British Ambassador Repeats His Call For Uk Nationals To Exercise Caution When Travelling To Thailand

webfact

British Ambassador calls for 'safety first' when travelling

Phuket Gazette

a1.jpeg

In recent years Thailand has maintained an average of 12,000 deaths per year from road traffic accidents; most involve motorbikes. Photo: Thawit Bilabdullar

a2.jpeg

Make sure you read the small print: riding a motorbike or other activities could invalidate the insurance policy, cautioned British Ambassador to Thailand Asif Ahmad. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- British Ambassador to Thailand Asif Ahamd has repeated his call for UK nationals to exercise caution when travelling to Thailand and to make sure they have adequate insurance coverage when they do visit.

“I have seen the sadness and anguish of victims and relatives after incidents which, if thought through, are entirely avoidable. Like the majority of visitors and residents in Thailand, I hope everyone stays safe and enjoys their time in the country,” Asif Ahmad said.

“Thailand rightly remains an attractive tourist destination and a significant number of people have chosen to become long-term residents. Good planning is the best way to avoid hazards, and insurance for travel and health is essential,” he added.

The ambassador’s comments follows the UK Government’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) listing Thailand as the second most likely country where British nationals would need consular assistance, after the Philippines.

In its annual British Behaviour Abroad Report for 2012 – compiled from data gathered from April 1, 2011 to March 31, 2012 – the FCO noted that British nationals were most likely to be hospitalized in Greece, followed by Thailand. They were most likely to be detained in Spain, followed by the USA, then Thailand.

The report, released last week, shows that the number of British consular assistance cases globally increased by 3%, the number of rapes reported to consular staff increased by 10%, the number of deaths was up by 3% and the number of applications for Emergency Travel Documents rose by 10%.

Of the 296 deaths of Britons in Thailand over the past year, about 75% were residents, many of whom had retired in Thailand.

After natural causes, the second most frequent cause of death was road traffic accidents.

In recent years in Thailand, there has been an average of 12,000 deaths per year from road traffic accidents, of which about 70% involved motorbikes. Many accidents are due to poor safety standards of vehicles and drivers. Travelling at night in private or by public transport increases the risk of death or injury on the roads, the report said.

“Medical bills can run to thousands of pounds and the ordinary British taxpayer cannot meet the uninsured costs of fellow citizens who have chosen to venture abroad,” said Amb Ahmad.

“Make sure you read the small print – riding a motorbike or other activities could invalidate the insurance policy. Reading the FCO’s Thailand Travel Advice will help visitors familiarize themselves with local laws and customs, and become aware of scams and potential risks.

“We do recommend travellers to check health requirements to ensure they’ve had all the necessary vaccinations.” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16518.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-07-27

• Like 1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, a lot of people leave their common sense at the airport. A lot of tourists are seduced by the imagination of the copy writer let loose on the tour brochure. Maybe, like packs of cigarettes, the brochures should have to carry information about the risks, not just Thailand but also other Jekyll and Hyde destinations.

These figures don't mean anything unless set alongside the annual figures for tourist-days spent in the respective country. For example, at a rough guess, 800,000 Brits per year staying an average of 10 days in Thailand = eight million tourist-days. Does any other country match that? Spain, maybe?

• Like 1

"Maybe he thinks shaving is dangerous in Thailand? Scruffy representative that has been very quickly replaced, I wonder why?"

I hear there were complaints from members of the British business community that when they attended breakfast meetings at the Embassy, they couldn't get bacon or bangers because his missus has banned all pork products from the Embassy premises.

"Maybe he thinks shaving is dangerous in Thailand? Scruffy representative that has been very quickly replaced, I wonder why?"

I hear there were complaints from members of the British business community that when they attended breakfast meetings at the Embassy, they couldn't get bacon or bangers because his missus has banned all pork products from the Embassy premises.

It's actually a lot worse. Many of the staff at the Embassy can't wait for him to go. Appointing him was simply a poor decision by the FCO which they are obviously regretting and now trying to put right. He doesn't understand the role, but then what do you expect for someone who came from a career of 20 years as a banker!

Britons or 'Britiots' in their late fifties and sixties who marry girls in Thailand and throw their money around are more at danger than guys running around on bikes.

How many Poms marry an Isan girl,move out to Isan,buy/build a house, and are never heard of again ? No stats on that .

sawadee krup

Like some other posters have said...you obviously are aussie and have a problem with poms. the fact that a recent news release regarding more aussies dying in Thailand than in any other country probably biases your view on life.

Maybe you live in pattaya or bangkok wher their isn't a sense of community amongst most farang.

Here in Issarn their is a vibrant farang community that have been extremely lucky to meet ladies who become excellent wives and mates.

Stop being negative and maybe jealous and come here to Issarn to try the experience. You may learn something wonderfull

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

• Like 2

Presumably he is Muslim?

Maybe he thinks shaving is dangerous in Thailand? scruffy representative that has been very quickly replaced, I wonder why?

Maybe he thinks shaving is dangerous in Thailand? scruffy representative that has been very quickly replaced, I wonder why?

He is a Muslim. Muslims wear beards or maybe you did not notice?

Britons or 'Britiots' in their late fifties and sixties who marry girls in Thailand and throw their money around are more at danger than guys running around on bikes.

How many Poms marry an Isan girl,move out to Isan,buy/build a house, and are never heard of again ? No stats on that .

sawadee krup

this really sounds like *(expletive deleted out)* , i'm married myself since 16 years to one of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not dead yet

Edited by Scott

Presumably he is Muslim?

I believe you are correct but quite why that should effect the diet of everyone else dining at the Embassy I don't know... as far as I am aware, as PC as Britain has become, we aren't nationally obliged to adopt the beliefs of our ambassadors...

Personally I detest this sort of imposition of ones individual beliefs on those around them, if it wasn't a minority group but the majority forcing their beliefs on the minority it would be seen as a criminal offence.

• Like 1

A typical lowlife racist remark.

The bit about "scruffy beards" is an unecessary remark based on someone's personal choice.

I've also heard about several complaints about the banning of pork products and alcoholic refreshments from Embassy functions by his wife. Their religious beliefs are their own concern but his wife should not impose her beliefs on other British citizens or functions representing Britain. I have met Asif and exchanged emails with him. He is a good guy, but not a career diplomat and that really shows in an Ambassador's role.

Reminding British tourists of the dangers of hiring motorbikes, drinking too much, getting involved in seedy clubs etc. is always good advice. Although I doubt he deals with many of these personally.

Edited by Baerboxer

sawadee krup

Like some other posters have said...you obviously are aussie and have a problem with poms. the fact that a recent news release regarding more aussies dying in Thailand than in any other country probably biases your view on life.

Maybe you live in pattaya or bangkok wher their isn't a sense of community amongst most farang.

Here in Issarn their is a vibrant farang community that have been extremely lucky to meet ladies who become excellent wives and mates.

Stop being negative and maybe jealous and come here to Issarn to try the experience. You may learn something wonderfull

Back off the Aussies!! you are showing exactly the same Bias judgement as you are accusing this poster of!

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

sawadee krup

Perhaps you would like to quote the source of your undoubted knowledge and the statistics in support? Maybe just as a starter you can post on here some figures for all the Poms that have moved to Isaan and have never been heard of again. Also riding a motorbike is a high risk hazard in Thailand that obviously doesn't apply to you. Furthermore it is also obvious that the extent of your knowledge about Isaan could easily be written on the back of a British postage stamp, with room to spare.

• Like 1

sawadee krup

Perhaps you would like to quote the source of your undoubted knowledge and the statistics in support? Maybe just as a starter you can post on here some figures for all the Poms that have moved to Isaan and have never been heard of again. Also riding a motorbike is a high risk hazard in Thailand that obviously doesn't apply to you. Furthermore it is also obvious that the extent of your knowledge about Isaan could easily be written on the back of a British postage stamp, with room to spare.

Don't worry, He's from, is in, Scunthorpe. laugh.png