What Works Where? 2G / 3G Coverage Maps Thailand.

JakeBKK

Every day people are asking here, will this usb dongle/ smartphone work in Nakohon Nowhere or on my porch close to Si Sa Ket ? So, here are the latest coverage maps provided by me DTAC, AIS, TRUE, TOT and CAT!

DTAC ( Happy)

3 G frequency 850 MHz

Map 3 G Services (English) Please click here

Map 2 G Services (English) Please click here

Pricing: 2 / 3G Price list Please click here

AIS (1-2 call)

3 G frequency 900 MHz + 2100 MHz

Map 3 G Services (Thai) Please click here

Map 3 G Services (Eng) Please click here (Google Translate)

Map 2G Services (Thai) Please click here

Map 2 G Services (Eng) Please click here (Google Translate)

Pricing 2 / 3G Price List: Please click here

(Remarks: some AIS users can access TOT 3G and 3bb Hotspots)

TRUE (Truemove-H)

3 G frequency 850 MHz

Map 3 G Services: Please click here

Map 2 G Services: Please click here

Pricing 2G Price List: Please click here (Thai only)

Pricing 3G Price List: Please click here (Thai / Eng.)

TOT (TOT 3G)

3 G frequency 2100 MHz

Map Services Please click here (interactive map, covers 3G and WiFi)

Pricing Please click here

CAT (CAT CDMA)

3 G frequency 850 Mhz

Map 3 G services Please click here

Pricing Please click here

Remarks: Cat is restructuring now. More on this here: Thaivisa

Jasmine Internet (3BB Hotspots)

This is listed here because AIS unlimited customers have complimentary access to 3BB Hotspots!

Hotspot Location: Please click here (Thai)

Hotspot Location: Please click here (Eng.)

HINT: IF YOUR COMPUTER SEES A 3BB HOTSPOT OR 3BB@FAMILY MART YOU CAN SEND A SMS WITH THE LETTER "A" TO 4825358 AND YOU GET ACCESS ONE MONTH FOR 99 THB.

MVNO (mobile virtual network operator iMobile,ICool & Mojo 3G)

These company do not have own towers and equiptment. To locate coverage areas for iMobile,ICool & Mojo 3G please see TOT

Edited by JakeBKK

Excellent post Jake!

Only one discrepancy, is that Truemove does not do 3G anymore, they moved everything over to Truemove-H.

So the coverage maps are correct, but for pricing we have to look at the following truemove-H page:

Truemove-H 3G/Edge packages

And as usual the English page just shows the same info in Thai, and they poured all the info in an image so even Google translate cannot help us out :( :(

Excellent post Jake!

Only one discrepancy, is that Truemove does not do 3G anymore, they moved everything over to Truemove-H.

So the coverage maps are correct, but for pricing we have to look at the following truemove-H page:

Truemove-H 3G/Edge packages

And as usual the English page just shows the same info in Thai, and they poured all the info in an image so even Google translate cannot help us out sad.pngsad.png

Corrected True. Thai webdesigners like their images - no google translation for them , yet !

If I'm looking at it correctly, or maybe it just wishfully thinking, true seems to have 3G pretty much everywhere, is this correct?

And great post...

Unfortunately looks are deceiving. If you scroll into the maps you will see that coverage is ... like a zebra is black.. or white....smile.png It is okay at best inside major city's.

I did a refresh in Feb/Mar here: http://www.thaivisa....-service-plans/

The CAT CDMA detail above is more or less outdated as that CDMA network is in the process of being shuttered, maybe as soon as the end of August.

My by CAT is the replacement 3G network, on 850 MHZ, and this is the same physical network as TrueMove H, technically TrueMove H is a CAT MVNO (reseller).

top page in English: http://www.mybycat.com/index.php

Plans (post-paid only at present but little or no residency requirements): http://www.mybycat.c...d=14&sid=44

Coverage: http://www.mybycat.com/area.php?id=25

TrueMoveH/CAT probably have ~ 6,000 base-stations while DTAC and AIS have ~ 3,000 each. Note that AIS subscribers can roam onto TOT's network, although this does seem to cause more issues than it addresses. There is no doubt that TrueMove H/CAT do have the most coverage although the TrueMove H maps seem to be a bit exaggerated, showing both current and planned coverage. AFAIK, their expansion is currently on hold.

TOT currently has 2,300 base-stations with plans for 5,320 by the end of this year per public statements. Not sure how real that may be. They have had little success with their MVNO program. They (TOT) did just cede 40% of their network to Samart subsidiary iMobile Plus, perhaps a relaunch of the iMobile 3GX brand? TOT and CAT are not really retail or customer-focused companies, at least to the degree required for a mobile service provider.

AIS and DTAC are said to be mulling a joint tower company after the 2100 MHZ auction.

This slide, from a True Corp. presentation explains the CAT/True relationship, but it is being revised per orders of the NBTC as it violated too many regulations. Basically CAT must manage the network, which can't bode well for subscribers. ;)

post-9615-0-08342800-1343728763_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

I did a refresh in Feb/Mar here: http://www.thaivisa....-service-plans/

The CAT CDMA detail above is more or less outdated as that CDMA network is in the process of being shuttered, maybe as soon as the end of August.

My by CAT is the replacement 3G network, on 850 MHZ, and this is the same physical network as TrueMove H, technically TrueMove H is a CAT MVNO (reseller).

top page in English: http://www.mybycat.com/index.php

Plans (post-paid only at present but little or no residency requirements): http://www.mybycat.c...d=14&sid=44

Coverage: http://www.mybycat.com/area.php?id=25

TrueMoveH/CAT probably have ~ 6,000 base-stations while DTAC and AIS have ~ 3,000 each. Note that AIS subscribers can roam onto TOT's network, although this does seem to cause more issues than it addresses. There is no doubt that TrueMove H/CAT do have the most coverage although the TrueMove H maps seem to be a bit exaggerated, showing both current and planned coverage. AFAIK, their expansion is currently on hold.

TOT currently has 2,300 base-stations with plans for 5,320 by the end of this year per public statements. Not sure how real that may be. They have had little success with their MVNO program. They (TOT) did just cede 40% of their network to Samart subsidiary iMobile Plus, perhaps a relaunch of the iMobile 3GX brand? TOT and CAT are not really retail or customer-focused companies, at least to the degree required for a mobile service provider.

AIS and DTAC are said to be mulling a joint tower company after the 2100 MHZ auction.

This slide, from a True Corp. presentation explains the CAT/True relationship, but it is being revised per orders of the NBTC as it violated too many regulations. Basically CAT must manage the network, which can't bode well for subscribers. wink.png

Good post !

A the current stage, the go-ahead for the auctions is a bit sketchy at best. This would not be the first time that agreements / co-operations here get challenged by court cases or legal proceedings , as was True by the NAAC I imagine a "Tower Co." regardless whatever participants it will consist of , faces an uncertain future in the thai telecom sector.

The second auction in autumn is more than obsolete. 3G (also known as 3.5/3.75G)wireless services have already passed their due-date. An informed business decision would be to focus towards 3GPP / LTE standards fulfilling the IMT-Advanced specifications..Even in 15 MHz segments LTE is significantly better regarding link/spectral efficiency and data throughput compared to current 3G networks. it is time for the local telco's to be on time at the station and get a nice seat! - instead jump on moving trains - the telco's list of achievements here so far: disastrous network performances, dropped calls. pre-internet data rates - long story short: you better write a postcard to tell someone about your visit in the land of smiles amazing thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

True 3G work in all the towns and in many roads.

I was travelling (in motorbike) from Umphang to Laos and from Chiang Mai to Krabi between May and July and I used a lot my gf's Iphone to check routes or to find waterfalls, parks or temples. Skype or to share internet with my laptop everything great.

Thanks @JakeBKK for the excellent links.

I have a question. Is there any advantage (other than theoretical speed) for doing the Truemove-H 42Mbps package rather than just the regular 3G package. I would be running my iPad 3 on it. I don't do a lot of streaming anything.

Thanks

David

• 1 month later...

True-H even works in our village in Ban Kruat, Buri ram. AIS 3G is a joke, they are even behind of DTAC in 3G coverage.

True Mobile and DTAC use the same band. DTAC has interconnection problems for a while. That is why there where fined by the NTC?

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I'm new on this forum but have read a lot and have to say that all of you are very helpful. So just in case, maybe this little trick helps, if it didn't already.

Regarding the pics with price tables etc. in Thai language that Google can't translate... well there's usualy "Terms and conditions" link/page when they put in written/describe the complete table (that G can't translate). And that's usualy plain text so you can translate that.

Thanks,

Damir from Croatia.

• 2 weeks later...

TRUE and DTAG use the 3 G frequency of 850 MHz, which most phones sold in germany cannot use. (e.g. UMTSDualBand 900, 2100 MHz)

so the only choice is to use AIS ?

Or TOT (or one of TOT's MVNOs) as they have 2100 MHz 3G service. Believe they are referenced in the OP?

• 1 month later...

I followed the links here and from a google search for the 3BB hotspots map for BKK and I just get a regular map of BKK with no hotspots marked. Am I missing something? Anyhow, I have noticed that there are 3BB hotspots at the Family Marts, are there any other places such as Starbucks, McDonalds, etc that all have 3BB? I just got the package, so I am a little unfamiliar with the locations.

Thanks in advance!

I followed the links here and from a google search for the 3BB hotspots map for BKK and I just get a regular map of BKK with no hotspots marked. Am I missing something? Anyhow, I have noticed that there are 3BB hotspots at the Family Marts, are there any other places such as Starbucks, McDonalds, etc that all have 3BB? I just got the package, so I am a little unfamiliar with the locations.

Thanks in advance!

Some of them have a marking (ssid) as 3BB_hotspot, some are 3bb_wifi,3bb_wifi@family and many others - even APxxx@FamilyMartxxx. It is no crime to access an unencrypted AP. So give it a try. If you see ChillySpot comming up - it is 3BB!

They have a new map onine - aporoxmatly unreliable for at least for 6 months.

• 1 month later...

The True 3G map for Phuket is totally miss-leading. I have been in Phuket for 2 days now and have never received any 3G service, only 2.5G. I have tried multiple times to enable and disable the 3G service on my phone in hopes to find some 3G but no luck. I even tried to power off and on my phone but still no 3G found. My wife has AIS and it works fine...

The True 3G map for Phuket is totally miss-leading. I have been in Phuket for 2 days now and have never received any 3G service, only 2.5G. I have tried multiple times to enable and disable the 3G service on my phone in hopes to find some 3G but no luck. I even tried to power off and on my phone but still no 3G found. My wife has AIS and it works fine...

What make/model phone do you have? I assume it supports 850 MHz 3G? ANd that you have configured an APN, assuming the baked-in APN is not being picked up by your phone.

I assume you have a TrueMove H SIM? (TrueMove no longer offers 3G, at least until such time as they deploy 2100 MHz.)

• 4 weeks later...

True-H even works in our village in Ban Kruat, Buri ram. AIS 3G is a joke, they are even behind of DTAC in 3G coverage.

yep

CAT is good in our village in Ban Kruat, Buriram

CAT is also good in the cities of Udon, Khon Kaen and Korat, also in BKK

sometimes they even have a 3G signal on Highway 1 between Bkk and Saraburi, but its not stable

AIS 3G is slower than DTAC Edge, a running joke in the Thai forums

AIS 3G is even VERY slow on lower Sukhumvit, in Mochit Bus Terminal and inside Siam Paragon, and they know this quite well

DTAC has very good 3G in Pai

TOT is not too bad in BKK, usually not as good as CAT/True, but at least they have 3G as opposed to DTAC and (worst) AIS who only have hot air

Thais can receive 3G from DTAC and AIS even in the woods of Nakhon Thai in Phitsanuloke. That is because they dont know what they get is Edge and not 3G, isnt it printed on the mobile "3G"? Didnt they subscribe to a 3G promotion? So it must be 3G.

BTW the user interface of DTAC's aircard doesnt indicate whether you are getting Edge, GPRS, UMTS or whatever (some people in this country dream of LTE) - it conveniently just writes "HDSPA"

Edited by uhuh

• 3 weeks later...

AIS 3G is slower than DTAC Edge, a running joke in the Thai forums

AIS 3G is even VERY slow on lower Sukhumvit, in Mochit Bus Terminal and inside Siam Paragon, and they know this quite well

AIS 3G is not just slow in lower Sukhumvit - data throughput is completely non-existent during peak traffic hours when many are in their cars using internet. At Suvarnabhumi airport, data throughput is usually so slow that one cannot even check email. I had AIS for more than ten years and began to wonder why I was even paying for an unlimited data package when I was only getting any data at all about half the time. This was the case for me for at least the past year, and surely AIS are aware of the situation. But I suppose they are happy with the revenue they are receiving by completely overselling their internet connect. So I dumped them and signed on to DTAC. No problems at all with DTAC. Yes, it does slow a little at times in high-density areas, but I always have decent data throughput and it is usually quite good.

Caveat emptor if you are considering signing up with AIS for a data package. Sure, you might get a 3G connection, but good luck getting enough data throughput to even check your email.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I live in CHIANG MAI off Chang Klan Rd near the Shangri La.

TRUE: Have been using a TRUE Move H aircard in my laptop for some time. It has seldom ever been fast, though until last November 2013 it was at least usually stable and usable at my condo. Since then speeds can be really slow at times, I get disconnected frequently, on average about every 15 - 20 minutes though sometimes about every 10 minutes. Sometimes it goes out completely and you cannot get back on for several minutes. Note: In Bangkok I have better luck with my True aircard, though never speedy fast anywhere.

DTAC: Just recently go so fed up with True that I decided to try DTAC. WOW what a difference. No disconnect problems, very stable, and sooooo much faster. Haven't traveled with it yet though.

Caveat emptor if you are considering signing up with AIS for a data package. Sure, you might get a 3G connection, but good luck getting enough data throughput to even check your email.

I had excellent results with the new AIS/2100 MHz 3G service recently.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/649816-a-i-s-one-2-call-3g-pre-paid-sim-on-2100-mhz-3g-a-review/

post-9615-0-28949200-1372923873_thumb.jp