Pm Yingluck Urged To Exclude Alcohol Deal From Fta With Eu

webfact

I am pretty sure that our domestic homeboys can't wait to switch from Lao kao to a decent bottle of chateauneuf du pape... Just hope it doesn't have a to negative impact on them

Many years ago and new to Thailand, Thais and Thainess, I opened a bottle of 18yo, single cask GlenMorangie. It was appreciated, really. With lots of cocacola and soda that is. I managed to pour one or two centimeters in a small glass for myself, before the rest was gone. Wastefull shame.ermm.gif

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

I am pretty sure that our domestic homeboys can't wait to switch from Lao kao to a decent bottle of chateauneuf du pape... Just hope it doesn't have a to negative impact on them

Many years ago and new to Thailand, Thais and Thainess, I opened a bottle of 18yo, single cask GlenMorangie. It was appreciated, really. With lots of cocacola and soda that is. I managed to pour one or two centimeters in a small glass for myself, before the rest was gone. Wastefull shame.ermm.gif

Pearls and sows comes to mind...

Well, even with an FTA agreement in place the German bubblies, Weizengebräu etc. will not be able to compete with the local stuff. As long as non-alcoholic beeers (Veltins, Krombacher, Clausthaler) are taxed as beers, although they contain only 0.001% alcohol, it will not be possible to avoid 250'000 new boozers. Question is; will the opt for the German non-alci stuff or remain with the Changs and the Singhs (if they can afford) or the Lao Khao, Lao Laos etc. which fall under the category of "local firewaters"?

So if I understand correctly, this means we get cheaper wine/beer from abroad - can't be a bad thing! The import tax here has put a hefty premuium on imported booze - which many of us are quite partial too, including middle-upper class Thais.

Thai booze here is cheap enough, if kids wanted to start drinking they would drink the cheaper stuff first, and no matter what deal they make, wine / beer from EU will never be cheaper than Thai brands. They can't blame imports for more pis*ed kids!

...and then also foreign countries get cheaper Thai beer to go in the local Thai/ Indian take aways and supermarkets - also can't be bad!

With world economy going to sh*t, more will turn to comforts of booze and other sin products, a safe investment and another good idea from da PM. Bring it on!

Gee, you don't think that the "Big 2-3" splashing their THAI brands on the shirts and stadiums of so many high-profile professional sports teams might encourage some young people to drink, do ya'?

I 100% agree with all who say this is about money rather than health.

"Dr. Thaksaphon explained that many young adults fall victims to advertisements and unethical marketing strategies, which include cheaper sale of alcoholic beverages and easy purchase."

Then control the advertising and marketing of these companies, you fool!

They (governments) always manage to 'miss the mark', don't they...

When the EU finally is going to treat others the same as they treat us ?

Imagine...tax on a bottle of wine: 19 % , compared with TH: 425 % total.

Other foods from TH into here: 2.4-8,9% import duty, but.. EU foods imported into TH: 30-60%

And.. I do not mention the environmental costs, waste recycling etc EU manufacturers have to do, whilie in TH it is dump it aside of next door.

WHEN we would do so, the Euro deficit is solved in a few weeks.

OK, countries like TH will be back 50 years of so.

Back in my drinking days, I always thought it was strange that I could buy Corona beer here in Thailand cheaper than I could in Phoenix, Arizona, which is only about 90 miles from the border with Mexico. burp.gif

w00t.gifblink.png That an absolute dead-sin, coca cola, soda. My condolences.

It is more likely that including alcohol in the FTA would be good for tourism and tax collection. Young Thais don't normally buy imported European wines etc but tourists do and are usually shocked and pissed off when they find how much they cost in Thailand. The importers have a huge incentive to cheat on the Revenue and Excise Departments as many, if not most, products could not be sold at a viable price in Thailand, if declared at true value. This involves the importers in going to the expense and trouble of having their own export companies in the countries of origin which sell the products to the Thai importer for less than cost price to save some of the ludicrous 400%+ Thai taxes. There is also a huge amount of graft paid to Thai customs officials to look the other way. Meanwhile, of course, all Thai big shot corrupt politicians import expensive French wines they know nothing about but have to have to show off to other corrupt politicians by the case load without paying any duty. If tax and duty were reduced to realistic international levels and charged by the litre, rather than landed cost, the Revenue and Excise Departments would undoubtedly collect more tax, since it would not longer be worthwhile for the importers to set up the convoluted, costly schemes used to save tax. The Customs Department would make less, however.

Edited by Arkady