''Family Mart'' Girl- Advice Please...

davidst01

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought you had to be 20 to work in a bar ?. She must have been a very good bar girl, a very short career indeed.

If she is a bar girl etc she could have had half a decade in a Thai bar.

Many ladies of the night work low paid day jobs.

You have to ask why a girl not from Pattaya is working in Pattaya in a minimum wage job she could do anywhere.

I thought you had to be 20 to work in a bar ?. She must have been a very good bar girl, a very short career indeed.

You have to ask why a girl not from Pattaya is working in Pattaya in a minimum wage job she could do anywhere.

Pattaya minimum is about 2000 more than Isaan minimum, do not forget the new minimum applies only to some provinces.

8200 per month is pretty decent money for someone from Isaan where its more like 5000-6000

Why would someone from Isaan move to Pattaya to work at a Family Mart?

Actually far more common than you might think.

Father / Mother / Brother / Uncle goes to work in factory in Bangkok / Laem Chabang / Ayuthaya / Rayong.

Father / Mother / Brother / Uncle starts making a life for himself that doesn't involve hand-to-mouth agrarian existence, has steady income, can afford pickup / modest house payments etc.

Father / Mother / Brother / Uncle brings offspring / niece / nephew to live with in Bangkok / Laem Chabang / Ayuthaya / Rayong aged 13+

And so on and so forth . . .

You can also substitute factory for something to do with tourism, particularly if the Isaan person is found in the south. Sometimes they just sell somtam or have some other sort of business; a relative of a friend in Isan makes a tidy living simply by loading his pickup truck with various goods and delivering them to Burmese migrant workers at their factory dorms! He says they eat good scoff too, for example the soy milk comes from a pukkaThai-Chinese vendor from Yaowarat, none of that cheap <deleted> that Thais go for, and they won't rest until they've settled the bill unlike Thais . . . quite fascinating, but I digress.

As someone who lives and works as a teacher in Isan I see various scenes related to various permutations of this 'story' every day.

I suppose there might just be something about going far away from home that helps to give people a kick up the backside . . .

But Pattaya ? Not Bangkok, Sri Racha, Rayong, Laem Chabang, Chonburi, Khon Ken, Samut Prakan where there is much more work for a Thai. What you say is possible and it's also possible she moved to a farang populated place just to meet a farang, but out of all the places it's Pattaya.

Father / Mother / Brother / Uncle goes to work in factory in Bangkok / Laem Chabang / Ayuthaya / Rayong.

Father / Mother / Brother / Uncle starts making a life for himself that doesn't involve hand-to-mouth agrarian existence, has steady income, can afford pickup / modest house payments etc.

Father / Mother / Brother / Uncle brings offspring / niece / nephew to live with in Bangkok / Laem Chabang / Ayuthaya / Rayong aged 13+

You can also substitute factory for something to do with tourism, particularly if the Isaan person is found in the south. Sometimes they just sell somtam or have some other sort of business; a relative of a friend in Isan makes a tidy living simply by loading his pickup truck with various goods and delivering them to Burmese migrant workers at their factory dorms! He says they eat good scoff too, for example the soy milk comes from a pukkaThai-Chinese vendor from Yaowarat, none of that cheap <deleted> that Thais go for, and they won't rest until they've settled the bill unlike Thais . . . quite fascinating, but I digress.

As someone who lives and works as a teacher in Isan I see various scenes related to various permutations of this 'story' every day.

I suppose there might just be something about going far away from home that helps to give people a kick up the backside . . .

But Pattaya ? Not Bangkok, Sri Racha, Rayong, Laem Chabang, Chonburi, Khon Ken, Samut Prakan where there is much more work for a Thai. What you say is possible and it's also possible she moved to a farang populated place just to meet a farang, but out of all the places it's Pattaya.

Because in my opinion, Pattaya is the easiest place to get a job. Most business are crying for staff and would employ a monkey if it could speak, while other city's mentioned have a much higher number of candidates

Just look though job centers in Pattaya, business looking for staff of any age, any education, just anyone to work

Edited by phl

Pattaya minimum is about 2000 more than Isaan minimum, do not forget the new minimum applies only to some provinces.

8200 per month is pretty decent money for someone from Isaan where its more like 5000-6000

It's highest in Bangkok and the same as Pattaya in Chonburi and Sri Racha.

Because in my opinion, Pattaya is the easiest place to get a job. Most business are crying for staff and would employ a monkey if it could speak, while other city's mentioned have a much higher number of candidates

Just look though job centers in Pattaya, business looking for staff of any age, any education, just anyone to work

No problem in Chonburi City either. People keep poaching other peoples staff obviously due to staff shortages.

Bangkok no problem either. Brother in law can't get enough staff the same as many people he knows as well.

It's highest in Bangkok and the same as Pattaya in Chonburi and Sri Racha.

yep, see post 67 for an explanationsmile.png

If her mum is asking for money via western union, that is very weird imo. Although maybe she's living really rural, and there's no banks/ATMs close, but maybe a western union/postshop.

However, the transaction cost of sending money via western union, would likely be quite high compared to sending from a bank account

Since she'd likely be earning a very minimal amount at family mart (maybe 8000 a month), and then having to pay for her cost of living (Which would be significantly higher than if she was in her village in Isaan), she wouldn't have very much to send home to mum, and so with a high transaction cost it really wouldn't be worth sending small amounts.

Especially if her mum is, as you said, asking frequently (assuming she's sending money each time), since she's only getting paid monthly, her mum could only really ask once a month.

Thus, for her to be regularly sending money back to her mum, she'd need to be getting an additional income from somewhere. Maybe try asking her if she has a second job, and if she brings up sending money to her mum, ask how much she's sending, and how much the transaction costs are. I would find it hard to believe she was able to send more than 2,000 a month.

Also if she can speak English, she could have picked it up from school. There are some kids, even very poor kids, who can speak excellent English. If that's the case, she might have moved to Pattaya so that she could practice is more (and maybe meet a farang husband).

The real test to see if she's a bar girl or a real Isaan girl, is to see how conservative she is. Isaan is really conservative, and although she's away from the countryside, she likely will still have a lot of the conservativeness ingrained in her. If she seems like a bit of a tramp, then watch out.

No problem in Chonburi City either. People keep poaching other peoples staff obviously due to staff shortages.

Bangkok no problem either. Brother in law can't get enough staff the same as many people he knows as well.

in that case we must assume that any young girl who moved to Pattaya must be a hooker or looking for a sponsor? I like to give people benefit of the doubt :)

If anything, good on her for working regular job and possibly freelancing after, much more respect from me than those who just work bar and sleep all day or do nothing all day

I don't care one way or another but, the western union transfers surprised me. Why pay the fees for that when every person I know in Thailand does money transfers via ATM to recipients account or friend / family of recipient if they don't actually have a bank account.

To the OP:

If you`re not a troll and the girl is 20 years old, comes from Isaan, speaks decent English, lives and works in Pattaya, has a family already desperate for money and he is wondering if this female is good girlfriend or perhaps wife material.

My question to the OP is; what sorts of answers does he want to hear or expect to receive?

My advice is; stay well clear and don`t get involved, but I somehow think this will go against the grain with the OP as to his expectations or perhaps he feels that this girl is different from all the others of that ilk.

So to conclude; whatever the OP does, he does at his own risk and discretion.

Good luck to all that sail in her.

I don't care one way or another but, the western union transfers surprised me. Why pay the fees for that when every person I know in Thailand does money transfers via ATM to recipients account or friend / family of recipient if they don't actually have a bank account.

Western Union money normally comes from Farangland.

And that's the answer to OP's question.

Because there is no work in the village ?

aren't any Family marts closer to her village than Pattaya?

If she was a bar girl and gave it up to work in a Family mart, should not be a negative but a positive.

Any way this Op is loaded with tasty morsels for as to chew on, especially the part where the mother calls and ask for money

via western union all the time.

Me thinks this is a Troll post, what you think?

I agree. The Weston Union transfer I think is the giveaway. Most Thais use ATM transfers. The OP did resond once. I think they are learning from previous threads Trolling.

Quite possibly,and if there is some decent apartments nearby,all the more reason for a fair few Farangs around. Coupled with the fact there is more competition amongst Bar Girls to Bag a Farang,this lowers the competition,and she may have got the job,because her English is good. And what could be more attractive to a Jaded Farang than one giving the impression of innocence?Could be a smart Girl this one? Or................

The Western Union part is what I find odd. Thai people normally use bank to bank transfer via the local ATM. Usually costs 20 Baht. Maybe she does not have a bank account? I would ask if she has :)

At 20 she could have been working in places where she needed English and not only in bars. Hotel work, restaurants. But I know ago-go girls under 20 down Walking Street. Yet, as others have said, why give up in her prime?

Try to get her number. Has she got the latest most expensive mobile? If so where did she get the money for it?

Take her out to a quiet restaurant and quiz her gently. A few decent probing questions would help ease your worries. Whatever you do, remember the answers. Thai people are generally not good liars and if you ask the same questions in a few days or a week you will soon see if she gives the same replies.

And if you do not take the plunge into her life and she is very hot you might regret it. She may be the best thing since sliced bread.

Whatever route you take, take everything with a large pinch of salt until proven otherwise.

Guard your heart. Hearts can easily be broken by these beautiful exotic women wub.pngwhistling.gifw00t.gif

Send a handsome farang into Family Mart to flirt with her and to give her the third degree.

You will get all of your answers without asking and know how honest her feelings are about you.

Only send a farang who you can trust...some would take advantage of her and stab you in the back...

I'm just being real!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

OP could always just have fun, and see where it goes. After all 20 year old sweetie is not exactly a hardship and if she turns out to be an "undecover" move on. if she turns out to be a nice girl who may be needs "some" support then still not a bad deal.

OP is talking like he is about to get married, just have funthumbsup.gif

Seriously guy, it has caught my attention...just a question...though. What's so wrong about 'beign isaarn girl' just saw one comment saying 'negative side : isarn girl" something like that. Just curious anyway.

Understand that the majority of most the working girls are from isarn but is it that bad being isarns?

If her mum is asking for money via western union, that is very weird imo. Although maybe she's living really rural, and there's no banks/ATMs close, but maybe a western union/postshop.

However, the transaction cost of sending money via western union, would likely be quite high compared to sending from a bank account

Since she'd likely be earning a very minimal amount at family mart (maybe 8000 a month), and then having to pay for her cost of living (Which would be significantly higher than if she was in her village in Isaan), she wouldn't have very much to send home to mum, and so with a high transaction cost it really wouldn't be worth sending small amounts.

Especially if her mum is, as you said, asking frequently (assuming she's sending money each time), since she's only getting paid monthly, her mum could only really ask once a month.

Thus, for her to be regularly sending money back to her mum, she'd need to be getting an additional income from somewhere. Maybe try asking her if she has a second job, and if she brings up sending money to her mum, ask how much she's sending, and how much the transaction costs are. I would find it hard to believe she was able to send more than 2,000 a month.

Also if she can speak English, she could have picked it up from school. There are some kids, even very poor kids, who can speak excellent English. If that's the case, she might have moved to Pattaya so that she could practice is more (and maybe meet a farang husband).

The real test to see if she's a bar girl or a real Isaan girl, is to see how conservative she is. Isaan is really conservative, and although she's away from the countryside, she likely will still have a lot of the conservativeness ingrained in her. If she seems like a bit of a tramp, then watch out.

Thanks for the additional replies. Im finding this topic more interesting and the comments above ''see how conservative she is'' ... After my first date with her we walked past my hotel and I asked her if she wanted to stay the night. She made excuses and would not stay with me. Its the first time in thailand in 9 months of being here that a thai girl has knocked me back. So maybe she is conservative.

Im trying to give her the benefit of the doubt as she is a nice girl and Im a good guy!

In my experience there is little reason for Thais in general to learn English unless they work in the tourism industry (which includes the sex trade), or if they come from a decent background and are interested/capable of mid-to-high level business management or come from a wealthy background and will study abroad.

None of which seem to fit your girl, except, like you said, the possibility of a past bar girl career.

Obviously you don't have enough experience in this matter. Khon Kaen is a perfect example of that not everything is the same in Isaan.

I was talking about all of Thailand, actually, not just Isaan, and I'm interested to hear how Khon Kaen is different when it comes to English speakers...

Yeah I know you were... so I take it you have been to Isaan or lived there for a period of time right?

Thanks for the additional replies. Im finding this topic more interesting and the comments above ''see how conservative she is'' ... After my first date with her we walked past my hotel and I asked her if she wanted to stay the night. She made excuses and would not stay with me. Its the first time in thailand in 9 months of being here that a thai girl has knocked me back. So maybe she is conservative.

Im trying to give her the benefit of the doubt as she is a nice girl and Im a good guy!

Mate sorry to rain on your parade, but conservative girls do not go out with tourists(alone, without friends), especially the ones who approach her at work :)

Mate sorry to rain on your parade, but conservative girls do not go out with tourists(alone, without friends), especially the ones who approach her at work smile.png

Utter nonsense...That's your theory, luckily not all of us categorize women like that. That depends on the man and his approach.

A conservative woman can appreciate a man like that if he shows he is sincere but she will probably hold him at a distance, that might be true but every woman is different from another, no matter the nationality or culture.