United Kingdom Offshore Banking Experiences

I am looking to change UK-based banks this year since RBSInternational have decided to hive off their personal offshore banking to their NatWest acquisition. Having a choice wasn't offered and when they had their disastrous online banking meltdown, I decided to really start looking elsewhere. Barclay's look like they have shot themselves in the foot with the LIBOR debacle which is sucking in RBS, HSBC and others. Santander is Spanish so seriously suspect despite it's very high profile IMHO. Apart from Standard Chartered, which always seems to have a 'clean sheet', there's LloydsTSB which I can't recall being lumped in with ones that overpay their under-performing bosses and then ask for the taxpayer to bail them out... unless I missed something.

So, apart from SC and LTSB, is there anyone else I should consider for a multi-denominational, international bank account with a good online experience and a VISA/MasterCard debit card or similar for traveling and emergencies?

Maybe I just need to get a couple of King-size mattresses and a shotgun.

Thanks in advance for your experiences, recommendations and opinions.

NL

in the same boat as me,rbs put me in touch with nat west offshore forget them in a hurrydid get in touch with ltsb looks like thats where im heading once rbs clears up a few strings.spoke to an adam logan on 44-1624-641825.

Three options:

Co-op bank in Jersey/Gurnsey, meets all the requirements:

Nationwide International in the IOM, unsure about credit cards etc:

HSBC Hong Kong or Singapore but both require tying up significicant capital in order to warrantee the credit card amount.

I have accounts with all three and the first two are undoubtedly the best and most cost efficient.

Some of my peers (former Bangkok and Pattaya mongers, hashers and piss artists) also have accounts with SC in either Singapore or Hong Kong as well as in Jersey. One of the key criteria for me is getting the ball rolling and filing any applications online without any onerous personal presence requirements since most foreign domiciled branches of offshore banks require an applicant from a third country to personally file the application. I just had a look at LloydsTSB online application and it states that the whole thing can be done online in 15 minutes. I am sure that paperwork requiring signatures and other stuff will be sent via mail and returned before the account is 100% established. Then again, Singapore and Hong Kong aren't too far away.

One of the key criteria for me is getting the ball rolling and filing any applications online without any onerous personal presence requirements since most foreign domiciled branches of offshore banks require an applicant from a third country to personally file the application.

Thats not quite strictly true when it comes to certain banks in Singapore, you can do 99% of setting up on line, you just need to send them a certified copy of your pp, they send your on-line application form, sign it and send your PP copy back return post, with the post takes a little time, but if you want to do it quickly ie within a couple of hours and have your ATM card in your hand obviously best you visit in person

Some of my peers (former Bangkok and Pattaya mongers, hashers and piss artists) also have accounts with SC in either Singapore or Hong Kong as well as in Jersey. One of the key criteria for me is getting the ball rolling and filing any applications online without any onerous personal presence requirements since most foreign domiciled branches of offshore banks require an applicant from a third country to personally file the application. I just had a look at LloydsTSB online application and it states that the whole thing can be done online in 15 minutes. I am sure that paperwork requiring signatures and other stuff will be sent via mail and returned before the account is 100% established. Then again, Singapore and Hong Kong aren't too far away.

I've also given-up with NatWest - I rang them up last week to try and find-out what their interest rates are for off-shore savings accounts and after 10 mins being passed around they still wouldn't tell me and then they cut me off. The Mon - Fri thing is also a bit of a pain.

I'm going to be in Singapore in about 2 weeks time and am going to look at all the options there.

Anyone know if DBS do an off-shore account for non-SG residents ? I banked with them whilst working there and they were fine.

LE

I've also given-up with NatWest - I rang them up last week to try and find-out what their interest rates are for off-shore savings accounts and after 10 mins being passed around they still wouldn't tell me and then they cut me off. The Mon - Fri thing is also a bit of a pain.

I'm going to be in Singapore in about 2 weeks time and am going to look at all the options there.

Anyone know if DBS do an off-shore account for non-SG residents ? I banked with them whilst working there and they were fine.

LE

What you will find any bank which is considered a "local" Singapore bank will not touch you unless you are a Singapore resident/working there, your options there are basically limited to the big international players.... Citibank, HSBC etc

On DBS I am not sure, I went through this exercise quite a few years ago and talked to a lot of banks there cant remember if that included DBS or not

LE

What you will find any bank which is considered a "local" Singapore bank will not touch you unless you are a Singapore resident/working there, your options there are basically limited to the big international players.... Citibank, HSBC etc

On DBS I am not sure, I went through this exercise quite a few years ago and talked to a lot of banks there cant remember if that included DBS or not

Ok thanks - I'm not mad keen on Citi, but I'll certainly go in and have a work with HSBC and SC.

LE

Ok thanks - I'm not mad keen on Citi, but I'll certainly go in and have a work with HSBC and SC.

I am with Citi international personal banking based out of SG, and they are very good, far better than the gang of crooks at HSBC in Jersey IMHO...laugh.png

Both myself and my wife have used alil.co.im for years. Easy to deal with and rates as banking go for fixed terms are as good as you will get I think.

For those that don't know that is Alliance and Leicester International who are part of Santander.

The Telegraph in their Expat or offshore finance section had an article a few weeks/a month back on comparing savings rates and terms which could be useful reading - no registration needed. I seem to remember the Co Op came out quite well.

We have an account with SC Singapore, its okay / safe interest rates poor

I am also in the process of moving money to Lloyds TSB offshoe, their 5year rate is 4.5% and I do not see this financial mess clearing up for quite a few years

is there anyone else I should consider for a multi-denominational, international bank account with a good online experience and a VISA/MasterCard debit card or similar for traveling and emergencies?

Standard Bank IOM, but only if you want no fees for maintaining an account.

Edit: no credit cards though.

Edited by PattayaParent

LE

UOB will accept non-residents minimum SGD 350k, the Swiss banks' demand is USD 3 million, some (e.g. UBS) even 5 million.

Both myself and my wife have used alil.co.im for years. Easy to deal with and rates as banking go for fixed terms are as good as you will get I think.

For those that don't know that is Alliance and Leicester International who are part of Santander.

The Telegraph in their Expat or offshore finance section had an article a few weeks/a month back on comparing savings rates and terms which could be useful reading - no registration needed. I seem to remember the Co Op came out quite well.

This might be somewhat irrational but with all the news re Spanish banks, I'm not mad keen on placing my money with Santander.

I still have a personal account with DBS so I might ask them re an off-shore account first and if thats a no-go then I'll try SC and HSBC in that order.

Don't think I'll bother with the Swiss banks !

Have been with Lloyds(TSB) in Jersey since the mid-90's with dollar and sterling accounts, have been at the point of chucking them a few times down the years but never seemed to have built the motivation up enough, at the moment though they seem to be going ok.

Their offshore phonebank team are normally ok if you call during UK night hours.

Citibank in Singapore are also friendly enough to deal with and from memory was straight forward to set an account up with.

RE LLoydsTSB - I did this recently for a savings account and you have to print off the online application and send it with the relevant proof/s of identity. Their opening team seem quite efficient but don't bother getting them to fill it in online with you as they will just send to you later to print off and it was a bit of a waste of my phone credit.

I had my passport certified at the British Consul in Pattaya - 1500 baht but you cannot get back the same day anymore from that office.

You can also get your account details over the phone, once the paperwork is processed, without having to wait for it to come back in the post.

Edited by topt

Do Lloyds TSB still charge 50 Quid a year to have an account or has it gone up?

For their savings accounts no. The current account needs a minimum balance of £2,500 or Euros or $3,500 and it is free or if not £20 per month - so you could say it has gone up.....but realistically for most people it will be free - and free transfers from their end.

Have a look - http://www.lloydstsb-offshore.com/international-current-accounts/

I am also with RBS jersey. Is there any problems with natwest that I should be aware of. I was just going to let it ride and see what happens. Will they just continue the same accounts or will I have to open new ones?

For their savings accounts no. The current account needs a minimum balance of £2,500 or Euros or $3,500 and it is free or if not £20 per month - so you could say it has gone up.....but realistically for most people it will be free - and free transfers from their end.

Have a look - http://www.lloydstsb...rrent-accounts/

Odd 'cos when I wanted to transfer my onshore current account to offshore they told me you have to join their "Offshore Club" which then was 50 Quid a year. I declined but I have mates who have this fee..

Odd 'cos when I wanted to transfer my onshore current account to offshore they told me you have to join their "Offshore Club" which then was 50 Quid a year. I declined but I have mates who have this fee..

I had this but that was over 12 years ago. They do not seem to have this anymore (not that I can find on the web site) so if they are still mates you may want to suggest they look into it? smile.png

I had this but that was over 12 years ago. They do not seem to have this anymore (not that I can find on the web site) so if they are still mates you may want to suggest they look into it? smile.png

One of them was changing banks, to RBS I think, the other isn't back here yet but he was looking at Standard Bank IoM after I recommended it and he found a few other friends with accounts there too.

This might be somewhat irrational but with all the news re Spanish banks, I'm not mad keen on placing my money with Santander.

I still have a personal account with DBS so I might ask them re an off-shore account first and if thats a no-go then I'll try SC and HSBC in that order.

Don't think I'll bother with the Swiss banks !

I might give SC a miss for the time-being.