New Motorbike Registration

fearless1

If you buy a new motorbike and the dealer asks for a certificate of residence, does that mean they will handle the whole registration process? I’m kind of confused as to whether I will need to still handle the registration on my own in the future when the license plate comes in. The reason I ask is that I know it’s been taking a while to get new plates and I’m concerned I might need to make a second trip to immigration to get the residence certificate. I’m in Chiang Mai and the dealer is Nat’s Honda. They don’t speak much English and the forms are all in Thai, so I can’t really get a reliable answer from them.

I would go with my girlfriend but she is dead set against me getting a bike as she is sure I will end up killing myself.

you only have to ensure its in date prior to the registration application. it doesn't matter after that .

have you ridden a bike in Thailand before if yes just ensure you go carefully and buy the protection. helmet , gloves etc.. what bike are you thinking of?

you only have to ensure its in date prior to the registration application. it doesn't matter after that .

have you ridden a bike in Thailand before if yes just ensure you go carefully and buy the protection. helmet , gloves etc.. what bike are you thinking of?

I've ridden bikes in Thailand. I was looking to buy the PCX, but since I didn't have the residence certificate they wouldn't sell it to me. I thought I only needed the certificate later when the new license plate came in. For some reason I was under the impression that you only purchase from the dealer and when the permanent plate comes in, you had to register the bike.

AP Honda requires all bikes sold by dealers to be registered. I have to send a list to them every month. It is supposed to stop dealers from exporting bikes. For foreigners, we need to submit copies of a passport and a residency certificate to the Land Transportation Department in order to get the bike registered and plated. You can get a certificate of residency from either Thai Immigration or your country's embassy. Work permits usually have your home address. The Land Transportation Department will accept this in lieu of a residency certificate. Best of Luck.

Brian