Marriage In Thailand,The Good And The Bad.

The OP's title is expansive, "Marriage in Thailand" but in reality, it's just another "was your wife a ho'?" thread. This will draw on the 'usual suspects' to restate their opinions ad nauseum for nothing more than upping their post count or the mutual dispensing of 'likes'. Then there will be the noisome, vulgar but curiously experienced Newbies shrieking their misogyny before being slapped with (yet another) ban.

I mean are there really any other types of marriage in LOS beyond the smart farang ajarn with the rich, educated Sino-Thai businesswoman living in Bangkok and the dumb, fat, balding, ex-sexpat with the ting tong, cheating, Isaan Princess living in Pattaya? Are there? Honestly?

yes ,there are the ordinary european guys that get married to ordinary thai girls ,it happens all over the world (ordinary guys marrying ordinary girls) ,but then no one cares about those marriages ,do they?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suffered almost exactly the same as Transam back in the west (she was 19, I was 21 when we met)

@the OP

I think you're wrong.

The relationships that fail fall into mainly two categories as far as I can see.

Cat 1) Guys that are so unpleasant, no marriage would work even if the lady was a saint.

Cat 2) Guys that hand their wallets over to the lady, it's all soon gone, the lady can get nothing more, so out they go.

I really don't see the bargirl = marriage failure signs that so many claim.

(maybe they claim that as their girl didn't work in a bar and therefore their marriage can't fail)

My first wife in Britain never went near a bar and was a virgin ,that bloody failedsmile.png

My wife drank and was not a virgin.

My impression, from this thread, is that any marriage to a 'good girl' is doomed to failure.

SC

I suffered almost exactly the same as Transam back in the west (she was 19, I was 21 when we met)

@the OP

I think you're wrong.

The relationships that fail fall into mainly two categories as far as I can see.

Cat 1) Guys that are so unpleasant, no marriage would work even if the lady was a saint.

Cat 2) Guys that hand their wallets over to the lady, it's all soon gone, the lady can get nothing more, so out they go.

I really don't see the bargirl = marriage failure signs that so many claim.

(maybe they claim that as their girl didn't work in a bar and therefore their marriage can't fail)

My first wife in Britain never went near a bar and was a virgin ,that bloody failedsmile.png

My wife drank and was not a virgin.

My impression, from this thread, is that any marriage to a 'good girl' is doomed to failure.

SC

Or those that get married too young don't often work out.

The OP's title is expansive, "Marriage in Thailand" but in reality, it's just another "was your wife a ho'?" thread. This will draw on the 'usual suspects' to restate their opinions ad nauseum for nothing more than upping their post count or the mutual dispensing of 'likes'. Then there will be the noisome, vulgar but curiously experienced Newbies shrieking their misogyny before being slapped with (yet another) ban.

I mean are there really any other types of marriage in LOS beyond the smart farang ajarn with the rich, educated Sino-Thai businesswoman living in Bangkok and the dumb, fat, balding, ex-sexpat with the ting tong, cheating, Isaan Princess living in Pattaya? Are there? Honestly?

yes ,there are the ordinary european guys that get married to ordinary thai girls ,it happens all over the world (ordinary guys marrying ordinary girls) ,but then no one cares about those marriages ,do they?

Not typically on this forum, no.

And the moral sense of this story is...

Ask the internet council of Thailand experts first before marrying anyone ? I'm really bad with them moral thingies, had to take a wild guess..

And the reason I never ask for advice from anybody here, still want to hear the guy's explanation.

Ask the internet council of Thailand experts first before marrying anyone ? I'm really bad with them moral thingies, had to take a wild guess..

And the reason I never ask for advice from anybody here, still want to hear the guy's explanation.

Some stories have no moral sense. I don;t suppose you ever watched "Lust; Caution". Some stories have moral sense that you might not wish to promulgate.

SC

Some stories have no moral sense. I don;t suppose you ever watched "Lust; Caution". Some stories have moral sense that you might not wish to promulgate.

SC

A quote from a famous scene and written by a famous syfy-writer/director: "Truth is based on our own point of view"

A quote from a famous scene and written by a famous syfy-writer/director: "Truth is based on our own point of view"

You might have a point of view; I don't - I'm objective

Yeah I guessed you are topped on something with alcohol right now but I didn't mean just me in that case.

Quote from a book I'm reading at the moment.

The truth usually promotes conflict

Quote from a book I'm reading at the moment.

The truth is what the truth is; entirely passive. How we promote it, how we interpret it - thus we promote conflict, should we choose to do so. To blame the truth is an appalling abbrogation of our own guilt

SC

The truth is the rift created by two opposing forces. Their volatile power, expanding the gap forcing the truth deeper into the abyss...

Interesting comment, will think about that one. wai.gif

In all honesty why would anyone want to tell the truth to an unknown person on a forum ?

Why would anyone expect the average ex-pat out here to become your Father Confessor ?

In all my time here I have met one guy who I can sit and talk to without either of us trying to win points.

The vast majority of the people I have come across out here seem to have a problem related to inverted snobbery.

Don't get me wrong , I don't want to convert them or change their point of view. I find it easier to concentrate on my wife's and my own life and let them get on with their own lives the way they feel fit.

I'll stop before I start to get punchy

biggrin.png

• Like 1

The truth is the rift created by two opposing forces. Their volatile power, expanding the gap forcing the truth deeper into the abyss...

In all honesty why would anyone want to tell the truth to an unknown person on a forum ?

Why would anyone expect the average ex-pat out here to become your Father Confessor ?

In all my time here I have met one guy who I can sit and talk to without either of us trying to win points.

The vast majority of the people I have come across out here seem to have a problem related to inverted snobbery.

Don't get me wrong , I don't want to convert them or change their point of view. I find it easier to concentrate on my wife's and my own life and let them get on with their own lives the way they feel fit.

biggrin.png

'punchy'? Or 'paunchy'?

I find that sometimes I type too fast for the communication to the central server as well.

Why would one bother to lie on a site like this? It is a lot easier to tell the truth well, than to lie well (unless one has a prodigious memory)

SC

They also say truth hurts. Generally if you cause pain to someone, you'll get resistance. Unless they're masochists, which is pretty much a required trait for an succesful expat.

biggrin.png

Each and everyone has something to offer regardless if the the individual's own opinion contradicts the other's. Experience builds us. If I wanted truth I would visit my former psychology teacher.

Edited by maxme

They also say truth hurts. Generally if you cause pain to someone, you'll get resistance. Unless they're masochists, which is pretty much a required trait for an succesful expat.[sC: My bold]

Suddenly, the reason for my mediocrity becomes clear.

Though thinking of my peers who are more successful, I don't see any trend towards masochism. Maybe its just you...

SC (edit: repetition deleted)

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

biggrin.png

Each and everyone has something to offer regardless if the the individual's own opinion contradicts the other's. Experience builds us. If I wanted truth I would visit my former psychology teacher.

I assume, so that he could disabuse you of the desire for truth. A psychology teacher would seem like the last person one would turn to, in search of truth. That would be like asking a safe-cracker for advice on storing your bullion.

SC

@SC

Or perhaps I would visit him just because I find his advice more solid and reasonable. It's rather logic that we find the solution to the most incomprehensible problem in the advice from individuals that make us realize that we knew it all along.

Edited by maxme

Though thinking of my peers who are more successful, I don't see any trend towards masochism. Maybe its just you...

Could well be. I'd be much obliged if you'd test my theory on your peers by offering a good 'ol whipping to them and posting statistics of the results. I use TVF as the primary source for statistics.

Read somewhere a long time ago that "everyone is the sum of all the people they have ever met".

Is that why I prefer dogs to people as De Gaul once said ?

I can't believe that de Gaulle said that about you.

@SC

Or perhaps I would visit him just because I find his advice more solid and reasonable. It's rather logic that we find the solution to the most incomprehensible problem in the advice from individuals that make us realize that we knew it all along.

So as I first speculated, then.

I find I am quite able to reinforce my preconceptions and prejudices by the example of my fellow posters

SC

@SC

So as I first speculated, then.

I find I am quite able to reinforce my preconceptions and prejudices by the example of my fellow posters

SC

Or it's just a shroud shaped by each invidual's defense mechanism not to reveal their true identity.

Deep thoughts are burrowed with a great deal of effort for a reason. I doubt you can put it all in black and white. It's possible to predict some manners and behaviors of the individuals on TV but to see the true person inside the shell... not likely....

Edited by maxme

... Then there will be the noisome, vulgar but curiously experienced Newbies shrieking their misogyny before being slapped with (yet another) ban...

thumbsup.gif

Right ,most of the newbies on here are the guys who have had a two week holiday staying in the beach road area and think they are "travelled" because once they went on a trip down sukhumvit to the floating market,and spent every night in a bar ,now they are experts on Thailand and relationship matters here.