You pretty much got a choice of AEON, AEON, or AEON. I won't say every Thai bank ATM charges the 150 baht foreign card fee (maybe only around 99.9% of the ATMs) since I've seen a few posts (just a few) where apparently a few ATMs in certain locations in Bangkok didn't charge a foreign card fee but these were also banks which have operations worldwide. Summary: use AEON ATMs whenever possible to save yourself the 150 baht foreign card fee....and this don't mean your home country bank that issued your card still ain't going to charge you a fee(s) it just means you won't be hit with the 150 baht fee also....salt in the wound so to say.

I always wonder why Aeon is free? Is it an oversight?! Or are they trying to draw in the farang cash? Only problem with Aeon is there aren't many around and they often have long line-ups. Best to get there before 3 pm.

I always wonder why Aeon is free? Is it an oversight?! Or are they trying to draw in the farang cash? Only problem with Aeon is there aren't many around and they often have long line-ups. Best to get there before 3 pm.

AEON isn't actually a bank, but a Japanese credit card company. No oversight, and they do have quite a large Thai customer base. Could be their credit terms or loans, no idea about details there.

"I always wonder why Aeon is free?"

The 150 Baht Thai usury fee was levied by the Thai Bankers association two or three years ago. AEON is a Japanese company and the only company with ATMs in Thailand that is not a member of the Thai Bankers Assn.

Citibank also has fee free withdrawals in Bangkok only if you have a Citibank debit card.

Aside from these two, all other ATMs charge the 150 Baht usury fee. Schwab Bank in the USA reimburses the fee if you have a brokerage and bank account with them. E-Trade does also, but they charge a 1% VISA network fee.

There was an extensive Thai-Visa thread on this subject a couple of years ago that covered all the details and options.

• Like 1

Go inside the bank and ask them to do it manually and you wont pay any fee at all regardless of bank.

Just need your passport for ID.

This is great for drawing larger amounts and then you do it less often too.

Why do some banks charge a certain fee while others don't, why do some banks charge a low fee on a certain service why others will charge a high fee, etc? Answer: it's just the conscious business decision and fee structure of that bank for whatever reason(s)....plus as mentioned AEON is a Japanese company vs a Thai company. I like and use AEON ATMs whenever possible for withdrawals from my U.S. accounts.

Edited by Pib

Aeon it is so! Any ideas of locations of these in BKK.....Are there any at the airport?

Can I just ask if anybody has had trouble with the AEON ATM in new BigC (Ex Carrefour) in Chiang Mai. My card keeps getting rejected with a message 'Please refer to your card issuer'. Because of the 150Baht fee I don't want to try my card in other ATMs. I'm having to use the bank counters at the moment and they don't seem to have any problem with the card.

Aeon it is so! Any ideas of locations of these in BKK.....Are there any at the airport?

Can I just ask if anybody has had trouble with the AEON ATM in new BigC (Ex Carrefour) in Chiang Mai. My card keeps getting rejected with a message 'Please refer to your card issuer'. Because of the 150Baht fee I don't want to try my card in other ATMs. I'm having to use the bank counters at the moment and they don't seem to have any problem with the card.

Is your Visa/Mastercard a "Cirrus" network card? I think Cirrus is the one network AEON don't accept.

Try to use another atm card. was it successful? Try at a different time of the day. Or check at your bank issuer....it could have a soft block or something on the bank side.

Another tip for the AEON atm: you can only pull 1000 baht increments for a non-AEON atm card. But you get a maximum of 40000 baht per pull. So assuming that your card has the appropriate limit (or you can call the bank and request a temporary/permanent limit increase), there's quite some savings you can achieve over the 20,000 or 25,000 maximum pulls at Thai bank atms, and 150 baht per pull.

My card was rejected at Airport Plaza today with the same message. I would say I get that result about half the time I try using an Aeon ATM and never at any other ATM. I walked over to a Bangkok Bank ATM and had no problem. I use Schwab so they picked up the 150 baht fee. I feel bad making Schwab pay the 150 baht fee, but I'm tired of wasting my time at Aeon machines.

I have a Schwab debit card...use it all the time with AEON ATMs...no problems at all. Since your card works about half the time with AEON ATMs maybe the magnetic strip on the card is partially damaged and whatever card reader AEON ATMs use are having problems reading the card. Years back I had a Bank of America credit card that would only work about half the time when swiping it...got a replacement card...problem gone.

Edited by Pib

Is your Visa/Mastercard a "Cirrus" network card? I think Cirrus is the one network AEON don't accept.

The card was working up to a couple of weeks ago in the Aeon machine but the last two times I tried to use it I got that message and my card was rejected. Because it's a UK issued card it's a bit of a problem deciding if my card is damaged or the ATM is acting up. As I mentioned the bank counter staff accept my card and issue money on it but they can't tell me where the problem is.

Maybe when the bank staff use the card the transaction coding is different compared to an ATM withdrawal. Or the card magnetic strip has a problem/is going bad which the AEON ATM can no longer read with its controlled swipe when the card enters the ATM compared to a counter staff hand swipe/re-swipe which works in their POS type machines and/or manual computer entries of the card info.

Maybe when the bank staff use the card the transaction coding is different compared to an ATM withdrawal. Or the card magnetic strip has a problem/is going bad which the AEON ATM can no longer read with its controlled swipe when the card enters the ATM compared to a counter staff hand swipe/re-swipe which works in their POS type machines and/or manual computer entries of the card info.

Thanks for answers, I was just asking in case anybody else had a similar problem with this ATM. I wanted to avoid the hassle of getting new cards in the post due to all this recent credit/debit card related crime.

I have a Schwab debit card...use it all the time with AEON ATMs...no problems at all. Since your card works about half the time with AEON ATMs maybe the magnetic strip on the card is partially damaged and whatever card reader AEON ATMs use are having problems reading the card. Years back I had a Bank of America credit card that would only work about half the time when swiping it...got a replacement card...problem gone.

My Schwab ATM card was rejected at 4 different Aeon ATMs in CM over the past year. It worked fine 2 weeks ago at the same Airport Plaza machine that rejected it today. I've used it 50 times around the world in the past year and it has never been rejected by any other machine.

I believe Cirrus is the same as Maestro. I use my Maestro Card at AEON all the time and it works just fine.

I believe Cirrus is the same as Maestro. I use my Maestro Card at AEON all the time and it works just fine.

They are different but Maestro and Cirrus do seems to be joined at the hip for many things. The reasons I say Cirrus network cards may not work in AEON ATMs is because when Capital One switched its debit cards to the Cirrus network although the cards also had the Mastercard logo on the front, apparently a person could no longer withdraw from those ATMs that did not use Cirrus (i.e., AEON) but you could still do Point of Sale (POS) buys/transactions since that transaction flowed throw the Mastro network. It's like the Maestro network was used for POS transactions and Cirrus for money withdrawal/ATM transactions. Thai bank ATMs do use the Cirrus network along with other networks.