Is It For Real, To Sell My Car, Need A Residency Certificate?

Warlock

Hi all,

I would like to give my car to my wife, and my wife just called transport ministry and they said I need to bring passport and residency certificate from immigration.

is it for real? isn't any other easier option to give/sell my car. I mean im not on 1 year extension right now, so immigration wont give me this paper, they gonna tell me to go get it from my embassy, what i really dont want, my embassy only give this paper if i will register in with them, what I do not want.

So is there any way to sell/give my car to somebody without the need to have address certificate.

or should i just walk in with my wife and put some tea money in the clerks hand and all will be ok?

You need residence certificate from immigration, also available at your embassy, or a workpermit.

I would go to immigration, there is no telling whether you'll get it there or not, here on Phuket e.g. also people on a tourist exempt entry can get it.

Myself and my family will be moving back to the UK permanently in January as our child is to start her education there. We are currently in the UK but will be returning to Thailand in October to tie up loose ends and sell the family car which I purchased from new approx 5 years ago.

With regard to the Residency Certificate I presume that the only way to get this is if you have a non O visa. My problem is that when I bought my car I had a non O on the strength of having a Thai child and therefore had no problems obtaining the certificate. Now there appears to be a new rule regarding unmarried fathers of Thai children not being allowed the non O visa anymore so how will I be able to sell the vehicle that is in my name?

Some people have reported still obtaining the visa despite the new rules so I am still hopeful but in the event that I cannot obtain the visa here in the UK it would appear that I will be ''up the river without a paddle'' so to speak.

Would I still be able to get a Residency Certificate on a one entry 90 day non O?

If I am forced to leave the UK early for Thailand in September and enter a few days before the expiry of my existing Non O visa is it safe to assume that I will still have access to this Residency Certificate despite the fact that I am on my last 90 days of the visa which will have expired by the time I get to an immigration office?

Edited by brizzle

What is a residency certificate...is it not the same as the form /letter you need to get your driving license?..

Usually must be filed by owner within 24 hrs of arrival at a residence/hotel ( business only... doubt smaller businesses do it somehow) .

Had to get one recently from immigration to renew my driving license, wife had to fill in the form and they gave us a copy for vehicle license people. Immigration lady tried to tell us that wife must fill form every time I arrive back home after 90 day visa run...Gov web site says only for businesses.

Think you could get this bit of paper regardless of type of visa?.

Edited by David006

Never understand why people don't get there address certificate from the Town Hall... Always get mine there, easy was put on the computer about 7 or 8 years ago, so only need to pop in and ask, it is printed out with a new date on within 5 min., biggest wait can be seeing the Junta to get the big red seal stamp.... bought 5 cars/pickups, sold 4 cars/pickups, always use this address certificate for renewing my drivers licences + is FREE

If your wife has a Blue House book get the address certificate from there.

Myself and my family will be moving back to the UK permanently in January as our child is to start her education there. We are currently in the UK but will be returning to Thailand in October to tie up loose ends and sell the family car which I purchased from new approx 5 years ago.

With regard to the Residency Certificate I presume that the only way to get this is if you have a non O visa. My problem is that when I bought my car I had a non O on the strength of having a Thai child and therefore had no problems obtaining the certificate. Now there appears to be a new rule regarding unmarried fathers of Thai children not being allowed the non O visa anymore so how will I be able to sell the vehicle that is in my name?

Some people have reported still obtaining the visa despite the new rules so I am still hopeful but in the event that I cannot obtain the visa here in the UK it would appear that I will be ''up the river without a paddle'' so to speak.

Would I still be able to get a Residency Certificate on a one entry 90 day non O?

If I am forced to leave the UK early for Thailand in September and enter a few days before the expiry of my existing Non O visa is it safe to assume that I will still have access to this Residency Certificate despite the fact that I am on my last 90 days of the visa which will have expired by the time I get to an immigration office?

Normally you should be able to get proof of address on a single entry visa.