited by Paagai

Batting for the other side whistling.gif ? What does that mean? Is it a TV.com euphemism for whether one prefers Pizza or Burgers? tongue.png

Well, I'm a Pizza man and proud of it. Fortunately these days you can get some really great Pizza in Santitham too thumbsup.gif and burgers (Google it)

Edited by Paagai

Batting for the other side whistling.gif ? What does that mean? Is it a TV.com euphemism for whether one prefers Pizza or Burgers? tongue.png

Well, I'm a Pizza man and proud of it. Fortunately these days you can get some really great Pizza in Santitham too thumbsup.gif and burgers (Google it)

I think he liked the area and then heard some bad things about it so he left. I hope no one says bad things about the one he is in now he will have to move again.whistling.gif

I think he liked the area and then heard some bad things about it so he left. I hope no one says bad things about the one he is in now he will have to move again.whistling.gif

What makes you think that?

MSPain

What makes you think that?

MSPain

He was out of there like a shot when he realised the reputation the area had for "people batting for the other side" and it essentially being the Le Crow for Thais.

Apparently it was OK up until he realized the reputation. Apparently it was not some thing he could see he had to hear that it had that reputation.

I live near lo Kroh and it is just a small area no where near as the size that Santitham was described as. Also it is only on one end of the street.