Why Did You Learn / Are You Learning Thai?

ForumUsername

I'm aware of the thread on how people learn Thai, but I thought it would be good if everyone who visits this section could chime in on why they have learned, or are learning, Thai. Not only do I think the answers will be interesting, but I've found that whenever my motivation is waning on something, it's always good for me to remember what the long-term goal is, and why I'm putting so much work into something.

Thai is something I'm doing 2-3 hours every day, and while I don't see myself stopping any time soon, it can be frustrating at times, until I remember the reasons I'm doing it all in the first place.

So, for your personal reasons: why did you focus on learning the language?

I look forward to any responses...and I'll share my own after a few :)

• Like 2

to be honest, i would love to sit down and have a conversation with my wifes grandpa,,

he can make anything with bamboo, great with his hands, he makes traps that he goes out and sets, dosnt catch much,

ive told me wife to sit with her grandma and mama and learn becouse in my opinion the old ways will be lost for ever when the old people are gone and its such a shame to loose all that,

jake

I love this response. Thanks for contributing!

I suppose one small reason might be to speak the language of the country I live in or to speak with people other than those who make a living off of foreigners.

It is a different country when you speak the language.

Totally agree. Studying 300+ hours so far. I study at AUA and ProLanguage (for ED visa)

I would say PigeonJake & VF summed up my reasons exactly & in no particular order

1- To be able to communicate with my family here.

2- To be able to function in the country we have chosen to live in.

I do believe it is very different when you make the effort.

Both in how I am treated by Thai's & how I feel about or perceive my new home.

• Like 2

I have an interest in languages and after a few holidays (2-3 weeks each) in Thailand I had a longer one (11 weeks) which I used to study Thai at a language school. That gave me the basics, now I can (and do) study independently in Europe.

My reasons: general interest in languages (Thai is my fourth foreign language), want to read and write and understand things around me, order any food anywhere, communicate with Thais who do not speak English, travel independently and maybe one day be able to work in Thailand (with work visa and work permit for a Western company and with a Western salary) because I speak Thai.

Hello I have been living in Thailand for about 3 years but coming here for 15 years. I created a language learning website. My Thai is pretty good and getting better everyday. I am from America and this is my Thai learning experience.

First and foremost I am a musician and artist. I have always considered my-self a problem solver.

For me language learning did not start until I was in my fifties. I did not take foreign language in school.

Like many people I purchased several language learning programs but never really found a logical way to learn.

I did stumble upon a word game similar to what I use on my site. It gave me a way to learn many words each day. It solved the problem of remembering the words.

The philosophy that you have to learn a new language as a child is crazy to me. It’s like saying now that I know basic math, I need to learn it again before I can learn Algebra. You already know how to use a language.

The problem of learning a new language is two-fold. First you need to learn words in the new language. You exchange the words you know for words that mean the same thing in your new language. Remembering the words is everything.

The second most important part to language learning is staying motivated. Simple as that!

My language learning plan is simple. Learn the 100 most common words first. Who, what, where. when, why, and how are some of the first lesson. Great one word questions. The words you learn first can dramatically speed up your ability to communicate.

Now to learn the words is not the same as to remember them. That’s where my word game is so effective. You learn words from repetition. The same way you learned your first language.

So as my story goes I made this website it took 4 years. I started to advertise and I realized there was another problem to solve, Motivation. How do I motivate people to learn.

I came up with a Facebook like timeline. A living “Report Card” of your efforts. You don’t get grades but you see everything that you do. You also can earn free credits for being a good student.

So an interesting thing happened. I had to test the new pages. Now most of my Thai learning happened a few years ago. Because of my website work I have not studied work in a long time. So I went to test the page and I did lessons 1 to 30. That’s when I began to experience a very different level of speaking Thai.

It’s the same as a muscle if you don’t use it you loose it.

The experience of reviewing all my words at one time taught me to think of learning words like laying wood chips on a pools surface. Your word memory pool. If you don’t pick the word out of the water now and then it begins to waterlog and sink. The longer you don’t use the word the deeper it sinks. It’s the same in your native language. Words seldom used are difficult to remember.

I found that by refreshing my Thai all at once in my word game I could draw on many more words when speaking and listening to Thai. I knew the words at one time but reviewing them all at once had an amazing effect on my Thai. I can do 15 lessons in one game so it only takes me one hour of study to do 30 lessons. I will keep doing it because I found it so helpful. There is no better motivation for language learning than experiencing success. When you are able to speak and understand a new language, it is truly an exciting experience. Try the World Word Exchange for free just sign up you will get 2 free lessons. Good luck and thanks Brian

Didn't have much chance not to learn. I spend 99.9% of my time in Thais-only environment. It was very slow progress before I learned how to read&write, so I made that learning effort. Still battling with vocabulary though, the words just don't "stick" like with Latin based languages, because everything is pretty much new and has no existing reference for me. It's my fifth language and by far the most difficult I've studied.

• Like 1

My reason is pretty simple- I live here. And I always think if you live in a foreign country, you should learn to speak and understand the language, learn to read and write it. Partially because it makes living there a lot easier, partially out of politeness.

And I guess there's a natural sense of curiosity as well, like kokesaat said- what do those road signs say..?

The first Thai word I ever read successfully, out and about, was a seafood restaurant near my apartment. It took me ages to decipher the name of the place- I'd just started trying to read- but after five minutes or so I successfully realised it said "Marine". I felt quite proud. And then underneath realised that underneath the Thai sign, in English and in even bigger letters, was the word MARINE. :)

• Like 1

The first Thai word I ever read successfully, out and about, was a seafood restaurant near my apartment. It took me ages to decipher the name of the place- I'd just started trying to read- but after five minutes or so I successfully realised it said "Marine". I felt quite proud. And then underneath realised that underneath the Thai sign, in English and in even bigger letters, was the word MARINE. smile.png

I hate it when they write English words in Thai script. I've raked my brain in search of the meaning of a word countless times, only to finally say it out loud and find out it's English dry.png

Maybe I should ask a Thai what they think about Thai being transliterated into English alphabet .. must be the same effect.

Reasons for learning Thai:

- Independence from depending on a long-haired translator to accompany you to the bank, to the electric office, phone company, market, restaurant, etc.

- Don't you wonder what all those roadside signs say in Thai?

- Why limit yourself to menus that include English?

- From time to time there are some interesting promotions on your TOT phone bill (if you have one). Unfortunately, the messages are in Thai.

- Wouldn't it be nice to be able to read the instructions on that bottle of medicine you buy.....or the pack of rat poison.....or the instructions to make a pot of Mama soup?

You can easily live here without speaking or reading a word of Thai. I know....I did for many years. But I finally buckled down, learned to read and write (slllloooowly). That ability has made a tremendous difference in my quality of life here.

I'm 62, have hearing aids. There are no excuses.

What method/school did you use kokesaat?

My reason is pretty simple- I live here. And I always think if you live in a foreign country, you should learn to speak and understand the language, learn to read and write it. Partially because it makes living there a lot easier, partially out of politeness.

And I guess there's a natural sense of curiosity as well, like kokesaat said- what do those road signs say..?

The first Thai word I ever read successfully, out and about, was a seafood restaurant near my apartment. It took me ages to decipher the name of the place- I'd just started trying to read- but after five minutes or so I successfully realised it said "Marine". I felt quite proud. And then underneath realised that underneath the Thai sign, in English and in even bigger letters, was the word MARINE. smile.png

laugh.png

i want to challenge my brain to think in a different way, from a different perspective.

i want to use everything i ve ever learned: in school, on my travels, while teaching, in relationships, and when playing sports. every tool i can manage to fashion in order to accomplish a feat that is extremely challenging, testing, and difficult, but immensely enlightening, something that calls on the foundation of what it means to be a an open-minded person.

i study every day. im on a mission.

• Like 1

A combination of Benjawan Becker books and a village pharmacist who swapped 2 hours of English for 2 hours of Thai. The code breaker though.....the thing that gave me the encouragement that I was making progress, was the Maani reader series. Available free on line, in pdf and with voice files (http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Thai/maanii1/fsmaanii1.htm one of the best).

No need to learn the alphabet before you can learn to read. With Maani, you learn to read before you learn the alphabet. It made all the difference in the world for me.

• Like 1

A combination of Benjawan Becker books and a village pharmacist who swapped 2 hours of English for 2 hours of Thai. The code breaker though.....the thing that gave me the encouragement that I was making progress, was the Maani reader series. Available free on line, in pdf and with voice files (http://www.seasite.n...1/fsmaanii1.htm one of the best).

No need to learn the alphabet before you can learn to read. With Maani, you learn to read before you learn the alphabet. It made all the difference in the world for me.

Thanks for replying!

I agree with a lot of the reasons stated, but feel that you have a lot more independence here, and a better chance of making a relationship work if you can at least make yourself understood in Thai.

Thai language is not very useful outside this country, but if you are going to live here for any length of time, it is very important !

I would very much like to hear, read, about anyone's experience with the Pimsleur Approach CD's to learning Thai before I spend the money on them. Anyone?

I would very much like to hear, read, about anyone's experience with the Pimsleur Approach CD's to learning Thai before I spend the money on them. Anyone?

I liked them. I got them years ago & made 2 lesson CD's which I listened to during drives.

Very nice layout. I remember wishing they had more when I was done with the 30 lessons.

I did not know they were still for sale as I know many download them off the web.

Thanks guys. I know there are lots of people here, so keep them coming smile.png

I studied Thai at a language school but only for a month, I am now learning through books and the internet. In the language school, the teachers are not allowed to speak English. That is disgraceful for obvious reasons.

In the language school, the teachers are not allowed to speak English. That is disgraceful for obvious reasons.

That is not true of all schools. The Uni course teachers speak English very well.

I agree it would be tough to get answers to the more complex questions about reading, writing, tones etc. without being able to ask questions

at times in English.

Which also makes me wonder about the many falang teachers who cannot speak Thai yet teach children English. I am sure these kids may

also have a few questions they would like answered for clarity & understanding.

I think that is why folks like Ajarn Adam are so popular with the Thai's both adults & children

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. I know there are lots of people here, so keep them coming smile.png

I studied Thai at a language school but only for a month, I am now learning through books and the internet. In the language school, the teachers are not allowed to speak English. That is disgraceful for obvious reasons.

It is universally accepted by educationalists that the correct way to learn a language is by speaking only in that language. Educational establishments that allow speech in the learners 'home language' are usually considered second rate.

In the language school, the teachers are not allowed to speak English. That is disgraceful for obvious reasons.

That is not true of all schools. The Uni course teachers speak English very well.

I agree it would be tough to get answers to the more complex questions about reading, writing, tones etc. without being able to ask questions

at times in English.

Which also makes me wonder about the many falang teachers who cannot speak Thai yet teach children English. I am sure these kids may

also have a few questions they would like answered for clarity & understanding.

I think that is why folks like Ajarn Adam are so popular with the Thai's both adults & children

Your right Mania, thanks for answering.

The first Thai word I ever read successfully, out and about, was a seafood restaurant near my apartment. It took me ages to decipher the name of the place- I'd just started trying to read- but after five minutes or so I successfully realised it said "Marine". I felt quite proud. And then underneath realised that underneath the Thai sign, in English and in even bigger letters, was the word MARINE. :)

And had you noticed the English word MARINE first, you probably would have deciphered the Thai word much quicker....but at the expense of not really improving your understanding of written Thai.

The point I am making is: I don't think Thai language schools or books should use the English transliteration as a stepping stone when teaching a Thai word. Get to know the Thai characters and the tone rules in the early stages, and go straight from the English word to the Thai word.

eg. cat - แมว NOT cat - maew - แมว

Of course it is frustrating at first, but without the English transliterations to lean on, the brain will be forced to absorb and retain the Thai characters, and progress will be quicker. Gaining an early understanding of the tone rules will also rapidly improve your spoken Thai skills. In my opinion.