Second Shipment Of 730,000 Tablet Computers Arrive In Thailand

webfact

My sincere apologies Buchholz.

Incidentally the links you provided don't actually prove your point in anyway...

There's a reference to a statement made by our "point man"... but no promise that they would instantly deliver 11,000,000 tablets...

"We will try to give tablet PCs to all students in primary and secondary school," he said, adding that vocational students would also get the tablets...

But the 11,000,000 and the instant delivery seems to be your fabrication... much like the 1% 1-2% 2% less than 2% etc etc etc whistling.gif

Edit. Fear not, I won't get petty about you editing my post in your quote...

The 11 million comes from the quote regarding all primary, secondary, and vocational students. That's approximately how many primary, secondary, and vocational students there are.

Additionally you forgot to include the rest of the quote regarding the pledge... and the time frame:

"Education Minister Woravat Auapinyakul pledged"

"by May"

as for the "instant" part... that's your own fabrication. The pledge from the Education Minister *not Buchholz* to deliver 11 million tablets by May was made.... last year in December.

The < 2 % is no fabrication. It is the reality of that pledge versus what's on the ground in the last part of July.

We will try is now a firm indication of a promise? Not where I come from.... we will try means just that, we will try, no definitive confirmation of numbers, no binding promise, no contractual agreement. I like the way you have chopped up what was said and then applied your own loose interpretation of his statement both to numbers and the nature of the statement.

Regardless, tablets are arriving and they haven't simply brushed the scheme under the carpet as many parties would have down having achieved their goals and been elected...

Possibly because there are 4 million dollars to earn. If you dont know what I'm insinuating then look up the extra $1 for delivery. Added to the contract just before it was finalized.

But yes some are being delivered so know we will see how they sort out the apps. Class room infrastructure and learning content.

Ps. I do not have a copy of the contract dictating the back hander. Sorry biggrin.png

sent from my Wellcom A90+

No problem, I'm used to you throwing out libellous statements with no evidence, it's becoming quite a hobby of yours... when reasoning fails simply throw some mud around... coffee1.gif

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ferangled. Just following the lead from your Red heroes :(

So I take it you believe there have been no back handers in this project then?

Edited by thaicbr

Ferangled. Just following the lead from your Red heroes sad.png

Which heroes would those be? Steven Gerrard? Robbie Fowler?

If I have expressed any hero worship in any of my posts please quote me rather than simply slinging more irrelevant mud around...

So now your reasoning consists of someone else did it so I can do the same? How far does that logic go I wonder... your reasoning gets cloudier by the day!

And the answer to the question asked?

What question? Oh I see, you've edited your post after I quoted you... again! I prefer to deal with facts rather than speculative assumptions...thumbsup.gif

So how would you get facts in an illegal corruption situation?

With that thinking corruption hardly ever happens in Thailand then.

I was asking your opinion. Simple yes or no.

Just because your quick to answer. I can't edit my own posts! Well ok then.

Edited by thaicbr

What question? Oh I see, you've edited your post after I quoted you... again! I prefer to deal with facts rather than speculative assumptions...thumbsup.gif

Quite obviously you obtain evidence of the alleged corruption to prove there is a case to answer so that you can bring the case to court, rather than throwing around wild speculation which is considered libel/ defamation thumbsup.gif

Quite obviously you obtain evidence of the alleged corruption to prove there is a case to answer so that you can bring the case to court, rather than throwing around wild speculation which is considered libel/ defamation thumbsup.gif

"Quite obviously..." [warning bells are ringing...] ermm.gif

Would these be the same courts we were just discussing in another thread? A sudden transformation! A renewed faith in the integrity of the legal process?! Good to see. wink.png

And when we subject such issues to "wild speculation", now it is libel/defamation. We have come a long way in just a few minutes, haven't we? thumbsup.gif

Looks like we agree on more than you thought smile.png

Edited by Reasonableman

Would these be the same courts we were just discussing in another thread? A sudden transformation! A renewed faith in the integrity of the legal process?! Good to see. wink.png

And when we subject such issues to "wild speculation", now it is libel/defamation. We have come a long way in just a few minutes, haven't we? thumbsup.gif

No transformation, we're back to showing impartiality and following due process...thumbsup.gif

If there is a case to answer provide evidence, take it to court and pray! Engaging in mudslinging and wild speculation without any basis in evidence is what has brought Thailand to it's current political mess. If you have some evidence you can bring to light on the forum that supports your view, your comments become more than speculation and some basis for discussion is formed.

I'm not saying the court will be impartial and give a valid judgement, the reality is probably the opposite, some of the judgements we have seen in the past stink of deliberate perversions of justice, but what alternative is there? A complete descent into anarchy? Clearly corruption is widespread not just in Thailand but some charade of legal process is preferable to vigilante justice... surely?

• Like 1

No transformation, we're back to showing impartiality and following due process...thumbsup.gif

If there is a case to answer provide evidence, take it to court and pray! Engaging in mudslinging and wild speculation without any basis in evidence is what has brought Thailand to it's current political mess. If you have some evidence you can bring to light on the forum that supports your view, your comments become more than speculation and some basis for discussion is formed.

I'm not saying the court will be impartial and give a valid judgement, the reality is probably the opposite, some of the judgements we have seen in the past stink of deliberate perversions of justice, but what alternative is there? A complete descent into anarchy? Clearly corruption is widespread not just in Thailand but some charade of legal process is preferable to vigilante justice... surely?

A good if not complete answer to the question.

Do you think that there was/ is corruption in THIS tablet project. Just a personal view point. Yes. No

Surely you do have views on different subjects that you dont necessarily have hard proof on?

also if people didn't discuss and suggest the possibility of corruption surely it would NEVER get uncovered.

I notice in that picture they have at least 4 members of staff for 1 class.

And there was me thinking Thailand had a teacher shortage .

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

Photo op, my dear!

Nah. Photo op they stand behind a group of smiling kids. This one they look like they are running around sorting things out (which is good biggrin.png)

I wonder what school it is. Would be nice if the journalists gave some more background info.

like do the kids take them home?

Pictures of infrastructure like charging bays etc.

You guys better get used to the idea, the tablets are arriving, they appear to be far superior to your expectations, they could well prove to be beneficial in the education of Thai children

Your constant request for instant appraisal of the implementation is starting to look like your noses are out of joint....grow up and move with the times......if you can

• Like 2

Photo op, my dear!

Nah. Photo op they stand behind a group of smiling kids. This one they look like they are running around sorting things out (which is good biggrin.png)

I wonder what school it is. Would be nice if the journalists gave some more background info.

You guys better get used to the idea, the tablets are arriving, they appear to be far superior to your expectations, they could well prove to be beneficial in the education of Thai children

Your constant request for instant appraisal of the implementation is starting to look like your noses are out of joint....grow up and move with the times......if you can

I'm glad they are here and the spec is reasonable. If implemented correctly they will be beneficial in some way. What curriculum. Apps etc.

But it would still pay to keep an eye on the project. Personally I would still have liked to see it going to slightly older kids who would have a better chance of looking after them and understanding their uses. Because while a decent spec they haven't been designed with young kids in mind. But I may be wrong.

Photo op, my dear!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I'm glad they are here and the spec is reasonable. If implemented correctly they will be beneficial in some way. What curriculum. Apps etc.

But it would still pay to keep an eye on the project. Personally I would still have liked to see it going to slightly older kids who would have a better chance of looking after them and understanding their uses. Because while a decent spec they haven't been designed with young kids in mind. But I may be wrong.

The moderation of your views of this scheme is both refreshing and welcome. It is good to see that someone who is evidently sceptical of this project and it's implementation, manages to remain open minded as to the possible benefits these could provide to students that get to use them. thumbsup.gif

My 4 year old uses my wife's Samsung Galaxy constantly and has amazed me at how quickly she has surpassed my wife's competency with the device. We have found a great number of really fun, educational apps for her enjoyment and the only issue I have found is limiting her time on it. I think this is important in the implementation of schools because as it is there is far too little focus on sports and exercise.

We limit her to a maximum of 1 hour a day, in half hour bursts. My main fear in schools is that teachers with a lazier disposition than others will simply hand them out and leave the kids with them 8 hours a day, expecting the tablets to teach the class for them...

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

What an intellectually stimulating and constructive comment. Thank you.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Well, i know that whatever I try, I will never be anywhere near your "grandeur". So I laugh....It is a simple way to show my good mood, and also what I think of the comment above! I know you like to write pages and pages, I don't.

And just for you to feel happy, here is for you cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Well, i know that whatever I try, I will never be anywhere near your "grandeur". So I laugh....It is a simple way to show my good mood, and also what I think of the comment above! I know you like to write pages and pages, I don't.

And just for you to feel happy, here is for you cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Looks like you could do with a tablet with some educational apps yourself mate.biggrin.png

The moderation of your views of this scheme is both refreshing and welcome. It is good to see that someone who is evidently sceptical of this project and it's implementation, manages to remain open minded as to the possible benefits these could provide to students that get to use them. thumbsup.gif

My 4 year old uses my wife's Samsung Galaxy constantly and has amazed me at how quickly she has surpassed my wife's competency with the device. We have found a great number of really fun, educational apps for her enjoyment and the only issue I have found is limiting her time on it. I think this is important in the implementation of schools because as it is there is far too little focus on sports and exercise.

We limit her to a maximum of 1 hour a day, in half hour bursts. My main fear in schools is that teachers with a lazier disposition than others will simply hand them out and leave the kids with them 8 hours a day, expecting the tablets to teach the class for them...

Ferangled. My views haven't really moderated. I still believe this project is flawed and the money could be better spent.

I am extremely happy that your little one enjoys using a tab. I would expect all to be the same.

but imagine in 40 student classroom. How easy to control/teach?

I hope the MOE can also find some fun educational apps.

I'm fairly certain your fear about lazy teachers will not happen. As the battery only lasts 6 hours :lol::D

Ferangled. My views haven't really moderated. I still believe this project is flawed and the money could be better spent.

I am extremely happy that your little one enjoys using a tab. I would expect all to be the same.

I'm fairly certain your fear about lazy teachers will not happen. As the battery only lasts 6 hours laugh.pngbiggrin.png

And this program is anyway going to be a short one, as the percentage of breakdown, breakage, and other problems are soon going to put a fair number of these tablets out of order. No replacement or fixing will be done. If a few month/years if these tablets are still functional, they will be so much outdated that they will simply be put aside and forgotten.

Edited by saltandpepper

I'm fairly certain your fear about lazy teachers will not happen. As the battery only lasts 6 hours laugh.pngbiggrin.png

And this program is anyway going to be a short one, as the percentage of breakdown, breakage, and other problems are soon going to put a fair number of these tablets out of order. No replacement or fixing will be done. If a few month/years if these tablets are still functional, they will be so much outdated that they will simply be put aside and forgotten.

I kinda disagree with the statement 'a few months' a few years yes. That's the nature of this technology. As for warranty repairs. Hopefully no problem. But repair for damage. Dropped. Broke on/off buttons. Water damage ( Thailand has 3 mth rainy season. Which we're in)

I dont know what the parent/student contract says.

As for 'out-of-date' that's relative. Assuming the programs developed for the educational curriculum don't change too often, it doesn't matter at all that the tool you run the program on is deemed old-fashioned.

At home I have a PC with PentiumIV,1.6Ghz, 384Mb memory, 40/40/80Gb disks, TrueOnline 8Mb/512kb and (most) of what I want works. Some businesses in Thailand still use DOS-based programs. Ridiculous? Well, "if it works, why touch it'" seems the motto. Mind you a somewhat bigger investment is needed when finally after 20-odd years things break down wink.png

In todays ""Yingluck's Government Meets People" program "PM Yingluck said

"As for the tablet computers handed out to first graders in government schools under the One Tablet Per Child (OTPC) project, the premier said that the next step of the government was to expand public WiFi internet hotspots to 200,000 locations by early next year.

She said that at the moment, there were some 40,000 WiFi hotspots serving over 300,000 users. (MCOT online news)"

Thailand Live Saturday 28th #20

"As for the tablet computers handed out to first graders in government schools under the One Tablet Per Child (OTPC) project, the premier said that the next step of the government was to expand public WiFi internet hotspots to 200,000 locations by early next year.

She said that at the moment, there were some 40,000 WiFi hotspots serving over 300,000 users. (MCOT online news)"

Sweet ...

It's not just about the kids.

This will force a build-out of the infrastructure, too. Good for the kids, and good for everyone.

Sweet ...

It's not just about the kids.

This will force a build-out of the infrastructure, too. Good for the kids, and good for everyone.

Of course.

This called growing the country.

Astonishing that people on here try to denigrate advance and improvement.

• Like 2

Just for the record

From the urgent policies to be implemented in the first year:

"1.15 Procure tablet PCs for schools by initially distributing tablet PCs to first-year primary school students for the 2012 academic year, as well as expeditiously develop appropriate content in accordance with the approved curriculum that can be installed into the tablet PCs. Provide wireless internet services free-of-charge in public areas and educatinal institutions."

http://www.thailandtoday.org/node/509

Just for the record

"1.15 Procure tablet PCs for schools by initially distributing tablet PCs to first-year primary school students for the 2012 academic year, as well as expeditiously develop appropriate content in accordance with the approved curriculum that can be installed into the tablet PCs. Provide wireless internet services free-of-charge in public areas and educatinal institutions."

Which they have done or are doing. Wireless internet held up by commercial struggle between telecommunication groups. So what was your point?

Just for the record

Which they have done or are doing. Wireless internet held up by commercial struggle between telecommunication groups. So what was your point?

Thank you for your interest in this subject, dear phiphidon. I know you like to check if a poster has a (valid) point in his/her post.

Well, in this case I think I do. The PM suggested today in her show that with the tabletPc project ongoing niely, now the government can start expending wifi spots. Dear Tom even suggested 'this will force a build-out of the infrastructure, too.' The 'urgent policy to be implemented in the first yar 1.15 suggests both tabletPc and wifi spots are to be done in parallel. I'm not even complaining that 'for the 2012 academic year' which started May 2012, we now have about 134,000 received, but most still being tested and not in the hands of kids. I'm also not complaining about schools without electricity (with 2000 less than 10% anyway), nor about lack of wifi or other type of internet acccess, not even about lack of other preparations schools and teachers may need to do.

BTW when does the first year finish?

Just for the record

Thank you for your interest in this subject, dear phiphidon. I know you like to check if a poster has a (valid) point in his/her post.

Well, in this case I think I do. The PM suggested today in her show that with the tabletPc project ongoing nicely, now the government can start expending wifi spots. Dear Tom even suggested 'this will force a build-out of the infrastructure, too.' The 'urgent policy to be implemented in the first year 1.15 suggests both tabletPc and wifi spots are to be done in parallel. I'm not even complaining that 'for the 2012 academic year' which started May 2012, we now have about 134,000 received, but most still being tested and not in the hands of kids. I'm also not complaining about schools without electricity (with 2000 less than 10% anyway), nor about lack of wifi or other type of internet access, not even about lack of other preparations schools and teachers may need to do.

BTW when does the first year finish?

They have done or are doing for 1.15 about as much as they have done or are doing for 1.1 on the list.

1.1 Foster reconciliation and harmony among people in the nation and restore democracy

If you know Thai teachers then you'll be well aware of how these tablets will generally be used. To make the teachers jobs easier. As a babysitting tool. As replacements for absent teachers. For fun and games. Until they break.

2 popular Thai teaching methods:

1. Chuai tam: teaching by doing it for them (quicker and more beautiful, no explanation required).

2. Chuai bot: teaching by telling them exactly what to do, minimizing mistakes (and thought processes).

These tablets are good news for Thai teachers, more than students.