British Behaviour Abroad Report

Rimmer

British Behaviour Abroad Report

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s Annual British Behaviour Abroad Report 2012 – Thailand

The Foreign Office’s annual British Behaviour Abroad Report, published on 19 July 2012, reveals some important facts about British nationals in Thailand. From 1 April 2011, to 31 March 2012, when resident and visitor numbers are taken into account, Thailand was ranked as the second most likely country where British nationals would need consular assistance, after the Philippines. The report also indicates that British nationals were most likely to be hospitalised in Greece, followed by Thailand and most likely to be detained in Spain, followed by the USA, then Thailand.

Overall, the 2012 report shows that globally the number of consular assistance cases increased by 3%, the number of rapes reported to consular staff increased by 10%, the number of deaths was up by 3% and the number of applications for Emergency Travel Documents rose by 10%.

British Ambassador to Thailand Asif Ahmad said, “Thailand rightly remains an attractive tourist destination and a significant number of people have chosen to become long term residents. Good planning is the best way to avoid hazards and insurance for travel and health is essential. Medical bills can run to thousands of Pounds and the ordinary British tax payer cannot meet the uninsured costs of fellow citizens who have chosen to venture abroad. Make sure you read the small print – riding a motorbike or other activities could invalidate the insurance policy. Reading the FCO’s Thailand Travel Advice will help visitors familiarise themselves with local laws and customs, and become aware of scams and potential risks. We do recommend travellers to check health requirements to ensure they’ve had all the necessary vaccinations.”

Out of the 296 deaths of Britons in Thailand over the last year, about 75% were residents, many of whom had retired in Thailand. However, after natural causes, the second most frequent cause of death was road traffic accidents. In recent years in Thailand, there was an average of 12,000 deaths per year from road traffic accidents, of which about 70% involved motorbikes. Many accidents are due to poor safety standards of vehicles and drivers and travelling at night in private or public transport increases the risk of death or injury on the roads.

“I have seen the sadness and anguish of victims and relatives after incidents which, if thought through, are entirely avoidable. Like the majority of visitors and residents in Thailand, I hope everyone stays safe and enjoys their time in the country,” Asif Ahmad added.

Further information

The Thailand Travel Advice is updated regularly.

The figures in this report cover the 2011/2012 Financial Year which runs from 1 April 2011 to 31 March 2012.

Help for British nationals

"Reading the FCO’s Thailand Travel Advice will help visitors familiarise themselves with local laws [to circumvent] and customs [to ignore or offend], and become aware of scams [to perpetrate, like boiler room scams] and potential risks [of getting caught]." :)

• Like 1

... The ugliest. nastiest and the greatest nation in the world.

Few would argue on the first two points, but the last is debatable.

whistling.giftongue.png

Few would also bother to argue your cheap shot motives! come to terms with it and move on!

• Like 2

This report dosent suprise me .But what if we added mabye turkey or arab countries to this list or hey mabye pakistan well mabye there travelling on a briitish passport.The point is the scum of the earth travel to Thailand so dont be suprised by the results.The kind of people i meet on a holiday here are very different i would meet in say the maldives.I THANK U.

This report dosent suprise me .But what if we added mabye turkey or arab countries to this list or hey mabye pakistan well mabye there travelling on a briitish passport.The point is the scum of the earth travel to Thailand so dont be suprised by the results.The kind of people i meet on a holiday here are very different i would meet in say the maldives.I THANK U.

At least someone's brave enough to say it. A quote somewhere on this board mentioned the prevailing attitude of Thai's towards foreigners had turned to "mild hostility". Is it any wonder?

I remember a conversation I had with a very reasonable Thai chap in his fifties on a bus between Roi-Et and Bangkok. His impression was Thailand had attracted criminals and the socially unacceptable. Above all he seemed disappointed rather than angry.

geeeee........... you have a lawless corupt society with hookers on every corner ....... what kind of people did your friend think that was going to attract ? social workers or christians ? LOL

The reason he is sensible enough to be dissapointed and not angry is because he knows Thailand brought this on itself not that it was forced upon it by everyone else

Edited by MrRealDeal
  • Like 1

If the U.K required a clean criminal record in order to be issued a passport, the number of Brits in Thailand was decrease by about 90%

For every 1 decent Brit I've met here, I've met another 9 low life degenerates.

And if you are offended by that statement, then you are most probably part of the latter. ermm.gif

At least someone's brave enough to say it. A quote somewhere on this board mentioned the prevailing attitude of Thai's towards foreigners had turned to "mild hostility". Is it any wonder?

I remember a conversation I had with a very reasonable Thai chap in his fifties on a bus between Roi-Et and Bangkok. His impression was Thailand had attracted criminals and the socially unacceptable. Above all he seemed disappointed rather than angry.

I'm sure the Spanish and Americans feel the same way.

most likely to be detained in Spain, followed by the USA, then Thailand.

If the U.K required a clean criminal record in order to be issued a passport, the number of Brits in Thailand was decrease by about 90%

And if you are offended by that statement, then you are most probably part of the latter. ermm.gif

Not offended just amused how someone can be so simple.

Agree with this. On the eastern seaboard the British are generally violent, aggressive, threatening and abusive. Sorry if that does offend anyone but that's my experience.

• Like 1

Agree with this. On the eastern seaboard the British are generally violent, aggressive, threatening and abusive. Sorry if that does offend anyone but that's my experience.

And that is just the people working and in management......................ermm.gif

The tourists seem to be quiet drunks......................wink.png

Your unproven statistics,contain more holes than a Cullender,and just as useless.I would have expected better from you.

I'm glad I don't go to the same places that you do.

SC

B&BBB

I would ban and blame baked beans. A one week waiting period to buy baked beans will take care of it.

B&BBB

I would ban and blame baked beans. A one week waiting period to buy baked beans will take care of it.

Blame it on the beans, blame it on the Guinness, blame it on the dog, but don't strike a light...

SC

geeeee........... you have a lawless corupt society with hookers on every corner ....... what kind of people did your friend think that was going to attract ? social workers or christians ? LOL

The reason he is sensible enough to be dissapointed and not angry is because he knows Thailand brought this on itself not that it was forced upon it by everyone else

I don't disagree with that either.

To the best of my knowledge, I know one missionary and no active criminals, although I believe a few of my acquaintances may be active tax-dodgers

I don't know what company you keep

SC

Maybe things will be different when you're released from Bang Kwang!

• Like 1

Not all Brits are bad people and some of us travel with pride and dignity with respect for cultures in the country we travel too. I do agree with some of the previous points people have made but I hope the numbers are more than one in 10 that us Brits are good travellers. I'm over in two months and can't wait to be over to your great country.

These reports usually attract a slag-fest towards Brits yet I cannot recall ever seeing similar stats from other countries in order to truly compare. A number of posts seem to come from US citizens who perhaps need reminding that the second most common reason Brits are here is because we couldn't get any further away from America without the help of the European Space Agency:)

Edited by evadgib

These reports usually attract a slag-fest towards the Brits each year yet I cannot recall ever seeing similar stats from other countries in order to truly compare. A number of posts seem to come from citizens from North America who perhaps need reminding that the second most common reason we Brits are here is because we couldn't get any further away from the Americas without the help of the European Space Agency:) [sC: My bold]

Makes one wish we'd not been so rude about the French, eh?

SC

Not all Brits are bad people and some of us travel with pride and dignity with respect for cultures in the country we travel too. I do agree with some of the previous points people have made but I hope the numbers are more than one in 10 that us Brits are good travellers. I'm over in two months and can't wait to be over to your great country.

There are many respectable Brits. But the sad fact is that drinking is such a big part of the culture over there that the average man/woman generally has strong vagabond tendencies.

A poor diet of fried foods, beer, and ITV Granada mean that by the age of 21 the typical Brit is usually already sporting a beer belly, and a couple of missing teeth.

However, in their defense, many just appear to be vagabonds due to their poor English speaking abilities and general unkempt appearance.

The U.K. is similar to Thailand in a sense. There is a minority of well spoken, educated people, while the rest are typically commoners.

There are many respectable Brits. But the sad fact is that drinking is such a big part of the culture over there that the average man/woman generally has strong vagabond tendencies.

A poor diet of fried foods, beer, and ITV Granada mean that by the age of 21 the typical Brit is usually already sporting a beer belly, and a couple of missing teeth.

However, in their defense, many just appear to be vagabonds due to their poor English speaking abilities and general unkempt appearance.

The U.K. is similar to Thailand in a sense. There is a minority of well spoken, educated people, while the rest are typically commoners.

I fink you ave a point there geeza,wiz wordz from youze,the aves and the ave nots sorta thing.