'It'S Time To Face And Talk,' Thaksin

Lite Beer

'It's time to face and talk,' Thaksin

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has called for talks about his return to Thailand, Bloomberg reported on Friday quoting Thaksin interview given to Channel News Asia.

"We can speak Thai together, we can talk open heart. What do you want? What do you worry about?"

Thaksin said in a clear message to critics who he said have turned him into "Dracula" because under his backing, parties won the past five general elections.

He said his return was being blocked by his opponents, arguing it was high time for a negotiated reconciliation.

In his point of view, the root cause of the political conflict is "those who benefit from full-fledged democracy want to bring it back while those who fear democracy may be developed to far resist it," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-20

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have one colour -- Thai colour : Thaksin

JAKARTA: -- Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is waiting for national reconciliation to happen before he returns to his homeland.

Thaksin said this in an exclusive interview with Channel News Asia on the sidelines of the Strategic Review Forum in Jakarta on Tuesday.

Thaksin may be far from home, but home is never far from his mind.

"I can go everywhere in the world, except my homeland. Why? I should be able to go to my homeland, my motherland. But now every country welcomes me, except my motherland," he said.

"(This makes me) feel bad. There’s something wrong, (and) that is the big misunderstanding (between the Thai political factions). It’s time to face and talk."

Thaksin also says it was time for forgiveness. "I forgive everyone. Don’t worry that they might you know, insult me with verbal, or with legal, or whatever. I forgive them all. I just want to be part of Thai society. I want to live my normal life," he said.

At the Strategic Review Forum in Jakarta, Thaksin called for a highly-controversial amnesty, which he says is key to long-overdue reconciliation in Thailand.

"I want to see reconciliation. I want to see peace and unity in Thailand. I will bring my people and come together with those who are against me and then we will do something. We will try to find something that we can have activities together," he said.

Thaksin said South Africa’s Nelson Mandala served as an inspiration for him.

"If you were to remember, Nelson Mandela used rugby as the vehicle for the blacks and the whites to come together and play together. South Africa has a very good rugby team until now," he said.

"We might do something that can create the activities that those can come together with no colours. We have one colour -- Thai colour."

The fugitive former premier says Thais want to move on from the current political divide.

"They want reconciliation. ... They want Thailand to be like in the old days, that we are the Land of Smiles. We can smile to each other, we don’t have to ask: you are red or you are yellow?"

The Thai government, led by Thaksin’s sister Yingluck, has put forward reconciliation proposals, but the parliamentary vote on these have been postponed due to political tensions.

It seems Thaksin may have to wait a little longer before he can go home.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-20

He said his return was being blocked by his opponents

He could have picked any of 1,439 days since he chose to skip bail to return to Thailand.

yes I don't know what he speaks about. Of course he is able to come to Thailand.

Most probably he wouldn't even go into jail as his brother in law wouldn't arrest him.

Thaksin promises to come home only if reconciliation materializes in Thailand

BANGKOK, 20 July 2012 (NNT) - Ex-Premier Thaksin Shinawatra said he is waiting for the reconciliation process to materialize in Thailand before returning to his motherland.

According to Singapore's Channel News Asia website, Mr. Thaksin gave an interview to a reporter in Jakarta, talking about his returning home. The report said the self-exiled former Prime Minister is waiting for the people in Thailand to have unity first.

Mr. Thaksin said he can now travel anywhere in the world except to his own country. He explained that he is not welcomed in Thailand due to misunderstandings. According to him, he is willing to forgive everyone; all he want is to be part of the society and to live a normal and happy life in Thailand.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-07-20 footer_n.gif

Only so I don't have to go to jail. Hahahahaha. Pathetic.

You can face and talk Thai during your appeal, once you return to you country of birth and go to jail. How easy is that ? If you had balls you would have done this by now and more than likely been released from jail. Then the grudge holders get thier chance to deal with you. giggle.gif

Edited by coma

So - who is it that is blocking his return?

How is that block actually being implented?

Who is it he wants to negotiate/talk with?

I like this: "Who is it he wants to negotiate / talk with?"

- And, what would the agenda /rules of the negotiation be?

- And, who would the negotiations apply to?

- And, no doubt there would be open public involvement in the discussions / negotiations with a watertight guarantee of no harrassment.

- And, how does this all advance quality democracy in Thailand and provide clear benefits to ALL Thais? After all he did say yesterday that the gains in Indonesia are because of democracy, therefore he could be the champion of democracy and insist and oversee that all the pillars of democracy are build to be strong and all the check and balance mechanisms are strong and protected and transparent in Thailand, and he could be the champion who put a stop to vote buying and pushed hard for long-term policies with the welfare and development of ALL Thais paramount. He could start with the law, demanding that all citizens must respect the law totally at all times and all citizens get equal justice.

Edited by scorecard

Only so I don't have to go to jail. Hahahahaha. Pathetic.

You can face and talk Thai during your appeal, once you return to you country of birth and go to jail. How easy is that ? If you had balls you would have done this by now and more than likely been released from jail. Then the grudge holders get thier chance to deal with you. giggle.gif

If he would have balls and the people love him like he claims, he would just come back and don't go in jail, because his brother in law controls the police. So which policemen would arrest him.

He explained that he is not welcomed in Thailand due to misunderstandings. According to him, he is willing to forgive everyone; all he want is to be part of the society and to live a normal and happy life in Thailand.

Misunderstanding! Willing to forgive! Live normal and happy life! Poor chap, no justice in this world wink.png

:thumbsup:

"due to misunderstandings" is the funniest of the injustices.

:lol:

"If you were to remember, Nelson Mandela used rugby as the vehicle for the blacks and the whites to come together and play together.

Mandela also did jail time.

Not the only major difference.

Wolfie Kodesh explains the bombing campaign led by Mandela: "When we knew that we [sic] going to start on 16 December 1961, to blast the symbolic places of apartheid, like pass offices, native magistrates courts, and things like that ... post offices and ... the government offices. But we were to do it in such a way that nobody would be hurt, nobody would get killed."

Mandela said of Wolfie: "His knowledge of warfare and his first hand battle experience were extremely helpful to me."

I thought he was free to return to Thailand any time he chose to do so. His sister is PM, his cousin is FM, his ex brother in Chief of Police and he's even been given a Thai passport so he can get through immigration without any hassle.

How much easier could it be?

Edited by bigbamboo

He said his return was being blocked by his opponents

He could have picked any of 1,439 days since he chose to skip bail to return to Thailand.

Mandela also did jail time.

Thaksin's 1,439 days as a fugitive is a good jump on Nelson's 9,855+ days as a prisoner.

I thought he was free to return to Thailand any time he chose to do so. His sister is PM, his cousin is FM, his ex brother in Chief of Police and he's even been given a Thai passport so he can get through immigration without any hassle.

How much easier could it be?

I think he's waiting for some one to buy him a ticket,,, i say we do a whip round and get him a ticket..........to the North pole.

He can can back any time he wants

His return is not being blocked by anyone

All he has to do is return and serve is jail term

Then go thru the due process for the rest of the charges he faces

Time some guy in dubuy mans up ... ooppps he ain't no man

• Like 2

He can can back any time he wants

His return is not being blocked by anyone

All he has to do is return and serve is jail term

Then go thru the due process for the rest of the charges he faces

Time some guy in dubuy mans up ... ooppps he ain't no man

That's defamation. K. Thaksin is a man, an ugly one at that some female friends told me, but a man I agree with the rest though wink.png