Marriage To Thai Lady

dcq

I've been married to my Thai wife since November 05. All done by the book, government papers and translation. After being register-wed we learnt that her family name remains to this day, unchanged.

I believe the name change if needed can be daltered back in her home province, which happens to be Ubon Ratchatani. We were there last week, but didn't have time to visit government offices and such.

Anyway, have any members opted (both parties) to leave the ladys name unchanged or is there a common law stating that it is must be changed. What were the factors (private perhaps) that were resolute in your decision making?

Am I right to think that if my wife opts for using my family name she could/ would be barred from buying property/ land? I guess what i'm trying to say are there any restrictions or disadvantages for and against a change in the wifes name?

Thank you kindly for any replies in advance.

DCQ.

First of all did you register your marraige at an Ampur? If yes then you should have been offered the chance to change your wifes last name. The choice is up to you and your wife. You may leave her family name as is now, or you can change it to yours. If you opt to change it to yours you will have to go back to the ampur where you registered.

Barry

I've been married to my Thai wife since November 05. All done by the book, government papers and translation. After being register-wed we learnt that her family name remains to this day, unchanged.

I believe the name change if needed can be daltered back in her home province, which happens to be Ubon Ratchatani. We were there last week, but didn't have time to visit government offices and such.

Anyway, have any members opted (both parties) to leave the ladys name unchanged or is there a common law stating that it is must be changed. What were the factors (private perhaps) that were resolute in your decision making?

Am I right to think that if my wife opts for using my family name she could/ would be barred from buying property/ land? I guess what i'm trying to say are there any restrictions or disadvantages for and against a change in the wifes name?

Thank you kindly for any replies in advance.

DCQ.

After a couple of years of marriage and travelling plus kids the different names in the passport always caused a few extra questions and difficulties ( my wife and I did not change the name on her documents but used my family name on all other occasions ) We decided to change the ID /Passport to the family name to ease the issue .

Yes back to her original local office and after a few false starts we achieved

1/ revised ID with family name and moved her to BKK as the local office

2/ Then changed Passport ...

Things are a litle easier worth the effort before it is a problem ....plus the same family name on the land and house documents and I co signed everything with her who knows it may help in the future ... It seems to reassure a few people we are realy legitimate .

Costs minimal / hassel ...a fair bit but normal TIT / feel good factor good / negatives non really

We got married at an ampur in chonburi. I don't recall anyone asking if we'd prefer the family name changed, but then T.I.T. What I do remember is asking my wife about it at the time and being told that she could get it done in her home province, sound correct protocol? I do agree the comment that for ease of comfort the change would make future confrontation more ideal, but then i'm more concerned about getting full dividend from the marriage as the wife will have the greatest wealth in the marriage and I only want what's best for all of us. Which would be the wife having full 'rights' to purchase what she desires as it's her own country, right gentlemen? I'd prefer the change, but right now i'm weighing up all the pros and cons. I await the embassy take on this subject for the formal info, but would appreciate personal experiences. So thanx for the input to date, i'm a little less hazier re the passport situ.

Cheers.

DCQ.

She is required to change her ID card to reflect marriage even if she does not change her name (which is optional now). This was only performed at home district office but believe now more it not all are in the on line system so it may be possible to do other places.

The is no problem for her to own land with your last name (and thus no longer a reason not to change). The restriction is that you can not own land so the money she uses to buy land must be declared to belong to her alone. A routine signing of papers.

Believe you will find international travel easier with the same last names.

THANX LOPBURI. The reason for the Q was also based around insurance purposes as my wife had been paid a large death insurance premium shortly after the marriage on her mother, which didn't seem to alter the course of action to being paid on her five years payments. My wife also has more death insurance on another family member (not myself) and since i've been following the thread and also since my wife is a little panicy about changing her family name because of such, I wonder if you have any insight into suchmattersc (or such)?

Cheers.

DCQ

I would think it a routine matter to change the name on an insurance policy. Thai do normally change there name whey they marry. The Home Register is a running record of any name changes so the most that might be asked for would be that/marriage certificate/id card to take care of any legal matter.

I guess it's optional now (not sure when that changed) but when we registered out marriage my wife was told he had 30 days to comply with regulations to have her last name changed into mine and that it wasn't optional. Perhaps T.I.T, perhaps the new rules are really new, or...I don't know. (Some 3 years ago.)