Sakari Generator

There was some discussion a month or so ago regarding generators and it was mentioned that Homepro

supply a Sakari generator which would certainly meet my needs.

The one I'm interested in is the EC3000 CXS and I wonder if there is anyone who has any experience

with this model and any views regarding reliability/spares etc.

I think that it is made in China and might have a licence built Honda engine, but can't be sure.

It produces about 2.8 Kw.

Also available is a Honda built Generator which is around 5000 Baht more but

does not have electric start and only produces 2Kw which will probably end up around 1.5 Kw but

knowing how reliable the Honda is I am in a dilemma as to which one would be best..

I do not need automatic switchover and it will be wired in to some of the house circuits. I'm a bit worried that the power produced by the Honda may only just be adequate for some lighting, a fridge freezer and water pump.

Grateful for views please.

It all depends on the water pump you have(power consumption), do you really need to pump water during a power outage?

If you plan to take a hot shower during a power outage , these generators won't be enough, you need to have a look at 6KW and preferably diesel generators.

I have the same brand - but bigger. For reliability - it has been golden. (Probably the kiss of death.)

My neighbour has a similar size to the one that you are looking at and it runs his lights/fans/fridges (4) and will run the hot water heater OR the cooker. No a/c.

It has broken down a couple of times over the years, but Supot electric have fixed it each time.

Here is the valuable bit of info - Buy it from Supot and they will keep it going for you.

Buy it from Homepro and you have to keep taking it back.

Edited by Tropicalevo

I have the same brand - but bigger. For reliability - it has been golden. (Probably the kiss of death.)

My neighbour has a similar size to the one that you are looking at and it runs his lights/fans/fridges (4) and will run the hot water heater OR the cooker. No a/c.

It has broken down a couple of times over the years, but Supot electric have fixed it each time.

Here is the valuable bit of info - Buy it from Supot and they will keep it going for you.

Buy it from Homepro and you have to keep taking it back.

Same as Tropicalevo ( couldn't you pick an easier name wink.png ) I purchased a larger one 11.5 KVA, it's a Sakari with a 2 cylinder Honda engine, all I could get at the time, I was after an 8 KVA.

It has AVR (auto voltage regulator) which I found a blessing as my neighbour ended up cooking a few appliances.But to give HomePro their dues, I had a problem 8 months down the track, 2 HomePro techies, were out within the hour & sorted the problem out. Was told whilst under warranty they would come out & fix it.

Just a bit of a hint, make sure you close the fuel switch & let it run out of fuel before switching it off. On restart just prime the fuel line with your fingers a few times.

Am I sorry I bought the larger one? Never, runs everything , pumps, pool, water heater, fridges etc........Will I ever buy a smaller one if need arose?No.

Whatever you buy don't take it past about 70% of rated load and you'll be fine.

Don't forget to ensure that any change-over arrangements you make must make it IMPOSSIBLE that's IMPOSSIBLE for the generator and mains power to be connected at the same time.

Don't forget to ensure that any change-over arrangements you make must make it IMPOSSIBLE that's IMPOSSIBLE for the generator and mains power to be connected at the same time.

That would be fun.

Essential advice.

My Sakari came with a warning "Do not connect to your house". What they mean is "Do not plug it in to any of your wall sockets.

So just out of curiosity, how does the generator know the PEA power has come back on? Sounds like one could have a double volted shocking experience..... crazy.gifwink.png

It is a simple but effective system.

Your next door neighbour, who has been without power but has had to put up with the noise from your genny, comes around and says "the bluddy power is back on - please switch that noisy thing off."

You switch off, and then go and switch back over to the grid!

Cheap and 100% effective.

It helps to have a back-up neighbour incase the nearest one is on holiday!

• Like 2

Your next door neighbour, who has been without power but has had to put up with the noise from your genny, comes around and says "the bluddy power is back on - please switch that noisy thing off."

cheesy.gif Blimey that's sooo easy! biggrin.png

It all depends on the water pump you have(power consumption), do you really need to pump water during a power outage?

If you plan to take a hot shower during a power outage , these generators won't be enough, you need to have a look at 6KW and preferably diesel generators.

Not if you have stored hot water. The one Spindle is interested in will cope with the demand.

Definitely go for the electric start, trying to start by hand in the heat & dark is no fun at all.

Even better is one with an auto transfer switch so you don't have to lift a finger. But, $$$$$..

We must have the same neighbour.
  • Like 1

Wow! what a wealth of info! Many thanks to everyone for such an informative response.

I did go to Supot but the only Genny they had was 2Kw and was not a Sakari.

Anyway, no one said that the Sakari was rubbish so I will continue my quest in that direction.

Thank you

Spindle.

• Like 1

Wow! what a wealth of info! Many thanks to everyone for such an informative response.

I did go to Supot but the only Genny they had was 2Kw and was not a Sakari.

Anyway, no one said that the Sakari was rubbish so I will continue my quest in that direction.

Thank you

Spindle.

I know Home Mart in Maenam has generators, but not sure if it is the brand you want...... ? could be worth a try..... wink.png

• 8 months later...

I bought a Sakari 6500 in Homepro. Now all the electricians tell me that my house has 3 phases and the generator only one and that they cannot connect it. How did you install the Sakari generator in your house? I just would like to run a few things like water pump, fridge, water heater, gate and a few lights when there is a power break. Do you know an electrician in Phuket who is experienced with this?

Thank you.

I bought a Sakari 6500 in Homepro. Now all the electricians tell me that my house has 3 phases and the generator only one and that they cannot connect it. How did you install the Sakari generator in your house? I just would like to run a few things like water pump, fridge, water heater, gate and a few lights when there is a power break. Do you know an electrician in Phuket who is experienced with this?

Thank you.

You have to install a switching mechanism. I have done that with mine, no dramas, I have never heard of a 3 phase generator, I have a sakari 12.5KVA.

Once you switch the mains over to generator power, it will only supply it's rated capacity. I found the most demanding is some water heaters.

My Generator is one phase - my house is 3 phase. Your electrician needs to use his nut and think a bit.

In my house, the electrician put in a switching box on the cables into the house , and re-configured the 3 phases.

I have to manually switch off the mains, switch to generator and switch the mains back on, but not all phases are now live (a/c etc.)

No major hassle, even my wife can do it.

It will distribute to any phase, as long as you don't overload it. All my phases are split over the house with mix & match, in case of a voltage drop in one phase as it happens not all the floor is out.

Your sparky just extends the 3 phase wiring into a ceramic switching box, all you have to is push the lever up or down depending on the wiring.

Wait till Leckyman comes on line he will tell you. I could be wrong, but like Trop one phase generator into 3 phase system.

You need a manual transfer switch, available at most electrical outlets.

It's basically a switch to change from mains power to generator power.

Mains comes in to the top connections, generator in to the bottom connections & the centre connections go into the MDB in the house.

You can have one or the other, but not both at the same time,

If using a 3 phase switch, on the generator connection (bottom set in this case) you can put a link across to the 2 unused terminals so you do not need to lose the 2 phases.

Note, if you have any 3 phase motors, pumps or compressors, this method will not work for these.

Also note, for Sakari gen sets the biggest cable you can use in the plug is 6mm, so don't try to run everything in the house.

Hope this makes sense for you.

• Like 1

cheesy.gif Blimey that's sooo easy! biggrin.png

Yeah - but do you realise what it costs to get the "good neighbour" option . . . .??

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

You need a manual transfer switch, available at most electrical outlets.

It's basically a switch to change from mains power to generator power.

Mains comes in to the top connections, generator in to the bottom connections & the centre connections go into the MDB in the house.

You can have one or the other, but not both at the same time,

If using a 3 phase switch, on the generator connection (bottom set in this case) you can put a link across to the 2 unused terminals so you do not need to lose the 2 phases.

Note, if you have any 3 phase motors, pumps or compressors, this method will not work for these.

Also note, for Sakari gen sets the biggest cable you can use in the plug is 6mm, so don't try to run everything in the house.

Hope this makes sense for you.

Excellent! In just one post you have sorted out all my confusion. Thanks!

MSN-Emoticon-033.gif

R

Hi Leckyman

you were right, I did not find transfer switches in Homepro or House and Home. Just in case other people in Phuket

need such a switch, I found various versions in a shop with the name Keehin when you drive from the big Tesco

crossing towards the airport, after about a kilometer on the left (108/2 Moo 5, Chalermprakiat Road, Rassada, Muang, Phuket 83000).

Now there are 3 phase switches with 30Ampere, 60Ampere and 100Ampere quite different in price.

What size do I need? I have 4 ACs in my house, 4 water heater, pool motor, fridge and so on. Some of my fuses are 32 Amp.

Is the 60Ampere switch ok?

Now there are 3 phase switches with 30Ampere, 60Ampere and 100Ampere quite different in price.

What size do I need? I have 4 ACs in my house, 4 water heater, pool motor, fridge and so on. Some of my fuses are 32 Amp.

The 60A switch is more than enough for the generator you bought but you have way too many high-consuming appliances for that genset.

A water heater takes 5-6KW and Sakari 6500 is rated about the same (5.5KW) which is around 25A at 220V.

A 30A 3-phase transfer switch can handle 30A per phase, ie a total of 90A or 20KW but you will need the 60A switch when running on the grid.

Hi Leckyman

you were right, I did not find transfer switches in Homepro or House and Home. Just in case other people in Phuket

need such a switch, I found various versions in a shop with the name Keehin when you drive from the big Tesco

crossing towards the airport, after about a kilometer on the left (108/2 Moo 5, Chalermprakiat Road, Rassada, Muang, Phuket 83000).

Hi,

This is a general inquiry topic about Sakari generators. If you wish to pursue installation & technical inquiries further, please post your requirements in;

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/59-real-estate-housing-house-and-land-ownership/

or

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/124-do-it-yourself-housing-forum/

how do you flush a toilet during a power outage if the water supply to your home is done by a pump?