Most & Least Respected Foreigners In Thailand

thelongshoot

That would depend on whether you are Malay, Chinese, or Indian in extraction.

My comment on Singaporeans was meant to refer to Chinese Singaporeans only.

I see. I'm a Singaporean of Indian descent.

Then to Thais you are an Indian, nothing more / nothing less.

Hmm. But going there every 3 months over the past couple of years, I've never experienced any stereotypical behavior towards me.

Especially not in the English-speaking Thai circles but maybe that's a different kind of community.

Recently I've learnt to speak Thai as well, so I've been speaking more often to Thais who don't speak English. And similarly I haven't had any negative experiences based on me being "Indian".

then <deleted> are you asking us about what thais think of singaporeans for then, you speak thai, go ask then yourself.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then <deleted> are you asking us about what thais think of singaporeans for then, you speak thai, go ask then yourself.

Haha! You should relax, maybe drink a glass of water.

Anyway as I mentioned I've had no problems so far in dealing with Thais who speak English, so I wanted to know if there is something that others here know that I don't.Also, I've only recently learnt to speak Thai. But yes, I'll ask them myself too.

Edited by Chads

Anyway as I mentioned I've had no problems so far in dealing with Thais who speak English, so I wanted to know if there is something that others here know that I don't.Also, I've only recently learnt to speak Thai. But yes, I'll ask them myself too.

i think one thing they really dont like about singaporeans is starting topics as useless as asking farangs what we think Thais think of singaporeans.... ;)

i think one thing they really dont like about singaporeans is starting topics as useless as asking farangs what we think Thais think of singaporeans.... wink.png

Or maybe take more walks out in the sun? I hear that helps too wink.png

As noted above, perceived status and manners trump ethnic stereotypes every time. If you appear and behave in a way that communicates that you are a quality person, that is the way they will treat you.

Hmm yes, I believe I've been polite to everyone I meet. And thank you for being nice too smile.png

i think one thing they really dont like about singaporeans is starting topics as useless as asking farangs what we think Thais think of singaporeans.... wink.png

Your high post count concerns me.

Perhaps you haven't read enough here yet. laugh.png

I'll try to be more sensible, but try to read between the lines. I'll be more direct, and not as cynical, but it's not easy.

How'd we get to singaporeans?

Everybody needs some group to dislike till they get to known you personally, or, at least, casually. Then it can go either way. So, it comes down to who you are, not where you're from. That even goes for those from the Empire.

Edited by Shotime

Explain how.

"Khun" is an honorific.

"Mr." and "Mrs." are neutral...

Mr and Mrs are honorifics too.

All this time I thought that were descriptives.

Mr applies to a man, Miss to a single woman, Mrs to amarried woman, Ms for the PC crowd.

Dr for a medical doctor or also a Doctorate level degree

and so on ...

Where Khun was a title bestowed at our respect to either sex, though more commonly used to show respect to a male.

Explain how.

"Khun" is an honorific.

Mr applies to a man, Miss to a single woman, Mrs to amarried woman, Ms for the PC crowd.

and so on ...

Where Khun was a title bestowed at our respect to either sex, though more commonly used to show respect to a male.

It can mean like Mister: Khun John (Mister John)

It is a polite way of saying "you": khun ja pai nai (where are you going)

It can be very formal or polite meaning like Sir: Khun Tun (Respected Sir; Tun is a polite word indicating social superiority)

Explain how.

"Khun" is an honorific.

"Mr." and "Mrs." are neutral, and do not correspond to "khun", but to "nai" and "nang".

'Nai' and 'nang' haven't been used in normal every day speech by anyone except for news readers and funeral directors for decades and decades.

Edited by Trembly

Explain how.

"Khun" is an honorific.

and so on ...

<off topic shield on>

Sorry but that's just utter horrocks. Khun is used for anyone who is deemed as commanding a bit of respect in any given situation at any time or place, including when ordinary folk feel like being courteous to each other without in any way implying higher or lesser status, for example : "Excuse me! Khun, you dropped this . . . ". Gender has got nothing to do with it.

<off topic shield off>

Khun is used for anyone who is deemed as commanding a bit of respect in any given situation at any time or place, including when ordinary folk feel like being courteous to each other without in any way implying higher or lesser status, for example : "Excuse me! Khun, you dropped this . . . ". Gender has got nothing to do with it.

My gf arrives in a week so if this thread is still open, happy to reply if she has different information.

But also happy to accept if I am wrong. I don't have an ego about these types of things ...

• Like 1

then &lt;deleted&gt; are you asking us about what thais think of singaporeans for then, you speak thai, go ask then yourself.

Yes, it concerns me also, what to do about it Self Appointed Thailand Expert? thumbsup.gif

What is the point with this thread ?

I have been told that Scandinavians are more popular among Thai girls , because of our natural good looks.

And we have the money too .

I have been told that Scandinavians are more popular among Thai girls , because of our natural good looks.

That's what I've been told as well, though in my case it was Scots. Or Turks. depending on what nationality I claim.

That's what I've been told as well, though in my case it was Scots. Or Turks. depending on what nationality I claim.

What would Iman have to say in this situation?

I wouldn't wish to speculate ... biggrin.png

What would Iman have to say in this situation?

I wouldn't wish to speculate ... biggrin.png

Exackly!

Speaking of speculation and respected foreigners ... I wonder how the two lone Scotsmen, trekking the wilds of Chiang Mai are being embraced by the native population?

Care to speculate?

Perhaps we could set up a separate thread for speculation, as I know it is of some interest to those on the moneygrubbing forum, and as well as those interested in the fates of our Caledonian coposters. We may also speculate from time to time on the identity of the video referee - a rather pointless exercise, as Messrs Rooney and French highlighted, in a conversation quoted in another thread.

SC

Speaking of speculation and respected foreigners ... I wonder how the two lone Scotsmen, trekking the wilds of Chiang Mai are being embraced by the native population?

Care to speculate?

Perhaps we could set up a separate thread for speculation, as I know it is of some interest to those on the moneygrubbing forum, and as well as those interested in the fates of our Caledonian coposters. We may also speculate from time to time on the identity of the video referee - a rather pointless exercise, as Messrs Rooney and French highlighted, in a conversation quoted in another thread.

SC

Caledonian coposters ... cheesy.gif

How do we make that stick?

Maybe the video referee (or the 3rd Unpire as we say in Australia) has captured some footage of them somewhere ... or is that merely speculation.

Relevance to the OP ... tangible proof of them as a sub-species, i.e. of the Caledonian coposter variety, being respected, or not ... rolleyes.gif

Explain how.

"Khun" is an honorific.

"Mr." and "Mrs." are neutral, and do not correspond to "khun", but to "nai" and "nang".

'Nai' and 'nang' haven't been used in normal every day speech by anyone except for news readers and funeral directors for decades and decades.

The question is whether or not a foreigner in Thailand referring to HIMSELF in Thailand as "Khun John" is the same as a Thai overseas referring to himself as "Mr. Wattanakul".

It's not. You shouldn't refer to yourself using "Khun", while it is very common and acceptable to refer to oneself as "Mr." ("Hi, I have a reservation for six, I'm Mr. Smith").

Got it?

Explain how.

"Khun" is an honorific.

The question is whether or not a foreigner in Thailand referring to HIMSELF in Thailand as "Khun John" is the same as a Thai overseas referring to himself as "Mr. Wattanakul".

It's not. You shouldn't refer to yourself using "Khun", while it is very common and acceptable to refer to oneself as "Mr." ("Hi, I have a reservation for six, I'm Mr. Smith").

Got it?

Khun is perfectly acceptable if you speak comfortable Thai. It only sounds stupid if you're trying to be serious when you only seem to speak about 17 words of Thai that is intelligible to anyone, one of them being Khun.

Unless one is attempting to make a clarification one does not refer to oneself by one's honorific without sounding like a retard anyway.

'Watdee khrab, dai jong tee wai samrab 6 mong khrab, chue Smith khrab / Hello, I have a reservation for six, the name's Smith.

Kha, Khun John Smith na kha . . . choen daan nee kha / Mr. John Smith? Certainly sir, this way please.

Certainly not nai or nang as you suggested as the analogue for Mr. or Mrs. That would be the Thai equivalent of verbally referring to yourself as "Mr. John Smith, Esquire".

Clear?

laugh.png

Edited by Trembly

Khun is perfectly acceptable if you speak comfortable Thai.

Really? You think it's acceptable to refer to oneself as "Khun John"?

"Hi, I'm Khun John. Nice to meet you."

Really now?

Comprehension fail. Re-read my previous.