Showimg The Passboard In The Internet Coffee,A New Law In Thailand?

Sandman77

Hello!

this year i saw,a internet shop,near lek villa,in naklua pattaya,the not let the customors surfing in the internet,withouth showing the passboead first,the paper says that this affected since around 2010 by law,i never see this before,i go in many tourist areas,all across thailand,i never must show my passboard,when i want go online somewhere?

Hopefully this will go the way of the rule that you had to show your passport before being sold a SIM card.

In Malaysia, though, they seem to be pretty strict about this (the SIM card rule, that is).

Edited by bendejo

Hopefully this will go the way of the rule that you had to show your passport before being sold a SIM card.

In Malaysia, though, they seem to be pretty strict about this (the SIM card rule, that is).

You are supposed to show your passport when you buy a sim card? I have bought 2 or 3 sim cards in the past year and no one said word one about showing a passport. All I had to do was fork over the 50 baht.

You are supposed to show your passport when you buy a sim card? I have bought 2 or 3 sim cards in the past year and no one said word one about showing a passport. All I had to do was fork over the 50 baht.

He said Malaysia.

^This is the law here, it is so that the owner of the sim card is traceable in the event that the sim card is used in a telephone to detonate a bomb. But like many other laws - rarely enforced.

There are many laws associated with running an internet cafe, Passport details for foreigners, keeping a record of websites viewed for 90 days, school children not allowed in the cafe wearing school uniforms during school times, under 16 year old's only allowed in during certain hours............. loads and loads of stuff to complicate business, if you were to adhere to them all you would go mad!!! Most of the laws are ignored by most internet cafe's, BUT, from time to time the police will start to conduct raids and then it gets very complicated and expensive!!

Edited by LennyW

This is the law here, it is so that the owner of the sim card is traceable in the event that the sim card is used in a telephone to detonate a bomb. But like many other laws - rarely enforced.

I remember when it went into affect and it was announced that all sim cards had to be registered. Actually, it was announced several times and I went to a shop where they had the sign up sheets to register my sim along with many Thais doing it.

This is a requirement in many countries now. I've had to show my passport and credit card several times. But with burner phones, not a real useful law.

This is a requirement in many countries now. I've had to show my passport and credit card several times. But with burner phones, not a real useful law.

I am in China at the moment, passport and reams of paperwork required to get a sim card, took a whole morning!

They were strict about the SIM card registration for a while, I think this was 2006/7. I was out of Thailand for six months, returned the last few days of 2007. Went to a IT mall (a floor filled with phone shops) and they sold me a SIM, no questions/papers asked. Not only that, it was 50b, contained 50b credit, and was valid for a full year (Happy). And this was in Hat Yai, of all places!

These days with open wifi in cafes and hotels policing net access is much more complicated than the old sit-down-log-in model of ten years ago.

A lot of paper work laws here are arbitrary. Eg, some hotels scan a photocopy of your passport AND entry card into their computer system, some hotels don't even ask for your pp number.