Registering Big Bikes In The News Today

thaicbr

I just read about it on gt-rider.com too, said possibly this year there will be a new law which will ban registration of vehicles assembled locally from imported used body parts. But, like someone else mentioned, there was recently a huge grey import car expo sponsored by over 400 companies held at the convention centre at muang thong thani , major sponsors were Bangkok bank with support from the finance and transport ministry so importers believe it won't be enforced.

When I asked some Thai friends with big bikes recently they said it doesn't concern them, maybe because of who they are (police, govt officials etc) or maybe because they know this is Thailand! And by looking at recent pics added to some big bike shops on facebook I tend to agree, about 20 imported R1, GSXR, CBR, S1000RR, 1198, Hayabusa, ZX10 in just the last few days!

Concerning news!

But, I am sure this rule is for growing number of low quality Chinese bikes - same parts different brands :) - assembled here with the all parts coming directly from China. Sure, some major players here like Honda etc complained about it as i see Chinese bikes showrooms in many places recently and the number of shops is growing.

But, what will happen to Ducati and Triumph then? As, they bring some - if not most - of the parts from abroad.

Concerning news!

But, I am sure this rule is for growing number of low quality Chinese bikes - same parts different brands smile.png - assembled here with the all parts coming directly from China. Sure, some major players here like Honda etc complained about it as i see Chinese bikes showrooms in many places recently and the number of shops is growing.

But, what will happen to Ducati and Triumph then? As, they bring some - if not most - of the parts from abroad.

No, it is supposedly for any bikes that are imported as parts then assembled here. Most are bought privately or at auctions in America or Japan then shipped over as parts and assembled, therefore avoiding the hefty import tax. The Deputy Transport Minister Chatchart Sithipan said about 10,000 "big bikes" and 2,000 luxury cars on the streets are not registered but I reckon there are more than that. I thought it was already illegal to ride/drive an unregistered vehicle so not sure how this 'new' law will change things.

I'm looking at today's edition of it which shall not be named and can't find it.

Oops I was reading sat. sun and mondays. My bad not sure which one.

Allan.....Dohhhhh

sent from my Wellcom A90+

On the online edition it was from 28/7. I just read it and it says the proposed new rule will impose a fine of 2000baht, no mention of confiscation. So, if that is correct, lets use Richard's example from another thread recently which suggested buying a 2011 GSXR600 from Red Baron for 568,000baht I think it was. I saw a similar one recently with invoice papers and excise tax paid that was 365,000baht so you'd need to be fined 100 times before the amounts were equal, even in BKK you'd be unlucky to be fined 100 times!

On the online edition it was from 28/7. I just read it and it says the proposed new rule will impose a fine of 2000baht, no mention of confiscation. So, if that is correct, lets use Richard's example from another thread recently which suggested buying a 2011 GSXR600 from Red Baron for 568,000baht I think it was. I saw a similar one recently with invoice papers and excise tax paid that was 365,000baht so you'd need to be fined 100 times before the amounts were equal, even in BKK you'd be unlucky to be fined 100 times!

And if you were 'unlucky' enough to have an accident on that unregistered and effectively uninsured bike (which it will be come crunch time... no pun intended) then you could be left with a bill twice/tripple that of Red Barrons bike...... Just my 2p :)

And if you were 'unlucky' enough to have an accident on that unregistered and effectively uninsured bike (which it will be come crunch time... no pun intended) then you could be left with a bill twice/tripple that of Red Barrons bike...... Just my 2p smile.png

Unregistered bikes can be insured.

Edited by skybluestu

And if you were 'unlucky' enough to have an accident on that unregistered and effectively uninsured bike (which it will be come crunch time... no pun intended) then you could be left with a bill twice/tripple that of Red Barrons bike...... Just my 2p smile.png

Yes they can, my point wasn't if they can be insured or not. If you're prepared to pay money, they'll take it off of you. But should you need to claim i would like to know what insurance companies wouldn't use 'sorry the bike's not registered' as an excuse.

If you're certain all insurance companies would pay out then i'll sell my current bike and buy one without a greenbook in a flash....

Edited by karlos

Yes they can, my point wasn't if they can be insured or not. If you're prepared to pay money, they'll take it off of you. But should you need to claim i would like to know what insurance companies wouldn't use 'sorry the bike's not registered' as an excuse.

If you're certain all insurance companies would pay out then i'll sell my current bike and buy one without a greenbook in a flash....

If you are in BKK then I'd stick with the bike with green book as you'd be stopped on a daily basis for fines ranging from 400-2000 baht so not worth the time and hassle. But there are many parts of Thailand where unregistered bikes are ridden without any issues so, for now at least, they are a popular option.

Insurance companies do insure them and the yearly tax can be paid on them too, they need to be advised when doing the paperwork so they couldn't really say they didn't know it wasn't registered!

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

skybluestu on 2012-07-30 18:26:49 said:

"Insurance companies do insure them and the yearly tax can be paid on them too, they need to be advised when doing the paperwork so they couldn't really say they didn't know it wasn't registered!"

....."...yearly tax can be paid on them too..." .............How do you do that...without a registration....?

I

Edited by LoneRider

a fine of 2000baht for what and by who, I have a fully legit green book for my bike last 6 years

skybluestu on 2012-07-30 18:26:49 said:

"Insurance companies do insure them and the yearly tax can be paid on them too, they need to be advised when doing the paperwork so they couldn't really say they didn't know it wasn't registered!"

....."...yearly tax can be paid on them too..." .............How do you do that...without a registration....?

I

My wife went to the transport office with the bikes inv & excise tax papers and asked if tax could be paid. They said it could but the tax sticker with the date etc on it couldn't be issued as it needed to have a registration number on there, they issued a receipt though with the date it was paid, bike info and my name. Not had a chance to test it yet though as not been stopped in the last 8mnths but it is an official receipt so presume it is ok.

a fine of 2000baht for what and by who, I have a fully legit green book for my bike last 6 years

The discussion is about unregistered bikes, yours has a green book and so is registered therefore you won't be fined.