Hornets - Bastards

Old Croc

There is a big, active hornet's nest on a lampost near our place:

post-18822-0-27411200-1342758952_thumb.j

The occupants are large black and yellow hornets.

A couple of weeks ago my GF was stung on the head when working in the garden nearby. She became very distressed with the pain and even thought she may die. It transpired her brother up country had recently been hospitalised after three stings from these things. Application of ice on the sting settled her down.

They can attack in numbers and people have been killed.

The guy who works for the local village as a sort of handyman (forgotten his title) and is supposed to handle these sort of problems, was contacted, but wouldn't touch it because it was in the electric wires.

This morning, a local farang walking his dog was also attacked and received 5-6 stings. He was last seen hotfooting it away while frantically removing his shirt.

What can be done to kill the bastards without stirring them up to attack mode?

An old, country, Thai guy nearby says they're on the move and the problem will go away. I'm not so sure.

Edited by Old Croc

Call a pest control company although they may not be interested as its at the top of a electricity pole and hard to get to or get away from

We have a nest on our top eves, the people who repaired our roof said they will kill them after dark when they return to do work on the house

roof next door

I had similar nest next to my home. The nest was there for few months and then it just disappeared. I'm not sure if someone went to destroy the nest (very unlikely) or what did happen to it. One day when I went to see the nest, it was not there.

If someone with lots of nature knowledge says the problem is going away, then that's likely to happen.

Then again.. for a fast solution, you can call for TOT to add another phone line to your home :)

I would get the BB gun out and keep chipping away at them, (hunter shop in Phuket town has them) maybe even do like a 'sitcky' bomb style maneuver, attach a shitload of bungers (available at the Phuket gun store) to the nest at night using some sort of adhesive like grease ...attach a long wick.....and then blow them to kingdom come.

Please get a video if you chose one of those 2 methods

• Like 1

I think we need to do the Phuket meeting, now that we have some action as well.

Snamos is shooting the nest with BB-gun while hansgruber is poking it with an stick.

Meanwhile the rest of us are sitting under an mosquito net, taking video of the event and drinking beer bought from local 7/11.

Sounds like a plan?

Edited by Guest

Or even better...get a super soaker and fill it up with petrol....hit it at night, then wooshka

The electricity and cable goes down in Chalong often enough now without nuking the main lampost.

There has to be some casualties in war.

Snamos is shooting the nest with BB-gun while hansgruber is poking it with an stick.

Meanwhile the rest of us are sitting under an mosquito net, taking video of the event and drinking beer bought from local 7/11.

Sounds like a plan?

But then it will be South Phuket.

Sounds like a plan?

i'm in, date and time please

Sounds like a plan?

I'll have to go and purchase a quality BB gun, the one i have now is only good for soi dogs at 10-15m.

Sounds like a plan?

I'll have to go and purchase a quality BB gun, the one i have now is only good for soi dogs at 10-15m.

That's far enough.

Sounds like a plan?

lamppost are not that high, are you chicken out?

Sounds like a plan?

But then it will be South Phuket.

I think that the entertainment value to see this is greater than the distance.

Ive been doing some research and one method sounds interesting,strangely enough they hate techno,rap, but most of all karaoke,played at high volume late at night and they will comit kamikaze on your boom box.

It has occured to me in the past to become the karaoke sniper of phuket,what a superhero I would be! exploding heads right on that drunken high note.w00t.gif

No, no everybody, believe you me, GOM has experience with this type of thing.

The neighbor Thai handyman took a long pole, wrapped a rag around it, put some lighter fluid on the rag, lit it up, then took the long pole with burning rag on the end and lit the nest on fire.

As oilinkini mentions GOM was standing there, cocktail in hand taking in the whole matter with amusement.

So it flames up and then all of a sudden comes apart and the whole thing falls to the ground, well now not so amusing and Grumpy is a runnin as i don't want to get stung. Few minutes later I stick my head back out and old boy is harvesting the grubs out of the nest. Good eating he says, tastes like chicken.

And there ya go !

• Like 1

No, no everybody, believe you me, GOM has experience with this type of thing.

The neighbor Thai handyman took a long pole, wrapped a rag around it, put some lighter fluid on the rag, lit it up, then took the long pole with burning rag on the end and lit the nest on fire.

As oilinkini mentions GOM was standing there, cocktail in hand taking in the whole matter with amusement.

So it flames up and then all of a sudden comes apart and the whole thing falls to the ground, well now not so amusing and Grumpy is a runnin as i don't want to get stung. Few minutes later I stick my head back out and old boy is harvesting the grubs out of the nest. Good eating he says, tastes like chicken.

And there ya go !

These bastards don't even let people walk their dog underneath let alone tolerate being poked with a flaming stick!

No poking OC, he just let the flames come up from below, and the thing took off burning on it's own.

But this was in a tree, in looking at the photo not sure how the fire would impact those wires....................................

Maybe the nest would crack apart and fall before any real damage.

No poking OC, he just let the flames come up from below, and the thing took off burning on it's own.

But this was in a tree, in looking at the photo not sure how the fire would impact those wires....................................

Maybe the nest would crack apart and fall before any real damage.

Thats why i suggested bungers....have you considered gassing them? Get some CO2 from somewhere....this is definately a job for amatuers. Proffessionals would take all the fun out of it....please take a video of it when its destruction time

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Using fire, the plastic wire protections would probably melt. Shouldn't this be taken care by the electric company? I bet they would not be so happy if someone would put the fire under the wires.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on the situation?

No, still haven't done anything, and the nest seems bigger than when I photographed it. I'm worried about setting it alight as it looks like it would burn like hell and melt the wires.

I see the hornets flying around in the garden all the time, but nobody else has been stung.

I swatted one away with my hand the other day, it just shook it's head and came back at me, but pissed off when I waved a stick at it. Another one got too close for comfort when I was showering (outdoors), but settled for a drink of water from the fish pond instead.

A Thai neighbor is still trying to get someone from the village to get rid of it.

• Like 1

Any updates on the situation?

No, still haven't done anything, and the nest seems bigger than when I photographed it. I'm worried about setting it alight as it looks like it would burn like hell and melt the wires.

I see the hornets flying around in the garden all the time, but nobody else has been stung.

I swatted one away with my hand the other day, it just shook it's head and came back at me, but pissed off when I waved a stick at it. Another one got too close for comfort when I was showering (outdoors), but settled for a drink of water from the fish pond instead.

A Thai neighbor is still trying to get someone from the village to get rid of it.

Have your video recorder ready...it will make sensational footage

• 2 weeks later...

As R is still being stung get yourself a couple of cans of crack and crevice spray with the long directional nozzle and leave them in handy places outside

When you see a wasp/hornet spray directly on in,you need to do this 2 or three tomes as they are aggressive and will fly towards you, do not turn and run keep spraying until they fly away and die

We have a nest and this is what i do and have never been stung