Audiophiles: Best Stereo Available In Cm

samsara

You might try CD Green on Sukkasem Rd, a kilometer or so past Lanna Hospital and the Lanna Polytechnic. They've got some decent imported name brand stuff there and prices seem reasonable by local standards.

An update: The CD Green shop and restaurant have closed at Sukkasem. The shop is now operated from half of Khun Naht's (?) house in Hang Dong. Still the same great service - they just got tired of the commute from Hang Dong. For directions, call him on 081 882 0795 - he speaks excellent English.

Interesting, ... not venturing to make a purchase immediately, so not willing to call ... but would like to know where the new shop is in HDong, since I pass often. Last time I dropped into the Green the gentleman gave me some good info on the economy of Chinese digital to analogue valve amps that I should follow up on some time.

• Like 1

Interesting, ... not venturing to make a purchase immediately, so not willing to call ... but would like to know where the new shop is in HDong, since I pass often. Last time I dropped into the Green the gentleman gave me some good info on the economy of Chinese digital to analogue valve amps that I should follow up on some time.

what is an "digital to analog valve amp"? Im Guessing an DAC with a valve (pre) amp output, otherwise it would be a house filling monstrosity if valves were doing the digital conversion.

Valves are very low-fi, don't know why anyone would want to use them unless you are trying to deliberately change the original sound.

what is an "digital to analog valve amp"? Im Guessing an DAC with a valve (pre) amp output, otherwise it would be a house filling monstrosity if valves were doing the digital conversion.

Valves are very low-fi, don't know why anyone would want to use them unless you are trying to deliberately change the original sound.

Valves are very "low fi"??? LOL, I have used them in my business for more than 35 years now and there is no technology that comes close to being as high-fidelity as valve technology! There is a HUGE valve revival all over the world right now and the trend is getting more an more popular.

Valves are very "low fi"??? LOL, I have used them in my business for more than 35 years now and there is no technology that comes close to being as high-fidelity as valve technology! There is a HUGE valve revival all over the world right now and the trend is getting more an more popular.

they are what they are, good for guitar amplifiers and distortion effects for the same reason that makes them garbage for hi-fi amps.

"Sod's Law" for me..... I live about 30 secs walk from the original shop. Now that I need to sort out some repair/replacement issues for my kit, they're not there. Spoke to him on the 'phone today and he gave me what sounds like a good tip for a place to go for amp/CD player repairs (called Future - just before Makro next to Superhighway) after Amorn had told me "Oh, too old - cannot". I may yet get some new kit through him, so I plan to pay a call down in Hang Dong. As and when I have, I'll post the location/outcome etc. I think he's happy enough to advise (if you decide to call) - he obviously loves his subject. Naturally, it wouldn't be fair to abuse the privilege......

Valve Amps are better for the same reason as a 100$ Monster optical cable is better than a 10$ Radio Shack optical cable.

None but Peace of mind.

they are what they are, good for guitar amplifiers and distortion effects for the same reason that makes them garbage for hi-fi amps.

LOL. Garbage for hi-fi amps. Sorry but you haven't got a clue. I've got 35 years of experience in designing, building, and using valve amps professionally.

Edit: There is obviously a glitch in the new TV software as I never wrote most of the stuff that shows you quoted me.

Edited by elektrified

LOL. Garbage for hi-fi amps. Sorry but you haven't got a clue. I've got 35 years of experience in designing, building, and using valve amps professionally.

Edit: There is obviously a glitch in the new TV software as I never wrote most of the stuff that shows you quoted me.

yeah there is a glitch. Iphone app it seems.

but yeah Instrumentation engineer, yeah I haven't got a clue.

Take any amplifier topology, build an amplifier with both valves and modern components and the amp built with valves will show its age and the amp built with modern components will shine and come in 1/10 the price.

If you want distortion, noise, non-linear frequency/ phase response and micro phonic feedback then use valves.

If you want to reproduce the source signal and amplify it without all of that garbage, go modern components.

Or unless you want it to survive an EMP from a thermonuclear detonation.

Odd thing is, 5 years ago I thought class-d amps couldn't match a good class a/a-b, probably good enough to run a sub-woofer. now if your source is digital you should be seriously looking at them. The amp is the DAC.

I don't think that's true, and I'm someone who is 'in the industry'. I run an A/V company here in Thailand and can't think of any time in the last 10 years someone has requested valve technology or that I've listened to a Valve setup and thought it's anything special.

Showing all my cards here I distribute the Sonos music system (amongst others) here in Thailand, we don't have a dealer here in Chiang Mai yet but seeing as I have moved up here I'm sure we will be doing something up here at some point.

Don't get me wrong I love a bit of analogue audio, it's just people are looking for easy to use and reliable, which isn't really valve.

I don't think that's true, and I'm someone who is 'in the industry'. I run an A/V company here in Thailand and can't think of any time in the last 10 years someone has requested valve technology or that I've listened to a Valve setup and thought it's anything special.

Showing all my cards here I distribute the Sonos music system (amongst others) here in Thailand, we don't have a dealer here in Chiang Mai yet but seeing as I have moved up here I'm sure we will be doing something up here at some point.

Don't get me wrong I love a bit of analogue audio, it's just people are looking for easy to use and reliable, which isn't really valve.

The popularity of valves is primarily in components that each cost more than what most people would consider paying for an entire stereo system. That “high end” of the market might be easy to mock as unscientific, delusional, a waste money or whatever, but many of the people who buy those products are happy with their purchases. While it’s to be expected that a distributor of mid-fi products such as Sonos would have a negative opinion about that segment of the market, it’s very strange that someone “in the industry” would be unaware of it. Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 1

^ Very Interesting. I'm moving into new digs this month, and would appreciate some advice on a digital set-up around the house. Possible to arrange a consultation?

The popularity of valves is primarily in components that each cost more than what most people would consider paying for an entire stereo system. That “high end” of the market might be easy to mock as unscientific, delusional, a waste money or whatever, but many of the people who buy those products are happy with their purchases. While it’s to be expected that a distributor of mid-fi products such as Sonos would have a negative opinion about that segment of the market, it’s very strange that someone “in the industry” would be unaware of it.

mid-fi? Sounds like Hi-Fi snobbery to me,

I'm happy to work with whatever my customers want, it just so happens that has never been valve components. If you've spent a lot of money on valve equipment and are satisfied then I'm happy for you.

The popularity of valves is primarily in components that each cost more than what most people would consider paying for an entire stereo system. That “high end” of the market might be easy to mock as unscientific, delusional, a waste money or whatever, but many of the people who buy those products are happy with their purchases. While it’s to be expected that a distributor of mid-fi products such as Sonos would have a negative opinion about that segment of the market, it’s very strange that someone “in the industry” would be unaware of it.

I'm happy to work with whatever my customers want, it just so happens that has never been valve components. If you've spent a lot of money on valve equipment and are satisfied then I'm happy for you.

No, calling someone a "mid-fi hammerhead" would be Hi-Fi snobbery. But still, how can anyone be "in the business" be unaware of the existence of high-end audio? Fair enough if you think that it's an absurdity, but to be unaware of it defies explanation.

Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 1

No, calling someone a "mid-fi hammerhead" would be Hi-Fi snobbery. But still, how can anyone be "in the business" be unaware of the existence of high-end audio? Fair enough if you think that it's an absurdity, but to be unaware of it defies explanation.

You said there is a HUGE valve revival all over the world, I said that I don't think that's true. I stand by that and personally for me, when I think high-end audio, valve equipment doesn't enter my mind.

I'm sure there are people that enjoy it, just as there are still people who like to listen to Vinyl records, good for them but I don't see either increasing in popularity.

Part of what I mentioned was due to seening a blue ray disc player in HomePro yesterday. Nothing special about that and I have no interest in blueray, but this had two valves at the front of the amp/player. 27k though. Was the valves that made me look. The price made me look away. But still interesting.

Ahhhh..........audiophiles! Is there any more anally retentive group of people on the planet or am I just jealous that after suffering from 20 years of tinnitus I hear even less difference between mid cost speakers and high cost speakers that I did before acquiring my aural affliction.

Part of what I mentioned was due to seening a blue ray disc player in HomePro yesterday. Nothing special about that and I have no interest in blueray, but this had two valves at the front of the amp/player. 27k though. Was the valves that made me look. The price made me look away. But still interesting.

Some time ago I saw a hi fi set at Big C where the amplifier had some tubes mounted on the top. If memory serves right it was les than 6000 Baht for the whole set including cd player and tuner and was from the top brand AJ.

Some time ago I saw a hi fi set at Big C where the amplifier had some tubes mounted on the top. If memory serves right it was les than 6000 Baht for the whole set including cd player and tuner and was from the top brand AJ.

We have customers in Thailand that spend as much as 50K THB for a set of valves for their amps. We have customers in Japan that used to (before their economy tumbled) spend double that. Valve h-ifi equipment is huge right now. Ever popped into one of the high-end audio shops in Bangkok? They have speakers for sale for 300K THB.

We have customers in Thailand that spend as much as 50K THB for a set of valves for their amps. We have customers in Japan that used to (before their economy tumbled) spend double that. Valve h-ifi equipment is huge right now. Ever popped into one of the high-end audio shops in Bangkok? They have speakers for sale for 300K THB.

I don't doubt that people spend that kind of money on audio equipment, but that doesn't define that it is better than new technology.

I'm sure you've read my post #37 regarding the monster audio cables.

And this is not only about audio equipment.

In 1981 I owned a Ferrari 512BB . Worst quality car I have ever owned, oil spraying out of the exhaust at 20.000 km. Try to find one today under 20 million Baht.

People with money simply agree to pay a price for nostalgie.

As Benjie already said some people still like vinyl, and I have an original Technics turntable with a lot of singles and lp's here in Thailand, but the quality doesn't come even near what is produced today.

Edited by jbrain

Audiofiles can certaintly fixate on the minute and argue personal prefrence as absolute fact. God I suffered through the years with endless discussions such as solid copper 'bell' wire versus stranded low capacitance speaker wire....advents vs 10m vs Bose vs Klipsh vs JBLs, 2 way vs 3 way. surround sound, tunable subs....etc... OK for my ear, massive Tanmoy studio monitors with a Macintosh tube power amp (Mackie mixer optional) seemed capable of reproducing most any recorded music with the fildelity of the best recordings.....

But since that would cost more than a car and is double the price to get it here, I could not recommend that setup unless the money trees have left too much piled up all around you...

Mid level systems are greatly improved (IMHO) since back in the day.. and what will sound best to you has a lot to do with your ears and the room you put it in......Best of luck sorting the well meaning advice here.. I'm going to take a tynenol now !!

Back in my UK-domiciled days, I used to buy at least a couple of "hifi" mags a month - avidly soaking up all the lab tests and other articles. I think, like much of such targeted publishing, it's basically porn - but then, I also used to buy gardening books and watch gardening programmes..... all when I had little more than a couple of window boxes. What cured me of the hifi mag habit was when I saw a four-page group-test review of mains cables (just the cables - not noise reduction/surge control units). That really seemed to be going just too far - even for my addiction.

Now I'll wait for others to tell me how blind (deaf) to the all-too-obvious differences I'm being.....