True Visions Unfair?

LawrenceN

I have read the topic about True Visions and their new encryption. I decided to open a new topic because my complaint is from a different angle.

I was away from home for a week. When I got back to Chiang Mai on the 19th, all of this had happened. I couldn't get my box to work with the instructions that True was giving on channel 12, so called them. Turns out my box can't be updated to handle their new encryption, though I bought it from a legitimate source, a big box store here in CM when I initiated the service less than a year ago. It is not a Dreambox, so it's not that problem. They tell me the only solution is to go back to the store and buy a new box for almost 4,000 baht. I told them I'm going to consider other companies before I do that. This is a shabby way to treat a customer, bordering on extortion. They control this end-to-end. I resent them sticking their hand in my pocket this way.

I paid my last bill for a month's service through July 27. They cut me off on the 16th. That's twelve days of service they failed to deliver due to their own actions, 40% of the month. I figure they owe my 588 baht for the service they are unable to deliver to me. My unwillingness to submit to their extortion is irrelevant to their planned refusal to deliver my month of service.

Share your thoughts? Does anybody see a way for me to make them pay what I feel they owe me for undelivered service? Care to join a class action suit? Or is that just pissing in the wind?

Why don't you have a 'box' from True Visions? I thought that the 'True Visions box' and the parabolic dish antenna was included when you signed up for their service.

The OP say's he bought it, most boxes are rented and therefore would be changed by True.

I suppose the OP is just a bit unlucky that he bought the box so close to when they have changed them and hasn't got his monies worth out of it and this a chance you take when buying instead of renting.

Good customer service would be for True to give the OP a discount on a new box but i doubt that is going to happen.

Edited by alfieconn

If you had the old box from true then you needed to take it in and have it exchange for a new HD box. Free of charge. The OP has bought a box that is not from True. So guess what ? OP needs to go buy another box that is compatible with thier new HD set up.

• Like 1

"or is that just pissing in the wind".

Yes.

On the issue of the old receiver, well, stuff goes obsolete all the time. At one end of the scale you have outright fraud (like the bulb manufacturers who formed a cartel that forbade bulbs that lasted > 1,000 hours) to at the other end, stuff that dies a natural death.

Decoder technology marches on. Newer compression techniques mean they can squeeze more channels in a given bandwidth. New encryption technology minimises the number of people pirating their signal. I'm no fan of True and certainly not an apologist but I would have to say their rendering older decoders obsolete was a lot nearer the natural death end of the obsolesence scale than the money-grubbing fraudulent end. That, plus didn't they already give free upgrades to the people who bought their decoders from them?

We live in a condo near Kad Suan Kaew Mall.

Our condo has 20 channels of True for 350 baht per month.

Since the NEW switch over most of our channels are showing Vietnamize

Language at the bottom of the screen instead of Thai for the English Channel Stations.

Wordering if they are now stealing the channel from Vietnam?

They also changed the channel line up to where nothing much worth watching is on line...

Changed the History Channel with the Learning Channel (or should be called the FOOD Channel, lol).

Seems to me that if you buy anything from anybody else but True you get shafted

If you buy from True you get shafted too.

We didn't get shafted-- True upgraded our boxes for free a couple of months ago.

We didn't get shafted-- True upgraded our boxes for free a couple of months ago.

Oh, ok. Still, if I was paying 1700 baht every month for some TV content I'd be squealing like a pig. wacko.png

If you had the old box from true then you needed to take it in and have it exchange for a new HD box. Free of charge. The OP has bought a box that is not from True. So guess what ? OP needs to go buy another box that is compatible with thier new HD set up.

Not in Samui. I live in both CM and Samui and here, even though I own the box and dish (their equipment), I had to pay for a new decoder box. True Acid Visions initially told me, via the person at the office and on the phone in Bangkok, that I would get my package of channels free for one month and six months of all HD channels free. Then when I go to get the new box, it's no deal. Pay for the box and pay for the package and nothing free.

Welcome to the occupation....

Not in Samui. I live in both CM and Samui and here, even though I own the box and dish (their equipment), I had to pay for a new decoder box. True Acid Visions initially told me, via the person at the office and on the phone in Bangkok, that I would get my package of channels free for one month and six months of all HD channels free. Then when I go to get the new box, it's no deal. Pay for the box and pay for the package and nothing free.

Mmmm. Why doesn't that surprise me ?

Oh, ok. Still, if I was paying 1700 baht every month for some TV content I'd be squealing like a pig. wacko.png

Between the khwai and the pig, that would be quite a barnyard! Add a chicken and you'd have some serious e-i-e-i-o going on there, Old McDonald.

We live in a condo near Kad Suan Kaew Mall.

Our condo has 20 channels of True for 350 baht per month.

Since the NEW switch over most of our channels are showing Vietnamize

Language at the bottom of the screen instead of Thai for the English Channel Stations.

Wordering if they are now stealing the channel from Vietnam?

They also changed the channel line up to where nothing much worth watching is on line...

Changed the History Channel with the Learning Channel (or should be called the FOOD Channel, lol).

Would appear your condo was receiving transmission via a pirate system that has simply switched to the Vietnamese satellite which does not have as many English channels as the pirated True.

Mmmm. Why doesn't that surprise me ?

Like everything else in LOS the left hand doesn't know what the right one is doing

OP say's not a dreambox.......... Notice Sat companies are upgrading the tuner in some boxes to receive HD, cost appear to range between 750 baht to 1,100 baht depending on box..

Maybe no need to buy a new box ?

Edited by ignis

+1 We have had good service from True for years.

I had the same thing happens to me, out of town for the weekend and got "Blacked" out. I BOUGHT my box, went to S...TV (in CM) they gave me the new box for FREE, plus all the HD channels (am on the platinum package). NOw I have a useless box and a new HD box. Alas I lost the recording ability of the PVR (not going to pay 3000 just for a hard diskangry.png )