Condemned Police Officers, Two Others Freed On Bail: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must confess ... I was a tad taken aback, however, let's wait and see what transpires. My guess is that the sentences will never be executed (pun intended) as there are too many upper echelon figures in the firing line. What does amuse me however is the vitriolic re this unhappy mess. This is Thailand folks, stop expecting things to work as they do in Falangland, some of you posters have been here long enough to know this but you still bitch on as if you are living in the worst country in the world. Do I think this decision is OK? Hell no, but of more importance is what do the Thais think about it and, moreover what are they prepared to do to stop this kind of insanity. Mai pben rai I'm afraid. No matter how long you have lived here, we are still visitors, this is their country and it is up to the Thais to stand up and be counted. If, as a nation they think this kind of judicial behaviour is OK then who are we to try and effect change? Just like traffic, edging little by little to get into Sukhumvit from a side soi, there comes a time when critical mass takes over and the soi cars move forward and Sukhumvit gives way. Maybe this will happen here in LOS, but don't hold your breath.

They are innocent until proven guilty. What kind of a country do you think this is.

Did I miss something?

They were found guilty by the judge/s and their penalties were given.

They have the right to lodge an appeal, that is a given.

But that appeal should come from inside a cell, behind bars. Not the smoking lounge of the Pink Pussy Cat Bar.

I think he was having a shot..........If so, thats my kinda humour.

They are innocent until proven guilty. What kind of a country do you think this is.

If that is the case, why are so many innocent protestors still being detained awaiting trial; as we speak?

Still innocent until proven guilty.

Thaksin cant get every one out of jail, Just some of the police that killed thousands of innocent victims. On his orders.

All of us we understand that the FIVE policemen (even the sentenced to death) are freed on bail but read the title "Condemned officers, two others freed on bail"

What does it mean. Maybe only 2 freed on bail and the 3 other ones are still in jail.

++++

Now let me tell you another story. A Cambodian national I follow had been caught with 3 Thai nationals. Drug case. The Cambodian pretends to be innocent. Looks to be innocent.

First court: the Thais condemned, the Cambodian declared to be innocent BUT BOT RELEASED until appeal. It means someone who had been recognized innocent was jailed (not exactly remand when we speak about 5 or 6 years).

Appeal; the Thais become innocents and the Cambodian sentenced to 35 years.

Still in jail since 12 years now. 34 years old. He was 22 at the time.

If you are a rich Thai guilty policemen you can have bail. If you are a poor innocent Cambodian, no release, no bail.

Egregious is the word that comes to mind........even though it may be a forbidden subject here at TV, I can't help but pause and remember the poor old sod that died in prison for a few SMS messages.......certainly more dangerous to society than murder(s) by cop

• Like 1

We know that Thai people are not disgusted by corruption when it means "commissions" (in farang countries, this is called lobbying) but when the judges act so obvioulsy like xxxxx, don't be gullible, poor Thai people are not gullible, they know that these judges are enemies of the justice, enemies of the poor people (let's say reds). This kind of judges are making the bed of a new society, without the corrupted bangkokian elites.

We know that Thai people are not disgusted by corruption when it means "commissions" (in farang countries, this is called lobbying) but when the judges act so obvioulsy like xxxxx, don't be gullible, poor Thai people are not gullible, they know that these judges are enemies of the justice, enemies of the poor people (let's say reds). This kind of judges are making the bed of a new society, without the corrupted bangkokian elites.

These judges are helping the reds by letting them out on bond.

Amazing, but to give another example: feb this year, a drunk guy without a license who has been taken of the road multiple times before, loses control of the car he is driving, kills a 16 year old girl.

The judgement:

- he is partially mentally disabled (who's not?)

- he is not allowed to drive for 5 years...? (He wasn't at all in the first place!!)

- sentenced to 15 months in jail (that's 10 real months as you only serve 2/3rd of yr sentence)

- minus off the jail time served before sentencing...he probably is free by end of this year...

That's in the Netherlands...considered a real democracy with a functional and developed justice system....

This is very sad and a huge blow to anyone with sympathy towards Thailand - me included.

The first conviction in Thaksin's war on drugs & they blow it. It must send an awful message to any witness in other similar cases. It's no wonder that so few cases have resulted from the 'licence to kill' granted to the police by Thaksin.

At the risk of annoying you even further you may (or may not, it's up to you) wish to look at the only (apparently, according to the link itself) english translation of just what exactly Thaksins orders were ( or "licence to kill" as you describe it )

http://www.article2.org/mainfile.php/0203/83/

Now I've read them and I can't see a licence to kill there. I'm not denying it happened but I think you need to be looking more towards various police officers and the ministry of the interior of the time for the fatal "interpretation" of orders. Don't forget there's been about 3 enquiries so far on this and not even abhisits enquiries got anywhere to pinning the blame on Thaksin.

I'm very confused because reading the posts in this topic, it looks like you consider the problem is the five bandits.

You cannot be mad at a prisoner (guilty or not) to try to be out on bail. These ones are mafioso, they obtained to be out on bail.

They played their games, you cannot be mad at mafioso to be mafioso. They are not involved in politic, they are just mafioso (as they are policemen).

The real problem in this story is THE JUDGE who is himself a mafioso. As you know the judges in Thailand are very close from the elites, they are the elites.

Amazing, but to give another example: feb this year, a drunk guy without a license who has been taken of the road multiple times before, loses control of the car he is driving, kills a 16 year old girl.

The judgement:

- he is partially mentally disabled (who's not?)

- he is not allowed to drive for 5 years...? (He wasn't at all in the first place!!)

- sentenced to 15 months in jail (that's 10 real months as you only serve 2/3rd of yr sentence)

- minus off the jail time served before sentencing...he probably is free by end of this year...

That's in the Netherlands...considered a real democracy with a functional and developed justice system....

That is why, there are so many Dutch expats here, you feel at home whistling.gif

We know that Thai people are not disgusted by corruption when it means "commissions" (in farang countries, this is called lobbying) but when the judges act so obvioulsy like xxxxx, don't be gullible, poor Thai people are not gullible, they know that these judges are enemies of the justice, enemies of the poor people (let's say reds).

This is oversimplification. I know people from the mid-low layers of the Thai society who claimed that they wouldn't mind having different kinds of low-life forms such as motorcycle robbers or yabaa dealers being shot on sight by the cops and therefore wouldn't expect the said cops to get into the slightest kind of trouble for this. Would the poor sods whose lives have been taken by the judged cops qualify as worth the trouble by them? not sure.

Not all Thais care about justice. Actually some of them, otherwise nice and friendly people, can sometimes say things that really give me goose bumps. Things that would place them ideologically just a bit further right than the hard-core neo-fascists we have in Europe.

This kind of judges are making the bed of a new society, without the corrupted bangkokian elites.

I think you really need to go live out of Bangkok. You have something against Bangkokians ;-)

More seriously, I think that corrupt cops aren't especially linked to the bangkokian elite, whatever this is. The worst of the worst do their daily evil deep in the Thai countryside. Some of them are close friends to local high-ranked red politicians as well.

Edited by Lannig

<deleted>? I love this country but this is a f#$*ing disgrace. These guys ARE convicts and are supposed to be on death row.And any appeals process should be conducted whilst they are in custody. Of course they are a flight risk. Does the judge [or anybody with a brain] honestly believe they are going to hang around waiting to get their necks stretched ? Personally I would be off like blue cheese. I hope these guys do do a runner as they deserve it because of this laughable decision by a laughable 'figure of authority'. bah.gif I p$$$ on this decision.

Wonder whether Thaksin has anything to do with influencing this decision ? I mean these events happened under his orders on his watch. If these government officials burn then he may well be in a spot of bother reference human rights abuses himself. More bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif .

I agree, if I was on death row and granted bail I would be off like a shot also. What are they going to do to me if they catch me a few years later, kill me?

Where do a few of you come from even in the states a murder defendant can be granted bail as well as a convicted murder awaiting appeal. This is more likely granted to someone of influence kind of the same as Thailand.

I know some who was accused of murder and they were locked up for a month awaiting the second bail hearing as the first was sandbagged by the district attorney. The bail amount was reduced 500,000dollars from 1 million when friends of the charged testified to his sterling character. Eventually the DA dropped the murder charge for lack of evidence but the ddefendant had to plead to a lesser charge of destroying evidence and it was finished as time served. The system is not perfect at home or in Thailand.

Where do a few of you come from even in the states a murder defendant can be granted bail as well as a convicted murder awaiting appeal. This is more likely granted to someone of influence kind of the same as Thailand.

I know some who was accused of murder and they were locked up for a month awaiting the second bail hearing as the first was sandbagged by the district attorney. The bail amount was reduced 500,000dollars from 1 million when friends of the charged testified to his sterling character. Eventually the DA dropped the murder charge for lack of evidence but the ddefendant had to plead to a lesser charge of destroying evidence and it was finished as time served. The system is not perfect at home or in Thailand.

At least they keep CONVICTED murderers behind bars until further notice though.