When To Pee And When To Nong

canuckamuck

Aneliane I'll cut to the chase and stop beating around the bush. If you genuinely think that the use of Pi in Thailand is becoming some sort of tongue in cheek form of address as the old ways supposedly die out as opposed to a completely everyday way that millions of Thais from small kids up and all from all areas and all walks of life address their familiar elders then I'm afraid you're talking complete and utter <deleted>.

Though of course your insistence in another thread that Sakorn Nakorn wasn't in Isaan and that according to you they've only just started eating dog meat means that maybe your finger isn't on the Thai pulse as much as you think.

Sorry.

It's my experience which is different from yours.

That's what make the forum interesting ?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aneliane I'll cut to the chase and stop beating around the bush. If you genuinely think that the use of Pi in Thailand is becoming some sort of tongue in cheek form of address as the old ways supposedly die out as opposed to a completely everyday way that millions of Thais from small kids up and all from all areas and all walks of life address their familiar elders then I'm afraid you're talking complete and utter <deleted>.

Though of course your insistence in another thread that Sakorn Nakorn wasn't in Isaan and that according to you they've only just started eating dog meat means that maybe your finger isn't on the Thai pulse as much as you think.

Sorry.

And what experiences have you had that support your opinion?

The distinction is important particularly for defining siblings - i.e., nong for younger than you and pee for older. It seems not to be so important in the village but among the Thai staff in our Melbourne Thai restaurants it is used extensively, even by those who are at university together. My wife's friend, who is also a restaurant owner and seemed about the same age as my wife, was calling my wife 'Pee' until surreptitiously, my wife found out that her friend was a few months older than her so, much to her friend’s consternation, my wife started calling her pee and then the truth came out. It was more of a game to them. The difficulty in this is compounded by the fact that it is impolite to ask the age of other person. I also thought that the term for sorry was kor tort krup, not ka tort krup, but I may be wrong.

Edited by Lazybones

Don't get worried about how to spell it. Just copy the sounds a local makes or learn how the Thai letters work to make sounds. I would say the first word is kah or kaw, never kor. but others have their own transliterations which work for their own accent. Brits love to through in r's for aw sounds, which confuses North Americans like me.

Theres quite a few variations, I had an older Thai lady accidentally bump into me once and not seeing who it was said the equivalent of excuse me child - (katord luk) -- made my day :)

I use Pi for older people but not old, then its grandmother or grandfather, or aunt or uncle (depending on the age) nong for younger people and in a purely Southern twist, khai for little boys and mia for little girls .

The more relevant question is how many of you farang have been addressed as "pee" by a Thai who is slightly younger than you?

I'll bet not too many.

If you want to know why not, ask your Thai spouse or intimate partner.

Sorry.

You seem to have totally different experiences to most people. Those Sois off On Nut where Farang aren't welcome are certainly original.

The more relevant question is how many of you farang have been addressed as "pee" by a Thai who is slightly younger than you?

I'll bet not too many.

It is rare that I am not referred to with pee - then my name, so I would love to know your take on the subject.

I'll bet not too many.

English teachers? rolleyes.gif

I'll bet not too many.

It is rare that I am not referred to with pee - then my name, so I would love to know your take on the subject.

Regularly. In fact it was a tad distressing the first time I was referred to as Yai by my great niece. I would suggest that if you aren't referred to as Pi then its simply down to you and your integration into the community around you than anything else.

My view is that most pretty girls do not mind being called nong rather than pee but as they get older they value the respect that the proper pronoun gives. Of course there is a period of uncertainty when they do not want to admit to getting older and prefer to be called nong.

My wife relises that I prefer my neices to call me loong rather than being refered to as a grandfather. Most officials refer to me as Khun Loong.

So, SBK, after 800 views since my post, only 2 TV members report being addressed as "pee."

I guess that proves my point.

Thais almost instinctively determine the age of a new Thai acquaintance (of the same generation) in order to determine who has to refer to the other as "pee" or "nong". This interaction does not normally occur between Farang and Thai, especially when the Farang is slightly older.

Ask some Thai friends if you doubt the accuracy of this observation.

So, SBK, after 800 views since my post, only 2 TV members report being addressed as "pee."

Thais almost instinctively determine the age of a new Thai acquaintance (of the same generation) in order to determine who has to refer to the other as "pee" or "nong". This interaction does not normally occur between Farang and Thai, especially when the Farang is slightly older.

Are you suggesting its a lack of respect or an inability to determine age? Most Thai people guess my age as soon as they hear how long I have lived here although I did get one lovely guy who asked if I had moved here as a small child. :)

As for khun, farangs don't use the term, it's for Thais.

I wouldn't agree with you on that, whilst my staff terms refer to me as Khun Toad (amongst other things behind my back, I'm surelaugh.png ), I will use Khun with certain staff or in certain situations. I don't thinks it's going over the top, and it doesn't hurt to show politeness. I have had to tell some of the staff to stop calling me Sir, which is really annoying.

Khun Gop?

Actually, this suggest that his name is MrFrog.

Khun kankog or similar? Someone who knows the exact word for toad?

Regards

Khun Gob Maa

Edited by Forethat

Hi SBK, I am by no means suggesting that you don't deserve the "pee" references you get.

I am just saying that the the average Farang ex-pat will not be addressed as "pee" especially by new male acquaintances.

It is an "in" thing among Thais that is hard for the average Farang to understand.

'Nuff said

Bernard

I'll bet not too many.

Same here, except when replaced by khun. That usually happens when it's somebody new who doesn't know me. Nongs are our kids + service at restaurant/bar/so on, never had anyone refer to me as nong.

Are you suggesting its a lack of respect or an inability to determine age? Most Thai people guess my age as soon as they hear how long I have lived here although I did get one lovely guy who asked if I had moved here as a small child. smile.png

ermm.gif