Phuket Vs Yangon (Myanmar) - Same Same .. But Different

simon43

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds pretty cool actually, most people say that is the next “happening” place, I guess we shall see in a couple of years.

Anyways what’s the deal with the business opportunity out there? Are there any bars or restaurants owned by any westerners?

It sounds pretty cool actually, most people say that is the next “happening” place, I guess we shall see in a couple of years.

Anyways what’s the deal with the business opportunity out there? Are there any bars or restaurants owned by any westerners?

More like next 20 years. These things always move very, very slowly.

how's the law can buy land, house, condo, start company? and have thais any advantage in these areas or the same as us?

have a look at any South East, North, Central Asian or mainly muslim country and the answer is NO. from Japan to the sands of the kalahari westerners cannot own land in a foreign country......its a western tradition to let foreigners take your sovereignty

If you are talking about Yangon (Rangoon) - shouldn't you be comparing it to Bangkok????

It will be interesting to see in the future when all of the positives you list above, are on one, or several, of their tropical islands. It will be like Phuket was 20 years ago, without all the BS that is here now. Not to mention, it's affordability. Something that many retirees will have to consider in the future as their pensions/currency exchange shrinks, or fails to improve.

When the Burmese labourers in Thailand here about the employment oppurtunities, by foreign companies setting up in Myanmar, they will leave Thailand, in their masses. Then, I'm not sure who is going to do "all the hard work" in Thailand. Maybe this is one reason for all the construction going on here, NOW, because labourers will be hard to source in the future.

I agree with most of what you stated in your post, except for the girls being more "rotund." That was not my experience, but then again, I was drinking in the more expensive places, although it was still extremely cheap.

Can you tell us about your employment restrictions? Do you need a work permit etc? Did you have to go through all the BS like you have to in Thailand? If stated before, if they are going to let foreigners serve beer in their own bar, that could make things interesting in the future.

Also, can you describe your accommodation and how much rent you are paying for it?

Mrs wants to see snow and they have it there

where?

just found some on google earth, Khakaborazi National Park

this is a bit off topic but according to this http://www.asterism.info/parks/khakaborazi/ 'Kakaborazi, the highest mountain in Myanmar with 29,698 feet in the height'

i think that would be mount everest

Edited by stevehaigh

Perhaps you are not aware that Thaivisa recently started a Myanmar forum. Above questions should be asked ---> http://www.thaivisa....-myanmar-forum/

Hoping this thread will keep going as the OP is a Phuket Forum local.

Interesting information indeed and agree the comparison might be better with Bangkok than Phuket.

Regarding beaches looks like you need to go either east or west, east looking closer.

Thanks Simon ! Sure, the hotel business should get going in the next few years.

Give it 5 years and with all the countries interested in investing money there now it will become a major tourist destination

We will be going there once there infrastructure improves, Mrs wants to see snow and they have it there

Another member frequently posts he believes it will be 20 years, he has again in this thread.

I agree with you Peter, I'll give it 5 years and they will be pinching tourist from Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia and possibly Bali.

Several multinational companies are already gearing up to start up operations there and they are giving it 3 to 5 years to be in full production/operation. Check the below link for one example.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-15/coca-cola-announces-will-return-to-myanmar-after-60-years.html

I believe Myanmar is rich in mineral resources as well. I would expect mining companies would want to invest, immediately, and this will bring instant phenomenal wealth which will be spent on infastructure. One must remember, Myanmar boarders China and India, the world's most populated countries, who are currently very resource hungry. Less transportation costs etc to supply resources to them.

This is a good article, for anyone interested, especially the section on Myanmar law being based on the British legal system, incorporating the British Commom Law.

http://www.mmtimes.com/2011/business/560/biz56004.html

I will be keeping an eye out for the laws they introduce regarding foreign ownership of land and foreigners working in Myanmar. In my opinion, exciting opportunities may exist there in the near future.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

where?

just found some on google earth, Khakaborazi National Park

this is a bit off topic but according to this http://www.asterism.info/parks/khakaborazi/ 'Kakaborazi, the highest mountain in Myanmar with 29,698 feet in the height'

i think that would be mount everest

That's right mate there is snow there, watched a documentary on the ASEAN channel and there are lots of interesting things to see

The road to the mountains is in pretty poor condition but that will soon change with all the

foreign investment pouring into the country

With the prices Simon is quoting anyone can afford a holiday there

My missus also wants to see snow.

I opened up the freezer compartment of the fridge and showed her. Much cheaper than flying somewhere to see the same thing.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 2

I opened up the freezer compartment of the fridge and showed her. Much cheaper than flying somewhere to see the same thing.

Our freezer compartment is frost free so looks like Burma to see the snow and other things

• Like 1

Lots of relevant questions which indeed, are best answered on a Myanmar-dedicated forum, such as on hiburma dot com

My comments on this thread are more to do with a comparison between living in Phuket and living in Myanmar - and also (relevant to my own business), owning a hotel business.

Last year Air Bagan announced direct flights between Phuket and Yangon, but these never came to fruition. But I think the chances of direct flights are much greater now, perhaps even with Air Asia.

I'm not in Yangon to specifically sound out business and hotel opportunities - that will have to wait until I have both investment money and experience of the Burmese business environment.

Of course, the immediate, major difference that I notice, apart from the lack of motorbikes, is the availability and low cost of public transport, ranging from lowly pedalos through public buses and vans to private taxis. There is even a commuter rail system. Can you ever imagine Phuket with a decent and cheap public transport system.

This morning, I spotted my first 2 foreign tourists! A couple of hippy types in the market....

The lack of police (in uniforms) seems strange. Everything seems to work in a chaotic sort of way, but there are no police to control the traffic, no police to stop and ticket traffic infringements, none to be seen anywhere.... maybe Yangon is a very law-abiding place, (whilst walking on slum side-streets at night, I have no fear of being mugged here - the atmosphere seems very safe)

Simon

• Like 2

No good for you anyway mate, you do not go anywhere without your computer and in most areas there computers do not work

Been going to Burma off and on over the last 30 years.

The reason Simon is not seeing police uniforms is that most of the police are in plain clothes. Trust me, there are thousands of them.

In addition to all the under-cover police, there is a wide network of police informers. This is how the powers-that-be have kept the general population so docile for so long.

PC, where do you get the idea I take a computer everywhere with me? Only at work.

Edited by KarenBravo

Is there 7-11s there?

Hope so don't want to be paying to much for a Leo!! Lol

I thought you were going out to the car races.....im out and about now.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Just back only went for a taster, may go back later for a few capongs!!

Go to Nakitas next Friday and if both you and Snamos are there i will buy a pair of water pistols and you can have a duel