Rush To Prepare For Floods: Thailand

webfact

INUNDATION

Rush to prepare for floods

The Nation

30187441-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Irrigation officials are urgently fixing gates and embankments along key waterways - timely repairs that will be crucial in saving many areas in the Central region from flooding this year.

The rainy season has already started and several agencies are preparing to fight any flooding. For its part, the Royal Irrigation Department is rushing to finish repairs to many water gates and embankments along major rivers.

To be completed before the end of August are water gates on Wat Dok Mai, Klong Wat Tamnak, Klong Wat Sakae, Klong Koh Pin, Klong Wat Sing, and Klong Kanorn.

Already repaired are the Klong Ban Tat, Klong Pa Fai and Klong Bang Parok water gates. Work has also been done on the Singhanat - Lat Lum Kaeo and Singhanat - Sam Khok embankments.

Irrigation officials are now building the Phra Nham water gate in Sing Buri's Prom Buri district.

It is scheduled for completion before the end of September. They are also fixing many parts of the Bang Chom Sri water gate.

Last year, a huge flood crisis began in riverside provinces in the lower Chao Phraya basin around October.

Rush to prepare for floods: Thailand

oh well .... if my house is one more time flooded ....I will for sure leave this country as nothing has been done in my area to prevent floods again. maybe time also to move businesses a some other area with better water crisis policy.

Now to a Thai, "...urgently fixing..." don't necessarily mean getting it done fast...it just means they need to get it done a little sooner than projected.

no it mean to get it done, not much later than projected.

I never saw, in all the years, a single project that was sooner finish...

Now to a Thai, "...urgently fixing..." don't necessarily mean getting it done fast...it just means they need to get it done a little sooner than projected.

no it mean to get it done, not much later than projected.

I never saw, in all the years, a single project that was sooner finish...

You're correct...I'm not sure the concept of "getting it done sooner versus later" exists in the Thai mentality unless it deals with getting money.

Why you stupid farangs never wabnt to see how much we Thais did.

See what we all did after the flooding of 1942 and 1995 !

A LOT of merit making in the temple, sing hom--hooom- hoooom, hom-hom-hom, paid a lot to politicians, even started to make plans.

Plans that have yet to be implemented apparently. It took 60 years to build an airport that is already falling apart and I'm wondering how much longer before you come up with a drainage system that works. Perhaps employing the services of some stupid farangs who know what they are doing might help? I don't think that making merit will be any more effective that the assertions of the sycophants of Canute. The same goes for paying politicians.

There are several reasons why similar floods will not occure this year:

1. The dams was emptied in time. Last year the dams weren't emptied and by the time the previous government woke up to the fact they made a mistake it was too late and they past the buck to the new government. PTP only formed a new government in August and by that time many areas in the north and central regions was already under water. A friend of us in Singburi was under water in June last year and this year there is no flood waters.

2. The water retention areas will ease the flow down stream as water will be let into these areas and as the threat of flooding recede the water will be let out of the retention areas.

3. The most important is however the lower than expected rainfall this year of 1 500 mm compared to last years 1 800 mm.

The heading of the article is misleading as it sounds as if floods are on it's way. The truth is that there are no reports of any flood water buildup in the north or central regions. Sensation seeking is the plague of media these days.

Or any days, for that matter.

It took 60 years to build an airport that is already falling apart

That's the fault of the foreign airplanes, which keep landing there,and wearing it out prematurely. laugh.png

<snip for brevity>

The heading of the article is misleading as it sounds as if floods are on it's way. The truth is that there are no reports of any flood water buildup in the north or central regions. Sensation seeking is the plague of media these days.

Then we must have imagined the floods and landslides over in Nan, some months ago, and the closure for a few days of the railway from Chiang Mai, due to flooding near Den Chai ?

The monsoon-season started three months ago in the North-West.

Then we must have imagined the floods and landslides over in Nan, some months ago, and the closure for a few days of the railway from Chiang Mai, due to flooding near Den Chai ?

The monsoon-season started three months ago in the North-West.

Those were flash floods which can happen anytime in a rainy climate. It is true that this year rains way less than the last year, and some parts from North or North East get even less rainfall than average!

http://www.arcims.tmd.go.th/dailydata/yearRain.php

• Like 1

I still have a problem understanding why everybody fears that a 1-in-70-years-flooding will now happen every year, and especially this year when there has not been especially worrying weather report so far.

It's called event myopia, I believe, and it works both ways. It hasn't flooded before so it never will. Followed by, it flooded last year so it will flood every year.

Part of the human condition.

Thai Insurance companies have decided not to give flood cover this year anywhere. The exception is for existing customers to be offered cover in selected areas with a 1,000 TB limit, that really goes a long way. So if you live in a two storey start moving upstairs now and if in a single storey move, no other answer.