Thailand Education Removes English Requirement

mowgus

English is the language of international business (there is no disputing this). No language in the world has ever come close to being spoken by so many people and dominating all aspects of communication between people – across all fields. Even Japanese and French companies communicate in English oversees (that’s an argument ender right there). It would be impossible to change this.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Education Ministry has scrapped a plan to make English the country's second language, saying it could lead to misunderstandings that Thailand had been colonised in the past.

Nationalism will get you every time.

Where did you pull that quote from Whistleblower?

I googled it. It is 2 years old though. sorry

Of course the point of English is not to talk to the English, it is to be able to go almost anywhere in world and be able to find someone that can understand you, likewise of many nationalities that come here quite a few can speak some English. Just being able to speak Thai is almost useless as a travelling language.

As to Mandarin, probably a good idea as a 3rd language, suspect though for Thais learning Mandarin, they would be sqeezed out of jobs by the Thai-Chinese.

After living in thailand for 5 years I've noticed all Thais use English in general conversation. There isn't even a Thai word for apple.

It should be the second language and should be mandatory in every school from at least age 3.

Yes there is, it's 'appen'.ing

chinese gets my vote , for the future universal language .

p.s. all farangs who choose to live in thailand ,

should be reqd to learn speak thai.

nee ow .