Thai Educational System Need Overhauling

How many of you whingers on here speak a second language

Good question! I can't imagine any nation (apart from maybe the USA) who are more traditionally lazy when it comes to learning a second language because we arrogantly believe that everyone should be able to speak English. Some Brits even believe that English is more easily understood if one increases volume! :-)

The Europeans with the large amount of small countries so close to each other have the incentives to learn new languages, USA has so many new immigrants that only speak their native languages that English is dying out and being replaced with street jive and foreign gibberish- babble. The Thai's, whose own language is more sophisticated and complex, have had no motive for English until ASEAN came up,.as everyone comes here to visit, and do you think the Chinese Thai don't speak the grandparents native tongue, or the Lao-Thai or Burma-Thai. As for loudness to improve comprehension, been to New York? YO MAN, at least the Brits,who i believe invented English,know pure and proper English and haven't pidgeoned it to the lazy jive babble with bad attitude that mainstream America has degenerated too.

Make sense? NOT. At least the Thai's language has English vocabulary in it already, who else is the same-same? ESL (English-second-language)used to be a goal for many foreign Countries. The Thai dilemma is, what language will be more valuable and useful in the future, English or Chinese? Will America or China become the main squeeze? I raise my voice to be understood, when someone has their head up their ass! Now, i do have a hearing problem, and that's why people shout at me often,right?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of universities Kasetsart University ranks as number 140 in the world followed by Chulalongkorn University at 173, Mahidol University at 202, Prince of Songkla University at 228, Khon Kaen University at 233 and Chiang Mai University at 236 where as The University of Georgia ranks at 386, The University of Tennessee 391, The University of Connecticut 365, The University of Missouri, Columbia 371, Lehigh University 351.

So, when they say the Thai school system "needs overhauling" my question is compared to what? It is more likely that we need more money to run our schools and pay our teachers and stricter standards for teachers especially foreign teachers. Teachers should have degrees in the subjects which most certainly includes English. You can not Teach French, German or Spanish without a degree in those subjects why should English be any different.

In terms of universities Kasetsart University ranks as number 140 in the world followed by Chulalongkorn University at 173, Mahidol University at 202, Prince of Songkla University at 228, Khon Kaen University at 233 and Chiang Mai University at 236 where as The University of Georgia ranks at 386, The University of Tennessee 391, The University of Connecticut 365, The University of Missouri, Columbia 371, Lehigh University 351.

So, when they say the Thai school system "needs overhauling" my question is compared to what? It is more likely that we need more money to run our schools and pay our teachers and stricter standards for teachers especially foreign teachers. Teachers should have degrees in the subjects which most certainly includes English. You can not Teach French, German or Spanish without a degree in those subjects why should English be any different.

So you've chosen to compare the best universities in Thailand with some of the worst in America, interesting! http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011

And why do foreign teachers need stricter standards than Thai teachers?

A French native speaker can teach French without a degree in French and so can a German and Spaniard too. Of course it would be nice if all teachers of English in Thailand were qualified teachers (not necessarily with a degree in English though, especially if a native speaker) but that will never happen as long as the salaries here are so low.

In 5yrs here I have observed both foreign and Thai teachers and the main difference is the teaching method. I've never seen a foreign teacher give the students the answers instead of making the student think for themself. I've never seen a foreign teacher pass a student that should have failed. I've never seen a foreign teacher turn a blind eye to plagiarism, cheating in exams or copying homework. I've never seen a foreign teacher accept a bribe. The same can't be said for many Thai teachers I've worked/work with! And lets not even start on the capability of many Thai English teachers to have an actual conversation in English.

Cartoons should be shown only in English (or Chinese). Given the amount of time that most children spend in front of the TV, it would likely give them a good foundation in the language.

So, when they say the Thai school system "needs overhauling" my question is compared to what?

This is a seriously flawed assumption. These rankings are based on 'web presence' and amount of 'hits' from other universities? (Mostly Thai universities presumably) Also these rankings are formed in part from 'google searches'.

Here is what the Webometrics own information page acknowledges and I quote..........

"Only the ranks are provided and not the raw data. The Web is very dynamic, search engines’ results are changing continuously so the numbers are only valid for the moment they are collected. Moreover, these numbers are obtained from a combination of several sources to decrease the engines’ biases using a very simple mathematical procedure (log-normalization and median). The resulting values are not useful for individual comparative purposes and even can be misleading or prone to manipulation.'

There are three influential 'ranking organisations'.................The Times Higher Education World University Rankings, the QS World University Rankings and the Academic Ranking of World Universities.

You should have a look and see where Thai universities rank worldwide with the above three.

• Like 1

There is no way Chulalongkorn University ranks higher than the University of Georgia. I have worked with multiple students (coming from multiple departments [which is very important to consider when choosing a large university], but especially from the International Business department) who claim that the professors/TA's manage to disappear whenever a major exam is to take place. Cheating is chronic at Chula (as it is lovingly called in its homeland). I would choose any university in Korea or Japan before I would choose a Thai university, regardless of what any statistics report (and cheating usually a problem at those universities as well, except that, in those countries, the cheaters are usually actively sought out and actually jailed for such activities).

There is no way Chulalongkorn University ranks higher than the University of Georgia. I have worked with multiple students (coming from multiple departments [which is very important to consider when choosing a large university], but especially from the International Business department) who claim that the professors/TA's manage to disappear whenever a major exam is to take place. Cheating is chronic at Chula (as it is lovingly called in its homeland). I would choose any university in Korea or Japan before I would choose a Thai university, regardless of what any statistics report (and cheating usually a problem at those universities as well, except that, in those countries, the cheaters are usually actively sought out and actually jailed for such activities).

The cheaters run the country why would they jail themselves!

sent from my Wellcom A90+

My wife is a teacher...or was. She returned from US and found she is no longer qualified to be a teacher because of new educator standards. She speaks fluent English and was a Chemistry teacher in upper grades for several years and now cannot teach. I volunteered to help at local school with English speaking and Immigration said I could not because also need certificate to teach and meet immigration criteria. Meanwhile the classrooms at my daughters school have 40+ students in classroom. Chinese have sent hundreds of teachers from China at their cost to teach Mandarin in the local schools and seem to get around all these requirements.

Does she the option to upgrade her credentials?

Do you know for a fact the Chinese teachers do not have China teaching credentials? They may or may not. As we know in Thailand connections are more important than ability.

Learning Chinese requires significant discipline. It cannot hurt the intellectual development of Thai students, providing they actually focus on learning.I doubt the Chinese teachers are adept or even care about making their classrooms fun.

Edited by atyclb

"The quality of our graduates is between mediocre and nearly useless" http://thaiwomantalk...e-21st-century/

Simply gaining english language skills will not suffice because the underlying ability / lack of ability to think analytically and critically in their own language is a huge handicap.

Often one thinks it is the lack of Thai language skills that creates the frustrations in daily living. Simple things like ordering food, asking directions, etc etc. When one becomes adept at speaking the language, even reading and writing, it then becomes glaringly apparent how lacking much of society is in even very basic thinking, reasoning, and logic cognitive abilities. Mind boggling inability to perform some very very basic thinking.

The majority condoning cheating and corruption only further compounds the above.

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1

Cartoons should be shown only in English (or Chinese). Given the amount of time that most children spend in front of the TV, it would likely give them a good foundation in the language.

Well. I was told it's impossible for foreigners to learn how to read and write Thai. Then I saw Thai kids reading the cartoons (books), and I took it as a challenge: If they can learn it, why couldn't I?

So yes, cartoons can be a catalyst.

So you've chosen to compare the best universities in Thailand with some of the worst in America, interesting! http://www.topuniver...y-rankings/2011

A French native speaker can teach French without a degree in French and so can a German and Spaniard too. Of course it would be nice if all teachers of English in Thailand were qualified teachers (not necessarily with a degree in English though, especially if a native speaker) but that will never happen as long as the salaries here are so low.

All teachers (including foreigners) need a teaching qualification to be allowed to teach, and that's good. Being a native speaker does not necessarily mean you are qualified to teach the language.

In 5yrs here I have observed both foreign and Thai teachers and the main difference is the teaching method. I've never seen a foreign teacher give the students the answers instead of making the student think for themself. I've never seen a foreign teacher pass a student that should have failed. I've never seen a foreign teacher turn a blind eye to plagiarism, cheating in exams or copying homework. I've never seen a foreign teacher accept a bribe. The same can't be said for many Thai teachers I've worked/work with! And lets not even start on the capability of many Thai English teachers to have an actual conversation in English.

You have not seen many foreign teachers... And even some Thai teachers will make students to think for themself - or even themselves. ;)

My wife is a teacher...or was. She returned from US and found she is no longer qualified to be a teacher because of new educator standards. She speaks fluent English and was a Chemistry teacher in upper grades for several years and now cannot teach. I volunteered to help at local school with English speaking and Immigration said I could not because also need certificate to teach and meet immigration criteria. Meanwhile the classrooms at my daughters school have 40+ students in classroom. Chinese have sent hundreds of teachers from China at their cost to teach Mandarin in the local schools and seem to get around all these requirements.

Well, in every country you have to follow the rules. If your wife is not qualified, she might have to work on her qualifications - according to the Thai educational system. I know many people that are qualified and do teach.

If Chinese teachers are considered qualified, they just might be, wouldn't you think?

Well, only one as a second language. I do business in four languages, so there is a third and a fourth language that I am fluent in. That does not include the languages that I speak conversationally but am not fluent enough to do business in.

What exactly is your question?

Students repeat after me: "YOU!" ..."come inside please!"...

Lesson over.

yes thats the way. when Thai teachers stop to lecture and start to teach then we might be able to go somewhere.

we Farlang teachers are always told teach conversation, but there is no grammar and no vocabulary with the students.

On a deeper level other than just the acquisition of English as a second language, the Thai education system is, in my experience an abomination. People used to tell me how the 'system' here actively discourages learning as it is not in the interests of the powers that be (of all political persuasions) to have highly educated masses. I never believed it; at first but now I am convinced it is true. One only needs to look at the structure of written Thai to see how even something as simple as breaking away from scriptura continua would effect changes at a neurological level which would enhance reflection and meaning. A past prime minister made some very minor changes to the obsolete characters, but 3 years later the changes were abolished. Thais have an abysmal knowledge of world history other than a navel gazing retrospective of 'ASPECTS' of the Thai story. A similar complaint could be levelled at Americans' knowledge of global issues. Basic mathematics, owing to its structure can lend itself to rote learning and the Thai children I have seen do very well here. The teaching of Thai language rests heavily on memorisation and rote learning, on being very very particular. My experience has led me to believe that this teaching style carries over into all other aspects of the curriculum. Divergent thinking, problem solving and questioning of accepted wisdom is actively discouraged. Thailand is a wonderful country with wonderful people, but the feudal system which still runs deep is holding back the life chances for millions of rural Thai children and eventually the nation as it fails to capitalise on its most precious resource... it's children. And there endeth the sermon !

Yes indeed. I don't think that the methods of teaching in Thailand were actually planned, this is Thailand after all. The way things turned out suits many people, making it difficult to introduce change.

Thai people are not inherently stupid by any means, but it is possible to instill intellectual laziness into people, especially if you catch them young. Most Isaan people have to learn Thai as a second language, pretty impressive I find.

As an anecdote, my wife had 2 years of school and learnt English from books and TV. Not bar girl English I might add for the cynics out there. If she had gone through the Thai school system I doubt she could have done this, her English is much better than that of the local teachers, I can actually converse with her intelligently.

I had great ideas of learning Thai when I retired here in Thailand, and I have met farang who have been here 20-30 years and who do speak Thai "fluently," depending on the definition. However, my Thai wife and most other Thais I know want to speak English. I am learning to understand some Thai as I am party to many conversations in Thai when we have company in our home. Being close to 70, it is unclear just how much I can learn before I am "burn."

For Thais, and for social mobility to gain a stronger foothold, learning English is not really an option. It will be the language of ASEAN and Thais are/will be at a disadvantage until the language deficiency is corrected. Recently, we left our car for a repair and the garage owners son drove us back to our home. He is driving and I am also in the front seat, and then, out of the blue he said, in very clear English, "I would really like to talk to you, but I do not know what to say." To say that I was surprised would be an understatement. I learned that he was in his last year of high school and was going to the University to study finance and then go to Singapore to get a job. Oh, he went to a private high school and I understood that all of the English instruction and practice was done in school. He was complaining that it was hard to find farang to speak with.

I was also asked by a Thai English teacher (public school) friend to come to her classes (all were Juniors) so that the students could speak with a native speaker of English (or should I say "American"). Each student would stand and say their name and where they live, and then I would ask them questions and they would answer. Out of perhaps 60 students, 4 could hold a simple conversation, some 40 were too shy or afraid of loosing face to say much of anything, and the rest were motivated to try, but struggled. The 4 who could do pretty well, one was actually learning English in a "farang" restaurant where she was a waitress; one had a relative married to a farang; and two had a plan for the future that required English. The take away: almost none of the students could relate the utility of learning English to their lives in the future. I began to think that perhaps the lack of attention to the future and a plan is partially responsible.

The professional schools at the university offer a model, where all of the teaching is in English. The result is that healthcare providers, pharmacists, vets, etc. all speak very good English. If Thais who were going to school to become English teachers were taught all of their classes in English, Thai children would learn more English. I also believe that these teachers should get paid more.

Good on you Cardiff. I'm also sick and tired of all these ex-pats whinging about the country they have the luxury of living in.

Back on topic:

I remember a report about 10 years ago that less than 50% of American elementry school kids knew that milk came from a cow!!!

In Australia, more than 50% of high school graduates will make more than 3 mistakes when reciting the multiplication tables from 2 to 10. Less than 13% could count up to 100 in multiples of 13 - 13, 26, 39, 52 ... etc.

And yet somehow both countries mentioned manage to sustain massive service sectors whose fundamental raison d'etre is the peddling of knowledge. The citizens of both countries also pull in much higher per capita incomes that enable significantly greater social mobility among the majority. Strange.

I assume you are being sarcastic? USA and Australia governments are significantly more competent or less incompetent (whichever way you want to look at it). The rule of law works significantly better and cheating/ corruption/ dysfunction/incompetence is not the foundation of society. While the US and Australia may be "dumbing down", the populous is still usually capable of critical thinking.

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1

So you've chosen to compare the best universities in Thailand with some of the worst in America, interesting! http://www.topuniver...y-rankings/2011

That is the world list and it is a sample there are bad universities in all countries but for some reason people here only like to insult my country and yet they live here. I mention universities and you hit me with and bribes and foreign teachers. Anything I say you turn, I say if you hate us so much go home then you do not need to worry how corrupt and evil we are.

And your country has done no harm ever? You need to mind your own business and your own politics and stay out of mine.

The thread of the topic is Thai education so perhaps Ashoka can explain why, if Thailand's education is so great, then why did he study in America and his wife study in Australia? Why not study here in Thailand? I understand being patriotic and a proud Thai but to be so defensive about such blatant problems like corruption, cheating, plagiarism, poor teaching standards etc is a bit daft. I read some of his other posts and it is the same Ashoka there too, instead of discussing a problem and offering alternatives he just tells everyone to leave!

• Like 1

And your country has done no harm ever? You need to mind your own business and your own politics and stay out of mine.

And you need to get your head out of the sand and understand your own country.

I live here and pay taxes here the same as you. Only difference is I'm not Thai.

Why don't you take the comment you replied to as a question and answer it?

please try to remember that 75 percent of science and math thai teachers failed to pass their own tests. add on top of this the number of degrees that are bought instead of earned and you have a major problem with the education system. add classes cancelled for cheerleading, numerous sports days and never ending staff meetings and most of the school year is gone. add to that copying and cheating in exams which is seen by teachers but ignored and you have more problems. schools here are a money making exercise, nothing more and while this continues the students today, tomorrow and in the future are doomed to failure.

please try to remember that 75 percent of science and math thai teachers failed to pass their own tests. add on top of this the number of degrees that are bought instead of earned and you have a major problem with the education system. add classes cancelled for cheerleading, numerous sports days and never ending staff meetings and most of the school year is gone. add to that copying and cheating in exams which is seen by teachers but ignored and you have more problems. schools here are a money making exercise, nothing more and while this continues the students today, tomorrow and in the future are doomed to failure.

But to be fair it would be very difficult for math and science teachers from other countries to pass the test (presuming the tests were in English) because it's actually the tests that are flawed.

Honestly have you ever seen the <deleted> they put out as tests. If it wasn't so serious it would be laughable.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

But to be fair it would be very difficult for math and science teachers from other countries to pass the test (presuming the tests were in English) because it's actually the tests that are flawed.

Honestly have you ever seen the <deleted> they put out as tests. If it wasn't so serious it would be laughable.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

Multiple choice tests where, even though the question itself is almost impossible to understand, there is no correct answer to choose from!

The thread of the topic is Thai education so perhaps Ashoka can explain why, if Thailand's education is so great, then why did he study in America and his wife study in Australia? Why not study here in Thailand? I understand being patriotic and a proud Thai but to be so defensive about such blatant problems like corruption, cheating, plagiarism, poor teaching standards etc is a bit daft. I read some of his other posts and it is the same Ashoka there too, instead of discussing a problem and offering alternatives he just tells everyone to leave!

Because my father worked in the USA and my wife's father worked in Australia. I really do not have anything to say I just stated documented facts a Google search can easily find.

I will not get in the middle of mud slinging and misinformation. What I posted is fact what most of you have used to insult me is personal feelings and opinion which qualifies you to work for Fox News.

Edited by Ashoka