Ginger Sauce Recipe Needed (Khao Man Gai)

connda

Google's first result for "khao man gai ginger sauce recipe":

Make the sauce: In the meantime, put about 1/3 cup of roughly chopped fresh ginger (the more fibrous, the better, in this case!) into a food processor along with 4 medium cloves garlic (peeled), 5-8 red or green bird's eye chillies (the number depends on your heat tolerance), and 1/2 cup fermented soybean sauce, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup dark sweet soy sauce, 1/4 "white" soy sauce (information about dark sweet soy sauce and "white" soy sauce can be found in my post on soy sauces used in modern Thai cooking), and 1/3 cup white vinegar (not rice -- oh gawd, not rice vinegar); pulse everything into a coarse puree. Pour the sauce mixture into a small saucepan and bring to a gentle boil and remove from heat after 30-40 seconds. Let the sauce cool down and adjust the seasonings as needed. In my opinion, the sauce should be primarily salty and sweet with a bit of sour taste from the vinegar. (You can make 3-4 times the amount of sauce and freeze it to use later. The sauce freezes beautifully and thaws easily.)

Google's second result for "khao man gai ginger sauce recipe":

The sauce ingredients

½ cup fermented soybean

¾ cup soy sauce

½ -1 tsp black soy sauce

½ cup vinegar

¼ cup fresh Thai Chili (Phrik Khee Nuu)

¾ cup sugar

½ cup garlic

½ cup ginger

How to make the sauce

1. Peel off the garlic and ginger skin, and pull off the chili stem. Wash garlic, ginger and chili with water thoroughly. Mince garlic, ginger, and chili into small pieces. And place everything in a mixing bowl.

2. Add all the seasoning like fermented soybean, soy sauce, black soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar. Mix all together. Taste as you like but should be salty, sour, and sweet. Set the sauce aside to serve with Khao Man Gai.

Note: Some people like the sauce with the fine texture. So put all the ingredients except fermented soybean into the blender. Turn on the switch and blend all ingredients carefully until fine. Switch off. Add fermented soybean, turn on the switch again and blend about 5 seconds. Taste it as you like. The finished sauce can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a month. Some who like it spicy, always can add more minced garlic, ginger and chili in your sauce before serving.

--------------

Come on guys, this is like the first rule of Interneting.

Make the sauce: In the meantime, put about 1/3 cup of roughly chopped fresh ginger (the more fibrous, the better, in this case!) into a food processor along with 4 medium cloves garlic (peeled), 5-8 red or green bird's eye chillies (the number depends on your heat tolerance), and 1/2 cup fermented soybean sauce, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup dark sweet soy sauce, 1/4 "white" soy sauce (information about dark sweet soy sauce and "white" soy sauce can be found in my post on soy sauces used in modern Thai cooking), and 1/3 cup white vinegar (not rice -- oh gawd, not rice vinegar); pulse everything into a coarse puree. Pour the sauce mixture into a small saucepan and bring to a gentle boil and remove from heat after 30-40 seconds. Let the sauce cool down and adjust the seasonings as needed. In my opinion, the sauce should be primarily salty and sweet with a bit of sour taste from the vinegar. (You can make 3-4 times the amount of sauce and freeze it to use later. The sauce freezes beautifully and thaws easily.)

The sauce ingredients

½ cup fermented soybean

¾ cup soy sauce

½ -1 tsp black soy sauce

½ cup vinegar

¾ cup sugar

½ cup garlic

½ cup ginger

How to make the sauce

1. Peel off the garlic and ginger skin, and pull off the chili stem. Wash garlic, ginger and chili with water thoroughly. Mince garlic, ginger, and chili into small pieces. And place everything in a mixing bowl.

2. Add all the seasoning like fermented soybean, soy sauce, black soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar. Mix all together. Taste as you like but should be salty, sour, and sweet. Set the sauce aside to serve with Khao Man Gai.

Note: Some people like the sauce with the fine texture. So put all the ingredients except fermented soybean into the blender. Turn on the switch and blend all ingredients carefully until fine. Switch off. Add fermented soybean, turn on the switch again and blend about 5 seconds. Taste it as you like. The finished sauce can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a month. Some who like it spicy, always can add more minced garlic, ginger and chili in your sauce before serving.

--------------

I actually looked but didn't find anything as complete as this. I knew about 3/4 of the ingredients, but this filled in the gaps. Thanks much for sharing the post!!! Duly appreciated!

The sauce ingredients

½ cup fermented soybean

¾ cup soy sauce

½ -1 tsp black soy sauce

½ cup vinegar

¾ cup sugar

½ cup garlic

½ cup ginger

How to make the sauce

--------------

I actually looked but didn't find anything as complete as this. I knew about 3/4 of the ingredients, but this filled in the gaps. Thanks much for sharing the post!!! Duly appreciated!

How do you make the Koa man gai?? If you dont mind thanks...

The sauce ingredients

½ cup fermented soybean

¾ cup soy sauce

½ -1 tsp black soy sauce

½ cup vinegar

¾ cup sugar

½ cup garlic

½ cup ginger

How to make the sauce

--------------

How do you make the Koa man gai?? If you dont mind thanks...

Kaow Man Gai is essentially boiled chicken on rice with a side of chicken soup. Here's a pretty basic recipe:

1 chicken <or how ever many you want> (gai), or 1 kilo of chicken parts

cilantro (pak chee)

celery (kun chai)

green onion (dton hom)

1 medium cubed white turnip (pak gaat)

• Cover chicken in water with salt to taste. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, and cook with lid on for 1 to 2 hours.
  • Take chicken out of water (now chicken broth) and let both cool. When the broth is room temperature, I put it in the refrigerator until the oil on top as solidified. Skim the fat off of the surface of the broth and set aside.
  • Take 1 or 2 cups of broth out and set to the side. Reheat remaining broth and add chopped cilantro, celery, onion, and cubed turnip (optional). By the way, you can usually find the cilantro, celery, and onion in the markets wrapped together in a rubber band for 5 baht. Personally, I like 2 of these, but that might be more than most people like. Set on simmer.
  • Make rice. For me and my wife I usually make 2 cups dry "mali hom" rice, 2 1/2 cups water, 2 cups chicken broth, and add the chicken fat. If you have a rice cooker it's a no-brain. Otherwise throw it into a pot, bring to a boil, set on simmer, cover with a lid, and don't touch it for 30 minutes. The chicken fat actually makes the rich flavor of the rice.
  • Cut the chicken meat into strips.
  • Spoon rice on plate, top with chicken strips, and garnish with cilantro. Serve with a bowl of steaming hot chicken soup and a couple of tablespoons of the ginger sauce that I was looking for in the initial post.

Tasty

post-87058-0-23347200-1342952491_thumb.j

Edited by connda

• 2 weeks later...